Start by marking “Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World” as Want to Read:
Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World

Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World

Minimalism is the art of knowing how much is just enough. Digital minimalism applies this idea to our personal technology. It's the key to living a focused life in an increasingly noisy world.

In this timely and enlightening book, the bestselling author of Deep Work introduces a philosophy for technology use that has already improved countless lives.

Digital minimalists are
Published February 5th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Digital Minimalism, please sign up.
Kate Having read both, I would say Deep Work is a much stronger book overall - if you had to pick just one to read, pick Deep Work over Digital Minimalism.…moreHaving read both, I would say Deep Work is a much stronger book overall - if you had to pick just one to read, pick Deep Work over Digital Minimalism. Deep Work is a core philosophy; Digital Minimalism is a supplemental tool that might help you implement that philosophy. But they are technically stand-alone books.(less)

Kelly
Although at times it made me annoyed for how into only citing dudes or dude-centric work it is (hi, the Craft movement has been in the women's spheres for forever, but it didn't become "cool" to do crafts -- whatever craft you prefer -- until dudes "reclaimed" it over the last few decades), this is a really smart, thoughtful, and practical book about how to make sure that social media works for you, rather than you becoming a tool of the social media. I've been doing some of these things in my o ...more
Carl Rannaberg
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I badly wanted to like this book. I really did. Because I have very much enjoyed other books by Cal Newport: So Good That They Can’t Ignore You and Deep Work. Both have inspired me a lot and I have recommended these to others in many occasions.

This book was way below my expectations. I'm afraid it’s not the book, it’s me. The practical value for me was minimal as I have already implemented a lot of things he proposes in the book.

As Cal Newport mentions that he sees the digital minimalism trend g
K.J. Dell'Antonia
I've been thinking a lot these days about making more deliberate tech choices. No one human--not even Steve Jobs--ever expected technology to invade our lives the way it has. Instead, keeping us tethered to our tech and pulling that lever became the most popular and obvious way to monetize the Internet, and we individuals became, not the consumers, but the product being sold. And instead of cutting ourselves some slack--billions of dollars have been spent in the name of making the screens around ...more
Kate Olson
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are ready to make radical changes in your approach to tech in your life, this book is for you. It has been life altering in the best possible ways for me. I’m noticing that the people who aren’t ready to make changes tend to get defensive and call Newport a Luddite 🤷🏼♀

However, if you almost never use your phone except for making phone calls or don’t use social media, you can probably skip it. Or if you’ve already read other books on the topic, maybe this covers the same ground? I haven’t
Mehrsa
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea in here--less is more. We do not need all the apps and the social platforms. He's definitely talking to someone like me here. I am not a huge consumer of these platforms (mostly this is age-related). However, I listened to his book using audible and some apps have really helped me expand my mind (meditation apps and audible are two). There is no room in Newport's framework for using smartphones in a good way. He's sort of an intellectual luddite. I get this and sometimes I think ...more
Kate
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Cal Newport’s Digital Minimalism is Marie Kondo’s tidying philosophy applied to technology: technology isn’t inherently bad or good, but it should be judiciously curated to fit your pre-existing values of what constitutes a good life. Rather than going to Facebook or Instagram or a news feed of breaking news to find human connection and entertainment, pre-decide what you value in the spheres of entertainment and connection and then tailor the tools of social media to achieve those pre-defined ob ...more
Luke Bacich
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep work (Cal's previous book) is my favourite book; it overhauled how I stay focused during the work day in an age of distraction. Digital Minimalism is the perfect sequel. Digital Minimalism removes low impact distractions from your personal life in search of meaningful high quality analogue activities. Between the two books your work and personal life are covered. You come away a far more present and content with your life.
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
Such an important work of non-fiction for anyone who would like to evaluate their relationship with social media. I loved this book -- it spurred me to take a 30-day break from Instagram, and I look forward to re-reading it in the future to keep me thinking about the role of social media and general technology in my life!
Ahmed Alsahaf
The author of this book is a prime example of how one can be very successful, and at the same time incredibly unimaginative.

When the title caught my attention at a bookstore, I had been feeling for a long time that my own consumption of digital content has gotten out of hand. “This looks like something you should read,” said one of the better angels of my nature (brace for many Abraham Lincoln stories if you decide to read the book). With unintended irony, I impulsively Google searched the book
Robert Chang
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cal Newport provided practical advice on how to embrace the philosophy of Digital Minimalism:

- Spend time alone to gain solitude
- Leave your phone at home
- Take long walks
- Write letters to yourself (journaling)

- Don't click "likes"
- Avoid falling into the slot machine feedback loop of likes
- Consolidate texting
- hold conversation office hours
- Reclaiming conversations

- Reclaim Leisure
- prioritize demanding leisure activity over pass consumption
- use skills to produce valuable things in
Olga Shatokha
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, life-changing book. My life already became of a much higher quality with new hobbies.
Ivan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cal Newport has an uncanny ability to synthesize wide-ranging sources and making a compelling, crisply written case. He does it again in this book. He’s no Luddite and he doesn’t encourage mindless tech adoption but instead argues for what he calls “digital minimalism.” The latter two thirds of the book on “practices” were my favorite parts of the book.
Tiffany Freeman
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an important topic to be talking about right now. I feel like a lot of my acquaintances would accuse the author of being a “tech hater,” but I feel like that couldn’t be farther from the truth if you really listen to what he’s claiming. I’m honestly already on board with a lot of the suggestions he shares, so maybe I was an easy sell. But I enjoyed it and my kids even enjoyed the parts I shared with them. Also, it didn’t feel preachy or “self help,” a quality I cannot abide.

Unexpectedly, i
Ahmad Moshrif
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يظل هذا الكاتب الرائع (كال نيوبورت) يتحفني بأفكاره البسيطة والعميقة في نفس الوقت. كتابه السابق Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World كان أحد الأعمدة المهمة في بحثي لكتابي الأخير الذي كتبته وهم الإنجاز: كيف يتحرك العامة وماذا يحفزهم، فمع تقدم التكنلوجيا والمعلومات المتخمة المُتاحة للجميع وسهولة الوصول وإيصال ما نريد إيصاله للآخرين، فقد أصبح العامة من الناس يميلون إلى السطحية في تأدية أعمالهم، والسطحية في استثمارهم في علاقاتهم مع الآخرين والمقربين.

هذا الكتاب جاءني في وقت أعلن
Andriy Rushchak
Дуже вчасна книжка.

Почавши із постановки проблеми - Because checking your likes is the new smoking - автор дає конкретні поради, як позбутися сміття в щоденних звичках використання сучасних технологій. Якщо ви відчуваєте тривогу щоразу, як забуваєте свій смартфон вдома, або ловите себе на бажанні перевірити інста, поки купаєте дитину - ця книжка дасть напрямок, де шукати рішення. І ще - вона пояснить, що проблема не у вашій слабкості, а в цілеспрямованому способі створення сучасних сервісів таки
Daniel
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Newport. So:

1. Digital technology especially social media has enslaved us. Rather than being just a way to connect with our friends, facebook has mastered the art of the slot machine, giving us random and variable rewards. That has been found to be the most addictive of all; just look at slot machines, the Japanese Pachinko or channel surfing. I totally agree with this.

2. The only way out is Digital Minimalism. There are many ways to do it:
2.1. Deleting the mobile facebook app, u
Brad Feld
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I wrote a post / review on this at https://feld.com/archives/2019/03/boo...
Rian Merwe
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book over the weekend, and it exceeded my expectations. I was a little worried it would just be a re-hashing of his previous book Deep Work, through a slightly different lens, but it’s not that at all. Cal brings in lots of psychology, and provides practical (and pragmatic) recommendations for cultivating a better relationship with technology.

He also draws heavily from the experience of about 1,600 people who undertook a 30-day “technology declutter” during the research phase for the
Seth Thomas
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fresh air

I feel like I’ve been slowly moving this direction for a couple of years. This book feels like freedom and confirmation that I/we don’t need the steady social media IV drip to survive and thrive.
Arvind
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Minimalism is something intrinsic to me before I knew about the term, and so was digital minimalism. Sparing you the details, but "screentime" on iphone tells me that my total FB+Twitter+browsing usage on avg is less than 30 mins per day. And apart from goodreads and imdb on which serve an important function for me, I am not on any other SM (including Whatsapp or Insta).
Wished to take a step further and also compare notes. A lot of it - opting for quality communications and avoiding distra
Antonio Gallo
Mi aspettavo molto di più da questo libro. Il "minimalismo" digitale non è altro che quell'acronimo che coniai una ventina di anni fa durante un corso tenuto dall'Università di Londra, "Institute of Education" sul tema "Online Education & Training". Nella dissertazione finale, dopo circa cinque mesi di corso online e a pagamento, ebbi modo di sintetizzare in tre semplici parole quello che l'autore ha esposto nel suo libro: C.A.C. vale a dire "Connection -> Access -> Control". Se decidi ...more
Kent Winward
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Millennial professor telling this Baby Boomer how to deal with technology -- well let me tell you little whippersnapper -- I was around for 8-track tapes -- we old timers know a few things about technology and how to use it properly.

In all seriousness, it raised the question for me that my relationship to new digital media may be different simply because I had a whole lifetime without the tech to prepare me to do naturally what must come hard to digital natives.

Well, back to the Amazon jungl
Paul
I talk about this book some in my wrap-up video here: https://youtu.be/c7_ihA6isJg
Adolfo Neto
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was much more useful than what I expected. Cal gives you a tough but simple way to get rid of digital distractions but still use technology.
Ilona
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For a while now I couldn't find a book that would excite me, and this one broke the spell!

The ideas here are not revolutionary per se, but it's an inspiring overview of the digital existence today.

It's also a good kick in the ass for those of us who allowed scrolling to outshine living. Might need to make some changes right away.
Szymon
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I participated in Cal Newport's digital declutter experiment in 2018 and really benefited from the experience. So I grabbed a copy of his latest book as soon as possible and quickly read through it. Even if I'm not that addicted to the social aspects of social media, I still got a lot from this book. I think its release is very timely and I hope humanity will have conquered this problem in the next decade.
Todd
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Original Review Here: https://blog.grotenhuis.info/2019/02/...

# Digital Minimalism: Reference and Review

[Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World](https://amzn.to/2X9w9bp) by Cal Newport ⭐⭐⭐⭐

# Premise
You’ve probably already heard: billions of dollars are spent on psychology and technology to claim as much of your attention as possible, to sell as much advertisement possible. The addictiveness of sites, apps, and phones is not an accident, but rather a result carefully enginee
Blake
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great concepts, especially when he gets into the ideas of meaningful things to do instead of using social media. Not sure I can commit to trying it but I did implement some changes.
Calvin
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not as good as Newport's other stuff, but still a good quick read with actionable advice that's not just "delete Facebook".
Betsy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Newpirt's book is not rocket science, but I have been thinking about these concepts for a while. Newport helped me put words to what's been bothering me. I appreciate his clear, easy to read prose, even if the ideas aren't 100% new. So, it's a 5 star read partly because of the timing surrounding my reading of it.
  • I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening): A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Conversations
  • Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire Our World
  • How to Be Free: An Ancient Guide to the Stoic Life
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices that Matter)
  • Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • Self and Soul: A Defense of Ideals
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • The New Analog: Listening and Reconnecting in a Digital World
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Beginner's Guide to Digital Painting in Photoshop
  • The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power
  • Works Well with Others: An Outsider's Guide to Shaking Hands, Shutting Up, Handling Jerks, and Other Crucial Skills in Business That No One Ever Teaches You
  • The Greatest Empire: A Life of Seneca
  • Leisure: The Basis of Culture
  • Work Clean: The life-changing power of mise-en-place to organize your life, work, and mind
  • How to Fight
  • Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of Meritocracy
  • Montaigne
Cal Newport is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University, and the author most recently of Deep Work, a book which argues that focus is the new I.Q. in the modern workplace, and So Good They Can’t Ignore You, a book which debunks the long-held belief that “follow your passion” is good advice. He has also written three popular books of unconventional advice for students. Hi ...more
“The tycoons of social media have to stop pretending that they’re friendly nerd gods building a better world and admit they’re just tobacco farmers in T-shirts selling an addictive product to children. Because, let’s face it, checking your “likes” is the new smoking.” 4 likes
“Outsourcing your autonomy to an attention economy conglomerate—as you do when you mindlessly sign up for whatever new hot service emerges from the Silicon Valley venture capitalist class—is the opposite of freedom, and will likely degrade your individuality.” 1 likes