Start by marking “Becoming Bodhisattvas” as Want to Read:
Becoming Bodhisattvas

Becoming Bodhisattvas

Best-selling American Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön presents a friendly and encouraging guide to spiritual practice for all those who want to take up the path of the bodhisattva--one who aspires to live life with courage, generosity, patience, fearlessness, and compassion.

The Way of the Bodhisattva has long been treasured as an indispensable guide to enlightened living, offeri
Published September 4th 2018 by Shambhala Publications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Bodhisattvas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Bodhisattvas

Linsey Stevens
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A selection from Iphelia.com’s Editor’s Bookshelf review: I initially thought Becoming Bodhisattvas was a novel text written by Chödrön herself, but it’s actually a commentary on The Way of the Bodhisattva, an eighth-century teaching by the Buddhist monk Shantideva. So, I literally stumbled into reading my first long-form Sanskrit verse, and thanks to Chödrön’s careful dissection and annotation of the ten-part text, I made it through—thinking and feeling a great deal along the way.

I appreciate t
Charles Keatts
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this, it's wonderful and was originally published, as it says, as No Time To Lose.

It's a better title for sure but could be confusing if you already have this book.

I have read some sections many times over the years, not like her other books, more scholarly in a sense but certainly makes Shantideva easier to understand.
Tommy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn't a book I feel I'll ever 'finish', per se. It's a book that Buddhists and aspiring Bodhisattvas can return to time and time again for wisdom and inspiration. Ani Pema Chodron dissects Shantideva's cherished "The Way of the Bodhisattva". Shantideva's classic is written in verse, as a personal meditation, outlining the path of the Bodhisattvas—those who renounce the peace of individual enlightenment and vow to work for the liberation of all beings and to attain buddhahood for their sake. ...more
Beth
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a deep dive into The Way of the Bodhisattva, with Chodron expounding on each verse. Pretty interesting and inspiring if you already have an interest or background in Buddhism; if not, this probably won't be your cup of tea, as there's not a lot of "story" here. As usual, Chodron has a good writing style and a logical, easy-to-understand way of explaining complex concepts.

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Erin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A translation and commentary on a text written by Shantideva. Every time I picked this up I learned something new. For my having so little prior experience with this material, I was amazed at how Chodron's thoughtful commentary made this so accessible. Every page gave me something new to consider.
John
Nov 29, 2018
Danielle Shroyer
is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2018
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g