Start by marking “Families and Other Enemies (Cape Charade, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Families and Other Enemies (Cape Charade, #1.5)

Families and Other Enemies

(Cape Charade #1.5)

I don’t remember an entire year of my life.…
I still don’t remember, but I know what happened now.
I had a baby, and that changes everything.

Kellen Adams has fought battles, saved lives, earned the respect of her colleagues and the love of her friends. But now, can she triumph against the greatest challenge of her life — her family?
Published January 1st 2019 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about Families and Other Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Families and Other Enemies

Julie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Families and Other Enemies by Christina Dodd is a 2019 HQN Books publication.

For those following along with the series, this short story follows Kellen, (Cecilia), as she struggles to come to terms with the shocking discoveries she made regarding the ‘missing year’ of her life.
Life altering developments have her traveling to Virtue Falls, where she meets up with one of my favorite characters from the VF series, Kateri Kwinault. How cool is that?

Kellen does some serious soul searching about he
Maureen Carden
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supense, netgalley, family
Families and Other Enemies is the perfect bridge novella between Dead Girl Running and What Doesn't Kill her.
When former Army Captain Kellen Adams finds out what happened to her during the year of her life she spent in a coma, she doesn't react in a particularity brave way. She goes on the run.
Telling her newly discovered daughter, Rae, and her rediscovered lover, Max Di Luca that she needs time to process all of these life changing events, Kellen hits the road.
After an extremely upsetting visit with he
Anna
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I voluntarily read and reviewed an copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this book via Netgalley.

Short novella. There are some suspense, there is no any romance. It's just a prologue to next book in series. And I'd like to read more from this series.
It has an interesting plot, I liked author's style.
Carolyn
Shelves: dodd-christina
This is SUCH an amazing series. Even better, Kellen Adams is SUCH an amazing character. What a teaser this little treasure turned out to be. I cannot wait for the next book, "What Doesn't Kill Her," coming out on 1/29/19.
Pennie Morgan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stop! If you haven't read the first book in the series, go read it NOW, I mean it, you will not be disappointed and then come back and read this one. I picked this one up immediately after finishing the first one, "Dead Girl Running" and read this in one sitting. This one has Kellen coming to grips with the realization of the missing year in her memory and during that year she evidently had a baby! She doesn't know how to be a mother and doesn't think she can so she does what she does best and r ...more
Robin Loves Reading
At the end of Dead Girl Running, the first book in the Cape Charade series, Kellen Adams received life-changing news, she had a baby seven years ago. Yes, this is news to her. As this series has revealed, Kellen has suffered memory loss. Well, she still cannot remember, but facts are facts. Max, the man she fell in love with after escaping her brutal husband is indeed the father of a little girl who is most definitely her daughter.

In this book, Families and Other Enemies, Kellen is now fa
Donna Hines
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Kellen can't quite remember everything but she's certain she had a baby.
While this is a short read in the Cape Charade series it's also up for interpretation as it leaves more questions than answers.
I'm not sure what more to say other than I've always loved Christina Dodd and her writings and this one is not much different.
If only we could choose our family. Blood is not always thicker than water.
It tackles some heavy hitting topics that deserve our attention.
Stevie Carroll
Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

Kellen Adams remembers little of the months leading up to the head injury that left her in a coma seven years ago, although some of her memories have been returning as people from her old life have got in touch. At the end of the first novel in this series, Kellen met for the first time her daughter, born while Kellen was in a coma, and was struggling with how to cope with sudden motherhood. Now recovering from the injuries she sustained
Paula Pugh
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Families and Other Enemies is the perfect short story compliment to What Doesn’t Kill Her released January 19, 2019. It is the story of what happens to Kellen Adams after all the chaotic events in What Doesn’t Kill Her. I loved the way this short story combines Kellen’s distress with that of Ralph Bellingar, a veteran who suffered from PTSD and left his young family because of all the PTSD was doing to him. Their interactions and situations make an impression on the lost Kellen which lead her to ...more
Kimberly
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Newell
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic action packed short story. I can wait for the next installment for these characters. Rae by far is my favorite character. She is a happy and joy filled little girl. Highly recommend reading this short story. There is still so much to learn about these characters, I can not wait to learn what happens next.
Alisha
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story that gives more insight into Kellen. Can't wait for next full length book. Hoping for more with Max and her daughter
Tom Mc Kenna
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up to 5.
Cdludwick
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok novella continuing Kellen Adams’s story. Down rated because of Hallmark movie-esque storyline with elderly vet. Too many happy endings to complex problems solved too easily for me. Looking forward to next book in the series, because Dodd does a much better job in a full length format.
Ann Fleming
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Captivating.
Good character development
Andria Potter
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was a different yet fascinating read. I liked the characters, though there were several issues I had with this book. So while I liked it, I likely won't reread it.

Updated Review:

Well, this was a bit different from my usual read, though it was short so I could easily knock it off the list. This has a potential minefield of triggers, though, so let’s just get into that before doing the review!:

Warnings: child abuse, homelessness, attempted murder, murder, spousal abuse, one scen
Charlotte Pawson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cecilia Adams has led an eventful life. When her parents died she went to live with Aunt Cora and her daughter Kellen her spitting image. She got into an abused marriage and when Kellen came to help her she got killed in error for Cecilia. She took Kellen identity but due to been shot got amnesia and forgot she had a daughter. This is an involving story following Kellen as she comes to terms with taking on a new family. She comes across those who live on the streets in Virtue Falls Helping at th ...more
Jessica Woods
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Families and Other Enemies is a short intro novella into the series about Kellen Adams. Kellen is a survivor- a survivor of an abusive husband, a survivor of the armed services, a survivor of long term coma, and a survivor of the streets. Kellen is tough as nails but struggling to adapt to her life after waking up from a coma to discover that she has a child she does not remember. Running from her family and her past, Kellen must come to terms with who she is and learn to be a mother to her litt ...more
Sharon Grow
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her abusive ex-husband killed Kellen. He meant to kill her…his wife, Cecelia, but as the cousins looked so much alike, he killed Kellen by mistake. Now Cecelia has become Kellen, retired Captain Kellen Adams, former marine. There is time missing from her memory, but she knows she had a baby who is now seven-years old. Kellen had been managing the Yearning Sands Resort, but now must face her past in order to accept her future. A thoroughly intriguing novella from Ms. Dodd. I had not read the prev ...more
BoxerLover2
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
The main protagonist is Kellen Adams. Or is it Cecilia Adams? There was a murder. There was amnesia (because of a bullet to the brain). There was family (adopted family, military family, the family you make in a homeless shelter and the family that includes a 7 year old daughter that Kellen doesn’t remember).

This was an interesting read that left me with questions:

Where did the bullet come from? Was it in combat or something else?
Who is this Max (the baby daddy) and what is th
Anne Szlachcic
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a novella that links books 1 & 2 in the Cape Charade series featuring Kellen Adams .
It provides further insight into Kellen's conflict after the discoveries of her memory and the family
left behind . The complexity of the family dynamics and their willingness , however reluctantly , to allow Kellen to find her own way gives the ongoing story more strength .
This book provides a link between the 2 books and gives the reader a better understanding of Kellen and the
JG
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short novella that connects the first book's storyline with the next one. Kellen Adams still has memory loss but on the bright side she gains a daughter whom she never knew about and a lover who she wouldn't mind rekindling the relationship with. If she can only remember! This one is set in Virtue Falls (which is also another series by the same author) and it puts perspective in how Kellan ends up dealing with her current situation. Its a nice way of connecting the ending of the last b ...more
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
This is a short novella between book one and two in the Cape Charade series. Christina Dodd has masterfully created a story line and characters that just, flat out, refuse to be ignored. In this installment the reader is given an introspective glimpse into Kellen’s conflict regarding recent discoveries and also allowed us to witness some isolated interactions with tertiary characters. This definitely helps the reader develop a rapport with Kellen’s character leading into the next book. Easy 5 st ...more
Alain Kraussman Hall
Another winner!

The goal of a short story is to lure you in and make you wish there was more to read. Christina Dodd absolutely accomplishes that goal with this book. If you haven't read any of her Virtue Falls series or Cape Charade series, then you definitely are missing out on some of the best suspense novels ever written.
In fact, if you haven't read anything by Christina Dodd, then you are missing out on one of the most talented novelists of the romance/romantic suspense genre.
Terresa
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read with abundant emotions that addresses a variety of real-life situations in a short amount of time. Families and Other Enemies sets the stage for and piques the reader's interest in Dodd's new series. I'm looking forward to learning more about Kellen Adams as well as her family "and other enemies" with the upcoming release of What Doesn't Kill Her. Definitely recommend, especially for fans of Dodd's work!
Edna
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist is Kellen Adams. Or is it Cecilia Adams? The book keeps you on your toes and is a very easy read. Easy, but Families and Other Enemies one I had to finish. I loved the characters within the story. There were soft moments woven within. Who do you root for?
If you are looking for a novel you can finish in a day or so and has real depth and mystery this will be perfect.
Thanks for allowing me to read Families and Other Enemies, it was a pleasure.
Dsbook
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella that would be numbered 1.5 in this series. I have read the first book in this series and really enjoyed it. This novella was very good too but as a novella always is, way too short. I am waiting on book 3 and will grab it as soon as I can. This author does a great job of writing mysteries that grab you from page one
Partfam
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

This review isn't going to be long. I'm not a huge fan of a review rehashing the entire plot and spoiling it for everyone.

I enjoyed this book. I laughed out loud, and cried. I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Kathleen Gray
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short- very short- novella has tickled my interest enough that even though I did not read the first book, I'm looking forward to reading the second. Dodd seems to have laid out the facts and her plot: Kellen isn't really Kellen, she's Christina. Christina's ex-husband meant to kill her but he got Kellen instead so Christina took on Kellen's persona. That's getting harder to maintain, however. I admit to being a bit confused but this is well written and it's got a nice sense of danger lurkin ...more
Emilie Davis
Loved it!

I cannot wait for the next book. This is not your typical mystery/romantic suspense work of art. There are stories within stories in this series and the characters are complex. So much so that each book reveals another layer of the characters' personality. Keep up the good work!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Reclaimed (SEAL Team 12, #8.5)
  • The Reluctant Hero
  • Heart's Desire
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Stars Through the Mist
  • What the Heart Sees
  • Daffodils in Spring
  • Without a Trace (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #3)
  • The Duke's Daring Debutante
  • Lost Alpha: Part 1
  • No Stone Unturned (Lexi Carmichael Mystery #11)
  • Rough Edges (Edge, #5)
  • Miss Merry's Christmas
  • Say Yes
  • Under Currents
  • The Sandburg Connection (Sam Blackman, #3)
  • Stand & Deliver (Men of Haven, #5)
  • Lord Stillwell's Excellent Engagements (Millworth Manor, #1.5)
New and now!
— STRANGERS SHE KNOWS: Cape Charade Full Length Suspense #3 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
— HIDDEN TRUTHS: Cape Charade novella https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
— WHAT DOESN’T KILL HER (had better start running): Cape Charade Full-length Suspense #2, now in paperback with reduced ebook prices! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Readers become writers, and Christina has always been a reader. Ultimately she discovered she liked to read romance best because the rel

Cape Charade (3 books)
  • Dead Girl Running (Cape Charade, #1)
  • What Doesn't Kill Her (Cape Charade, #2)
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)