Start by marking “Call It What You Want” as Want to Read:
Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  7,313 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews
When his dad is caught embezzling funds from half the town, Rob goes from popular lacrosse player to social pariah. Even worse, his father’s failed suicide attempt leaves Rob and his mother responsible for his care.

Everyone thinks of Maegan as a typical overachiever, but she has a secret of her own after the pressure got to her last year. And when her sister comes home fr
Published June 25th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Call It What You Want, please sign up.

·  7,313 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Start your review of Call It What You Want
jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the other day, i took a break from reading this to go run some errands. and as i was in the produce section, looking at the bananas, all i could think was 'maegan and rob better live happily ever after or, so help me, someone will hear about it.' if a book that prompts that kind of angst doesnt deserve five stars, then i dont know what does.

i think this story tackles really important topics for teens, such as loneliness, taking on/feeling the burdens of your parents, the cost of a mistake, and
megs_bookrack
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Rob, a once-popular high school lacrosse player, has fallen from grace, but not because of anything HE did.

His father, a local financial planner, was caught red-handed swindling from clients and everyone in town suspects Rob knew.

Even though he interned at his father's office, he swears he had no idea what his Dad was up to.

As everything is taken from his family, Rob's father attempts suicide, leaving him in a partially vegetative state.

As if this weren't bad enough, Rob now finds himself a so
Brigid
Jun 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rob and Maegan's story is out in the world today, friends! The idea for this book started when I said to myself, "What if I took Robin Hood ... and put him in a modern day high school?" I hope you love the story, and I can't wait to hear what you think. Thank you all so much for being a part of my dream. ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five million, billion, gazillion oh who counts I already ordered the entire milky way from my Amazon account to send directly to the publishing company and changed the name of it as “Brigid’s way”

The book is named “Call It What You Want”

I called it: “Unique”, “emotionally overwhelming”, “heart wrenching”, “provoking”, “strong”, “powerful” , “realistic” , “dysfunctional” , “raging”, “sad” , “wake-up call” , “depressive”, “questioning”, “tearful”, “challenging” and finally “so much beautiful”

Beca
Warda
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4.5🌟]

I’m gonna need Brigid Kemmerer to never stop writing her contemporaries. Her stories fill my soul right up.

They’re always so intense, so heart-aching, with such wonderfully flawed and beautiful characters that are alive on those pages.
She has a knack for writing stories that centre around broken teens coming from broken homes and having the readers follow them on their journey.
What I like is that by the end of it, these characters aren’t healed. But they are on their way to carving the
Merphy Napier
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Letters To The Lost and More Than We Can Tell more than this but not by a lot. This was incredible. Brigid is able to create the most tragic, heart wrenching and moving stories with characters I need more from and romances that are SO SWEET and I need more of that too. Ug. I love this author's contemporaries.

Minor complaint - I wish she took her time more with the ending, it felt rushed. But man. I want more of this book. It was incredible
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Edit: I was lucky enough to meet Brigid at a local singing!

⬆ aww look at me being an awkward sausage

Many thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
emma
I do not want to review this all that much, so I am going to treat myself to writing a couple sentences and moving ON. Positive vibes ONLY. Negative reviews are so YESTERDAY.

(Just kidding. Can you imagine? I’d have to just...stop writing reviews altogether. And we all know I’m addicted to the fame and fortune.)

If you want more of me writing about a Brigid Kemmerer book I did not care for, you can read this. Or this.

We’re not on awesome terms, to be honest.

I thought these characters were so inco
C.G. Drews
My hEART belongs to Brigid Kemmerer contemporaries ok. I will full on softly cry on your arm right now, because I really loved this book, plus it stressed me most wholly out. And then the ending was the perfect mix of heartbreak and satisfying roundedness that I just want melt into this book and thank it for existing.

I did actually think this was part of the Letters to the Lost series, but it isn't! So you can read this one without having read LTTL -- except tbh you should go read LTTL because
✨ A ✨
“I’m not lost. I want to do the right thing.”

“Most of us do,” she says ruefully. “The problem is that it doesn’t always look the same for all of us”

My love for Brigid Kemmerer grows and grows with every book of hers that I read. Her books are addictive and her characters are precious ✨

This book was basically like a modern day retelling of Robin Hood. A big theme of this story was ‘what is right and wrong’. And it was something that I haven't read about for a long time in YA.

“You don’t get t
Christy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

photo IMG_5793 2_zpsohilqdet.png

Brigid Kemmerer is quickly becoming one of my favorite YA authors. Her books have important and powerful story-lines and give me so many feels. Call It What You Want is a book about two characters are seniors in high school and both have had a life changing experience.

Maegan made a mistake and it's followed her around ever since. Not only that, she's carrying around a secret of her sisters. Rob's father got caught doing something illegal and he's carried that stain ever since, along
Sylvie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 STARS

AAHHH I LOVED THIS SO FRIGGIN' MUCH
Also, I'm crying. I don't know if it's a happy cry or sad cry, but I am crying.

I'll probably write a review when the level of my adrenaline has lowered and I'm not sobbing like a crazy anymore.

*************
Storytime:

My best friend gave me this book as a birthday present and I asked her out of curiosity why this book in particular (because it was already in my tbr but I never told her about it) so she said: ''Easy, I know your favorite genre is young ad
alana ♡
"But sometimes I think everyone needs to take a long look in the mirror before they go main an issue about someone else's life."

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

tw: suicide attempt, talk of abortion, bullying

Hands down, this is my favorite Brigid Kemmerer book so far! Her contemporary novels feed my soul every damn time. And I should have known that this would be the cure to my reading slump, considering I was hooked on this story by page five. Kemmerer has a way with words that makes her books almost impossi
♛ may
book #6 for summerathon, under the challenge of: "a beachy read"

brigid kemmerer knew that i hadn't cried from a book in a while and she was like 'lol bish just wait till you see what i have planned for you'

can anyone else write sad, soft, emo boys like her?? the only correct answer is no

rtc

also this is a buddy read with my little bird
Kat | Rustic Pages
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Call It What You Want is a heartfelt story about two teenagers struggling through a hard family life after being near isolated by their classmates. The author does a fantastic job of presenting hard topics and moral quandaries that demonstrate how the world is not black and white, but all shades of grey. The characters are forced into tough decisions that begs the age old question, is it okay to do something wrong for the right reasons?

This book showed how easy it is to misunderstand a person or
L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~
”My life has collapsed to the point where a ninety-nine-cent cup of coffee with a stranger is meaningful.”

I have never read a novel with a more appropriate title. Because I can’t tell you why or how, if you ask me, but I am really impressed by this book...

So call it what you want, this gets five stars from me.

RTC
Hillary
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, arcs
My brain clicks, and for an instant, he’s not Rob Lachlan now, he’s Rob Lachlan from a year ago. We were from two different words once: popular boy and nerdy girl. We’re still from two different worlds: cop’s daughter and criminal’s son.

I enjoyed some parts of this book but the rest was a bit boring. I probably would have dnfed it if I hadn’t received an arc via Netgalley, and I’m grateful because I would have missed so many good parts otherwise, but I’m also not. Can you see the dilemma?
The
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**ARC sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I won’t lie to you guys-I begged for this book. It wasn’t classy. It wasn’t dignified. And it was honestly a bit pathetic-but IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT. This book? It’s gold. I loved every minute of it.

I was sitting in Tennessee, on vacation, and legitimately had zero time to read. My daughter has always been a peculiar sleeper, and the circumstances of our vacation led to my husband and I’s sanity to be tested. She’s turning two
Cindy ✩☽♔
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant! I love contemporary books that make me question why I don’t read more contemporary.

She succeeds at fantasy, and she success at contemporary. Bridgett might be my new auto-add author. I’m definitely gonna check out her other contemporary works soon while I wait for the sequel to A Curse So Dark and Lonely.
Shaun Hutchinson
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO FREAKING GOOD. Brigid writes with so much heart, and I just love every single book she writes.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
4,5 “moral choices” stars

“Other people don’t have the challenges we have, Owen. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have their own.”

This is my fourth Brigid Kemmerer’s book and to this day she has never disappointed me.

What I like above all else is her knack to draw us into nuanced stories. Her characters always come in shades of grey with inner conflicts, moral choices to make. They are beautiful but flawed and have to grow up, become wiser.

Brigid Kemmerer writes about
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I HAVE NEVER READ A BOOK SO FAST!
I feel like she is one of those authors that never disappoints and I absolutely love her books. I dont love comtemporary that much but her book always always makes me swoon and smile and happy. Call it what you want was really really good. And i was praying to book Gods to give Rob and Magean a happy ending!!!

Because taylor swift? Anyone? No? Okay😂💁🏻‍♀️
Sophie Elaina
Call It What You Want is the fourth book that I've read from Brigid Kemmerer. I first fell in love with her writing style in Letters To The Lost. That was the first contemporary that I honestly thoroughly enjoyed but, before that the contemporary genre was a mystery to me. And since then I've vowed to pick up everyone of her new releases and she has done me no wrong so far, this book being no exception to that. Kemmerer just knows how to suck you in and make you care for her characters so much t ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

Kemmerer won me over years ago with her Elemental series and with each new book, regardless of the genre, she continues to wow me. With her fleshed out characters, stand out story lines and heartfelt messages, she is an author I count on to give me a good story that is every bit as irresistible as it is hard to put down once started.

I adored this book. So different from what I was expecting. So much more heart. So many emotions that so many people, regardless of being in the same shoe
Lisa
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
I blew through this in no time because - per usual - Brigid Kemmerer writes compelling situations, nuanced characters and really freaking adorable romances.

If you're looking for a great contemporary, look no further.
ℨαrα
Brigid Kemmerer is the only contemporary author that I trust wholly and completely. And I would lay my life down for her characters. So...no pressure.
Zainab
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I was over YA Contemporary but this wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. ...more
Alaina
THIS WAS SUCH A CUTE ASS BOOK.

Call It What You Want hasn't even been on my TBR for a year and I was so freaking excited to dive into it this month. Oh lord, I needed something cute and fluffy from all the super depressing books I've been reading lately. In it, you will meet Maegan and Rob.

Long story short, they are suffering in their sad little lives. She is an overachiever who ends up cheating on her SATS. It also doesn't help that she's constantly in her sisters shadow either (tell me about i
R.F. Gammon
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
What is it about these books that I just don't get?

Everyone LOVES Kemmerer's contemporaries. Everyone. I mean, I feel like every single review on this book is 4 or 5 stars. Same for Letters to the Lost and More than We Can Tell. But for some reason...they're well-written, they're well-paced, they've got interesting characters, but there's something MISSING, at least for me.

Let's talk about one thing I'm picking up on in these books: The formula. See, I don't know if anyone else notices it? But K
Jenn
This book was heavy. But I absolutely loved it. It has heartbreak, love, betrayal, backstabbing, lies, and just drama but not stupid high school drama. No, this drama is the kind that just suffocates your heart until you don't think you can breathe until it leaves you gasping. This kind of drama tears apart your family and friends.

Meet Rob and Maegan - both have had a hard time of things lately for very different reasons. Maegan was caught cheating on the SATs and because of that, many students

• It Sounded Better in My Head
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Lucky Caller
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Déjalo fluir
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Maybe This Time
  • Starry Eyes
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Alex, Approximately
  • You Say It First
  • Girls of July
Brigid Kemmerer is the New York Times bestselling author of dark and alluring Young Adult novels like A Curse So Dark and Lonely, More Than We Can Tell, and Letters to the Lost (Bloomsbury), as well as paranormal YA stories like The Elemental Series and Thicker Than Water (Kensington). A full time writer, Brigid lives in the Baltimore area with her husband, her boys, her dog, and her cat. When she ...more

Articles featuring this book

Brigid Kemmerer is something of a polymath when it comes to compulsively readable YA.
“One choice doesn’t determine your whole future.” 21 likes
“Other people don’t have the challenges we have... but that doesn’t mean they don’t have their own.” 10 likes