Start by marking “The Witch's Tower (Twisted Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Tower (Twisted Ever After, #1)

The Witch's Tower

(Twisted Ever After #1)

Gothel is a witch. Punished for the actions of her mother, her choice is simple: either she stands guard over Princess Rapunzel — or she dies. But just because a choice is easy doesn’t mean it’s pleasant. Protecting Rapunzel means watching as the princess lays trapped in a tower, bedridden by hair that is so long and heavy it’s slowly driving her insane. Gothel’s life has ...more
Paperback
Published March 11th 2019 by Clean Teen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Tower

Start your review of The Witch's Tower (Twisted Ever After, #1)
Cassie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, abandoned, fairy-tales
I love a good fairytale retelling, but the writing in this book is just so bad. I couldn't get past the first couple chapters. The concept seems ok, but I can't do it.
Joan
Oh this was FUN! A great YA novel with endearing characters and real depth to the story. I loved the way Rapunzel was not as she is so often portrayed. Instead we are given a far more believable character.

An enjoyable read that kept me entertained right up to the end.
Viviane
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a mix of things and it left me a bit deflated at the end when I started it in high spirits. The basic premise is a fun twist and the main character has potential. I just struggled with where it goes from there. Oh, I adore the male lead too, so that is a bonus (he is my kinda guy *dreamy sigh*).

My main frustration: We seem to drag characters along/introduce them just so things can be set up for later books. I liked the characters that joined the party and their basic premise, they
Virginia
The Witch’s Tower wasn’t for me, but it was still a fun read. The adventure was fast paced and engaging, with an interesting take on the Rapunzel fairy tale. However, the story focused too much on the romance. If you like a lot of romance, then great! I’d definitely recommend this book. But if not, you might want to pass.
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
What an amazing story and I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

The characters were awesome. I loved the journey Gothel had to go on and the things this character went through physically and mentally made this character that much stronger and kept me wanting to read more.

The story-line is incredible. Grantham has a knack for storytelling and making us feel as if we are a part of the story. She also is very good at reeling in her audience and I was completely fascinated by this story and all the twi
Rinda Reads
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
This is Rapunzel but from the witch Gothel's perspective and it's up to her to save Rapunzel and the kingdom. She set's off on her quest with the prince's squire and picks up some eclectic characters along the way. There's twists and turns and of course romance. Insta-love usually bothers me but in this case I think it worked with the story. Since Gothel's been locked away in a tower for years it makes sense that she would develop a crush on the first cute boy she spends time with. This was a fu ...more
J.M. Stengl
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clean, action-packed, and imaginative retelling of Rapunzel, in which the the witch Gothel is our heroine!
It's a pretty quick read with a sweet romance, some scary villains, and more than one happy ending. It includes set-up for further books in the series too.
Danielle
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well...It started out strong enough. The first few chapters grab your attention up until the point where they reach the Outlander village. The world-building is interesting enough and the nod to certain well-known fairytales was alright. Mostly, I was not blown away by it. I liked the love-interest's character more than the main character, who seemed to be written far too modern and felt more like a reflection of the author's personality than a character with her own quirks and opinions. It got ...more
Jen
This is a very different take on the traditional Rapunzel story. Instead of being the "bad guy" (or girl, as it were), Gothel is actually the hero of this tale. She sets out - first with the aid of the prince's squire, and later a rather odd assortment of characters - on a quest in hopes of retreiving the golden shears from her aunts, ending the curse, and setting Rapunzel - as well as herself! - free. Of course, things are never as simple as they should be, and there are a lot of twists and tur ...more
OldBird
I am so sorry to not like this book. I loved the concept. I didn't mind the breezy young adult writing style. But it had a few issues that just did it in for me.

Let's start with the recap: Gothel is a witch. She lives in a tower with her charge Rapunzel, a princess cursed to have uncuttable hair so long it's left her bed-ridden and, after so many years of isolation, rather disturbed. The only way her curse can be broken is if a worthy prince with a pure heart rescues her. The world seems quite s
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

This story is not a typical fairytale! This well-known tale is filled with strong characters and dark twists and turns.

Read full review in the 2019 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Maria
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I gave up just over midway. While the adventure and fairytale aspects were really good, the romance was shooed in haphazardly, as if the author realized every once in a while, right, I wanted to include a romance story!. It didn't feel natural at all. Add to that the incessant othering of Raj, and I just couldn't take it anymore.
Eve
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Marjorie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy a good twist on a Faery Tale but somehow this one just fell consistently short of the mark for me. It may not have been helped by the fact that the story of Rapunzel was never one of my favourites or it may just have been that it seemed to be based on the more sanitised version of the tale peddled by Disney (Tangled is an awesome movie though!).

Somehow I never felt a sense of the world that Gothel and Rapunzel existed in. It was all too fractured and disparate with no real meat o
Louise-Andree
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

This book is a Rapunzel retelling but it is not about Rapunzel but about the witch, Gothel and her adventures. Instead of the villain of the story, this time Gothel is the hero, along with a mismatch of characters she got to meet during her quest to save Rapunzel from the tower she's been confined in.

I started this story in high spirits and hopes it would be really cool. I've been having this thing where I want to read stories about the villain as the main character lately and I though this
Christine Shrum
This is a retelling of Rapunzel and the Witch.

Gothel the Witch is forced to watch over Rapunzel in the tower. Rapunzel has a curse on her that causes her hair to be so long and heavy that she can't even get out of bed. Will Gothel help Rapunzel get rid of the curse so she can leave the tower or will Gothel do nothing to change her own fate?

Here is a peak at Mother Gothel story: “My mother discovered what the king was doing,” I said. “She was infuriated, but there was nothing she could do to harm
Nadina
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really was very satisfying and after starting it I really got into it and read all but one chapter in one day. I will admit part of this was because I had a self-designed reading schedule that I fell behind on, but the fact is, if it had not been good I would not have been able to finish it in one day.
I liked the characters and the general idea for this twist on Rapunzel.
Some plot points seemed pretty obvious, while others when they came to light were surprising.
It felt a little rushed t
Sam
This is a pretty good retelling of the Rapunzal story that follows the witch that was appointed to guard her on a quest to free her from her curse. This quest is begun by the arrival of a prince who becomes frozen by Rapunzal's curse and his aide who is determined to save him from it. There is of course many twists and turns on their journey and they uncover far more about themselves than they ever imagined, including a rather awkward romance that feels both forced and predictable that ruins an ...more
Astrid V.J.
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A good attempt at a retelling of Rapunzel, but I was disappointed that Rapunzel herself plays no part in her own story. I also disliked the cheesy love-at-first sight between Rapunzel and the prince. Gothel's adventure was interesting, but lacked real depth. She doesn't really learn anything, muddles her way through and has a pretty easy time of it. Everything is resolved with too much ease it made the problems less gut-wrenching.

Also, I have a serious issue with the names. People will never re
Jolene Ko
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
YA fantasy romance adventure

Read from main character Gothel’s point of view, we see her taking a journey (Frodo style) along with the prince’s squire Raj - because the prince is stuck up in the tower at the failed attempt to rescue Rapunzel.

Along the way they meet other randoms that they take along as strays. Then suddenly insta-love happens because luckily of mutual attraction.

I would of expected Gothel to have a bit more self acceptance, self love, considering she has confidence and could hold
Susan Lyttek
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could've been a 5

Liked the story. Liked the characters. However...
It really did need more editing. I saw that it did have an editor, but maybe two would have worked better.
The one I remember most is at the ice castle. There were at least these conversations that decided that the elf would stay while the Dragon left. There were a couple of other awkward places like that. Places where the conversation or event was only needed once.
That said, in spite of those glitches, it is a tale worth reading.
Helen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gothel, a blue-haired witch, is the guardian for Rapunzel, the princess locked in a doorless tower. I liked it because this brilliant take on a classic fairy tale has many interesting twists and unexpected cameo appearances from other tales. These princesses are more like Xena, the warrior princess, than a Disney princess, but there is a quest, a dragon, 🐲 a wolf, 🐺a dwarf, a dashing prince, plus lots of hair and even some romance. 💖 The magic in action, word and. potion enchants, burns, and bla ...more
Sheralyn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
What started well and interesting ended in rubbish. I skimmed the last third of the book when poor romantic excerpts drew me away from the story. I love a good fairy tale romance, but this was not one of them. It was clumsy and distracting. I loved the characters enough that I was disappointed when the writing fell flat. The ending felt rushed and I felt as if the writer had abandoned the story. It has three stars for the beginning and middle. Too bad the magic could not hold out til the end.
Caro
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the idea of this book and the beginning seemed quite interesting as well. Then suddenly the previously interesting seemed heroine was struck by insta-love. Also I could never quite place where to put this book. Story for very young teens: All problems are solved very easily without much effort, also the insta-love or the dark elements of the book: the heroine stuck with a mental Rapunzel, or dead humans lying around. Unfortunately, the story did not get very deep and after half of ...more
Brad
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy Tale Mashup That’s Fun to Read

The story, at least initially, reminds me of Fractured Fairy Tales from Rocky and His Friends. If that’s too ancient a reference, then never mind. This is ultimately a road trip where the party on a mission keeps growing ala Wizard of Oz.

There is plenty of intrigue, magic, adventure, and even some romance. Mostly, there are twists and turns that keeps your interest.
Sabrina Fish
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Witch in the Rapunzel fairy tale as the heroine?! What a twist!!! Gothel is a blue haired witch being punished for her mother’s crimes. And she actually cares for Rapunzel, and her plight. I love the romance subplot, the strays Gothel & Raj pick up along their journey, and the unique twist to this well-known story. Highly recommended!! ...more
Sophie
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was great. I loved how it reinvented a classic tale. I loved the world building, character development and the style. Not overly impressed with the ending, but that's my preference making it seem bad. I also wasn't overly keen on the quick pace, I wanted more time spent in each place. Again my preference.

I'm a sucker for a good story and don't like simple ending.
Jennifer Hernandez
Nice Twist On A Fairytale

I really liked this being told from points of view we don't often get a glimpse of. I had a hard time putting it down! But it seemed like some part dragged on and the ending wrapped up really quickly. But the characters were relatable and you really rooted for everybody.
Jj
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book!! A different twist about the witch guarding Rapunzel. I loved how the witch was good then evil and how her family ties with Rapunzel. The good witch goes through fights, betrayal and most of all true love. A great read this book was and I’m excited to read more books from the author!!
Lindsey
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time putting this book down. I loved the story and the twist on the traditional fairy tale. So good. Can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

Also, I like how this book has an ending and we get closure while leaving it open for the story of the second book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • Enter the Witch (Witches of Whisper Grove Book 1)
  • School For Spirits (Spirit School #1)
  • Playing With Fire (#Hacker, #1)
  • Crescent Calling (The Crescent Witch Chronicles #1)
  • Alice (The Wanderland Chronicles, #1)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Mageborn (The Mageborn Saga #1)
  • Cursed: Briar Rose's Story
  • Strays (Werewolf Academy, #1)
  • Luna Caged. Part 1.
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1)
  • All The Things We Lost (River Valley Lost & Found, #1)
  • Wager's Price (Soulkeepers Reborn #1)
  • Allusion
  • The Tarot Witches I-IV: Caged Wolf/ Forbidden Witches/ Winter Court/ Summer Court
  • The Witch of the Meadows (The Windborne, #1)
Tamara Grantham is the award-winning author of more than half a dozen books and novellas, including the Olive Kennedy: Fairy World MD series, the Twisted Ever After trilogy, and the Shine novellas. Dreamthief, the first book of her Fairy World MD series, won first place for fantasy in INDIEFAB’S Book of the Year Awards, a RONE award for best New Adult Romance, and is a #1 bestseller on Amazon with ...more

Twisted Ever After (3 books)
  • Dragon Swan Princess (Twisted Ever After, #2)
  • Rumpel's Redemption (Twisted Ever After, #3)