Start by marking “Unexpected Hostage (Unexpected, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Hostage (Unexpected, #1)

Unexpected Hostage

(Unexpected #1)

Everyone says he's dangerous.
Everyone is wrong.

My new cabin-mate is a telepath and the whole ship’s scared of him. I was too, for about three seconds. He’s quiet, but once I get him talking he’s the most fascinating man I’ve ever known. He shouldn’t be in that cage. He didn’t do anything wrong. But good thing he is, because I would love to snuggle down for a long night wit
Published September 9th 2018 by Prompt Penworks

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Hostage

Mandapanda
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-romance
Great story and a great romance. Wonderful start to a new series. Can't wait to read more.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
depth , logistic, intensity, intellectual, alien varity

Layla Sone has earn her place on the Sci-fi romance scene. This was an excellent beginning. The depths of details for the alien worlds, space, races, technical details for the ranking, procedures, and other things was detailed and believable. This was a insightful read. The terran, Sasha and the Federation find themselves working together. This was the salvation for Sasha and an experience. She happens to be part of a crew of very unique Fed
Melissa
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creative storyline.

I haven’t read many romance novels in recent years because it seems that it’s always the same story over and over. This one was much different. It kept me interested and eager to read more. The characters are well-developed and got me invested. I’m following the author and excited for the next book in the series.
Margaret
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kidnapped from his home world Cerebral Sci finds himself on a Federation Ship.
Sci wakes to find himself on a Federation Ship with no idea how he got there. The ship picks up a temporary pilot a young woman named Sasha who when told to find a bed occupies the one next to the cage Sci is kept in. Over the course of the journey Sci watches Sasha intrigued by her emotional highs and lows so different his own races temperaments. The four other members of the crew gradually relax around him eventually
Frances Law
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Different.

Sasha was born to a Terran mother on a slave planet.
Sci is a Cerebral who was found floating in a life pod by a Federation ship. The ship is manned by a mixture of Federation spacers who have escaped another slave planet where they were forced to fight in the arena. Most of the crew didn't survive and their pilot was critically injured. At first they didn't believe that Sasha could be a pilot but changed their minds after she successfully navigated her way through an asteroid belt.
Sas
Lily Thomas
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book because the main female lead was relatable and interesting to follow. She had her quirks and her daring that made her a fascinating character to follow. The world she's created is one that has depth and draws you in.

Sasha and Sci have a slow burn romance. Sasha is given a "second chance" to lead a better life by her mother, and Sci was from an alien people who can move things with their mind and he was taken hostage by a Federation that doesn't seem what to know what
Gena
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A good try for a new author. The relationship build is a medium burn and they get to know each other before the sex. Secondary characters are interesting enough so that I'd read their stories which are coming. Downside Sasha is a bit of a Pollyanna and it wasn't till about half way through the book that I thought her character evened out and her thoughts/ actions realistic. Sci was a different hero and I enjoyed his learning of human behavior. Downside to him is in the last quarter of the book h ...more
Maria Recinos
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My reading group recommended this book , and I am glad I listened to them. What a great book. Lately I have been reading Sci-fi books more than my usually dark romance and I have now a guilty pleasure for heroes that don't exactly look human. Even do the heroe and heroine looked human the storyline was interesting and with so many turns that I couldn't put it down until I finished it. Sci... there are no words to described how much I loved him, You felt all the emotions and feelings he was devel ...more
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sci and Sasha makes this story worth reading in this exciting Sci Fi. He was taken hostage against his will for what he is. Sasha is on board the ship a pilot who wants to fly ships but because of her Terran half is omitted. Both are looked upon as defaults because they don't fit into the Federation Space Society. Will Sci escape and take Sasha with him before it's too late and can they have a meaningful relationship in spite of their differences?

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprou
Rachel
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With an outstanding backdrop and wonderful characters, the story flows easily from page to page. The rollercoaster lives of the leads, twist together with the other characters within the book to form a substantial feast for the imagination. Even in the future there are prejudices, but as with today they can be overcome and eradicated leaving room for true romance.

A great science fiction romance read with aspects and concepts not seen in other romance books.
Danielle
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to the next book!

I really enjoyed this sci-fi alien romance! It's a complete story with no cliffhanger, which I really appreciate. I loved Sasha and Sci, their relationship developed really well, not too fast or too slow! There is a great cast of character and I'm looking forward to reading their stories, especially Pax! I didn't feel overloaded with information as some other reviewers stated, but to each their own!
Kathryn
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sci and Sasha do not have your average romance. Sci does not know what "standards" and normal needs in any relationship. I was a wonder to read how this relationship grew.

This book has a great background with a Federation with all the rules and regulations.

There are what some would consider triggers including torture and losing a child.

I received an advanced copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving an unbiased , honest review.
MrsJoseph
2 stars for all the main & secondary characters except Sasha (and her mom, etc). The characters were well done and I liked all of them.

After that, this book was so gd boring. UGGGH! I get mad at myself every time I think of the time I wasted reading this. It had soooo much promise but it was its own worse enemy. I pushed through because of the promise but it never realized. Also, BLAH. SOOOOO BLAH.
Gail
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sci is a telepath who ended up in enemy territory, hoping to escape. Sasha a human pilot, hoping her new federation crew will keep her past this trial run. They end up roommates due to lack of rooms on the ship.

Layla Stone transports us to a fascinating universe, well crafted, for a swirling romance, tons of actions and mysteries and the promise of many more stories to come.

Unexpected hostage was my latest happy surprise, I'll definitely look for more books by this author
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Unexpected Hostage

This is one of the best sci-fi stories I read! I absolutely loved the characters and their chemistry together. They were enjoyable and entertaining to read. I enjoyed each of the crew members as well.
The story was fast paced and full of suspense and adventure!
I highly recommend this!
Nancy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! Just a completely different story/idea than I’ve read in sci-fi genre. Sic is a Cerebral that is telepathic and can use telekinesis. Sasha is a slave who escapes a pleasure planet to pilot a vessel. Loved the story of how the two relate and become more than friends! Can’t wait to read the next book in this series!
Gladys
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book and an excellent start to this series. An interesting storyline and likable characters help to keep you fully engaged with the book. I really liked Sci and Sasha. I loved their differences and their chemistry. A very entertaining sci-fi romance. This is my honest, voluntary review.
Barbara
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book one in the Unexpected series this is a new Author and also the first book of hers that I have read, I see she has another book out that I would like to read. I enjoyed reading this story looking forward to reading the next book. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Tanya
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He was locked in a cage, after being kidnapped, beaten and sold. Now he has a cabin mate. She thinks he is not dangerous but she does not know him. The ship is attacked and he wants to escape. He finds he wants to take her with him. What will happen between them? Can they escape? See how they will get on

Lisa P
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Battle of wills

Overall this is a pretty good story. I liked the diversity of characters, in some ways reminding me of Firefly. Some of the events seemed a little rushed as far as overcoming obstacles.
Deb
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting story. I chose this because of the blurb and it didn't disappoint. I liked the world that the author created. I thought the relationship between the two prisoners was well written. He was very intriguing and she had quiet strength. A fun and engaging story.
Treena
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I really wanted to love this book but I just wasn't feeling the MC's. Sorry! For me, the most interesting character was Pax, a secondary character on the crew. He, apparently, is the MC of book 2; so I'm looking forward to reading his story.
Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written book with an interesting story line. The characters are strong and the story flows quickly and smoothly. I enjoyed reading this story.

Nike
Have you ever imagine Spock in a love story? imagine no more!!
I'm so looking forward to reading Jandy and Chollar, I need this book ASAP
Erin Wolanin
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

I enjoyed this book. Kept you interesting and I read it in one sitting. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Diana Gross
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Story by a wonderful new author.

This story has everything a sci fi romance fan wants. I can't wait to read more by this author. Searching for more of her work.
Stella
Sep 14, 2018
Wilma Lewis
Sep 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Layla Stone is a Sci-Fi romance author who is passionate about writing and reading romance. Her books are a blend of science fiction, romance and action adventure.

A business coordinator by trade and a bookworm at heart, Layla makes her home in Southern California where she lives with her husband, two children and a trio of fur babies.

Unexpected (3 books)
  • Unexpected Prize (Unexpected, #0.5)
  • Unexpected Demon (Unexpected, #2)