Start by marking “Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)” as Want to Read:
Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)

Smooth Talking Stranger

(The Travis Family #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  37,145 ratings  ·  1,871 reviews
Jack Travis leads the uncomplicated life of a millionaire Texas playboy. He makes no commitments, he loves many women, he lives for pleasure. But no one has ever truly touched his heart or soul. Until one day, a woman appears on his doorstep with fury on her face and a baby in her arms. It seems Jack is the father and this woman is the baby's aunt. The real mother has aban ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published March 31st 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Smooth Talking Stranger, please sign up.
Louise I have searched and have not been able to find an author that I like as much as Lisa Kleypas. But I would recommend you try "Bet me" by Jenifer Crusie…moreI have searched and have not been able to find an author that I like as much as Lisa Kleypas. But I would recommend you try "Bet me" by Jenifer Crusie. A delicious romance novel that I greatly enjoyed.

(less)
Jaimie I read this one first too - it made sense and even though it had some references to the other Travises, it wasn't confusing. I also thought this book …moreI read this one first too - it made sense and even though it had some references to the other Travises, it wasn't confusing. I also thought this book seemed more interesting :)(less)

·  37,145 ratings  ·  1,871 reviews

Start your review of Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
Baba
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

"I respect you," he murmured. "And your views. I think of you as an equal. I respect your brains, and all those big words you like to use. But I also want to rip your clothes off and have sex with you until you scream and cry and see God."

Photobucket

Hot damn! I loved the story and I loved Jack! What a smooth talking guy…ah, be still my little heart…*happy dance*

Ella Varner, living and working in Austin, Texas, is the infamous Miss Independent, a columnist. She is happy with her l
Auntee
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas; fans of hot contemporary romance
No summary, just some thoughts...

Ohhh, where do I begin? All my GR friends said "wait until you get to Jack's book"...and you all were right! I adored milionaire playboy Jack Travis--he was absolute perfection! To tell you the truth, I thought it might take a while for him to win me over, since I expected him to be sort of a shallow man-slut. I was surprised that he put that all behind him and was ready for something different when he met advice columnist Ella. I wish I knew what it was exactly
Christy
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

597C6F72_C336_4FE0_8F6A_F279F31FD84F_IMG_7398

Smooth Talking Stranger is the third book in the Travises series and it’s about Jack Travis. I’ve been interested in Jack since the start of this series and I was so excited to get his book!

Jack is a bit of a playboy, but really, he’s just not found the right girl. When he meets Ella, he’s shocked to say the least. Ella tracks Jack down because she wants a paternity test for her newborn nephew who her sister has abandoned. Jack knows there is no way he is the father, but he humors
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Didi
Shelves: 2015-books
Smooth Talking Stranger was a book I’ve been holding off reading for the last 2 years because I knew the 4th book didn’t have a release date. Brown-Eyed Girl finally has the release date of August 11th (http://amzn.to/1HGMoyP). Now, I'm finally caught up in the series for the release of this book.

”Babies were dangerous… they made you fall in love before you knew what was happening.”
Ella receives the call no one wants… the one that makes you decide what's really important in your life. Ella’s
Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

Boy oh boy did I love this book!! “Smooth Talking Stranger” is a sinfully decadent treat for contemporary romance lovers! It’s like Godiva for chocolate lovers and a good French roast for coffee lovers...just yum!

I loved “Sugar Daddy”, despite that it leaned more towards chick-lit and really liked “Blue-Eyed Devil”, even though it was heavy on the drama and lacked Hardy’s viewpoint, but “Smooth Talking Stranger” is straight up romance and nice and steamy, just the
♥Sharon♥
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, apparently I am a pretty fickle woman. With each Travis Family book I have read, I have fallen in lust with Gage, Hardy (though his isn’t a Travis) and now Jack. Honestly I can’t make up mind which one of them I lust the most because each story as been pretty FANTASTIC.

Have you read any of these books? If you haven’t then you are missing out. I’m serious. It doesn’t matter which book you start with. They don’t need to be read in any particular order (IMO) because Lisa Kleypas does an amaz
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Miss Kleypas, are you reading my mind? How do you get me where I live emotionally so easily? I felt as though reading this book you had delved deeply inside my psyche, laying my issues out for me to examine in the context of a character with whom I found myself identifying very deeply. You see, I too have control issues. I too am afraid to love deeply and to care, because when you do, you lose something, and you can't get it back. It seems so much easier to hide behind your fortress of heart.

Rea
MelissaB
Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas was a wonderful read. I loved the characters and the storyline. Ella was a heroine who I could identify with, especially about trying to help out your family and the constant guilt you feel when you can never do enough. She has a very complicated relationship with her sister but she is there for her when her sister needs her. Ella gets a call from her mother saying her younger sister left her newborn baby at the mother’s house and disappeared. Ella knows h ...more
♡Karlyn P♡
A wonderful steamy romantic story with a great and satisfying ending. The title really suites too! Jack was such a smooth talker. Yum. As with the other books in the series, there is an underline storyline of personal growth and recovery, but these characters weren't so deeply damaged emotionally as the characters in the previous books. I loved the realistic feel of their relationship from the start. Thier growing together, and finally the realization they are meant for each other. I just starte ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“I think the busiest people are often the loneliest.”

Smooth Talking Stranger is the third book in the Travises series and it was such a delight to read. This book follows cynic Ella Varner, who finds herself the guardian of her newborn nephew rather abruptly. She thinks the father is Jack Travis and approaches him for a DNA sample. Jack Travis takes an immediate liking to Ella and begins pursuing her, much to her chagrin.

“I respect you," he murmured. "and your views. I think of
Jill
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Set in contemporary Texas, Lisa Kleypas has written another wonderful story in the Travis series. Sometimes a novel just resonates with you. I’ve found this with Smooth Talking Stranger as well as book #1 Sugar Daddy and #2 Blue-Eyed Devil.

Enjoyed the writing, the stories. Loved the heroines. But. Adored the heroes. The books in this series are fine reads, but Lisa Kleypas' characterisations of Gage, Hardy and Jack make these books unforgettable. She writes my type of hero. Sometimes i
A.
3.5 Stars

It started out promising, but soon got uneventful and repetitive. Just like in book 1, I wasn't emotionally invested - the development of the relationship was too superficial and the hero was too good to be true.

It was an okay read, which is disappointing. I wanted me some memorable old school romance but got a cliched, average story.

Lisa Kay
Luke
[image error]

★★★★★ (Review of audiobook.) Good Gravy Beans, I LOVE this book. I’ve read it over a dozen times; so, of course, when the opportunity arose, I just had to do the “buddy read” of it with Jill (BTW, expect spoilers in that thread!). Since I had the brilliant idea of listening to the audiobooks of this series this time ‘round, I’ve been worried that one (or all) would let me down. No need for doubts here; I’m really happy I chose to “re-read” it with my ears.

Emily Durante is the n
Annie
MARRY ME, JACK TRAVIS!

It’s official now. I’m adding Jack Travis to my harem! There are now FIVE of LK’s heroes on that list, including Kev, St. Vincent, Craven and McKenna. Wow, talk about hot heroes!

Jack Travis is the ideal man. Throughout this entire book, I was hoping to find one flaw in his character and despite his bed-hopping past, I couldn’t find a single thing wrong with this guy! What I love about him the most is the fact that he doesn’t do things half-measure. He’s an all-or-nothing
Susanne
4.5 wonderful stars!

He was tall and big-framed, all hard muscle and easy masculinity, with dark eyes and heavy well-cut black hair. The way he carried himself – the confidence in his walk, the relaxed set of shoulders – proclaiming that he was accustomed to being in charge.

Say hello to Jack Travis! He is fantastic. He is hot but he is also warm and caring without losing his alphaness. As soon as they meet, sparks fly.
"Why? Do they make you nervous?
"Not at all." I gave him a mock-threatening g
Mina
Dina
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to Wikipedia, "Chick lit is genre fiction within women's fiction which addresses issues of modern women often humorously and lightheartedly. (...) Although sometimes it includes romantic elements, women's fiction (including chick lit) is generally not considered a direct subcategory of the romance novel genre, because in chick lit the heroine's relationship with her family or friends may be just as important as her romantic relationships."

So, Smooth Talking Stranger is chick lit, even
Syndi
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to this story reminds me so much of that movie, Before Sunset. You know.... the Ethan Hawke's movie. Where the two of them just talking and walking through out the whole movie.

The title fits the story perfectly. Two people comes up together in a very peculiar circumtances. Two opppsite people who have so much in common in healing one another. Ella comes from a broken family whole Jack's family is perfect and happy.

Their romance is brewing slow and I can not help mesmerize by the dept
Mo
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the end, I just didn't care about Jack and Ella. It all fizzled out ... I found it very repetitive! "Sex, diaper change, baby feeds, phone calls, chat about her childhood" and REPEAT! I just thought there was a complete turnaround for her ... and for him. One minute he is dating these skinnymalinkey model-types and the next he falls head over heels in love with Ella and cannot see his future without her and she was "Miss Independent" but she soon changed her mind about that.

Cute baby and it a
Tammy
Smooth Talking Stranger is a fabulous book. Absolutely wonderful. Unlike the other books in the series, this one reads like a solid romance with Jack and Ella's relationship being the main focus. (It is 100% pure contemporary romance without the chick-littish feel to it and, for the most part, lacks the darker issues re: domestic violence, abuse and rape that became the main focus of the prior books.)

This book has an honorary place on my Keeper Shelf for one reason and one reason only: Jack.

Bi
Alice
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
FIVE STARS!!

I forgot how much I FLOVE this book!! It was my third re-read and every time I re-read it, I love it even more! Jack Travis is definitely book boyfriend material!

Ella Varner is a woman who didn't expect to have such an abrupt change in her life. She had a normal but good life in Austin, where she lived with her boyfriend Dane. What she absolutely didn't expect was to find herself in Houston , having to take care of her sister's newborn son, Luke.

“Babies were dangerous . . .they
Karen
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

“Dear Miss Independent,

I've decided that of all the women I've ever known, you are the only one I will ever love more than hunting, fishing, football, and power tools.

Loved this one too! This is such a great series. Although I have to say that the Ella from the beginning of the book, hardly resembled the Ella from the end, thank goodness. I'm just accepting the fact that it was mostly due to the awesomeness that was Jack Travis and his influence on her. And other than being a player,
Jo
"Don't ever leave me, Ella. I need you."

Ella Varner learned in early childhood to fend for herself and her baby sister. She’s independent, and in control of her own life, just the way she prefers it. And her boyfriend of four years gives her the freedom and space she needs. But when her sister leaves her new born baby with their flaky mother, Ella’s life is turned upside down. Suddenly she’s responsible for her nephew, and the only way she can think of helping her missing sister, is to fin

Carvanz
Ella’s sister has skipped out leaving behind her newborn son with their unstable mother. With no other choice, Ella takes the baby and sets out to fix things for everyone concerned. The first thing to do is find the father and she knows exactly who that man is.

Jack has quite a bit of a reputation but he proclaims his innocence regarding the paternity of the baby. When Ella discovers the truth, she’s determined to find the true father, help her sister in any way she can and contend with her mothe
Blue Eyed Vixen
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one ... I want Jack all to myself - hands off ladies! lol
OK ladies .... I'm packing my bags and moving to Texas because if this guy Jack Travis is alive and out there, I am in LURVE and ready to have his babies .... yep! I'm willing to take one (or 2 or 3 or 4) for the team!

This guy is as smooth as Lindt chocolate but without the calories (can it get ANY better I say!!!)

Ella Verner walks into Jack Travis' life with a week old and a demand for a paternity test to prove he is the father of her sisters child. Ella is certain of what the chid needs and a
Jen
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
December 28, 2013 Reread

What's a girl to do when every book she reads bores the ever loving shit out of her? When not even the hottest tattooed biker, misunderstood billionaire or well hung rock star keeps her attention? Time to admit I'm in a book slump and go for a tried, true and all kinds of awesome reread. Thank you much, Lisa Kleypas, for writing a contemporary romance that just gets better every time I read it!
Miss Kim
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miss Kim by: continuation of series
Shelves: 2009, contemporary
4 1/2 stars

I’ve enjoyed this three book series by Ms. Kleypas. I’ve got my fingers crossed for #4 which may tell Joe’s, the remaining Travis son, story. In Smooth Talking Stranger we get to know Jack Travis, who we met previously, and know as a womanizing playboy.

One day he walks out of meeting and there is a woman with a newborn infant with her and she is demanding that he take a paternity test asap. She explains the baby is her nephew and that Jack has to be the father. Jack is sure he is no
valee
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
It's just wrong for a book to be so good. I loved it. It just doesn't make sense that one same author can write so many 5 stars books.

Ella was an amazing character. Everything about her was interesting and fascinating. I loved the fact that even though she suffer a lot during her childhood, she got over it and was able to become a strong, independent and intresting woman. She was so funny. I loved every time she talked of Luck as a boyfriend or a reason for Dane to be jealous, so funny.

Then it c
 ❀ Minesha ❀

You know what might make me happy today?

If I could get into interstellar mode, travel back in time when Jack (who is sadly the hero of this book) was a young boy, turn into this wrathful creature and kill him. Yeah!

description

But why, you might ask.

Click on the spoiler to read why. My own rant is too depressing for me to look at. So I have hidden it.

(view spoiler)
StMargarets
Heroine is an advice columnist who is landed with her sister's newborn after she checks into a clinic for postpartum depression. Heroine thinks the hero - brother #2 in the Travis family - is the father.
Hero insists he is not the father, but puts the heroine up in a hotel.

The next morning the sister confirms that the hero is not the father and never slept with the her. Oh, and would the heroine keep the baby for three months while she's in the hospital?

Heroine is embarrassed she doubted him. She

• Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Kiss an Angel
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • After the Night
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Ain't She Sweet?
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • Just the Sexiest Man Alive
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Sustained (The Legal Briefs, #2)
  • The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)

The Travis Family (4 books)
  • Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4)