Start by marking “Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)

Return of the Thief

(The Queen's Thief #6)

The thrilling, twenty-years-in-the-making conclusion to the New York Times–bestselling Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner.

The epic novels set in the world of the Queen’s Thief can be read in any order.

This beloved and award-winning series began with the acclaimed novel The Thief. It and four more stand-alone volumes bring to life a world of epics, myths, and legen
Published October 6th 2020 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Thief, please sign up.
Laurie Just found this on Amazon for the sixth book:

Publisher: Greenwiliow Books - August 25, 2020

A delay, but not surprising with so many things to tie up…more
Just found this on Amazon for the sixth book:

Publisher: Greenwiliow Books - August 25, 2020

A delay, but not surprising with so many things to tie up in this last book(less)
Jackie MWT announced that this will be the last one.

Start your review of Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now - a great conclusion to the QUEEN'S THIEF series! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature. I also did an interview with the author here on FanLit, along with a giveaway: One random commenter in the interview thread will win a Kindle or Audible copy of one of the books of the QUEEN’s THIEF series (you pick which one). So please go check it out!

Megan Whalen Turner’s QUEEN’S THIEF young adult fantasy series, a masterwork of twisting plots, deceptive plans, and occasional divine interv
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
concept: everyone in this book has A GOOD DAY
kiwi kili
NOTE/UPDATE: I have read the book. And I am pleased. I have written a review/love letter to it with only mild spoilers (major ones hidden).

I shall leave the old GIFS/notes up because it seems to show my anticipation well and because many people responded to it and it would not be fair to them to delete it, but I will also have my review below. So, here are my old complaints whilst waiting, starting back in 2011:

And so it begins.

BUT ALSO:

BUT ALSO:

EDIT 1/24/19

Okay, so after reading THIS part of
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
2' after learning about the delay : I.... I just really wanted 2019 to be worth it, yknow? 😭😭😭

3' later : This said, I'd wait twenty years for Eugenides. So it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it'
Tatiana
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya, fantasy, 2020
I don't think I can objectively judge these books anymore, because I am such a slavish fan of MWT's writing and find the way she her words together so incredibly soothing and satisfying.

Return of the Thief is a long book, but it was never boring to me. It is, however, quite complex, so I need a couple of rereads (and not in the time of an anxious pre-election brain fog) to get a better grasp of the things I've surely missed. I also should have reread the rest of the books in the series again, b
Elle (ellexamines)
I cannot wait to finish this series, but either way, may I just say: the covers of this series are so excellent holy shit

here are my other series thoughts:
book one - ★★★☆☆
book two - ★★★★☆
book three - ★★★★☆
book four - ★★★★☆
book five - ★★★★☆
book six - TBD
Jamie Dacyczyn
I'm very tempted to open this book back up to the front pages and begin rereading it at once, since I know these books get better and better with each reread. I have no doubt that this will not be an exception. Soooo many details to be gleaned here, but of course on the first read there's too much going on to really absorb the minutiae.

Without spoiling too much I'll say that my initial reaction to closing the book is a profound sense of peace. Some grief, some joy, but mostly contentment. There
Amy
I would 100% name a child Eugenides except it looks so much like Eugenics and that's just awkward.

But more importantly guess what...I DID NOT CRY. Not even when I turned the last page and it said: "The End."

And...and that actually gives me a lot of mixed feelings. Because I came in expecting to be emotionally devastated (in the best possible way) and instead I spent most of the book going:

It was a lovely book. Great quotes. Stirring moments. Terrific symbolism. A good ending to this series fill
Melissa McShane
I put off reading this for a few days because I knew I would want enough time to read it in one sitting and then write this review. As with Thick as Thieves, I went into it cold, not for fear of spoilers, but for fear of trying to second-guess the author if I knew anything about the story. And, as with the other books in this series, I did not regret this decision for a moment.

Ending a series is bittersweet even when the ending was implicit in the rest of the series. On the other hand, I would n
anne
Aww, man. A wonderful ending to one of the best YA fantasy series around. Rtc
Beth
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
“It probably only works in Eddis.”

!!!!!!!!

Granted, I wasn’t shocked until page 338 (I kept thinking, why don’t I see where this is going?) - but then the shocks kept coming. There is so much here I wasn’t expecting - from the callbacks to previous books, so seamlessly folded into this more politically-advanced narrative, to that incident on page 338, and every incident which followed, to the ending - THE ENDING -

Frankly I am shocked by this, and by how much it had the capacity to surprise me.

(vi
Rubal
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
4.5

this was a WILD ride. mwt stuck the landing imo. need to re-read it a couple of times before I pick up every clue though and I look forward to re-reading and recommending this series.

eta: apparently, it's been further delayed to October 2020 :(

eta: it's been delayed to 2020. kellykapoorjuicecleanse.gif

update:

Neither accepted nor beloved, Eugenides is the uneasy linchpin of a truce on the Lesser Peninsula, where he has risen to be high king of Attolia, Eddis, and Sounis. As the treacherous
Cila
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the 20 year wait. 🙌🏻
Crowinator
I wish for this to be longer; it could have been doled out as several more lengthy novels, right? Not that it was damn near perfect as is, tying so many stories and characters and political schemes together with subtle precision. I even cried for a character I despised. I also wish for there to be several more books coming. I don’t want it to be over. Despite that bittersweet realization, I loved being privy to this world and these characters and I sense several more re-reads of them all in the ...more
R.J.
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book pretty much in one sitting, and it was absolutely worth it.

This series is so complex, and there are so many subtle details to the narration (not to mention so many different narrators), that it's hard to imagine a final book could possibly wrap it all up in a satisfying way. Especially when you consider how many eagerly awaited finales of the past few years have ended badly and left fans devastated and furious.

I didn't really expect MWT to blow the landing on her own series
Elevetha
Aug 31, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
OH MY GOSH

Originally:

So unbelievably happy that there is a sixth planned.

description

Less so that the publisher will most likely s.......I shan't say it.

But please, I beg of thee, Greenwillow, publish this book when the manuscript is available. And Megan, take all the time you need to make it better than as good as KoA.

Until then:

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you, for introducing me to THIS series. I shall be forever indebted to you and it shall never be enough. Thank you, Miss Clark.
Jasmine
IRENE POV. IRENE POV. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Update: Not gonna get one, according to this interview. But I can dream, can't I?

(I know nothing about this book I just neeeed it.)
Catling
I can already tell this review is going to make it sound like I hated Return of the Thief, but I really didn't. Despite all my complaints, I think it was an adequate conclusion to a great series, and even a solid book on its own. So let's first talk about what I liked, because if I don't get it out first, I know I never will.

My favourite part of reading this book was definitely that not one word of it ever left me feeling indifferent. I maybe maybe not teared up at several points, yelled at a fe
Candie
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay but definitely not my favorite in the series. If it would have been the first one in the series I would not be continuing, but the fact that I already know and love a lot of the characters made it a bit better.

It was full of a lot of political intrigue and discussion; so much so to the point that that there was very little plot or character development. It read almost like a history book to me and I was quite bored to be honest.

Will still read the next one in the series but
H.S.J. Williams
It’s the climax of one of my favorite book series. In a way, I was afraid. Afraid it wouldn’t deliver.

But it did. Oh, it did.

The new narrator was a brilliant move, he told the story perfectly. The spiritual elements were incredible. Eugenides was at his most terrifying. The end was satisfying and warmed my heart.

I do feel the content was a little darker and more present than previous books, but Turner’s ingenious way of writing keeps things non-descript. To avoid spoilers, if you have content co
Brandy Painter
This book produced so many feelings. The dedication is spot on. This is definitely for us.

I love Pheris with my whole heart. I haven't been this thoroughly and instantly captivated by a first person narrator since I read The Thief the first time. I would read 14 Volumes entitled "Pheris's Observations on the King and his Attendants" and still need more.

That scene with the Pent ambassador may displace the "Diplomacy in my own name" scene as my all time favorite. "No one paints moments like these
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I can't believe it's finally ending!!!

I just bought books 1-5 so for once, I will be ALL CAUGHT UP when an anticipated series comes to a close haha
Dyanna
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
King & Queen of Attolia

And with this last volume I finish this awesome series, I think in the near future I will reread it as a physical book because there are so many interesting quotes and the subtilty is made in a such ingenious way that I need to read it again not as an audiobook.

This book centers around the politics of Attolia and how Gen unites all of the tree lands as one. I totally loved the love and respect between Gen and Irene 🥰
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Rep: amputee mc, mc with unspecified physical developmental disorder, bi character, gay character, non white cast

CWs: mentions of miscarriage, torture
Mir
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this as much as the rest of the series -- it ties with A Conspiracy of Kings for least-favorite -- but it was still damned impressive, especially in terms of how complex all the plot lines needing resolution were. ...more
Janine Ballard
5 stars

My co-reviewer Jennie and I have a joint review of this book up on Dear Author:

I almost never give a book an unqualified 5 stars without rereading it but the thing is that I know I will reread this one. This was my most anticipated book of 2020 and it lived up to my expectations and then some.

We also have a separate thread for discussing the book with all spoilers permitted. It’s terrific if I say so myself. Consider this an invitation to join us th
KatieR
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to say about this. It's epic, heartbreaking, poignant, funny, every single feel I could feel. I'm also sad it's the end of this series, but I have hopes that MWT hasn't retired from writing entirely. She takes a very long time between books, so I guess we'll know in a few years.

This has been an amazing ride. I can't recommend this series highly enough.
Chachic
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted as a bookstagram review.

Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner is the sixth and final book in the Queen's Thief series, one of my all time favorite fantasy series. I have so many feelings about the end of this series, it still feels a bit surreal that the final book has been published and I've read it. I've been following MWT's writing since 2007 so it feels like the end of an era now that the series is finished. But I'm sure I would enjoy rereading the books and revisiting
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said it before and I'll say it again, MWT is a genius and this book was *incredible*. The scene with the Pent ambassador is going to live in my head rent free for at least the next year. I'm overwhelmed by how much I love Pheris after only 1 book, and I only love Gen more, which I didn't think was possible. I loved every minute of it. ...more

• The Eighth Detective
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • Stargazing
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • The Italian Wife
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • Death and Daisies (A Magic Garden Mystery #2)
  • One of Our Own
  • Mother to Be
Megan Whalen Turner is the author of short stories and novels for children, teenagers and adults. She has won the LA Times Book Award for Young Adult LIterature, a Boston Globe/ Horn Book Honor and a Newbery Honor. She won the Mythopoeic Award and was shortlisted twice for the Andre Norton Award.

The Queen's Thief (6 books)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Thick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“Of course,” she said, “Your Majesty.” I admired the way she could make the words sound so much like “You Idiot.” 8 likes
“I think they have to show their worst selves sometimes in order to be sure that even at their worst they are loved. Irene knows how frightened he is."

The King didn't sound frightened.

"Any minute," said Eddis, "he will realise--"
As if her words were magic, silence fell in the tent and Eddis finished in a whisper. "How frightened she is.”
5 likes