Start by marking “The Whisper Man” as Want to Read:
The Whisper Man

The Whisper Man

In this dark, suspenseful thriller, Alex North weaves a multi-generational tale of a father and son caught in the crosshairs of an investigation to catch a serial killer preying on a small town.

After the sudden death of his wife, Tom Kennedy believes a fresh start will help him and his young son Jake heal. A new beginning, a new house, a new town. Featherbank.

But the town

Published June 13th 2019 by Penguin Books UK

Paromjit
This is Alex North's crime debut and what a impressive debut it is. It drips with atmosphere, a disturbing story of The Whisper Man, who over 20 years ago kidnapped and murdered 5 local boys in the small town of Featherbank. Frank Carter is the Whisper Man, incarcerated in prison, reveling in his notoriety and reputation, playing mind games with 56 year old DI Pete Willis, the man who caught him. Despite the emotional cost, Pete has persevered through the years, visiting Carter in prison, in the ...more
Miranda Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

It's not going to be easy, and I need to start with an apology. Because over the years I've told you many times that there's no such thing as monsters.
I'm sorry that I lied.
Tom arrives at Featherbank with seven-year-old Jake in tow to escape the memories of their recently deceased wife and mother.

And while Featherbank appears to be an idyllic town on the surface. The house they move to is a bit sinister but nonetheless it is the new start that they both craved.
We were going to be safe here.
We
Meredith
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you."

20 years ago, a serial killer known as “The Whisper Man” abducted and killed several young children in a small English town called Featherbank. In the present moment, a little boy has been abducted and it seems that “The Whisper Man” is back at play-- EXCEPT he is in jail. Is there a copycat on the loose or is something more sinister going on in Featherbank?

In order to make a fresh start, Tom Kennedy and his son
Tammy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a menacing novel which is what a great thriller should be and I'm not going to tell you anything about it. Shhhh, did you hear that? I thought I heard a whisper.
Maureen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Whisper Man is Alex North’s debut thriller, and what an absolutely riveting read it is!

It’s some twenty years since Frank Carter began a life sentence for the abduction and murder of five little boys. Carter had earned himself the nickname ‘The Whisper Man’ after his sinister method of whispering at the doors and windows of his victims in order to lure them outside. Now though, another little boy has gone missing in similar circumstances, and the peaceful village of Featherbank is once again
Liz Barnsley
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you leave a door half-open. Soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken…

The Whispers begin in June 2019 and you might want to make a note of that because this novel is very very good indeed.

The Whisper Man has it all, extremely beautiful writing, exquisite plotting, a wonderful sense of place and a sinister undertone that may well keep you up at night.

You’ve probably seen a lot of hype surrounding this one, it was one of the hottest and most sought after proofs at Theakstons Old Peculiar Crime writi
Pauline
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes I start reading a book and everything around me disappears and I am totally engrossed in the story. The Whisper Man by Alex North was one of these books.
After the sudden death of his wife Tom and his seven year old son Jake buy a house and make a new start in the village of Featherbank. Everything is difficult from the start as Jake finds it hard to settle down at school and is frightened at home because he hears whispering outside his window.
This book was seriously creepy and I found
megs_bookrack
Thank you so much, Macmillan/Celadon Books, for the ARC!!!

This story sounds incredibly gripping and is getting phenomenal early reviews.
I can't wait to get to it!
Tracy Fenton
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since Hayley Joel Osment muttered those spine-tingling words "I see dead people" to Bruce Willis back in 1999 any book or film featuring little children talking to "imaginary" friends gives me the heebie jeebies and THE WHISPER MAN is no exception.

There is so much to say about this book, but I don't want to give anything away so all I can tell you is there is a sick psychopath out there abducting little boys in the present, a sick serial killer serving life in prison for abducting and killi
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
a5202c1c-cc32-4bdb-9ae7-a5d2dfad1a63.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___

Wow!! I am seriously impressed with "The Whisper Man" I couldn't put this down I was that invested in the unfolding storyline.
I also understand this is a debut author so that's even more outstanding.
The main focus of this story was Tom Kennedy and his son Jake.
After the death of his wife Tom now a single parent moves his young son into the town of featherbank for a fresh start.
twenty years previous Frank Carter had terrorised this area abducting and murdering young boys he was monikered the whis
Dennis
Well this was honestly a surprise. It's been a loooooooooong time since I've enjoyed a police-procedural thriller. A very long time indeed. Alex North's debut novel The Whisper Man is one of the best police-procedural novels that I've ever read, ever. Not since Sharon Bolton's The Craftsman, have I ever been so enthralled in a detective mystery. Alex North, you have a bright future ahead of you as an author, I'm telling you now.

The Whisper Man has several POVs throughout the novel, but the c
Janet
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019ng, kindle

In this psychological thriller, Alex North weaves a multi-generational tale of suspense, as a father and son are caught in the crosshairs of an investigation to catch a serial killer preying on a small town.

Christina McDonald
If you leave a door half open, soon you'll hear the whispers spoken.

I cannot even begin to express how jaw-droppingly good this book was. A beautifully told, tense, haunting story of a father and son who get caught in the crosshairs of a serial killer investigation. At times spine-tinglingly tense and at others absolutely heart-breaking, this is far and away my favorite crime thriller I’ve read in years.

It’s being compared to The Sixth Sense in some circles, and while the story isn’t really the
michelle
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Whisper Man by Alex North is a fantastic creepy debut thriller.
Tom and his 7-year-old Son Jake decide to move and make fresh start, after the sudden death of wife and mother Rebecca. They move to a town called Featherbanks and move into a house that the rest of the resident of Featherbacks think is a strange house. Where years before a serial killer lived who killed young boys but, it currently in prison paying for his crimes.
But nothing runs smoothly. Jake ends up in trouble in the first d
Rob Twinem
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First book by Alex North and what a brilliant psychological thriller it has proved to be. The body of a child Neil Spencer is discovered his death bearing an uncanny resemblance to the murder of five children some years ago...but that is impossible as the killer Frank Carter is imprisoned. DI Pete Willis is the policeman in charge but he is haunted by his past failures and his daily struggle with alcoholism...."So drink then. You're worthless . Just do it. The urge was stronger than ever, but he ...more
Nancy McFarlane
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Saul, Stephen King, and scary, haunting and creepy all come to mind when describing this masterfully plotted thriller. A young boy goes missing in a small town under circumstances eerily similar to the disappearances and murders of young boys 20 years earlier. Each hears a man whispering to him days before he goes missing. But, the perpetrator of that crime is in prison and was not known to have an accomplice. Besides being a page turning thriller Whisper Man is also an eye opening story of ...more
michelle
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Whisper Man by Alex North is a fantastic creepy debut thriller.
But nothing runs smoothly. Jake ends up in trouble in the first d
Elaine's Reviews
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serial killer nicknamed the Whisper Man terrorises a village 20 years earlier and is now locked up for his crimes. How is it then that he appears to be back....

The Whisper Man is a well written psychological thriller with elements of supernatural. I can't give any of the story away without spoiling it, but suffice to say that this fast paced book will grab your attention from the outset and then it ratchets up the tension all the way to the ending. A great read 4.5/5.
Lauren Kelsen
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this fantastic psychological thriller and I am absolutely in love with it! I am a huge fan of reading about Serial Killers, watching the tv show Criminal Minds, and the book series Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson. I have to say, The Whisper Man by Alex North is right up there with those things for me. The Whisper Man exceeded my expectations for a story about crime fiction with serial killers. I definitely give this book a 5/5 star rating!!

A father and son are caught
Gail
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely and utterly loved this book and was engrossed in it from the first page. I have literally just turned the final page and can barely see for the tears.

It is going to be hard for me to review this without giving the plot away, but I will do my best.

This is seriously good and I will never forget it, especially the wonderful DI Pete Willis and DI Amanda Beck.

Pete has made it his mission, for the last 20 years, to find the body of a little boy called Tony Smith. He knows who killed him
Sue Plant
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

once in a while you read a book that grabs you and frightens you and chills you and thats when you know you have found an amazing author to follow

this is an amazing story that will chill you to the bones and frighten you with just a whisper.....its a story of two people trying to pick up their lives after losing a loved one...

but its also a story about missing children who hear whispers at their open window, and
Mommacat
Review Copy

If you leave a door half open soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken.

That's all it took to send my stomach dropping and chills running down my spine. Partially open doors are my biggest phobia. I can't sleep in a room with a partially open closet or bathroom door. That one line scared the crap out of me and I did stop stop reading THE WHISPER MAN until the last page was turned.

This was an amazing debut thriller. The plotting is superb. The story both shocking and sad. I envy you who hav
Kat
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“If you leave a door half open,soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken” well this sets the scene for a fabulously creepy read and there was I sitting reading in bed late at night and glancing at MY half open door thinking if I hear a goddam whisper then all the lights go on !! It’s a really excellent read and what I liked about it most was how it explored the feelings and emotions of the characters so much, yes it’s a mystery thriller but it is also so much more and so well written that you find yo ...more
gem
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An outstanding debut crime thriller which hooked me from the outset and kept me captivated until the very end!
I loved the background story of The Whisper Man, the story of what happened in years gone by sets up the current time line incredibly well and gives it an even more disturbingly real feel.
Tom and Jake are brilliantly realised characters, their grief is palpable and you can feel that it still resonates in their every thought. Moving in to their new house should be a joyous occasion, but i
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
Psychological Thriller, YES PLEASE! This book was amazing! Page Turner, edge of you're seat thriller! Would love to sell this book at my store! Thank you netgalley for the free arc in exchange for an honest review!
The Book Review Café
With a synopsis that grabbed my attention and a promise from the publishers ‘GET READY FOR THE BIGGEST THRILLER OF 2019’ there was no way on earth I was going to miss reading The Whisper Man by Alex North. There is nothing more terrifying than a child being murdered, and the author expertly plays on these fears, creating a dark, creepy, and haunting read. Be prepared for a few sleepless nights, it takes a lot to unnerve me, but this book actually scared me silly in parts! (In the best possible w ...more
Jill Brown
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Tom's wife dies suddenly he and his son Jake move to a new town in the hope that a fresh start will help with their loss. Unfortunately their town of choice comes with a very dark past involving a serial killer and a current situation where young boys are being abducted.
I find it hard to review this book without giving too much away so will simply say that I enjoyed this genuinely thrilling book and highly recommend it. I found it unsettling and very creepy but so well written and enjoyable
Jade
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK AT NIGHT!!! I absolutely love this book. I’m a huge fan of psychological thrillers and I was over the moon to get the chance to read The Whisper Man. And I’m so glad I have.
I was gripped all the way through and it sent shivers down my spine.
Alex North has given us a lot of information about the characters throughout the book and it allows the book to flow smoothly into the next chapter. I do not want to say anything about the storyline as I don’t want to give it away but
Leanne
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of The Whisper Man by Alex North by the publisher for an honest review. This a debut novel for Alex and what a cracking first novel. The story begins with Tom and his 7 year old son they are coping with the sudden death of Jake's mother. They decide to move to Featherbank to restart their lives. In Featherbank the detectives are looking for a young boy who has gone missing, which is similar to the disappearances of 5 other children 20 years before.

This book is well written, w
Sophie Bristow Harris
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Whisper Man” by Alex North is a fantastic psychological thriller which I enjoyed immensely. The writing was clear, descriptive and very creepy!
The characters were well moulded and I liked seeing how fractured lives could be gradually reblended despite their issues.
A fantastic first book for me to start 2019 off. Superb writer which I hope to read many more of.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Hamlet Retelling
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • The King's Questioner
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • The Red Labyrinth
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Suggested Reading
  • Nameless Queen
  • All We Could Have Been
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Untitled
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • Untitled