Start by marking “Twin Cities Noir” as Want to Read:
Twin Cities Noir

Twin Cities Noir

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Brand-new stories by: David Housewright, Steve Thayer, Judith Guest, Mary Logue, Bruce Rubenstein, K.J. Erickson, William Kent Krueger, Ellen Hart, Brad Zeller, Mary Sharratt, Pete Hautman, Larry Millett, Quinton Skinner, Gary Bush, and Chris Everheart.

Published June 1st 2006 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Twin Cities Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twin Cities Noir

Shawn
I usually lead these Akashic Noir City anthology reviews with any personal ties I have to the focus city or, lacking that, any impression I have them. But, I'll be honest, I have no personal ties to Minneapolis/St. Paul, no impression of it and no pop-culture perception of it beyond it being the setting for Mary Tyler Moore. So I'm going in blind...

Overall, this was a slightly weaker entry, with a lot of chaff loaded at the back and a good number of stories that don't really qualify as "noir" de
Awallens
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Julie Schaper has been a Twin Cities resident for 11 years. She lives with her husband and two dogs in the Merriam Park neighborhood of St. Paul. Steven
Horwitz has worked in publishing for 25 years. He lives with his wife and two dogs in St. Paul.
I
Emily
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
After discovering the existence of this series of volumes of short stories which spotlight various cities and locales around the world, I chose to start with one familiar to me (in order to evaluate, you could say). All in all, I was impressed, with some exceptions - but unevenness is unfortunately the risk one takes when reading an anthology of stories by different authors. I liked these offerings enough to try another city.
Tuxlie

"Local editors Schaper and Horwitz have assembled a noteworthy collection of noir-infused stories mixed with laughter…The Akashic noir short-story anthologies are avidly sought and make ideal samplers for regional mystery collecting."
--Library Journal

"Crime fans who missed the first round will find this expanded version worthwhile."
--Publishers Weekly

"The best pieces in the collection turn the clichés of the genre on their head . . . and despite the unseemly subject matter, the stories are oft

Skjam!
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noir fans, Minnesotans
Recommended to Skjam! by: Mayday Books
Shelves: comics
Like the previously reviewed USA Noir, this is a collection of grittier crime stories from Akashic Books with a regional focus. In this case, the cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis in Minnesota, and the surrounded metro area, plus one up north in Duluth (“Hi, I’m God” by Steve Thayer; a teenager drowns in Lake Superior…or does he?)

This is the “expanded edition” released in 2013 with three new stories, bringing it to a total of eighteen. The new ones are conveniently all in the front in the “St
Harris
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had read this anthology of noir short stories, part of the Akashic Noir series that explore the dark side of various world cities in 2007, soon after its publication, intrigued by a collection that drew upon the quirkiness and dark under belly of the Twin Cities. Like most anthologies, the stories themselves were a bit of a mixed bag, but I recalled really enjoying this collection. After having now read a few more in the series, I have to say that TC Noir remains among the most thematic of the ...more
Dave Courtney
This collection of short stories is my introduction to the Akashic Noir series. I am a big fan of the Twin Cities, and so I was excited to encounter these local writers capturing some of the local spirit of the area.

This was the expanded edition (with two added stories to push this to 18 total). Each story provides its own unique style, connecting the feel and character of this Northern community with an equal passion. There are classic detective stories and mysteries, and even a graphic story
Andrew
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I've always judged Noir by “Can I picture Humphrey Bogart in one of the roles?” That definition has served me well for years. Then, I read David Housewhite's “Mai-Nu's Window”, the first story in the anthology “Twin Cities Noir”. Excellent. Moody. Dark. NOIR! Except … no Bogart, not even in one of the supporting roles – and it doesn't matter!

Twin Cities Noir is one of the best crime anthologies I've read to date. Most of the stories hit the mark – OK, some cheat a little by setting the stories
Vickie
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
As with most anthologies I come across to read, this one has a few skippable, a few skimmable, one or two or three gems and the rest darn fab.
My favorites here: MAI-NU'S WINDOW by David Housewright with its well-done manipulation, BUMS by William Kent Krueger with more manipulation, TAKING THE BULLETS OUT by Mary Sharratt with revenge, and THE BREWER'S SON by Larry Millett which has a nice Sherlock Holmes feel.
I knew I'd like William Kent Krueger's story, he's a favorite author. Was well pleas
Kelley
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm not a big short story fan. I never have been and yet every so often I pick some up thinking my views will have changed... nope, not yet. This book contains stories for multiple authors, some were obviously better than others, but none were spectacular. I guess I need more of a commitment to my books. I like to build more of a relationship with characters so back to the novels I will go until my short story curiosity comes again.
Jrobertus
The editors compiled 18 short stories set in the Twin Cities (well, one in Duluth) with a dark twist. They are pretty fun to read as a native of Minneapolis and some are excellent. David Housewright's story, "Mai-Nu's WIndow" was particularly clever and Larry Millet's "The Brewer's Son" had a Sherlock Holmes aura.
Nikki
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Part of a series of books centered on specific locations, with the authors mainly being from those locations. As is often the case in such anthologies, some stories were better than others. Several of the stories in this book were historical. I'd say my favorite was a contemporary one, Noir Neige by Pete Hautman, set at the impound lot (and anyone from Minneapolis knows what that means).
Lisa
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Received this book from the Early Reviewers program at Library Thing. Those who know me know that I have a completely unreasonable love of all things Twin Cities. Although not always a fan of short stories, these are great noir fiction. And the references to Minneapolis and Saint Paul will delight anyone who has my same fascination with Minnesota!
Briankiwi
I found a couple of gems in here, and the remainder made for a decent enough read over a couple of frigid February evenings. Probably not going to hold your interest if you don't already have a strong connection with the Twin Cities (or a passion for noir) -- and seeing locally famous (cliched) place names pop up right on cue in every story felt a bit forced.
Jacq
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
My Intro to Lit class just finished reading selections from this great little collection of short Noir stories written by Minnesota authors. The fiction is top notch, and though not all the stories are classic "noir" pieces, those that aren't strictly "hardboiled" detective stories cleverly stretch the genre's boundaries and push toward a uniquely Midwestern contemporary noir.
Sam
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am not a big fan of short stories there were some surprisingly good stories, with a lot that I wished were longer. There were a few that the endings just left you hanging and that was disappointing. And then there were some that just made no sense. All in all if you like short stories than this is the book for you. I received this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer.
Lucas
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Very few of the contributions on offer here are worthwhile. The ratio of enjoyable stories to meh stories is dangerously low. There are a couple of gems (by William Krueger and Ellen Hart, in particular) that are worthy of better company and I would heartily recommend these stories, but not the volume as a whole.
Sam
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Decent collection of short stories set primarily in the Twin Cities. Like most short story collections, some were really quite good - may have me looking up more from those authors (Housewright, Erickson, Sharrat, Millet) - others I didn't find to my liking. The history of St Paul sound interesting as well.
Izzy
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I only really enjoyed a few stories in this book. Many seemed to be pointless and written with poor endings. I grew up in the twin cities area and I have to say most of the stories didn't seem to portray either city very well. In my opinion not worth reading.
Kelly
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Rating any short story collection is a bit tough. To some degree the weakest stories in the collection can ruin the full rating. Some of the stories in this collection were quite good but there were some that simply fell flat.
angrykitty
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
like any story collection, this one had its hits and misses...this is one of those books too, where i think that anyone not from minnesota would find it really pretty lame. i knew all the places referenced, but it's only because i'm from the twin cities....
Jeff J.
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this anthology. Not sure if all of the stories can be considered noir, but the definition has always been a little squishy. I do appreciate the all the stories have settings in Minnesota (not just the Twin Cities), and that the settings are integral to the plots.
Kris
Dec 29, 2007 rated it liked it
A group effort by several MN authors. Some good, some not so good. Really only an interesting read if you live/lived in the metro area.
Crayboy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ok short stories, only a couple of them have any Twin Cities flavour - the rest just drop a couple of local names.
Leah
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Sweet little book of short crime stories set in my native land by local authors. Sometimes they were trying just a bit too hard to emphasize the location, but mostly they were amusing.
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy read. Enjoyable short stories that take place in MSP area. Fun to read about places I've been.
Mary Mccarron
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
It's fun to read about the streets that you know, and some of the stories were very good. Particularly intriguing was "Taking the Bulletts Out" by Mary Sharratt.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Minnesotans
Really fun to read stories set in familiar locations. Some of these stories are fabulous others are pretty good. Quick, fun read.
Matt
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Some stories were fun and true to the genre. Others read like a cutsie takes by authors clearly not comfortable with the genre.
Neith
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too gruesome, great cameos of local flavor, so many short stories that if I didn't like one, I knew the next one would be better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Dublin Noir: The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American
  • Cape Cod Noir

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Somebody tells you they drink because they’re a failure, it ain’t so. They’re a failure because they drink. And they drink because it’s so damn hard not to. But as long as they have a bottle that isn’t empty, they never feel far from being happy.

("Bums")”