Start by marking “Past Perfect Life” as Want to Read:
Past Perfect Life

Past Perfect Life

Small-town Wisconsin high school senior Allison Smith loves her life the way it is-spending quality time with her widowed father and her tight-knit circle of friends, including best friend Marian and maybe-more-than-friends Neil. Sure she is stressed out about college applications . . . who wouldn't be? In a few short months, everything's going to change, big time.
But when
Published July 9th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Past Perfect Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Perfect Life

Start your review of Past Perfect Life
Kristy
Ally Smith has a happy life in Wisconsin with her dad and her friends. Her only worry is her college applications, but that’s normal. But when Ally officially filed them, they send up a red flag due to her social security number. It seems that Ally Smith isn’t Ally Smith. Her real name is Amanda, and now her happy life is no more. Is her whole life a lie? And what’s going to happen now?

If you’re looking for a captivating and emotional read, look no further than PAST PERFECT LIFE! I won this book
TL
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Been awhile since I finished a book in a day :) This wasn't a new idea but it was addicting and hard to put down :) Brought me to tears a few times as well.

I thought the ending was a little rushed. It would have been more touching if it had been a little longer *shrugs*

The ending though was well done.

Would recommend, a nice escape from reality and will pull on your heartstrings.
OutlawPoet
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that has absolutely no surprises.

Everything happens exactly as you expect it will. People behave the way you expect. It ends the way you expect.

Despite the tough subject matter, it's a feel good book. Our main character has such a community around her that even in her darkest hours, you're pretty sure that nothing ever will get to the point of dismally tragic.

I liked every one of the characters. One I thought I might not like ended up just fine.

You might tear up once
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I discovered Elizabeth Eulberg a couple years ago and she quickly became one of my favorite YA Contemporary authors. I really can’t believe that more people aren’t talking about her books. Past Perfect Life was another of her books that I finished in one day.

Ally lives in a small town with her father and her biggest problem is coming up with a decent topic for her college application/scholarship application essay
 Amelia
Dec 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have obviously misinterpreted the plot of this book XD I thought this was gonna be a twisty mystery about Ally's past and who knows what. Instead, this book has NO plot. They literally find out who she is 20% in and the rest of the book everyone's just like "are you okay" "this must be hard for you" "you're so strong" "are you sure you're okay" etc. NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS.

Also, the reason she has a different identity is one of the most boring and mundane things ever. It makes zero sense and I
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mature Y.A. readers
What Stood Out to Me:
I adored Cooney's The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie?; read and re-read them when they came out in the 80's. This book reminded me so much of those two. Reading Past Perfect Life as an adult gave some food for thought. The biological parents in both reads demand the instant return of their "found" child. This troubled me as a teen in The Face series; I thought of the grownups as pushy and mean to exact uprooting a teenager. Reading Past Perfect as an
Ms. Yingling
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Ally's life in a small Wisconsin town hasn't been perfect, but she's happy. Her father works in construction, and sometimes things are financially difficult, but she's applying for college scholarships and has a good chance of attending a state university, since she's always done well in school. Her best friend, Marian, is from the biggest family in town, so Ally has built in "cousins" and even a grandma. As her 18th birthday approaches, she may even have a boyfriend in
Canadian
(2.5) Ally Smith and her dad moved to Valley Falls, Wisconsin eight years ago, where they were welcomed with open arms by the large Gleason clan, who basically run the place. The mayor, sheriff, and elementary school principal are Gleasons, and many of the important businesses in town are owned by family members. Ally’s best friend, Marian, is a member of this large extended family and so is Neil, the boy she has a crush on.

Now, in her senior year of high school, Ally is preparing university
Alexa
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this thinking it was a suspense novel but it is NOT. What it *is* is a hugely engrossing, emotionally high stakes YA contemporary. I loved what it was, but I do think it was marketed just a tick like it was suspense which does a disservice to suspense readers IMO. (Like... maybe by the time it was released it wasn't being marketed that way, but I swear when I requested the ARC from NetGalley I thought it was suspense?)

ANYWAY. God this was a ride. And not a "the plot twists will BLOW
Stacee
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I have read and enjoyed Elizabeth’s previous books and I loved the sound of this one.

I liked Ally well enough. She’s had a huge things revealed to her and she’s handling it the best she can. I loved her friends and how supportive they were. The Florida family meant well and I did like how they strived to learn who Ally was. Her mom was sort of a struggle to read, but I could understand how she felt.

Plot wise, I was expecting a little more of a mystery type thing. Everything is revealed pretty
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This is the first book I've read by Eulberg and I know that I'll be reading her again in the future! The story was just so heartfelt. Ally has a normal life up until she starts applying for college. That's when she finds out that her father kidnapped her as a child and she's thrust into this new world. Her name isn't her real name. She has a family and that family wants to get to know her. But, her whole life is torn apart.

I found the whole story extremely heartbreaking. Not just for the MC, but
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
3.5 STARS

What do you do when you learn your whole life is a lie? When even your name isn’t your name and your mother didn’t die when you were three and your dad has been lying to you your whole life?

Ally discovers her real name is Amanda and that her mom didn’t really die when she was three. In fact, her mom Paula has been looking for Amanda for nearly fifteen years since the toddler’s father kidnapped her. Now jailed, her father admits to admits to his crimes, leaving Ally hurt and confused.

Liza Wiemer
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This may very well be my favorite Elizabeth Eulberg novel, and that says a lot! Allison Smith lives with her widowed dad and their relationship is sweet, caring, and loving. It's what most people would hope for between daughters and their fathers. But not everything is as it appears.

Loved the Wisconsin setting and all the Green Bay Packer references. The fascinating family dynamics will keep you turning the pages. Elizabeth captures small-town Wisconsin beautifully, and readers will fall in
Out of the Bex
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I did not go into this expecting to love it as much as I did. It is rare that I am so invested in contemporary characters, but wow. I loved Ally and the whole lot.

One of my annoyances with modern YA is that they too often write teenagers as if they're toddlers with overactive hormones. It's as if the writers have lost touch with what teens are really like. They're written as if they don't know anything, haven't had any life experience, and just wandering around
Samantha (WLABB)
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya, arcs, contemporary
A secret from Ally's past had caught up with her, which drastically altered her life, and threatened to derail her future.

I am going to apologize up front for being vague, but it is too easy to give away the plot here, and I liked when my suspicions were confirmed. It was a good gasp worthy moment for me, and I want you to have that too. Therefore, I will share as much as I think I can without spoiling anything.
"Two truths and a lie?"
"I'm angry. I'm scared. My life."

• My emotions! I will admit,
Madison
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What would you do when you discover you’re not who you thought you were? A homage to home, friendship and family, Past Perfect Life delves into the questions of what family really means and what it takes to discover where you truly belong. With a strong female lead character who walks that balance between determined and flexible, cautious but brave, and a wonderful cast of secondary characters, Past Perfect Life is a compelling YA contemporary novel.

Ally Smith’s life is turned inside out when,
Caryn
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This had a Robin Benway feel to it and I realized I need more contemporary YA in my life. While the story was a tad predictable, I was along for the ride and not mad about it. In fact, the story screams for a sequel. Glad I picked this one up. If you enjoy “ripped from the headlines” stories, this is for you.
Brittany Lamb
I’m becoming increasingly irritated with all of the average reads I’m completing lately.

Ally lives a very quiet, normal, simple life. In fact, she’s still struggling to think of anything extraordinary to write about in her scholarship applications when her whole life gets uprooted. If Ally isn’t Ally… then who is she?

This is a good, quick read. It just wasn’t great. I expected there to be more mystery and drama than there turns out to be. I feel like there was a lot of potential for it to be
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Lightweight
Bonus Factors: Wisconsin, Awesome Stepdads
Anti-Bonus Factor: Awful Grownups
Relationship Status: Onlooker

Read the full book report here.
Anne Barker
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to BOTM YA for sending me a copy of Past Perfect Life. If you want to get this book, you still can. BOTM has a YA club now and if you are interested in it, you can sign up with my link in my Instagram bio. @stay_reading.stay_gold.

Ohmygosh this book. Imagine living your life and then one day finding out that your were kidnapped. Everything you thought you knew was a lie. For Ally, that is the case. Now she has to deal and cope with what has happened.

This book was really good. I loved,
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
4.5 stars rounded up

This story was such a powerhouse of emotions. I could not stop thinking about it and what I would do if I were in Ally's position. Highly recommend to everyone.

Frtc

*Huge thanks to Bloomsbury for sending an arc for me to read an review!*
Trisha
Very compelling and authentic.

Was with Ally all the way.
Rachel
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Real rating: 3.5 stars
Alia
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay... just hard to keep track of time in this, even though the narrator kept talking about it. Plus the ending was pretty rushed. I didn't feel like the plot was resolved near the end.
caitlin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review copy courtesy of NetGalley.

This book had a very compelling premise: Allison lives in a small town in Wisconsin, has a super close relationship with her dad, and is excited to apply to college. But applying to college triggers a very unexpected life change: she discovers her dad has been lying to her since she was a toddler, and stole her from her mom.

There was enough in this book to maybe fill a few books on this story but I was a little disappointed by the characterization of the Mom,
Anna Motteler
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Predictable.
Also the writing was very.... staged. Not very real to me. I felt like the author tried way too hard.
Charlotte
Jul 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: rc19, 2019
an interesting premise, but Eulberg's writing didn't work well for me, and some details, like a 17 year old girl lovingly popping food into her father's mouth, felt off...not sure if this was a brilliant, understated example of the father being weird in his raising her to a pretty unhealthy level of closeness that wasn't fully recognized as such, or just off.....the mother also was extreme.
Elizabeth (BookishConnoisseur)
Ally Smith lives in a small town in Wisconsin. Her life isn’t perfect, but she’s happy. At home it’s just her and her widowed father. They have special traditions each night of the week; Taco Tuesday, Pizza Wednesdays, and Football Sundays. They are close and have built a life for themselves in their small town. Even the town’s most prolific family, the Gleasons, has taken them in as their own. Ally’s best friend is Marian Gleason and Marian’s cousin Neil is the boy Ally is developing feelings ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Past Perfect Life by Elizabeth Eulberg, 336 pages. Bloomsbury, 2019. $19

Language: R (52 swears, 3 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: HS, MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Allison, high school senior, loves her life. She and her family live a quiet life in a small Wisconsin town surrounded by a town that embraced them when they arrived, especially the Gleasons, the founding fathers and largest clan in the whole town. Ally is trying to apply for colleges, and goes to her
Kelly Hager
I felt so awful for Ally. I can't imagine how it would feel to learn that everything you thought you knew about your life was a lie. Then, as an added bonus, you would have to go live with strangers in an entirely different state.

And Ally does her best. She doesn't continually ask her mom to call her Ally instead of Amanda. She doesn't try and run away. She just quietly becomes increasingly unhappy.

On paper, her new life seems better. Her stepdad is super nice and she has a half-sister. All of a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sick Kids in Love
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Call It What You Want
  • She's the Worst
The short and sweet version:
Elizabeth Eulberg was born and raised in Wisconsin before heading off to college at Syracuse University and making a career in the New York City book biz. Now a full-time writer, she is the author of The Lonely Hearts Club, Prom & Prejudice, Take a Bow, Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality, Better Off Friends, We Can Work it Out, Just Another Girl, Past