Start by marking “Highland Crown (Royal Highlander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Highland Crown (Royal Highlander, #1)

Highland Crown

(Royal Highlander #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  461 ratings  ·  262 reviews
Inverness, 1820
Perched on the North Sea, this port town―by turns legendary and mythological―is a place where Highland rebels and English authorities clash in a mortal struggle for survival and dominance. Among the fray is a lovely young widow who possesses rare and special gifts.

WANTED: Isabella Drummond
A true beauty and trained physician, Isabella has inspired longing and
Published April 30th 2019 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Highland Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Crown

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Highland Crown (Royal Highlander, #1)
Hollis
DNF at 56%

I'm rating this because a) I made it to the halfway mark so I've earned the right and b) I'm fairly certain this would've been the highest end result of this reading experience so I don't feel too guilty.

I dragged my feet through this one to the point where I just (obviously, as you can tell) gave up. I was so bored. Nothing felt particularly unique and I know that's the case for a lot of HRs but honestly there's rehashing similar plots and also just bringing nothing new to a concept.
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Intriguing and so interesting!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the very first paragraph I knew this was going to be impressive. It just had a great vibe and I was very hopeful that the rest of the book continued with in the same strain. Thankfully, that is what happened.

The author took a ton of time researching her history and it definitely shows in this story. With a unique theme that makes this book an addictive read, the pages just fly by.

I love the blend of history, romance, and spicy heat! Plus, the
Melissasfandomworld
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
3,5 Stars.

A Really enjoyable historical romance story set in Schotland. Gave me all the outlander feels. Review will follow closer to the release date.

Barbara Rogers
Series: Royal Highlander #1
Publication Date: 4/30/19
Number of Pages: 320

This is an epic start to a new series. May McGoldrick is a master at seamlessly weaving fact and fiction together to present an awesome story. After England had defeated Napoleon there were many unfair laws and social injustice in England and Scotland. The social unrest of those times caused the English lawmakers to pass many more restrictive and unfair laws and take a very heavy-handed approach to dealing with the situation
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ARC received for review

DNF

I was bored and after trying four times and couldn't get into it....
Tammy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabella is a physician and in hiding. Cinaed is a sea captain and when Isabella finds him wounded, she cares for him. What will happen when sparks fly? This is a fast-paced historical romance with plenty of twists and turns. Cinaed and Isabella have great chemistry and their story really draws you in. I liked it.
Lover of Romance
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from St. Martins Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Highland Crown is the first book in this trilogy and WHAT A BOOK. I simple adored this story in every way. There was so much delicious moments and great historical adventures. First off SALUTE to this couple writing team (and yes the name May McGoldrick is for a couple that have been
WhiskeyintheJar
Dorine
HIGHLAND CROWN by May McGoldrick is the perfect example of historical adventure romance that’s fun, engaging, and too good to put down to do necessary things. I literally couldn’t stop and would wake up in the middle of the night to read a few more pages.

McGoldrick throws together a hunted surgeon running for her life, a marooned sea captain hoping to regain his status, and a cranky old woman who hates them both for destroying her pirating life in the highlands, as meager an existence as it was.
Maggie Whitworth
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
💋💋
The stunning Highlands Is the backdrop for this intense and emotionally charged book , the authors have once again overwhelmed my senses with such beautiful descriptions and strong characters.
I’ve immensely enjoyed reading this the first in this series and can’t tell you how much I long for the next .
The history that is built into the story , blends seamlessly with the fictional.
The colourful descriptions of the country and highlands fairly takes your breath away , giving a convincin
Stacee
This was requested on a whim, even though I wasn’t sure about part of the synopsis.

I loved Isabella and Cinaed. She’s a level headed doctor and he’s a strong ship captain. Together they have a quick connection and fight for each other. I loved their chemistry and all of the scenes with them together.

Plot wise is where I struggled. I didn’t quite get invested in the thread of politics and there were a few dry parts where I skimmed. I was looking for dialogue and scenes with Isabella and Cinaed a
Kristy K
2.5 Stars

My biggest issue with this book is that I didn’t like the romance and since it’s primarily a romance, this was an issue. Isabella and Cinaed come together so quickly and don’t really have time to get to know each other that it was hard to but the connection they supposedly had. Politics played a major role in the plot which was an rare addition to a historical romance, I thought.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Melanie
Highland Crown was a pleasant read that features an intriguing plot with a few unexpected surprises along the way.

Isabella Drummond is wanted by men on both sides of the Scottish rebellion, the British who think she can name the rebels and the rebels who fear she will do just that. While hiding out awaiting passage to Canada, Isabella finds a ship’s captain washed ashore after losing his ship and Isabella can’t help but save the man. But Cinaed Mackintosh is not a man without secrets of his own
Diane Peterson
A while ago I commented on Facebook that so many historical romances today do not include any real history. They are somewhat generic. Well, that complaint is not relevant with Highland Crown. It is loaded with fascinating history AND there is a compelling romance as well. Isabella Drummond is a doctor and was recently widowed. She is wanted by the British government because she knows the name of Scottish insurgents in Edinburgh. Cinead Mackintosh is a ship captain importing weapons and other su ...more
Alex
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! Yes! YES!

This book filled my heart! All that love and romance! I'm just so here for this!

I'm obviously a nut and devourer of all thing highland, this did not disappoint! I'm just still so happy I got to read this and so incredibly excited to read more!!

May McGoldrick wrote this amazing and stunning story! She did an amazing job building a and weaving you the best of worlds! AND THE CHARACTERS! AHH LOVE THEM!!! Seriously the book just flows effortlessly and you won't be able to put it down.
Susan (susayq ~)
Wow! This was well written, engaging, a perfect blend of romance and action. I can not wait for the next book in this series!
Lori D
Once you begin this story, I warn that you will not be able to stop until the end. The prologue set the stage for Scotland in 1820's when there was the Radical Uprising and Scotland was in turmoil. The time is June 1820 on the Northeast highland coast and thus begins an adventure that will take you on a journey like never before! Brimming with history and such three dimensional characters you feel you are there with them. The emotions and intensity will leave you almost breathless as this fast p ...more
Alison
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highland Crown
Royal Highlander #1
By May McGoldrick

Isabella Drummond is smart and beautiful, but that's not the only things she's got going for her she's also a trained physician who is wanted by both the British Government and Scotish Rebels. She has come to the Highlands desperately trying to survive. Then one night she sees a man shot from a long boat. The man washes up on shore almost dead and as a doctor she decides she has to help him no matter the danger.

Cinaed Mackintosh was cast out of t
Cathy Geha
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highland Crown by May McGoldrick
Royal Highlander #1

In 1820 life in Scotland for the Scottish was one of oppression and being under the yoke of an occupying force. Having lived in such a situation I know that what the occupier and those being occupied experience is not the same. It is true of Scotland and many other countries that have been occupied in the past. There are atrocities perpetrated, freedom-fighters heroes of the country considered terrorists by the occupiers and...anyway...it has no
Jessica {Litnoob}
While i picked this up just seeking a romance I have to admit that I didn’t finish this book for a love story. They couple was cute enough and I wasn’t mad they got together. But honestly I wasnt half as invested in them as I was in the politics of the revolution brewing in Scotland. That was where most of my interest came from and for that I might just continue on with the series.
Rachel
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabella Drummond is not like most women of her time. She is being hunted by both sides, the British and Scottish, for what she may know, she is in terrible danger if her identity is discovered.

Cinaed Mackintosh is loyal to only himself after he was cast out from his village and family as a child. When Isabella saves his life he finds himself indebted to her and determined to protect her, even if it means doing something he hasn’t done since he was cast out - return to his family lands.

I loved
Michelle
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by May McGoldrick, but it won't be the last. Cinaed Mackintosh was everything I love in a Scottish hero. He was brave and strong, dependable, loyal and protective. He was a leader with a heart of gold.
With no home or family, Cinaed turned into a self made man sailing the high seas. His luck ran out when his ship smashes into a reef and he ends up getting shot while trying to save himself. Enter Isabella Drummond: widow, sister, stepmother and physician. She's also an outl
Hieu
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. Highland Crown written by May McGoldrick is an amazing, fascinating historical romance. This story has provided readers with glorious characters and now Highland Crown is on my favorite book list, it makes me read again without feeling dull. The author has put lots of effort into the research, words, characters, settings and it shows the beauty of great storytelling, the combination o ...more
Jen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an avid and critical reader of historical romance, I have very few that qualify as my favorites but Highland Crown is now top of my favorite list. It is rare for a book that I’ve just finished to scream at me to read it again but this one does. Highland Crown has a fine and well detailed crafted story line that is very well written. There was a tremendous amount of research and care put into the words, the characters, the settings and it shows. The weaving of fiction and history together was ...more
Deb Diem
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highland Crown by May McGoldrick is a fantastic historical romance. Ms. McGoldrick has provided readers with a well-written book and a stellar cast of characters. I got such a kick out of Jean, probably because I'm turning into her. Isabella was in hiding with a double bounty on her head. Cinaed's ship sank and he was shot as his longboat was headed to shore. Isabella and Cinaed's story is packed cover to cover with drama, action, humor, steamy sexy bits and suspense. I enjoyed reading Highland ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Highland Crown by May McGoldrick is book One in the Royal Highlander Series. This is the story of Cinaed Mackintosh and Isabella Drummond.
Isabella is a very bright women who learned the skills to become a trained physician who worked in her husband's office. But her husband had a double life where he worked as a DR during the day but a radical reformer at night. This lead to his death and put a price on Isabella's head. Of course she is on the run now but ends up meeting Cinaed, a sea captain w
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
This was a great story with a great blend of romance and historical fiction.

I loved Isabella right away. Her achievement of becoming a physician in the 1800s already speaks to her intelligence and strength of character. She is on the run from both the British government for alleged treason and the Scottish rebels who believe she will spill their secrets if she was caught. From the start of the book, we are caught up on the intrigue of her attempting to escape Scotland to find safety.

Her first
Susan
Excellent blend of history and fiction along with a fantastic romance. It is unusual to find a Regency-era novel that doesn't deal mainly with the English nobility and their high society lives. In this book, we have a female Scottish physician and surgeon with a price on her head and the independent Scottish sea captain who came to her rescue. I was sucked into this book from the first pages and didn't put it down until I read the last page.

It opened with some musings supposedly by Sir Walter Sc
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a gripping read! There were certainly some very tense moments when I was on the edge of my seat and left me quite breathless but also some lovingly tender moments. The two main characters, Isabella and Cinead were very engaging and I enjoyed their connection. There is also a mystery surrounding Cinead’s banishment from his clan and the significance of his mother’s ring. Some are explained near the end but others continue into the next book, a book I will be looking forward to reading. I rec ...more
Tricia
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I’m headed to Scotland this summer and have been reading a lot of fiction taking place in Scotland. So much happens to Cinead and Isabella. I was thrilled to find out that this was the first of a series, I can’t wait until to see how secrets revealed in this book play out in the next.
The history behind this series 1 1 Aug 16, 2019 10:28AM
Background information about Royal Highlander Series 1 2 May 10, 2019 03:27PM

• The Earl Next Door (First Comes Love, #1)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • Gone With the Rogue (First Comes Love, #2)
  • To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)
  • When You Wish Upon a Rogue (Debutante Diaries, #3)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • It's Getting Scot in Here (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #1)
  • Mr. Hunt, I Presume (Playful Brides, #10.5)
  • Never Kiss a Notorious Marquess (Infamous Lords, #3)
  • One Night of Passion (Wicked Dukes Club #3)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
May McGoldrick
(a.k.a. Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick)
Sign up for the newsletter and get a free ebook.

Two peas in a pod, a pair of halfwits, the Laurel and Hardy of romance fiction...Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick were married in St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin 68 years ag

Royal Highlander (3 books)
  • Highland Jewel (Royal Highlander, #2)
  • Highland Sword (Royal Highlander #3)

News & Interviews