Start by marking “The Girls” as Want to Read:
The Girls

The Girls

Four little girls meet under an apple tree and form a bond that grows as they share secrets, dreams, worries and schemes. This beautifully illustrated tale charts the girls' lives through ups and downs and laughter and tears. Find out how their friendship flourishes as the years pass by and the girls become women.
Published July 12th 2018 by Caterpillar Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls

Start your review of The Girls
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL, ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. The Girls is a short picture book, documenting the lives of four friends throughout life. First, they are children and then become adults. I first found out about this book through Twitter and thanks to my Dad, who works in libraries, was able to track down a copy quickly. Simple but effective, this story also features an F/F relationship with strong, important messages about love and diversity.
La Coccinelle
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The synopsis pretty much sums this one up. It's about friendship, supportiveness, and kindness. There's no real story, other than the one that we all face, which is growing up.

While the illustrations are cute and the text is competent, I just couldn't connect to this one. It almost seems more like a little book a woman might make as a gift for her friends, celebrating their years of friendship. It seems oddly personal, in a way, and perhaps that's why I couldn't really relate. (Maybe if you have
Rod Brown
This looks good on the surface with its diverse cast and themes of friendship and support, but the story is so mild and wishy washy that it doesn't really make a strong statement about girls per se. I feel you could substitute all boys and not really need to change the words very much beyond the pronouns.
Becky
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite sweet and a nice message. However this isn't really a story, and I don't think it will entertain it's target audience for very long. It does make for a nice read and is a good introduction to the idea that girls can do anything.
Angel McGregor
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story that illustrates how friendship should look - happy, fun, supportive and diverse! Without making a big deal (which is the way it should be) this book shows the how four little girls befriend each other under an apple tree and how they weave in and out of each other's lives as they grow up. Ace has created a friendship that all children should value, their innocence showing on each page in a subtle way that supports inclusion without the story being about that.
Rachel
My review for this is just basically a long line of hearts.

Four girls support and love each other throughout their lives, from childhood to adulthood-- the story is a celebration of female friendship. Is 'The Girls' going to appeal to kids? I don't know, given that the concept of life-long friendship as portrayed here is complex, but it's the kind of book that can gather meaning over time as children grow into their own relationships with their peers.

Trisha
Absolutely classy example of quality picture book.
Georgia
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good for a talk but there is hardly any plot in there ... this story could have been better... feels more like a propaganda book then a children picture book.
Nia Talbot
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated book that explores friendship and how girls/women can have the futures they decide.
Emma
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is suitable for children throughout primary school. It could be used in PSHE to talk about friendships and how everyone is different and has their own talents but that we can learn from and help each other. It discusses kindness between friends and sharing worries and secrets. The story involves four friends as they grow up and also could be used to discuss inclusion of different ethnicities and disabilities but how, despite these differences, individuals can still form friendships. ...more
Eloise Battey
Although I think this book tells a story of friendship and support I don’t think it does a good job of inspiring strong women. Unfortunately it followed the classic narrative of ‘men will break your heart’ and that women must go on to have children.
KC
A darling look at how four childhood girls remain friends for life.
Adele
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing. Great diversity and representation, but no real story, too much telling instead of showing, and worst of all, none of the girls had any real personality.
Villain E
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like this is going to resonate more with parents than with kids. Four girls are friends in childhood and manage to stay friends their whole lives. A good message, but nothing to catch a child's attention.
Khansa Baig
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Four good friends find a tree that becomes their Secret Meeting Place: Lottie, the adventurer; Leela, who always has good ideas; Sasha, the practical one; and Alice, the performer.

The girls are great at celebrating each other’s successes, but even better at supporting each other when things go wrong. As they grow into four very different young women, their friendship stays as strong as the tree.

This touching picture book perfectly captures the value and joy of female friendship for children, but
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a book with lots of diversity in it of various kinds. As an adult whose friends are now all in very different stages of life, I like the heart-warming message that we can grow up (and all have different interests) and still stay close.
Lauren Jones
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heart-warming story about friendship, growing up and teaching girls they can be whoever they choose to be. A beautifully written story accompanied by beautiful illustrations.
Meredith
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Four girls form a friendship in childhood that lasts into adulthood.

"The four girls were as different as they were the same, and they were the best of friends."

This picture book introduces four very different girls (Sasha, Lottie, Alice, and Leela) who becomes friends. The story follows them from childhood, through adolescence, and into adulthood.

"The four women were still as different as they were the same. And they were still the best of friends."

Throughout their lives, their friendship is a
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Girls by Lauren Ace, illustrated by Jenny Loulie. PICTURE BOOK. Rodale Kids, MAY 2019. $18. 9781984896513

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL, GIFT- OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Four friends discover a tree that continues to bring them together even as they grow up and away.

For people who have had these kinds of long-lasting friendships, I can see this is a very tender read that they will buy and gift to each other. It has a nice sense of community building and sweet illustrations. It just has a
Maxine
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of four young girls who meet and become dear friends under an apple tree. The tale follows this friendship as the girls grow up and through the simple yet emotional illustrations, we see just how key having a best friend can be in life. I've since bought this book for my own best friend as I'm lucky enough to have grown up with her too, and would recommend this story to anyone who hopes to instil the values of true friendship in the little ones in their life... fingers crossed ...more
Laura's Book Addiction
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PSA :- Go buy this book for your pre-schooler, honestly such an important read about Friendship, acceptance and I love that a gay couple were featured in this wonderful story. Also I adored how the story showed the girls growing up and how the friendship grew with them.

The illustrations are beautiful and my daughter loved that one of the characters was called Lottie and has ginger hair just like her.
Erin
An ode to lifelong supportive friendships. I love that this particular story focuses on girls growing into women, with many colors, cultures, and orientations represented. The aspects of friendship include mistake-making, but are focused mostly on helping each other through milestones and just being there. Lovely illustrations and concept.

I eagerly await a similarly celebratory friendship story that also incorporates how any gender can supply another.
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, kid-lit
My 7-year-old daughter picked out this book at the library today and told me that it was so good and I had to read it. This book was so incredibly sweet, and I loved it so much. If you want a feel-good book about the importance and power of friendship, look no further. This book follows the lives of a group of girls and shows how their friendship with one another evolves as they grow up. Such a beautiful book.
Ellie Labbett
A story that follows a group of friends as they grow up, find their own paths in life and support each other along the way. Ace and Loulie present a lovely inclusive celebration of connection and differences, and I feel that each child might find a part of themselves within the four characters. This would be such a welcome book for children coming to understand changes that come with age, and that friendship can still stand the test of time regardless of being separated
Kirsty Cabot
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book, and so did my 4 yr old. So much so she asked me to read it again straight away when we reached the end... every night since we got it.

A lovely story about friendship between girls as they grow into women. How important friendship is, and how strong it can be, and what that can look like.
Rosie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pshe, ks1, classroom
Loved the positive message about friendship especially that between girls. I would read this to KS1 or give to KS2 girls to read themselves. The diverse characters help the story to feel relatable and the lovely illustrations are a bonus. Fab.
Jennifer Smyth
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how much I loved this book. It's a book about true friendship and four girls who grow up and stick together through their ups and downs. I loved their bond and their individuality. This is what girl power is all about!
Raquel Pilar
Sasha, Lottie, Alice and Leela are great friends who always meet at their special tree!
The story is about their friendship and how they always support each other even if they are apart.
Very inspiring! I totally shared it with my best friends, it reminded me of them
Hollie Abbott
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A great book for girls and friendships, showing how friendship can last a lifetime although we are all different and live independent lives. Not really a typical story but a illustrated explanation . Great for young girls
Emma
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story about the strength and beauty of female friendship! Charming illustrations, too. Reminds me a little of Miss Rumphius in that it follows these girls as they become women, learn and grow, succeed and fail. Beautiful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • The Sad Little Fact
  • Max Attacks
  • Ruby’s Worry
  • Mini Rabbit Not Lost (Mini Rabbit)
  • Truman