Start by marking “Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars (Kid Legends Book 5)” as Want to Read:

Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars

(Kid Legends)

From the author who brought young readers KID ATHLETES, KID PRESIDENTS, KID ARTISTS, and KID AUTHORS comes KID SCIENTISTS, a lively look into the childhoods of the world's most brilliant scientists.
Published October 9th 2018 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Kid Scientists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Scientists

Start your review of Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars (Kid Legends Book 5)
Emily
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was such an amazing book and so much fun to read! Each scientist gets their own short story that's packed full of facts and illustrations! This is great for a young reader who wants to know more about their idol or one who is more into nonfiction than fiction. They have a ton of great picks and I love that there was diversity in both race and the science topic!
Julia
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting and also in particular Vera Rubin and Temple gardien if you have not read this book I support you read all there chapters to find out how they become famous scientists. My favorites were Maire Cuire and Temple Gardin she surprised me on what she did. Very cool! 😎 👩🏻‍🔬
Reese
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book about the lives of many children before they grew up and became famous scientists. Very educational! Check out the rest of the books in this series, with titles such as 'Kid Presidents', 'Kid Athletes' and more.
Melanie Dulaney
My budding scientists and Science teachers will be pleased to have a copy of this collection of mini biographies in my 4th and 5th grade libraries. Unlike many biographies, Stabler provides more information on the early lives of a wide variety of giants in the world of the animal, space, medical, and other sciences. Young readers may see themselves in some of the childhood experiences of these influential men and women and it is only a small step for them to then visualize a possible future in s ...more
Anya
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Choice book #4 Quarter 2

The book is Kid Scientists by David Stabler. The genre of the book is Nonfiction and the setting is in the world.

Jane Goodall, Katherine Johnson, and Albert Einstein

Jane Goodall was a very curious child she loved all animals and often took them in the house. She had a very wide imagination. She keep worms underneath her pillow and tried everything to keep them in the house, even if it meant hiding them.

Katherine Johnson was a very smart girl that by the age of fourteen s
June Jacobs
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume is a collection of short biographies of famous scientists—with a twist! The biographies are focused on how these ground-breaking scientists behaved and learned as children. Readers learn details about the featured individuals' educations, inspirations, gifts, strengths, and weaknesses.

I will admit that I had never heard of many of these individuals, and that is why I loved this book so much. I learned about people who truly made a positive impact on our world through their study of a
Ebookwormy1
Kid Legends Series review…
Kid Legends is a multi-author, multi-illustrator series that is a big hit with students. The text and illustration have a casual style that often includes an undertone of sarcasm. Kid Legends is not as far over the edge or a busy as the “You Wouldn’t Want to be…” series, which I find annoying, but they use a little zest with the subject matter. This upbeat tone, even in the accounting of serious childhood struggles, maintains the positive message that all will come out
Ryn Andri
Quite inspiring. This book tells us the backround story on many scientist. Vera Rubin, Issac Newton, Einstein, Ben Franklin, Marie Curie etc. This book tell us about how some of those scientis grow in a poor family, some of them are slaved, left by his own mother. Some of them had autism, been bullied as a kid, but they can get through it.

I try to love this book. I like the Idea, but not how its delivered. Quite boring, I think.
The illustration helps a lot, also the trivia at the the end of thi
Cat
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspirational book! Kids are going to love reading about these influencial and brilliant scientists. Sometimes we can forgot that these individuals ever were children as they have been placed on such high pedestals. But they began the same as every other human on the planet and passed through childhood, just like everyone else. I think maybe even adults might enjoy reading their stories as they were really very engaging. I think maybe teachers could incorporate this book into lessons on ...more
Dan Shonka
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I received this book as a GoodReads giveaway, and boy am I glad I did! This book is fill with fun facts about a wide variety of famous scientists, with the focus on their lives as youngsters. You'll find the stories to be motivational and inspirational. The author has also written others like this (Kid Presidents for example). If you're a "media specialist" at a school or a public librarian, these would be great books to have available for your readers to peruse. If you have a youn ...more
Tabby Shiflett
4.5 Stars
A diverse collection of mini-bios of some of the greatest scientific minds that roughly covers the last couple of centuries. Just like the other books in this series, the scientists are from different backgrounds and cultures and are loosely grouped by subject. There's plenty of amusing artwork and a good selection for further reading at the end. A good choice for middle grades.

Net Galley Feedback
Melody
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 10 year old daughter loved this book and gave it to me to read. It’s a fun way to engage the biographies of a variety of different scientists. I love the diversity of those included and the way that they are illustrated. My daughter has read and enjoyed the entire series, and I love that she is learning about these different important figures.
Mary
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun book about some snapshots of famous scientists that we only learn about their adulthood and achievements in textbooks and news. The childhood stories were hilarious and was intriguing to read about where their curious minds were when they were children and what motivated them. Loved the illustrations! Definitely would not have been the same without the illustrations.
Philippa N
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is on the Royal Society Young People’s Book Award 2019 shortlist. The children are on one of the judging panels and that is how I came across it.

It reads like a living book (let’s hear a cheer from CM educators); it’s engaging and informative without being obviously didactic.

An inspiring read for children (as it also was for me).
wildct2003
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good entry of what I call the “________ were kids, too” series.

One complaint: author claims newts are lizards (p. 143, Rosalind Franklin) when in fact they are amphibians.

Probably an editing mistake: p. 184, should that be Medical and not Medica Research?

Nitpicking aside, still worth a read.
Mrs. Schuld
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book so much! So creative. So many biographies center around the major events in a person’s life, but this book focuses on the childhoods of these famous scientists. They are filled with funny stories, but many have themes about staying curious and overcoming adversities in ways that kids can relate to. The illustrations are also funny. I can’t say enough good things about this book!
Lisa
This is a fun book about scientists when they were kids. It includes a variety of scientists, Jane Goodall, Albert Einstein, Roselind Franklin, George Washington Carver, etc. I really enjoyed it and the illustrations. I think that kids will love it like I did. Highly Recommended.
Andréa
Note: I accessed digital review copies of this book through Edelweiss and NetGalley.
Sandy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring quick read. A fitting addition to the Kid Biography series.
Michelle Gray
I liked it but I do wish there were more dates used as a way to help frame the time period some of the scientists grew up in.
VBergen
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, children, history
The book is interesting, the illustrations are beautiful.
Age: from 7 years old

description
Natalie
Good nighttime overview to read to my seven year old.
Gabrielle Belisle
Where was this book when I was a kid? It's informative and inspiring. For once, a book about scientists and 9 of the 16 people featured are WOMEN.
Senator
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another winner in the "Kid" series! With fun illustrations to keep kids entertained, the short but inspiring snapshots of a variety of scientists makes for a fun, informed read!
Olivia Kozlowski
BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!! I love it because it is very inspiring
Sara Patterson
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, science
Great little stories about different scientists
Alison
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the series of "Kid" biography books.
Liz
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read about what these scientists were doing as kids.
Nicole
Jul 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kid Scientists by David Stabler and Anoosha Syed is a wonderful collection of stories that share the early path of some famous scientists. This is an excellent nonfiction book that would be great upper elementary and middle school students. I enjoyed reading about the ‘young’ scientists.

This book is fill with fun facts about a wide variety of famous scientists, with the focus on their lives as youngsters. You'll find the stories to be motivational and inspirational. Some of the scientists you

• Kid Activists
  • Illustrated Would You Rather? (Silly Kids and Family Scenarios 1)
  • Guts
  • Ivy and Bean Make the Rules
  • Greetings from Somewhere 4 Books in 1!: The Mystery of the Gold Coin; The Mystery of the Mosaic; The Mystery of the Stolen Painting; The Mystery in the Forbidden City
  • 'Snot Funny (George Brown, Class Clown, #14)
  • Lice Check (George Brown, Class Clown, #12)
  • Ivy and Bean Take the Case
  • Evil Spy School (Spy School #3)
  • Just Breathe: Meditation, Mindfulness, Movement, and More
  • Are You Listening?
  • Stargazing
  • Eva's Big Sleepover: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #9)
  • Eva and Baby Mo: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #10)
  • Thea Stilton and the Dancing Shadows (Thea Stilton #14)
  • The Cloud Castle (Thea Stilton: Special Edition #4)
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)

Kid Legends (5 books)