Start by marking “Alpha Unit One, New York (Alpha Unit One, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alpha Unit One, New York (Alpha Unit One, #1)

Alpha Unit One, New York

(Alpha Unit One #1)

The cat’s out of the bag….

In a world that accepts shifters as normal and thinks nothing of human/shifter couples, baby shifters and small shifters are treated as subpar. They are not allowed into the more dangerous professions, and their mates have legal control over what they can and cannot do.

Nicholas Reed is about to challenge the established rules. At twenty-eight, Nic
Published July 27th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

First impression - If you like Cochet’s THIRDS then this definitely has some close parallels.

-law enforcement unit that is a mixture of both humans and shifters
-leader of said unit is tall, dark, and handsome, who’s been burned by the past but can't help but be attracted to the newest member of the team
-newest member of the team is blonde, snarky, and has a lot to prove despite one big secret, all the while resisting an undeniable pull towards his team leader

Admittedly, this is a very od
Melissa
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifter, 100-200
3 stars for cute factor. 🐈🐀🐣🐢🐇🐕 I love baby a shifter and these guys are adorable! The plot, eh. More like the execution of the plot. Great premise. Don't read this expecting novel of the year, but it's still a fun read. I did skip parts because the action was too ridiculous and I just wanted to see the baby shifters play anyway. 😉

Plot: 3.5 for a great idea
Execution: 2 stars
Cuteness: 5 stars 😻
Overall: 3 stars
SoCalBookReviews
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
~5 Stars~
This book was great! It’s one of those books that you cannot stop reading and you don’t want to put down. I ended up reading this one straight through to the end. I’m not quite sure if this is going to be a series of books or not, but it for sure needs to be. I would love to read more about these characters and learn more about the other Alpha Teams in different cities as well, I really think the premise of this story could be taken a lot further and I would read every single one of the
Debra
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, sweet, sexy and had a different take on shifters.

Nick is 28 years old and a cop who is keeping a secret. When he shifts, he is a "baby shifter". His shifted form is a 3-month-old snow leopard and apparently always will be. When he is in his shifted form he retains his human sensibilities for the most part, but also takes on some of the attributes of the young leopard and the longer he stays shifted, the more they come to the forefront. Outside of his shift
BWT (Belen)
So this was interesting and quite quirky...I'm not sure how I feel about the "baby shifter" aspect, but in all I sped through this and will definitely give the next book, if this turns into a series, a go.
Donna
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-lgbtq
No, this wasn't a 5-star read because it felt like something was missing... but it sure was cute... and adorable... and did I say cute? *grin*

We need more shifter snow leopard cubs in our shifter books...
description

This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it VERY much, but the writing was a bit... lacking? I can't put my finger on it right this second, but it didn't hit any of my emotions except for my "awwwww" one, because... adorable! ;D Hopefully, this will be something we see develop with t
Joyfully Jay
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I have to give author Chris T. Kat credit for creating a new take on shifters in this story. There are many books out there in the genre, and this is the first I have seen that takes on the concept of adults who shift into baby animals. In this case, in human form these shifters are fully grown adults with adult temperaments and abilities. But when they shift, they turn into baby versions of their animals and have a more childlike personality. They end up facing a
Theresa
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF. Very different PNR. Instead of adult omega shifters, there were adult BABY shifters - adult shifters who turned into BABY animals. They acted like BABY animals in their animal forms. They exhibited infantile behaviors in their human forms Their pheromones caused other shifters to treat them like BABIES. It was NOT sexy.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! Different than any other shifter book I have read, Alpha Unit kept me hooked.

Set in a world where shifters and humans live together by baby shifters don’t have a whole lot of freedom. When they mate, their mate decided what they can do. No one understands that just because their shifter is a cub doesn’t mean that they can’t handle dangerous jobs. The human side is an adult. Nicky is proving they can.

I love Sam’s protectiveness and Nick’s determination. They both have to go
Kristin
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a lot of fun reading this book. This was a one-sitting read for me.

Blurb sums up the book fairly well. It’s a society of human and shifters, and shifters come in all varieties including those who revert to a “baby” form. For reasons only barely explained, these “baby” shifters are to be protected, cannot take perceived dangerous jobs, and must have a legal guardian. Baby shifters also have the ability to comfort and soothe, which makes them ideal for care-giving professions.

Nick is one s
Cee Brown
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
•*)
.•.•*) .•*)
(.• (.•`Much like Victoria Sue's Enhanced series, I was captivated by this writer's writing style and the paranormal world she had built. In this world, humans and shifters are well aware of each other and despite some "war-like" qualities earlier, everyone seemed to be getting along. However, certain discriminations occur. One of them hit me hard, as it was apparent that, baby shifters as they were called were the equivalent to omegas in this universe. There were limits to what
llv
Rating: 4 stars
At first I didn’t understand the premise of this story. I wasn’t sure what they meant by baby shifters. Turns out they are shifters who for some reason shift into baby animals instead of full grown ones. Since it is believed that they take on too much of their shifted personality while in human form, they are not afforded the same rights as full grown shifters and must be protected at all costs.

I must say that the cute factor for this story was off the charts. If you are looking f
Myriam
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Again with the pretty cover and the good blurb. I was honestly intrigued by the concept and wanted this to work so bad. And then I stopped taking the protagonist seriously a few pages in. This is one of the main reasons I don't enjoy 1st person pov characters. It definitely lays the characters bare with all their insecurities and doubts before the reader gets to know and love them despite them. I don't want to read about the badass cop and his first day jitters. Especially not if he 'talks' like ...more
Claudia
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this story but in the end it was annyoing. the development of the relationship was not as well done as I hoped ... honestly, I was annoyed with Sam .. and than with Nick because of how they interacted.

the suspense part was nearly not there and I was disappointed in how this part in the end played out
Christy
3.5 Stars ~ It was one small portion of the blurb that really made me interested in reading this book: “baby shifters and small shifters”. My mind latched onto that immediately and screamed “ooh, new take on lore in worldbuilding”. I love interesting worldbuilds especially when it’s original and not something I’ve seen before so Chris T. Kat caught me before I even opened the book.

In this world baby shifters are shifters whose animal form doesn’t match their human persona – regardless of their
Diverse
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

+++++++++++++++++++

I have not read very many shifter books, but this one is definitely different than any I’d read before.

We have a world where shifters are accepted and human/shifter couple are as well. Nicholas Reed has started his dream job in New York’s Alpha Unit One-a very elite law enforcement team. Nick is excited, nervous and hiding a couple secrets. When Nick meets his new boss, Sam Black, he knows all his secrets are going to be found out.

Sam is a lion shifter and everythi
meep
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bbj, arc
Alpha Unit One, New York is a new book by the wonderful Chris K. Kat. Nicholas Reed is a new member of Alpha Unit One, an elite law enforcement team that is made of both humans and shifters. It's his dream job but while applying he leaves out a very important piece of information. The leader of said team, Sam Black, is a lion shifter and Nick's mate. Nick has to make an important decision, his mate or his job?

Nick's character was very cute. He was funny, good at his job and while in his second f
NeRdyWYRM
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SERIOUSLY

Baby shifter forms?! How could I resist.

It's a little disjointed and the plot has holes, BUT! The twist on the common shifter trope is worth the read.

I'm looking forward to book 2. I just hope it fills a couple of gaps in the story arc and it's slightly more polished in terms of flow and continuity.

Either way, this is one to watch for additional installments.
Ivy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review at :

description

Nicholas Reese is 28 years-old. He dreams to be a cop and especially a member of the Alpha Unit One. It’s a unit where humans and shifters work together. Nicholas decides to enter this unit as human and does everything in his power to keep his secret safe, but he didn’t plan to meet his true mate in the person of Sam Black an alpha lion shifter and his boss.
They will have to decide what they really wan
Lisa
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read. I loved the idea of the baby shifters. Hard to get around the idea that a grown man could be a baby shifter. This of course led to some laughs as Nicky shifted into his baby snow leopard. Also when he was playing with Connor and drinking his milk. It was adorable.
However,as I was reading all I could think about was the thirds series and how similiar this book was.
I do wish there was a book 2 though.
Debra Guyette
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the work of Chris T. Cat. This one is fast paced and full of surprises. I did not want to stop reading until I read the last word. Sam and Nicky were incredible together. the new world for this one is fascinating. I can't wait for more. There is another coming out and I have pre-ordered it.
Angie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of several series I have read in some aspects. It was a fast read for me and I really hope there will be more books around this group of characters. I had never heard of baby shifters before but I really liked the concept. Nick and Sam were so good together. The story was good and I think they could have taken things further and made it better. I wanted to see more with Connor, I felt deprived of wha
ConM
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mm-romance, 2019
Fun, light read.
Dawn Liddle
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
* I received a free copy to read and review for wicked reads review team*

I liked this book, I've never read a story with baby shifters before so that was new to me.
Not going to Lie, Nick grated on me and little and I felt sorry for San but I guess that goes with the baby shifter issues.

I hope this turns into a series because I felt the story left a good foundation for future books, I want to see how the whole rebellion will play out.

Overall i enjoyed the book and would read more from this aut
Tj
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-freebie
Strangely cute.
BookPauper

**** 2.5 ****

I couldn’t get over the baby shifter part. It doesn’t sit well and I wish the prejudice could have instead been towards small animal shifters. An adult changing into an baby? (In this case, a 3 month old.) Also, as far as I know, he will ALWAYS be an infant shifter.

One other thing that might have had me hoping for more...the story line is very similar to another M/M romance where a guy comes into a special “shifter unit” of law enforcement and he also happens to form a relationship
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recomm-scav-hunt
I can confess I was over the moon when I saw Chris T. Kat had a new book coming out soon, I’m a huge fan of her works and was very sad when she decided to take some time off from writing. This new release was a fabulous surprise.

I read Alpha Unit One, New York in one night, I devoured it, I fell into the novellas from the start. The writing was so good, I was caught into the plot and couldn’t put down the kindle for a minute. Nothing new to me, this has happened every time I read this author boo
Kristina
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-paranormal

4 Stars

Nick is extremely sarcastic and sassy when he is backed into a corner but still vulnerable while trying to keep his secret. Having so many large shifters surrounding him day after day and not letting on his scent and nature is taking its toll on him.

Sam is very gruff and protective but can’t figure out what exactly is up with Nick. He is confused as to why he feels protective over the slightly smaller man. I loved the dynamic of the big man and the smaller one.

Living in a world where smal
Miriam
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this cute and adorable, with just enough suspense to keep it from being sugary sweet.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the baby shifters, as it is rather odd to think about a shifter being perpetually into a baby when shifted into their animal form. But somehow it kinda worked for this story.
Julie Hayes
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a world in which humans and shifters have learned to live together in comparative harmony, there are still some shifters who find themselves subjected to an assortment of restrictions. Namely, small shifters and baby shifters. Small shifters are looked down upon as unequal to their larger counterparts. Baby shifters are those who, unlike the majority of shifters, become the immature version of their animals, even though as humans they are adults. Baby shifters are forced to endure having thei ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • Treasure for Treasure (Beings in Love, #7)
  • Blind Devotion (The Shifter Chronicles #3)
  • Venomoid (Night Code Saga #1)
  • The Wulf Chronicles (WulfChron, #1)
  • Deadly Secrets (Kings of Eternity #1)
  • Gray Bishop (Cornerstone Run Trilogy, #2)
  • Fighting Instinct (L'Ange, #2)
  • Beyond the Rift (Elemental Lovers #1)
  • Crimson Mate (Of Blood and Spirit #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Camp H.O.W.L. (Camp H.O.W.L. #1)
  • Forgiving Thayne (True Mates #2)
  • Wild Magic (Triad #4)
  • Pilgrimage
  • Whiskers of a Chance (Chain of Fate, #1)
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • So I Married a Werewolf (Seattle Wolf Pack, #3)
Chris T. Kat lives in the middle of Europe, together with her husband of many years and their two children. She stumbled upon the M/M genre by luck and was swiftly drawn into it. She divides her time between work, her family—which includes chasing after escaping horses and lugging around huge instruments such as a harp—and writing. She enjoys a variety of genres, such as mystery/suspense, paranorm ...more

Alpha Unit One (2 books)
  • Nemesis (Alpha Unit One, #2)