Start by marking “My Summer of Love and Misfortune” as Want to Read:

My Summer of Love and Misfortune

A novel about a Chinese-American teen who is thrust into the world of Beijing high society when she is sent away to spend the summer in China.

Iris Wang is having a bit of a rough start to her summer. In an attempt to snap her out of her funk, Iriss parents send her away to visit family in Beijing, with the hopes that Iris will reconnect with her culture and find herself.
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Simon Pulse (first published May 5th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 05, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 20 advance copies of My Summer of Love and Misfortune by Lindsay Wong.

Crazy Rich Asians meets Anna and the French Kiss

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 388 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 09 - Apr 06, 2020

Countries available: Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about My Summer of Love and Misfortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Summer of Love and Misfortune

Start your review of My Summer of Love and Misfortune
    Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
    ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Okay, so I knew going into this that the main character was going to be a hard one to like. But her almost total lack of growth and development throughout the book was just too much for me to swallow. Which is a shame, because the Beijing setting was AWESEOME.

Eighteen-year-old Iris Wang is basically every Chinese parents worst nightmare. Instead of studying, she prefers to hang out getting wasted and having sex with her slacker
    Alice
    Oct 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
    The summary is so relatable - Im super glad theres an own voices take on this because I feel like there arent enough As-Am stories where the main character doesnt get have a successful college application season. ...more
    Cindy ✩☽♔
    Aug 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Well unlike most of my classmates in high school, I actually enjoyed The Joy Luck Club. So I'm interested to see how this book resembles that, if at all.
    Kimberly Lin
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
    This could be a middle-grade book, just minus the drugs, alcohol, swearing, and sex.

I really had high hopes for this book since the main character is an ABC, American Born Chinese (Whoo! Asian Rep), but the plot and characters were very boring and bland.

Iris Wang, our main character, is Annoying, Spoiled, Egotistical, and Narcissistic. She is a failure in her parents' eyes (well, and others). She spends her time shopping, drinking, and partying. She knows basically nothing about her heritage.
    Kate R
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: did-not-finish, arcs
    Well, I thought this one would be right up my alley. The blurb literally mentions two of my favorite books. But, unfortunately, I could not finish this one. I have to say the writing was good, the setting was awesome and the descriptions were very detailed, but the main character was awful, just absolutely horrible. Ultimately, I could not get past her ridiculous ways and I did not finish. However, I will read other books the author writes because like I said this was just a character that I ...more
    KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
    Chinese American slice-of-life? Now that is a YA contemporary I will read.

Thank you to Edelweiss and the Publisher for granting this eARC in exchange for an honest review

This story is incredibly entertaining. That is the grace I grant this book since I did not finish it.

DNF

Sometimes you start a book and you feel you can read that book cover to cover in one sitting. And then you put the book down and it feels like youve missed a chance at a life with that book because you never feel like reading
    ♠ TABI ♠
    Sep 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: edelweiss
    this is literally gonna be me next summer (thank you school; minus the Beijing trip . . . so far haha) so hey I gotta read this, right??
    Krysti
    Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Crazy Rich Asians meets Shopaholic in this YA rom-com. This book is funny, wild, and completely over the top. The writing style is unique. It's silly to the point of being unbelievable. And yet, I found myself entirely entertained by it.

The voice of the main character will definitely not be for everyone, and I'll admit that it took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put this down. It was an unexpected delight.

I had a lot of fun reading this and found it to be a much needed
    Shealea
    Feb 17, 2020 marked it as might-read
    * I received a digital ARC of this book (via NetGalley) from its publisher in exchange for an honest review.

🌻 My links: Blog | Instagram | Twitter
    Gabrielle
    Feb 06, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    2/6/20

Getting Love,Taipei vibes.
    Desiree
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
    I received this as an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. A sincere thank you to them for that opportunity.

I was initially excited about this story centering around a young Asian-American woman wanting to connect with her heritage. I thought the first chapter was cute and quirky. I thought it told us a lot about her and her father in a way that was informative without being an info-dump of exposition.
    Unfortunately, it went downhill from that point.

My biggest issue with this
    Danielle
    Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: asian-mc
    oo, a YA Crazy Rich Asians? Sign me up
    Chelsea
    Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me of an eARC of this novel via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book is currently set to be published in May 2020.

So, to be honest with you all, this is not the first book that I have read by Lindsay Wong. I previously completed The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family and did not care for it at all...1-star rating level of did not care for it at all. That book, however, was
    Ashley Urquhart
    Mar 27, 2020 marked it as dnf
    DNF pg 41 - Nope, nope, nope. I started this book and immediately hated Iris as a character. So I checked out reviews to see what her character growth is like and it appears to be nonexistent. Instead of wasting my time on this ridiculous character, Im going to move on. Such a shame because I was looking forward to some good Asian American representation. I mean, theres something to be said for the author bucking the stereotypes, but I wish shed done it in a more likable way.

Note: I received
    Janet
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    When life for the entire globe turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book and many more today.

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they
    Torviewtoronto
    Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    My Summer of Love and Misfortune by Lindsay Wong is a hilarious, quirky novel about a Chinese-American teen who is thrust into the decadent world of Beijing high society when she is sent away to spend the summer in China. Iris Wang is having a bit of a rough start to her summer: Her boyfriend cheated on her, she didn't get into any colleges, and she has no idea who she is or what she wants to do with her life. She's always felt torn about being Chinese-American, feeling neither Chinese nor ...more
    Tammy Bramley
    Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Iris has found herself in some trouble after a series of bad events occur. Her parents send her to China to stay with family and go figure herself out.
    There are some very funny scenes in this book that I really enjoyed. I liked reading about a girl from a culture different from my own. I must say, Iris is a highly annoying character. Dont get me wrong, I think that is the point and I certainly think she very realistically represents some of the teenage population. She is just a baffling
    (Love, Stars and Books)
    Mar 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
    (I received an eARC from NetGalley for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Book review: My summer of love and misfortune by Lindsay Wong

My summer of love and misfortune by Lindsay Wong
    Genre: YA, Contemporary
    Rating: 1/5 stars

(Review)
    (DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

This book was one of my anticipated reads because of the Chinese rep and it has Love, Taipei vibes which I really liked. Unfortunately, I found this book slow paced and pretty
    Tammy Bramley
    Nessa
    Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you Netgalley for the eARC! I really enjoyed reading this book and I loved the inclusion of the Mandarin phrases. It was really interesting to read about the culture difference of always considering your family in your actions vs. living your independent life. Omg though. Iris. Holy crap this girl was super vapid and every time I read about her misfortunes I would literally cringe. So much misfortune happened to this girl because of her actions and her not thinking things through. I ...more
    Sai at theengineerisreading
    As much as I want to love this book because it was pitched with Crazy Rich Asian vibes, Iris Wang, as a main character, is TOO annoying.

I know that the purpose of the author in creating her is to show how a self-centered teenager acts in her everyday life but everything Iris does is just too much for me too handle. She is too selfish and never thinks of the repercussions of her action before actually doing it.

I did enjoy her stay at Beijing though. The food, the culture, and the travel were all
    Alice
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: read-in-2020, arc
    FULL REVIEW TO BE PUBLISHED DURING WEEK PRIOR TO PUBLICATION DATE

I was conflicted as to how to rate this book... On the one hand, I felt like giving it two stars, but on the other hand, I didn't really feel the URGE of giving it two stars.

I haven't liked it, but it actually caught me enough to make me go on reading. I didn't even think of putting it aside or abandoning it, and yet, my brain itched uncomfortably when I turned the pages. A lot of it was frustrating, but it didn't feel right to
    Grace
    Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    An ARC of this novel was sent to me by NetGalley for reviewing purposes. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I was excited to read this book because a Chinese-American main character! I felt that I got too excited to read this book and I ended up not liking it- Iris, as fun as she is, isn't easy to relate to, and I feel that I have read better books with a Chinese-American main character.
    Laranda
    Mar 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Well, got to 60% through this book and can not continue. There was zero character development, no real plot lines, just a lot of the exact same sentences and observations over and over. Thought this might be a good story but was disappointed.
    Kat
    #MySummerofLoveandMisfortune
    Thank you to SimonPulse and Edelweiss for the e-arc copy of this novel.
    I really enjoyed the romance (being that romance isn't really my thing) it is a funny and diverse book. I love to see unique and fun characters with a more realistic plot.
    michelle (magical reads)
    yeahhhh I was bored so I skipped towards the end and I wasnt getting any feeling of any character development so I dont think this book gets any better ...more
    Shirley Cagle
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
    2.5 stars.
    Sarah (Cover to Cover Reviews)
    DNF @ about 40%. I was SO excited for this one, and the writing and setting were absolutely fantastic, but the selfishness and immaturity of the heroine grated on me so much that I simply could not finish. Id absolutely love to read more from this author because I love her style and the way she writes settings, but Iris made me want to heat my face against a wall. ...more

• Chasing Lucky
    • Today Tonight Tomorrow
    • We Are the Wildcats
    • Girl, Unframed
    • What I Like About You
    • The Upside of Falling
    • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
    • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
    • Twice in a Blue Moon
    • Ever Cursed
    • The Kingdom of Back
    • You Say It First
    • Eat, and Love Yourself
    • Wilder Girls
    • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
    • Time's Convert
    • The Code for Love and Heartbreak
    • The Mall
    Lindsay Wong holds a BFA in Creative Writing from The University of British Columbia and a MFA in Literary Nonfiction from Columbia University in New York City.

Wong has been awarded fellowships and residencies at The Kimmel-Harding Nelson Center in Nebraska City, Caldera Arts in Oregon, and The Studios of Key West, among others. Currently, she is writer-in-residence at The John Howard Society and