Start by marking “Scornful Scones (Cozy Corgi Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Scornful Scones (Cozy Corgi Mysteries)

Scornful Scones

(Cozy Corgi Mysteries #5)

With summer approaching, Estes Park is abuzz with flowers, baking, tourists, and… murder.

Tourist season is about to begin, and the lovely weather has Winifred Page and her corgi sidekick, Watson, leaving the comfort of the Cozy Corgi Bookshop and Bakery to reluctantly attend a celebration at the Black Bear Roaster coffee shop. But a chill of uncertainty settles over Fred
Published April 27th 2018 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Scornful Scones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scornful Scones

Start your review of Scornful Scones (Cozy Corgi Mysteries)
Sherry Fundin
Scornful Scones was a delightful visit to the small town of Estes Park, tagging along while Fred and Watson poke their nose in another mystery.

Katie’s delightful squeal of joy and Watson’s scrabbling feet as he rushes to get the treat he missed when it was thrown to him put an immediate smile on my face.

A small town takes a while to accept an outsider and Fred sure doesn’t make it easy for them. Everyone knows everyone’s business and they are just waiting for Fred to start questioning her
Nat ReadingAllNite
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-read
This was a really cute installment of this cozy series. Fred is still a thorn in a few peoples sides but once again she’s hot on the trail of murder. It’s also moves the romantic potential forward, just a bit, for her and Branson. Leo’s not entirely out of the picture though, I don’t think. There’s also new faces in town and in the bookshop. Very enjoyable, quirky mystery!
Laura Thomas
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Fred is busy with her first tourist season in Estes Park since The Cozy Corgi opened. But she still finds time to attend an event at the Black Bear Roaster. Even though the owner can’t stand her, she stills needs to show her face. Wouldn’t you know it. She accidentally overhears an argument between two people and soon after one of them chokes to death. Fred and Watson are once again on the case.

So many fun things to talk about. I was especially excited about Ben and Nick. Twin brothers that
Teri
I really like these.
(view spoiler)
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
This is such a fun cozy mystery series, each book is better than the last. The mystery kept me on my toes trying to figure out the culprit. There are plenty of red herrings and suspects aplenty. Each book has me feeling like I visit with friends. I get such a kick reading about Watson's antics, they are always good for a giggle. I look forward to reading more in this delightful series.

I received a copy of this book for the author, my review has been voluntarily submitted.
Cathy Brockman
Scornful Scones is book five in the series but you can read them as stand alone, but it's more fun in order! This way you do have a better understanding of all the characters. And man oh man is there a lot of characters!
Fred (Winifred) is back to sort of dating Branson, though she still hasn't written Leo off all the way either. It looks like Katie and Leo are pretty cozy ( I couldn't help the pun) and we get to see more of Paulie and his fastidious corgis Flotsum and Jetsum.
Things seem to
Anna's Herding Cats
Well this one got me! I do enjoy when I don't solve the whole thing and get a surprise.

The Gist: Scones are killing people. Accidents, surely! Fred, though, has a gut feeling. Something is hinky and she's gonna figure it out.

Fred continues to be a great heroine. She's a little difficult. Sometimes a little self absorbed. But she's got a good heart, loves books and dogs and her friends. She's dedicated and curious. I enjoy spending time with her and her friends. Her grumpy pup, too.

The mystery
Cheryl Landmark
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come soon.
Marguerite Long
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They keep getting better!!! My daughters, mother and I are reading the series together
Nola Arganbright
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
All about the scones

Delightful Cozy with a recipe for scones included. I am becoming extremely fond of this series based in a small mountain town in Colorado. It and it's residents keep busy dealing with murders and town politics.
Gabbi Grey
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series (an audio review)

I was never a huge fan of Cozy mysteries but this series has me rethinking that. Of course I’m not sure I’d enjoy all of them – just ones with an ornery Corgi named Watson. Oh, I love Fred, his owner and the person often tasked with figuring out whodunnit. She’s feisty, independent, and doesn’t take any guff from anyone. I adore her best friend Katie, baker extraordinaire. Her family are something to behold and, finally, I’m a little bit in love with her two
John Amory
In my review of Savage Sourdough, I suggested Alicia Witt as Fred for my dream cast of the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries adaptation of this series. I would like to add Luke Macfarlane as Branson, Juan Pablo di Pace as Leo, and Kellie Martin as Katie. You're welcome, Hallmark; I'm doing all the work for you.
Fred Herrmann
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Series!

I have really enjoyed reading this series! The characters are very diverse and the stories are interesting. I can't wait for the next book!!
Kirby Manning
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful Mystery Mayhem

I find this book series delightful and entertaining. The plots are filled with individuals that grow and change , and unite like a family. I would recommend that reader begin the series in order. I didn't start with the first book, but the story line was so cute, I went back and read all in the series. The stories are a comfortable and relaxing afternoons read. The star is the Corgi and from the first story forward it becomes obvious the Corgi has a mind of his own. The
Victoria Smiser
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I was thrilled to read another adventure from the Cozy Corgi Mystery series, I was somewhat worried that my favorite pastry would be involved in a murder??? Nooo!!!
When a so-called pillar of the community chokes on one of the those cardboard pre-made (who knows when) scones at the Black Bear Roaster, a day later another less than popular resident is seemingly poisoned while eating her favorite scone at the café. Fred is at the café witnessing both deaths. Once again certain members of the
Lynn W Stubenrauch
A very cozy pastry filled mystery

I am really enjoying this series. Each book has a great mystery, lots of pastries and a cute corgi to boot. Very entertaining. I love the bookstore with the bakery upstairs as the main location. So yummy!
Robyn Gaye-Murphy
Scornful Scones (Cozy Corgi Mysteries book 5) by Mildred Abbott
With Fred and Watson right on the spot, a death happened in front of them at the Black Bear Roaster coffee shop. Only Fred didn’t think it was a choking accident, or even heart attack! Murder had fallen at her feet once more in Estes Park, and Fred sat down with Watson by the fire in her book shop to try and work out how the murder had been committed. When another murder happened, all Fred had was two disliked people, both on the
Glakritz

Genre: Mystery
Release date: April 27th 2018
Rated: Mature
Pages: 300

No one expected when Winifred Page and her trusted corgi Watson moved into town to open a book store, she would be followed by a rash of deaths….all murders! Fred came to Estes Park to lick her wounds, losing her publishing business and ending her marriage. Her mom lived here with her new husband and Fred needed
Sherrel
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scornful Scones

Great episode for Fred, Katie, Leo and Branson. Even Susan Green was understandable in her actions!
While the plot centers on solving "who" murdered two of the most horrible people in town, there were reminders to us, the readers, that a person's worth is not determined by money, social standing or gossip but that each person we meet should be shown respect. Words hurt-especially young people who carry the pain like a scar.
I'm enjoying this series more with each episode
Tyra Berger
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I am completely addicted to this series! These books are like comfort food for my reading soul.

Just when life are starting to get back to normal in the tourist town of Estes Park CO, there's another death. And Fred and Watson are front and center when things turn deadly. As hard as Fred tries not to get involved, she can't seem to help herself. The author does a great job of letting you believe you know who the murderer is but throwing in enough red herrings that you just aren't quite positive.

Robin Powers
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fred does it again! This one kept me guessing a little bit trying to decide what the motivation was behind the most recent death in Estes Park. Fred kept me hopping from one theory to another as different people in town come under suspicion. I have really been enjoying Fred, Katie and Leo's friendship as Fred becomes more submerged in the town's culture. I wish I could figure out the mystery behind Branson Wexler...there's just some secret I know Fred is going to discover. Watson seems to be an ...more
Krystyna
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revenge or more

Another good read but again the plot left me feeling a bit so, so. It was well written, well thought out but it just didn't grab me the way the first three books did. When Carla has a party to celebrate her son's arrival, no-one expected the death of her father-in-law. Was it really a natural death or murder as she suspected? Another murder, an attempted murder and the arrest of a high school student means that she won't rest until she gets to the truth. The characters are great
Julie
Scornful scones by Mildred Abbott, is the newest in the Cozy Corgi Mysteries. This delightful read brings us up close with the merchants and shops of Estes Park. Our accidental sleuths Fred and Corgi pal Watson find themselves at ground zero in the death of a much hated, local town councilman. The Black Bear Roasters, home of the desiccated scone, is the town coffeehouse where repast can lead to repose.

I really enjoyed the perfect timing of the twists, and thought This was a well done cozy
Terri
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun series. I love the characters in this world. Fred is evolving and trying to become a better person, and I found her struggles to do so very believable. I love that the dry scones mentioned in the previous stories became something more here. While this is part of a wonderful series, I do think it would work fine as a standalone. Read them all though, to understand the relationships between the characters. There are great descriptions, quirky characters, and terrific writing. I ...more
Ann
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winifred Page and her loyal sidekick Watson are once again on the track of yet another death. This time at Black Bear Roaster. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Their scones should have had a hazard warning on them anyway. But was this an accident or was it murder?
I love these stories. There are always so many twists in them. Just when you think you have it sorted, something comes along to throw you off the case.
Beverly June Davis
Guilty Pleasures

All Stars Fun. I've read all the Corgi books. I can't have a dog now that I'm 82 (in June), so my grandson's
Alstasian , Hans visits regularly. I read a great number books, all genres: except romance. I like these stories. because they aren't dark,the characters are fun. I'm a bit weary of her indecisiveness about the men in her life.Otherwise I am quite satisfied.
Sue Paulsen
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scornful Scones is another awesome story in the Cozy Corgi series by Mildred Abbott! A fun whodunit that this go around has Fred and her four-legged sidekick Watson trying to figure out who is behind the killing at the Black Bear Roaster coffee shop. This story has some interesting, unexpected twists and turns along with the fun banter with the other Estes Park residents/ shop owners.

I love the Cozy Corgi series and can’t wait to see where Mildred Abbott takes us next!
Eirlys
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Real Mouthful

Fred is up to her neck in murder again. She has moaned about the scones incessantly, even though Watson ends up eating them. A few new characters are introduced, probably because the old ones are being murdered so quickly! I enjoyed this book and didn't want it too end. I cannot wait until next month for the next book to be published. I am already missing Watson.
Nina Derr
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being that this is the 5th book in this fun series I like that you get to start learning more about some of the secondary characters. With this one you seemed to get two for one murders that Fred and Watson get to figure out with the help of Katie and Leo. I, however, can't wait to learn more about Detective Wexler and Officer Green.
doris
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abbott/scornful scones

Enjoy 5th series of Fred and her dog watson. Another day in Estes park and another crime they are in involved in. These series are like a whodunit mysteries if you like those kind of mystery very well written , it reminds me of board game clue, it's one clue after another with a wrench thrown in the middle and makes the characters we configured the puzzle.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Murder at Pooch Park (Wagging Tail Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Panic at the Pier (A Whodunit Pet Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Mixing Up Murder (Little Dog Diner Book 1)
  • Books, Brownies and Murder (A Story Tree Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Fortune's Favors (Claire Rollins Mystery, #5)
  • Lemon Bars & Murder (Sweet Treats Mystery, #3)
  • Scandal at the Gala (Sweetfern Harbor Mystery #8)
  • Murder at the Dog Training Academy (Wagging Tail Cozy Mystery Book 4)
  • Pilgrim in the Parlor (The Inn at Holiday Bay #6)
  • A Stab in the Dark (Whodunit Antiques, #2)
  • A Merry Murder at St. Bernard Cabins (Wagging Tail Cozy Mystery #3)
  • Murder at the Pet Boutique (Wagging Tail Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Chartreux Shock (Marjorie's Cozy Kitten Cafe #2)
  • Note in the Nutcracker
  • The Case of the Quizzical Queens Beagle (The Thousand Islands Doggy Inn Mysteries Book 17)
  • Message in the Mantel
  • Picnics, Pies and Lies (A Chocolate Centered Cozy Mystery Book 13)
  • Haunting in the Hallway (The Inn at Holiday Bay #5)
Reading the Cozy Corgi series is pretty much all you need to know about Mildred. In real life, she’s obsessed with everything she writes about: Corgis, Books, Cozy Mountain Towns, and Baked Goods. She’s not obsessed with murder, however. At least not at her own hands (nor paid for… no contract killing here). But since childhood, starting with Nancy Drew, trying to figure out who-dun-it has played ...more

Cozy Corgi Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Cruel Candy (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #1)
  • Traitorous Toys (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #2)
  • Bickering Birds (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #3)
  • Savage Sourdough (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #4)
  • Chaotic Corgis (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #6)
  • Quarrelsome Quartz (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #7)
  • Wicked Wildlife (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #8)
  • Malevolent Magic (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #9)
  • Killer Keys (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #10)
  • Perilous Pottery (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #11)