Jump to ratings and reviews

Wicked South: Secrets and Lies: Stories for Young Adults

For good or ill—on the page or in life—few things are more alluring than the siren song of a secret.

At the heart of each story in this genre-crossing collection lies a secret. A boy who is not a boy at all, a neighbor with a mysterious identity, a tortured student with a list that isn’t what it seems, a girl who abandoned the person she used to be at the bottom of a river.

Conflict and possibility are embedded in a secret’s very nature...betrayal and conspiracy are encoded in its DNA. Secrets can transform. They can alienate, anger, or inspire.

One thing is for sure: They make a great story.

WICKED SOUTH: SECRETS AND LIES is an anthology featuring young adult stories by authors from North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. Contributors are New York Times Bestselling author Emily Colin, Elizabeth DeVido, award-winning author Lauren Faulkenberry, Amy Hyatt Fonseca, Lauren Fulcher, award-winning author Robin Kirk, John Klekamp, Karissa Laurel, and Katie Rose Guest Pryal.

252 pages, Paperback

Published October 31, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Emily Colin

10 books178 followers
Emily Colin writes love stories with supernatural twists for adults and teens. Her debut novel, THE MEMORY THIEF, was a New York Times bestseller and a Target Emerging Authors Pick; she followed it up with THE DREAM KEEPER’S DAUGHTER.

Emily is also the author of the young adult, romantic dystopian-fantasy Seven Sins series. SWORD OF THE SEVEN SINS, the first book, was a Foreword INDIES Award finalist, won the YA fiction award of the North Carolina Indie Author Project, and was shortlisted for the 2021 Manly Wade Wellman Award for North Carolina Science Fiction and Fantasy. The second novel of the series, SIEGE OF THE SEVEN SINS, is a 2021 silver IPPY Award winner and Foreword INDIES finalist.

Emily co-edited and contributed to the young adult anthologies WICKED SOUTH: SECRETS AND LIES and UNBOUND: STORIES OF TRANSFORMATION, LOVE, AND MONSTERS, which was a SUSPENSE MAGAZINE “Best of” 2021 pick as well as a 2021 Foreword INDIES Award finalist. DISSENT, the 2022 romance anthology to which she contributed a short story, was a #1 Amazon category bestseller in over eight countries.

Emily's diverse life experience includes organizing a Coney Island tattoo and piercing show, hauling fish at a dolphin research center, roaming New York City as an itinerant teenage violinist, helping launch two small publishing companies, and working to facilitate community engagement in the arts. A former Pitch Wars mentor and KissPitch mentor, Emily is a writing instructor, freelance editor, and book coach. She lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. You can find her at www.emilycolin.com and on IG at @emily_colin.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (54%)
4 stars
2 (18%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Amelia.
172 reviews49 followers
October 6, 2018
4.5 stars**

I'd like to thank Blue Crow Publishing and Librarything from choosing me to review this book early.

It is hard to rate short story collections, especially when each story is different and written by different authors. In saying this I did actually enjoy almost all of the stories, except one.

The one I didn't like is the last story in this book. I didn't think it was well-written and I thought some of the story was a little ridiculous. The concept itself was very interesting, I just thought it could be better written.

I highly recommend the read though! The other stories are fantastic.

Profile Image for Kate Rock.
426 reviews56 followers
November 5, 2018
This was an excellent, fun and exciting group of stories. All of them different, and the writing is beyond excellent. I feel as if I have a perfect new collection of writers to follow and read. This book of stories will be enjoyable to many readers and ages. Fantastic!!
Profile Image for Rebecca.
86 reviews
February 12, 2019
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

The theme of this anthology of short stories for young adults is secret and lies and is written by various authors living in the Southern United Stated. All the stories are well written with an interesting twist. The last story is more like a novella then a true short story however I found it to be intriguing. It made me want to know more about the world it takes place in. Overall I really enjoyed reading these stories, I was sad when the book ended. My favorite story was "The List" but they were all very good.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.