Start by marking “Don't Read the Comments” as Want to Read:

Don't Read the Comments

Divya Sharma is a queen. Or she is when she’s playing Reclaim the Sun, the year’s hottest online game. Divya—better known as popular streaming gamer D1V—regularly leads her #AngstArmada on quests through the game’s vast and gorgeous virtual universe. But for Divya, this is more than just a game. Out in the real world, she’s trading her rising-star status for sponsorships ...more
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Inkyard Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jan 28, 2020
    Enter to win 1 of 5 Hardcover Copies of Don't Read the Comments by Eric Smith!

Divya Sharma is a queen. Or she is when she’s playing Reclaim the Sun,

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2243 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 15 - Feb 14, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read the Comments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read the Comments

Start your review of Don't Read the Comments
    jv poore
    So good I actually stopped reading. Didn't want to rush through the last few chapters and maybe miss something. I'm ready to read to the end now.

******* ******** ********** ********* ****** ********
    Entirely enamored with Divya, I simultaneously want to scoop her up to protect her from terrible trolls; but also, sit back and watch her take them down. Pretty sure I won't sleep before I see how this story ends.
    Kate (GirlReading)
    This is a wonderfully geeky story that explores sexism, misogyny, racism, doxxing and toxicity online and specifically within the gaming industry with nuance and candour.

With two strong and unique voices, multiple brilliantly explored relationship dynamics, epic bookish shoutouts (one of the characters has a bookstagram!!), a diverse cast of characters and VR gaming passages that almost made me forget I was reading a contemporary and not a sci-fi (in a good way), this was a thoroughly enjoyable
    Kelly
    This is so nerdy and delightful. If you love gaming, stories where brown kids at the main characters, sweet romance, and a real exploration of the insidious nature of trolling, this is your perfect read.

Madison Lessard
    Many thanks to the publisher for providing an advance digital copy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

While Don’t Read The Comments wasn’t 100% for me, I try to approach every ARC I’m lucky enough to read pre-publication without being influenced too much by my personal preference. This is sometimes difficult, because reading is an inherently subjective activity, but it’s important to me that I make a thorough evaluation rather than just saying, hm, it wasn’t for me.

So
    destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    DNF @ 20%

This definitely feels like one of those "it's me, not you" sort of things, because I have no doubt this book is going to make a lot of readers very happy! That said, this wasn't working for me at all and I frankly don't have the time or energy to devote to books that are grating on me. I had a gut feeling I shouldn't have requested this, and as soon as the author and book name-dropping started in the first chapter, I thought, "Yep, should've listened to my gut..."

Anyways, I dig the
    Aly
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was a quick, fun read!
    First of all, I love the title and the theme for the book. People can be so cruel, especially online where they're anonymous and reading the comments only serves to infuriate me. The message in this of just being yourself and try not to worry what other people think you should do or be is awesome. If you can surround yourself with good people, the haters won't win.
    The story was fun, I liked the relationship Divya and Aaron built. It was slow and sweet and felt real.
    Elyse Alba
    Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I absolutely love this book and the message it sends out! D1V is a great main character strong fierce everything I love in a female lead. Beks made the story more down to earth and realistic. He story line was perfect for the story! I also loved how the author portrayed a women's struggle while still showing how awesome some guys can be. It was a perfect mix highly recommend!
    Paula  Phillips
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

When I saw this book title on my Kindle Paperwhite, I figured it had something to do with Social media hence the word 'comments' in the title but wasn't 100% sure of what the book was about since I get hundreds and thousands of books to read and review. In Don't Read the Comments we delved into the world of two gamers - one a female gamer who has her own Glitch channel stream and lives for the sponsorship to help pay bills and survive as she comes from a single mother household and her mum is
    USOM
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    (Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Don't Read the Comments is a story that even after finishing makes you want to immediately start again. Whether it be the YA book shout outs, our mutual love of enamel pins, or Divya's love for her mother, you will want to jump right back in. I read Don't Read the Comments in one sitting because not only are there moments of tenderness and hilarity, but it's emotionally gripping.
    Mary H
    Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
    GIVE ME THIS NOW.
    Karen
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: contemporary, romance, arc, ya
    An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember, so I wholeheartedly support any books with gamers or gaming as a focus.

Divya is a well-known streamer on Glitch—and of course, being a girl (especially of colour) online comes with misogynistic, racist (mostly) male assholes hiding behind faceless avatars and untraceable accounts. I really loved the exploration of that part of the gaming
    Celia McMahon
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to review this title in exchange for an honest review.

Well, folks, I found gold in the sea of garbage. Ok, that's harsh, but I have been reading some subpar novels lately and this one came at a good time. I've come to realize how much of a sucker I am for any sort of boo, involving video games. Ready Player and Otherworld are up there with my top favorite books ever so I guess that says a lot.

On one side of the tracks we have Div, a popular streamer from
    Julia Ember
    Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I think this is my favorite of Eric Smith’s books. It is unabashedly nerdy, and a love letter to games, gaming culture, writing, online romances and friendships ... while at the same time never shying away from the true to life toxic underbelly of the mmo world. The romance in this book is super cute, and unfolds mostly in a series of gaming sessions and app messages. Divya is a pro gamer with a huge following (go Angst Armada!), and Aaron is a casual player with aspirations of writing RPGs.

The
    Samantha (WLABB)
    Divya, a popular streaming gamer, and Aaron, a video game writer, accidentally meet on an uncharted planet...while playing Reclaim the Sun. A friendship began to grow between them, but as Divya battled online harassment, doxing, and real-life assaults, she began to rethink her life online.

This was not the first book I have read, that tackled issues surrounding online gaming, but I do feel like it was one of the more immersive experiences for me. I would be hard pressed to learn that Eric Smith
    Beth Cato
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

Don't Read the Commends is a YA book that is incredibly timely, realistic, and well done.... but wow is it a hard read at times. Frankly, this book is a horror novel about what the internet and social media are like for women in this era of Gamergate and trolls. Don't get me wrong--I loved the book and I am absolutely adding it to my shortlist for the Norton Award for next year--but I also pushed through reading it as fast as I could because
    Karis Rogerson
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    (I received an ARC of this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)

This was the perfect book to start my reading year off with! I wasn't sure what my thoughts would be, as its plot is about gaming and I'm not into that AT ALL, but I found the world and characters so relatable. I can relate to having a passion and geeking out over it and making friends in New and weird ways because of it.

I loved the look this book gives into the world of games and how beautiful it can be while also at
    Emily
    Full disclosure: I got an ARC of this book at a conference. I enjoyed the book. I had to suspend my disbelief a time or two, and I thought the characters were a bit two-dimensional, but nothing unusual in the case of a YA book, so I was okay with it and I thought it all worked. I was also glad to see a YA book address doxing and toxic online culture, and I thought the male author did a good job writing about a female character without it getting weird. That sounds bad, but you know what I mean. ...more
    Brenna Clark
    Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you so much to Netgalley for the advanced copy of this book! I have been following Eric Smith ever since I saw him at a book festival, and the way he is so down to earth and into the online community spoke volumes to me, and I knew from seeing the synopsis to this novel that it was going to be very genuine. I had been counting down the days for an ARC to be released, and I loved it more than I knew I could. The storyline is so here and now. It feels young, honest, and real. I haven't seen ...more
    Joanna Bennett
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    There is definitely some great topics talked about in here and I don't have much complaints about it.

Review to Come Closer to Publication Date.
    rachel ☾
    Nov 12, 2019 marked it as arc-tbr
    Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
    Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
    Unfortunately, I think I need to take a step back from reading contemporary books — the writing style of contemporary YA coming out now just isn't doing it for me. So while this book is pretty cute and extremely culturally relevant, and I think will resonate with a lot of people, it wasn't personally my favorite read. Like, it was by no means bad! But it didn't deliver emotion like an electric charge to the heart the way, say, The Hate U Give or Eliza and Her Monsters do.

It makes total sense for
    Isabel✨
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fandom, romance, ya
    I'm always a little iffy on books that focus on fan culture and fandom -- sometimes they're delightful and deeply relatable and like someone has taken that huge part of my life and written a love story to it, but sometimes it can also seem like an author is writing about a community they haven't really been a part of. Don't Read the Comments is certainly the former.

The book has a dual POV, switching between main characters Divya, a Glitch (read Twitch) streamer, and Aaron, a gamer who also
    Aoife
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    In a ripped from the headlines novel, Diyva, Aaron and their friends face harrassment and doxing when Diyva becomes popular in an online exploration game.

Reclaim the Sun is a Massive Multiplayer Online Game where players explore randomly generated planets looking for resources. It's not designed as a war game, although players can fight...and if you die in the game, your progress and character are lost and you have to start over from the beginning. Diyva, known as D1V ingame, is one of the most
    Teri
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I may not be a gamer (unless you count playing the Harry Potter Lego game on my old Xbox 360), but it's not a prerequisite for understanding and enjoying this book.

So many important issues are addressed in this story - online safety, internet trolls and bullying, and doxxing, to name a few. Divya is a victim of online harrassment, which is a criminal offense. What happens to her is frightening - but what's worse is things like this happen every day. The haters are out there, folks.

The author
    Rachael
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020-arc-reviews
    Just as the synopsis says, Divya is now my queen. She is smart, sassy, independent, strong, and all around a badass non-princess who most definitely does NOT need saving by anyone.

I essentially inhaled this book in one sitting. It hit me right in my nerdy gamer girl heart. All of the nods to current pop culture really made me feel like these characters were real. The level of conversations they had with each other was so authentic. Aaron's relationship with his little sister might be my favorite
    Michelle Garrett
    "Don't Read the Comments" by Eric Smith just wasn't really a book for me since I'm not that into video games. I didn't quite realize how central understanding video games would be in this book and found myself skipping a number of sections where the characters were literally just playing video games and I didn't really get what was going on. Luckily, these scenes weren't super important to the overall plot except for where the characters were talking to each other inside the game.
    Because of
    Danielle
    Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This tale is more intense than READY PLAYER ONE and quite a page-turner.
    Divya, popular streaming gamer D1V, is playing Reclaim the Sun, the year’s hottest game. The sponsorships help her single mom make ends meet.
    We meet Aaron, an avid gamer too. He plays for different reasons than Divya. Aaron’s mom wants him to follow her footsteps to be a doctor. His dad silently supports Aaron’s dreams. Aaron finds solace in Reclaim the Sun. Then, one day he is on the same remote planet as popular gamer,
    Kennedy
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was such a fun read! There was a lot of video game speak that went over my head quite a bit (and I play a decent amount of video games) but overall this was an enjoyable story. The flirty “romance” between the two main characters was so cute and fun. What made this book really stand out though was it’s stance on online bullying, especially for woman gamers. I personally don’t stream, but I follow a lot of female streamers and I see some of the things they have to deal with. I loved how the ...more
    Haley Fellows
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Don’t Read the Comments was a nerdy, fun, easy read that dealt with gaming, relationships and addressed the difficult topic of bullying through social media. As a person with little knowledge of the gaming world I found it hard to connect with Divya in relation to gaming, but on a personal level she was a very hardworking driven individual which I can relate to. Overall this was a great book and I look forward to reading more by the author.
    Janice
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: ms-appropriate
    I am sure I would've liked this book even more if I had even one ounce of interest in video games. Even with my zero interest, I appreciated this well-written book, and I'm sure students will love it.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tweet Cute
    • Every Other Weekend
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • Jane Anonymous
    • A Love Hate Thing
    • Foul Is Fair
    • How to Build a Heart
    • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
    • The Sound of Stars
    • Reverie
    • Echoes Between Us
    • What Unbreakable Looks Like
    • Lucky Caller
    • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
    • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
    • Slay
    • Coral
    • Good Girls Lie
    Eric Smith is an author and literary agent from Elizabeth, New Jersey.

His Young Adult books include the Inked duology (Bloomsbury), the anthology Welcome Home (Flux), The Girl & the Grove (Flux), and Don't Read the Comments (Inkyard Press).

His first non-fiction book, The Geek's Guide to Dating, was published with Quirk Books in December 2013. It was an Indiebound bestseller and has sold into