Start by marking “The Night Visitors” as Want to Read:

The Night Visitors

The latest thriller from the internationally bestselling author of The Lake of Dead Languages and The Other Mother, a story of mistaken identities and missed chances, forgiveness, and vengeance.

“Carol Goodman is, simply put, a stellar writer.”—Lisa Unger, New York Times bestselling author of The Red Hunter

ALICE gets off a bus in the middle of a snowstorm in Delphi, NY. She

Availability: 100 copies available, 1012 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 18 - Mar 25, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Night Visitors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Visitors

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
    This is the first book by Ms. Goodman that I have read and it was a cleverly done thriller but so much more!

Oren and Alice are on the run for their lives through an ever increasing blizzard. Alice has finally found a way to rescue Oren from his abusive father even though her own life may now be in jeopardy. They have left behind a dead body, but whose, in the end, is it???

The story is told from two points of view, Alice and Mattie. Mattie is a kind soul, living in a run down, once beautiful Vict
    Kristy
    When Mattie, a social worker, gets the call that a woman and child are arriving on a bus and need her assistance, she's ready. The call came into the hotline at the Sanctuary, and they know Mattie is always available to help out and take those in need--especially domestic violence victims--to a nearby shelter or safe house. But when Mattie sees Alice and ten-year-old Oren get off the bus that snowy night, she somehow can't drop them off at the shelter. Is it because Oren reminds her so much of h ...more
    Cassie-Traveling Sister-
    Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I have never read a book by Carol Goodman but after this book I feel like I need to run to the library right away! Alice and her ten year old son Oren who are on the run from her abusive husband Davis who is also Oren’s father. They meet Mattie who is a case worker , she has her own demons in her past which are similar to Alice’s. Mattie takes Alice and Oren from the bus stop to her home which is against the rules , but with a blizzard coming in she decides it’s the best idea. When they arrive a ...more
    Linda Strong

REVIEW TO BE POSTED 3/26/19
    booksbikesbooze
    3.5 stars, rounded up to 4, for THE NIGHT VISITORS by Carol Goodman.

THIS BOOK WILL BE OUT 3-26-19!

THANK YOU Molly @ William Morrow Books for my review copy, in exchange for an honest review!!!

The cover of The Night Visitors is what originally drew me in – it looked spooky, creepy, and wintery. Perfect for these colds months. When I first spotted it on goodreads it jumped up on my list of “most anticipated books of 2019”.

With a blizzard in Buffalo, I picked a perfect day to start this eerie, win
    Peg
    The Night Visitors is a compelling thriller, chilling, and unputdownable. I was hooked, from the very first page.

Alice and ten-year-old Oren were running from abuse. Oren’s father, Davis, had hit his son and Alice for the last time. Alice had been warned, however, that if she ever took Oren away from him, he would hunt her down and kill her. But, what choice did she have? Davis was going to kill her and possibly Oren, anyway.

Oren was extraordinarily sensitive to people around him, and wise beyo
    Jessica Smith
    Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You can find this review and all my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Harper Collins, via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did, it was absolutely brilliant.

Alice and Oren are on the run from an abusive husband and father when they end up with Mattie, a case worker, who has faced hardship in her life similar to that of Alice and Oren. Taking them in during a blizzard, w
    Ellen Whitfield
    Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Freaked me out in the best way! I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, but it surpassed what I could have imagined -- all the characters are so well-realized that it felt like they were people I've known for years. And the ending? WOW.
    Susan
    Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I'm a fan of Carol Goodman's eerie psychological thrillers, especially the ones with Gothic overtones and a splash of the paranormal thrown in for good measure. THE NIGHT VISITORS certainly fits the bill. The story is compelling, the plot exciting, and the characters sympathetic. Featuring a creepy old house, an isolating blizzard, and an "I see dead people" vibe, it's a shivery tale that kept me slightly off-kilter throughout. Although I saw some of the plot twists coming, I didn't see all of t ...more
    Linda Quinn
    Alice and Oren are on the run from an abusive husband/father. When they are taken in by Mattie it seems like a common story of social worker trying to help, but this story mixes in past secrets and ghosts that turn the situation on its head.
    Sara (SJWonderlandz)
    Goodman is back with another atmospheric spiraling tale of mystery, suspenceful and the supernatural. I

This is the third book of Carol Goodman's that I have read, and so far I have been a huge fan, but this is probably my least favorite. That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it! I think the reason that I didn't enjoy this story as much as previous books was because it seemed to spiral over it self in a slower, repetitive way instead of adding the new twists and turns I had expected.
    KC
    After fleeing from an abusive life, Alice and 10 year old Oren end up in upstate NY. Mattie, a local social worker, breaks protocol and brings them to her childhood home. As a pending snowstorm threatens the area, the three strangers unveil their stories while unearthing secrets from their past. This is a fast paced domestic thriller with a slight supernatural element to boot. I enjoyed this story up until the ending which tragically fell apart. For fans of Kay Hooper and Heather Graham.
    Tara (Blog About A Latte)
    Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I almost want to give this book a 5-star review!

I give it a 4.5 *technically*

This book is SO good. I was instantly drawn into this book. It starts off so suspenseful that you don’t even know what to think or make of it. I don’t want to say too much but there’s some things that are huge reveals and plot twists and it’s just insane. I don’t know why I have never read a Carol Goodman novel until now but she is definitely an author I will be picking up from again!

The Night Visitors is a psychologi
    Lori

I read this one pretty quickly and enjoyed it. As much as one can enjoy suspenseful, twisty books with plenty of murder and possible paranormal activity happening. I'm not even sure what grabbed me so much in the beginning because we're thrown into the story after something intense has happened causing Alice and Oren to run away without being traced but we don't know what. The story unfolds steadily once they reach their destination and I have to say that while I saw a couple twists com
    Tara
    Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A tightly plotted, tense thriller that doesn't let you take a breath. The characters here are so compelling, and I feel like even though the story moves very fast, taking twists and turns throughout the whole book, I get to know these people really well. This is one of those books that just when you think you've figured out where it's going to go, it surprises you...and then surprises you again. I also love all the motifs here--stars, sky, constellations, Star Wars. And the snow! A delightful re ...more
    Sherrie Saint
    Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is disturbingly good. It is one that will stick with you for a while. The abusers in this book are so horrible but the character of Mattie and how many people she helps and the lives she touches is awesome. It was hard for me to like Alice but by the end of the book, I had gained a great deal of respect for her. But my favorite part of the book was Oren and the relationship he builds with Caleb. Absolutely fascinating.
    Lisa Wright
    Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Upstate New York in winter is the setting for this gripping story of abused women and the weight of the past. An experienced volunteer meets a bus in a small town upstate to transport a woman and 10-year-old boy fleeing their abuser to safety. Mattie knows you never take a client home, but the weather convinces her to break her own rule. Revelations raise the tensions and soon the women are fighting for their lives. Exciting and satisfying.
    Heather
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Gave me the creeps early on but when I realized that the boy in the story was clairvoyant, it just made it a sweet story of good-hearted adults saving an endangered child. Great read.
    Kathy
    Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 stars.
    Camille Kraus
    I won this book in the good reads giveaway! This was a great read to distract myself from pain. I found Carol Goodman to be a wonderful author.
    Lori Rader-Day
    Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2018
    Twisty. You'll like it.
    Shannon Dyer
    Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, arc
    Stellar writing, but too ghosty for my liking. Review to come at AAR.
    Melissa Brennen
    Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    The only saving grace to this book was Mattie’s character. The numerous coincidences and plot twists/shockers were actually tiresome at the end.
    Michelle
    Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Mar 26, 2019
    3.5 A fast-paced thriller with a woman and her boy on the run who are helped by another woman with her own secrets. Ghostly apparitions, vengeful men, and long ago secrets revealed made this an engrossing read, though the accumulated coincidences took this down a notch for me. I've read almost all of Ms Goodman's books and this one was good, but my favorites are her gothic mysteries.
    Brittany Holcomb
    Sita
    Jan 06, 2019
    • Wanderers
    • The Tenth Girl
    • Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith, and What to Eat for Dinner — A Satisfying Diet for Unsatisfying Times
    • The Whisper Man
    • Nighttown (Junior Bender, #7)
    • The First Mistake
    • The Scent Keeper
    • In a Celandine World
    • Secret Society of Happy People's Thirty One Types of Happiness Guide
    • Dear Wife
    • Blood Orange
    • Someone Knows
    • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
    • Growing Things and Other Stories
    • The River
    • The Harp of Kings
    • One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just a Little Bit Better
    • The Arrangement
    Carol Goodman is the author of The Lake of Dead Languages, The Seduction of Water, the Watchtower Trilogy(with husband Lee Slonimsky), and the young adult Blythewood series. Her work has appeared in such journals as The Greensboro Review, Literal Latte, The Midwest Quarterly, and Other Voices. After graduation from Vassar College, where she majored in Latin, she taught Latin for several years in A ...more