Start by marking “Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition” as Want to Read:

Book Riot's Best Comics of 2018
Autostraddle's 50 of the Best LGBT Books of 2018

When Hazel Johnson and Mari McCray met at church bingo in
Published November 20th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Bingo Love Volume 1, please sign up.
Rachel Yes it is available in Hardcover. This is the isbn which is all you need to see if your local bookstore can get it in.

Isbn: 9781534309838

Start your review of Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition
Nore
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Oof, okay. I know everyone else loved this, so I'm very definitely the odd man out, but I'd really like my lesbian rep to be... better written? With fleshed-out characters, maybe some decent pacing, or a little attention to detail that doesn't have me squinting at a panel and thinking, "This is supposed to be the late 60s?"

This wasn't bad, but the fact that this was originally a self-published comic by a baby graphic novel writer really shines through. I ended up skimming through the last half,
Emma
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a graphic novel that focuses on a second-chance f/f relationship. I liked it but I have to say that I expected a little more from it. Maybe some better dialogues and also more explanations in some parts of the storyline. I read the edition that includes a lot of bonus material and in my opinion some of it was just boring. Other than these aspects, it was an okay read.
Stewart Tame
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wondered why this was designated “Volume 1” since the story comes to a pretty definite end, but then I started in on the bonus stories. And it became clear that, although Hazel and Mari’s story does come to an end, there are countless spaces within that tale where other stories can take place. Bingo Love contains worlds, as do we all, really.

Of course the elevator pitch for this one is Two Grannies in Love, and it delivers just fine on that premise. Hazel and Mari fall for each other as
Taryn
3.5/5

Bingo Love is a super cute second-chance f/f romance graphic novel. Our two main characters first met as teenagers at church bingo, had a short-lived romance, and reconnected again 50 years later at another church bingo to continue their relationship.

First of all, I want to say the art in here is phenomenal! The colour palette is beautiful, and I love all the details. I especially appreciated the realistic portrayal of female bodies-- stretch marks and all.

Unfortunately, where the art
Luce
5 STARS. I came across this novel when it was nominated for best GN in 2018 Goodreads choice awards. Graphic novel with lovely art, love story between black older characters- Check, check, check. Among the contributors - writer Gail Simone and artist Cat Staggs. Check Check. Here's my money and I'm very happy.

This is a lovely, sad, and happy story that is told from the point of view of Hazel. Hazel (Elle) Johnson and Mari McCray met in High School when Mari moved from California in 1963. They
Alexa
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This unfortunately wasn't my favorite. The art was perfection, I especially loved getting to see Tee show off so many amazing outfits and hairstyles as we traveled through the decades. For me, the storytelling and the dialogue were really lacking - I know its a graphic novel, so it relies heavily on visuals. I was really confused by the framing narrative as it did not seem to last the length of the story. I would HIGHLY recommend the Jackpot edition with adds in so may fun extra stories at the ...more
Chachic
Feb 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Originally posted as a bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Btv24kjner9/

Bingo Love seemed like an ideal read for me: full of diverse rep with two grandmas reconnecting after fifty years of being apart and mourning the loss of the other person. The book isn't available locally here in Manila so a friend bought a copy in the US while she was there on vacation, that was how much I wanted to read the book. Unfortunately, this was badly a case of not the right book for me as a reader.

It's great
Lydia
this was beautiful!!

i loved the art and the story had a real strength to it, but the pacing was a little bit off. some of the characters actions were a little bit unbelievable or there was SO much family drama i was dying lol. i enjoyed it thoroughly and really cheered for the characters. the art, again, was totally gorgeous and had a style all of its own! i just wish the story were fleshed out a lil more.

// i also feel like there was some not-so-favourable things said about the author a while
Lata
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I loved this. The story was sweet, the girls->grandmas were lovely and I loved their relationship. I also liked the short stories told by other creators of moments between the two women that take place within their larger story. And the artwork in the main story was fantastic!
Bookishrealm
Update (5/23/19). Here's my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

4.5 Stars. This comic book was phenomenal! I absolutely enjoyed every page of it. If you haven’t read it definitely give it a try. I’ll be posting the full review here when it goes live on my blog.
Kristin Lansdown
This story was already good (some of the dialogue felt a little forced) but the addition of the other stories made this even better. You’re finding out Hazel’s husband’s secrets, stories from Hazel and Mari’s two month honeymoon, one of their first arguments, their “first time” and a glimpse at Vol. 2. At first I was trying to figure out how there’d be a vol. 2 but now I’m SUPER excited for it and sad I have to wait until 2020. I love love ...more
Kris Patrick
I wanted there to be more Bingo :(
I love Bingo
Ariadna
This was such an uneven comic book: the art is delightful; there are QUEER POCs front and center; OLDER QPOCS as the protags; fat rep is also present; the story takes a frank look at what it really means to grow old together (in both the good and bad sense).

THAT SAID, the pacing was ridiculously fast (I barely had a moment to pause and process whatever new plot twist happened). Also, the writing was sorta weak (something that was highlighted by the DRAMA that happened every few pages.).

The one
Karin
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readharder2019
I'm so glad I read this for #readharder 2019 because that was the sweetest and most charming thing I've read since who knows when. Absolutely recommend!!!
Bri
black queer grandmas. i'll say no more.
Rod Brown
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the original edition of Bingo Love, and stand by my assessment of that: a bittersweet - though heavy on the sweet - romance that succeeds in spite of some odd and unnecessary sci-fi elements...

The story was worth a re-read, and I was glad to see the side stories frustratingly mentioned but not included in the original edition. They don't add a lot, but their presence still makes this is a better package.
Ely
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was sweet and the art is absolutely gorgeous. But this has got some of the worst pacing I've ever seen—there was absolutely no build up to anything. Some of the added stories were really great though.
Sara
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming and just a little bit bittersweet. And for once, the bonus material and flashbacks add to the story.
Darian
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE CUTENESS I DIE. I loved this so freakin’ much. I liked the added bonus content too! Can’t wait for Volume 2. ...more
Melissa
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book delivered the story it promised which was adorable. I also loved this edition for the extra stories and sneak peek into Book 2.
Amelia
I basically cried the whole way through this comic about black queer grandmas finding each other again late in life
Jen Markovich
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words are going to fail me so here are some emoji as a review. ...more
Rachel Morrison
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute and lovely, and it shows the power of love in the face of life's struggles. Definitely read this version with the bonus content!
Tamara
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully drawn and uplifting story
Kristin
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is perfection.
Amy
lovely lovely lovely. (literally and figuratively)
Simone Cox
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a love story between two queer black grandmas. This was wonderful. I can't wait for volume 2!
Continualknowledge
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this for so many reasons, namely the format, the subject, the main characters. But the plot and dialogue fell so flat. The illustration is brilliant. But there is more to be developed with the narrative.
Kathryn Gynn
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved this story. I love the characters, I love the art, I love the story. Two women getting together in their middle to old age, and dealing with everything that comes with that, is just such a great premise for a story. And the additional stories in the Jackpot edition just add another layer that I love. The emotions and the passion, and the time that this story encompasses is just amazing. I think there should be a million more stories of older people getting together. In fact, I'd like to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Bob Dylan
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Heavy Vinyl: Riot on the Radio, Vol. 1
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Gender Queer
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Ghost Friends Forever #1