Start by marking “A Little Change of Face” as Want to Read:
A Little Change of Face

A Little Change of Face

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A unique twist on a trading places story in which a beautiful heroine switches places with her dowdy best friend to test the theory that she only got where she is based on her looks.
Published July 1st 2005 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about A Little Change of Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Change of Face

Amy
Feb 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
So, get this - the lesson learned in this book is: If you're a successful, good looking librarian in a luxury condo, what you need to to do is cut off your hair, wear unflattering clothes, and switch to an entry level job and downgrade your residence. Then you'll find the perfect man.

hahahahahahahahaha.

Excuse me, have to catch my breath.

hahahahahahahahaha.

Ok, now on to the other reasons I hated this book. The lead, Scarlett, is unsympathetic. And her friend Pam is clearly a "frenemy" from the v
Elisa Vangelisti
Lauren si rivolge al lettore un po’ come fa Emma Chase nel suo “Non cercarmi mai più”. Un po’. Che significa poco. Sì perché anche lei ci prova, ma con risultati diametralmente opposti. Mentre Emma risulta spiritosa ed elettrizzante, Lauren diventa ripetitiva e stucchevole. Non è altro che il racconto di una belloccia che si becca una malattia esantematica e pensa di rendersi bruttina per capire se è vero che – ahilei povera cocca – tutto le vada bene solo perché madre natura l’ha graziata. Ora, ...more
Heather Balog
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Leah  St.James
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Yesterday I posted a less-than-stellar review of my initial opinions of this book, then felt terrible for the rest of the day. I know how much work it is to create and release a novel, and I have no doubts that Ms. Baratz-Logsted poured a lot of time, energy and emotion into this story. She deserves better than the wise-cracking criticism of someone with one whole published book under her belt (meaning me). I deleted my original review and am reposting.

My main problem at this point is a heroine
Karen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first half of this book was so painful I wanted to smack someone. And not just because the last job I held before I became a mom and writer was as a librarian. And before that, I worked twelve years in law. And before that I put myself through college by working as a model among other jobs. I should have related to the main character, but I didn't, and I really wanted to smack her.

People don't become librarians because they are not clever enough to do anything else. Or because they are afra
Sherri Hunter
Nov 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit, not-for-me
Didn't really care for this one. I thought Scarlett spent way too much time trying to justify her looks and REALLY if your so-called best friend resents you because you are more attractive than she is, then SHE ISN'T YOUR FRIEND!!!!

Since when is getting a man a competition? It shouldn't be, but sure feels that way with Pam. This woman came across as very bitter and I can see why she isn't in a relationship.

For me, the story just seemed to drag and Scarlett spent way too much time rambling. I fou
Jenni
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I always finish books... wait, I still haven't finished Frankenstein, however, I will attempt it again. I almost put this book down one, two, three... countless times. However, I wanted to see if it "got better." Well, it didn't. Yes, I want to spend my spare time reading about how beautiful, thin, sexy and amazing one person is. Wow, Stella has never had to worry that I guy won't call her back. Come on! She also has a nice inheritance, so a librarian can up and move, take an entry-level job and ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
This chicklit novel tells the story of Scarlett Jane Stein. It is the reverse of the ugly duckling becomes a swan story. Scarlett decides to look the worst she possibly can, wanting to see if people treat her any differently. But, the book started off pretty slowly - the transformation doesn't start until a third of the way through the book. It was okay, but it wasn't particularly funny, and some of the character's actions bothered me - they didn't seem quite consistent. And it's quite explicit ...more
Alvera
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Funny, at times over-the-top and at times insightful on our relationships with our bodies, our friends, and the opposite sex.

"'Be yourself' -- two throwaway words, like something you'd see in a high school yearbook alongside 'don't ever change' and 'friends 4 ever.' Two simple words, which were in essence the two words I'd really been saying to Sarah with my longer-winded exhortation to focus on her positive attributes, designed to put people at their ease; in reality, two of the most fear-provo
Heidi
I like Chick Lit. I never expect to read the best novel of our time, but I do expect to be entertained. This book sadly lacked any entertainment value. The story was alright and the end had a peachy lesson of the day, but getting to it was like getting out of quicksand. I struggled to get through it and gave up a number of times. The characters weren't really interesting or well developed, especially considering how Scarlett is supposed to learn so much about herself.

If I could have just read t
Connie Fischer
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Scarlett is a pretty woman with a nice figure and a good job and approaching her 40th birthday. She's never been married and seems content with that. It's her "friend," Pam, who tells her she needs to change her looks to make herself appear dowdy and see if men are drawn to her for her looks or for herself. She agrees and after a lot of hoopla, this "test" is shown to be what one would think: wrong. Hope I'm not giving too much away on this book, but while there were some funny places, the whole ...more
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Delightful. Hits the spot the way a big ol' spoonful of cookie dough does. Yum. Sweet, cute, sexy, but also some serious reflections on the lives of modern women and girls. And surprisingly, the real love story of a woman and her Best Girlfriend, much more than the story of a woman and a man. Fun, bright, charming, witty, and deeply nice in a totally-not-sarcastic-or-snide way.
Kim
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite Red Dress Ink books. I liked the story, though it seemed to drag at times. I just couldn't get past the fact that Scarlett/Lettie didn't have much of a backbone until the very end. More than that, I couldn't read any pages where Pam was speaking without wanting to hurl the book across the room. With evil "friends" like that, who needs enemies?!
Katie
May 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011books
Wow...I usually love Red Dress Ink Novels, but this character goes against the classic heroine of Red Dress and hides the fact that she is intelligent and beautiful to find the perfect man. Please...
Heather
Jun 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I couldn't get into the book, the writing was sloppy and I didn't appreciate the language. Don't get me wrong, I can look past a few swear words, but constantly reading the "F" word really turns me off to a book. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
Danielle
Jan 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I like this author a lot, but this book was horrible. Maybe I was just offended that they'd turn the libarian into someone dowdy and passive. Don't bother reading this unless you're stuck on a life raft and have stopped counting sharks.
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Meh. I was very frustrated that the main character didn't notice that her best friend was out to destroy her. What kind of friend is that? Do you think so poorly of yourself that you don't think you need friends who support you? Change was not the issue in this novel, but the way change came about.
Christy
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is one of the first books I've read that reversed the makeover process. A beautiful woman makes herself less attractive to determine the role that beauty plays in her relationships. The ending was just way too convenient, though.
Ellen
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was a little change of pace from the normal chick lit book I enjoyed but still found it fun to read and hard to put down.
Bree
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, although it didn't have much depth to it. It was an easy read and entertaining at the time, so 3 stars it is!
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Beautiful woman gives herself a makeunder to prove she is more than just a pretty face. Very cute.
Julia
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such an easy read and fun.
Maria
Jan 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
A very superficial and pointless book. I didn't even finish it.
B-original
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all women who need to remember to "be themselves"
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was funny, sweet, and honest
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Pretty woman changes into ugly when her "best friend" thinks that is the only reason men like her.
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept for a story but poorly executed.
Laurie
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Fairly entertaining chick-lit book...no literary masterpiece, but a fun read
Dawn
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Got it, she's pretty and has big boobs. Oh, and bad taste in friends. Poor little rich girl. Blah. 2 stars is generous.
Shanon
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of insulting. And frustrating: how could she not see that Pam was a horrible person?
Melissa Imhoff
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I thought it was a little boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mafia Chic (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Up & Out
  • Tallulahland
  • Let's Meet on Platform 8
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Girls' Global Guide to Guys
  • Larger Than Life
  • The Stepmother
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • The Shiksa Syndrome
  • The Northern Devil (Devil, #4)
  • Loose Screws
  • A Version of the Truth
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...