Start by marking “The Proposal” as Want to Read:
The Proposal

The Proposal

The first thing you should know, dear reader, is that I am dead…

Teacher Pippa wants a second chance. Recently divorced and unhappy at work, she uproots her life and moves to the countryside, determined to make a fresh start. But Pippa soon realises: your troubles are never far behind.

When Pippa meets blue-eyed Ryan Marks, he is funny and charming. He is haunted by his past
Published September 21st 2018 by Bookouture (first published September 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proposal

Start your review of The Proposal
Kylie D
A chilling, very chilling book. I found this one very hard to put down.

It starts out with Pippa, a struggling author, facing a deadline with no real inspiration as to what to write. Then comes a knock on her door. A down on his luck ex-con is on the other side, selling cleaning products to make ends meet. He seems ok, maybe just a little off, so Pippa invites him in, offering him money to tell her his life story.

So begins a deeply twisted and shocking story. It starts out innocently enough, but
Susanne  Strong
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Pippa is dead. Or at least that is what her first private journal entry exclaims if it is being read by members of the public. The reasons? The contents thereof.
Sounds intriguing.

Pippa is a romance novelist. Albeit not a very successful one, according to book sales and reviewers - and we all know how harsh those can be! She is also a divorcee in her mid-thirties, whose attempts at dating have been epic failures.

When a man shows up at her door, she recognizes a opportunity instantly. Ryan
Berit☀️✨
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Madness! Magnificent!

This book was a complete mind F***and I loved it! And if you love crazy you will love it too! It’s the kind of book that you read the ending of twice, because your just looking like 🤯 what the actual f??? I generally do not curse in my reviews, but this book.... there are no words!

From the moment that Pippa opened the door to Ryan I was on the crazy train with these two! Neither of these characters were likable, neither of these characters were relatable, but wow
Sumit RK
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first thing you should know, dear reader, is that I am dead…

The opening sentence of the book is enough to pull you straight in the story and keep you hooked right till the end.

The Proposal is the story of Pippa, a struggling writer, who is running out of ideas and time for her next book. Recently divorced and unhappy at work, things are not going right for her on the personal front as well. Desperate for a story, she invites Ryan (someone with a dark past) in her house to narrate his st
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: My heart pounded. Sweat salty on my top lip. He was a stranger. He was a man. Men overpowered women. That was why I raced home from the station at night, why I half died of fright every time I grabbed a minicab, why my pulse ran wild whenever I followed some guy I barely knew back to his flat.

Heart thumping, chest tight, I grabbed the envelope and squeezed it in my fist. Fingertips to the handle of the cutlery drawer, I pictured the carving knife in its protective sheath. The light dar
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Definition of psychological thriller: The Proposal by S.E. Lynes

Holy book hangover! I stayed up until 5 am reading this book, telling myself just one more chapter. It was so worth it.

Pippa Gates is newly divorced, a teacher and has published her first book, that failed miserably. She tends to have a very impulsive, self destructive personality. Always setting herself up for possible failure, living a bit on the wild side. Pippa is distraught that her publisher is demanding a rough draft of her s
Jan
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
"The first thing you should know, dear reader, is that I am dead…..."

Bam! That's the opening line of the book and I'm hooked immediately.

What you need to know is that this isn't a pretty story. The main characters I can only describe as raw, unfiltered, selfish and manipulative.

How they meet and what transpires after their first encounter is nothing less than a game of cat and mouse...only which one is which?

This is where the author shines. The relationship that ensues kept me off balance the e
Pauline
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Proposal by S E Lynes is a psychological thriller that hooks you in and keeps you reading.
Pippa is a teacher who dreams of being a full time author, she has had one book published but is having writers block and her agent wants a draft of her new book.
Ryan is a ex con selling cleaning products door to door. Pippa makes him a proposal that she will pay him for his life story so she can use it for her book.
Ryan becomes infatuated with Pippa and starts to stalk her and she is worried that he
Mark
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

U N I Q U E
End of review...
Joking but if I had to sum this book up it would be with that word
And then about a hundred others!!!
This author writes brilliant books but this book is unlike anything I have ever read ( hence the unique)
Its difficult to describe it to do it justice tbh.....Pippa is an author, failed author, she uses Tinder and has nothing in her fridge...there is a knock at the door...its a salesman, down on his luck, call me ‘Ryan’ he says......after a while she invites him in, flipp
Darinda
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pippa works as a teacher, but dreams of writing a best seller. That proves to be harder than she imagined, especially when she can’t even come up with a first draft for her new book. Enter Ryan, a down on his luck ex-con and door-to-door salesman. When he knocks on Pippa’s door, they have a connection, which leads to a story for her book.

Told from Pippa’s point of view using journal entries and blog posts. She is recently divorced and a little unhappy with her life. She is also impulsive, which
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it this more then i even expected! I saw some so-so reviews that mentioned how unlikeable certain characters were- & I get it, but I was still drawn in. Their attitudes (& behavior) may have been despicable at times, but it rang true to me. I bought it, is what I’m trying to say. & I just couldn’t imagine wth was going on?! The beginning grabbed me & yeah I guess the middle may have been drawn out some, but honestly I enjoyed it the way I enjoy a creepy, quirky character study. & the l ...more
Lou
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Proposal' is Amazon bestselling author SE Lynes's fifth psychological thriller, and it is every bit as alluring, intelligent and haunting as the previous four. Told from the perspective of main character Pippa Gates in the form of blog posts, her private diary entries and occasional injections from baddie Ryan. This is one of those novels that is deeply ominous and that sense of foreboding continues from first page until the last. The premise is fascinating and original, and I am always a s ...more
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
This was quite a unique book. As I write this I am still unsure of how I am going to rate it. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Aspiring writer Pippa answers the door one day and finds charming salesman Ryan at her door. Stuck in a writing slump, she asks him to be her inspiration for her next book, and gets him to tell her his life story. What she discovers and the cataclysm of events that follow will change her life forever.

I enjoyed the story, but as I said, I am still not sure what to m
Jayme
Excerpt from Pippa Gates: Private Journal
The first thing you should know, dear reader is that I am dead. Not now, writing this, here at the farm, obviously. But if you are reading these words, then the most likely reason is that this journal has been published posthumously.

Pippa Gates is the author of a romance novel. Not well reviewed, but published and the deadline for her second novel is looming. She has writer’s block. So when a traveling salesman, hard on his luck, knocks on her door one ni
Brandy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
W.... T..... F!! I’m not even sure where to begin with this review. Me, speechless - that never - ever happens (just ask my husband!)

So..... where to begin with this one..... well, how can I paint a picture for you? How about I just say The Proposal is a double scoop of intensity triple dipped in psycho! Lynes is brilliant. As you read - hell the first chapter - she sucks you in and then at the end she spits you out leaving you shaken, sweaty and short of breath. What more can I say other than -
Angela Marsons
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could choose anywhere in the world to spend a day it would be inside this author's head. I absolutely devoured this book and found myself equally entranced by Pippa as I was by Ryan. There are enough reviews detailing the plot so mine will focus on the writing. There is an honesty to this author's work that I find irresistible. She takes me into the minds of seriously disturbed characters and lays them bare for my consumption. I don't have to like them, she doesn't try to make me, so I feel ...more
Chloe
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Pippa is an unhappy divorcee who works as a teacher by day and dreams of being a full time romance novel writer. Receiving an ultimatum from her editor and suffering from writer's block Pippa offers an ex con Ryan money to share his story.But her inspiration becomes her nightmare as now Ryan is obsessed with her and Pippa has a full fledged stalker at hand

The Proposal is fast moving psychological thriller that sucked me in with the first sentence . Narrated via Pippa‘s journal entries and blog
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
When the opening line of a book is "The first thing you should know, dear reader, is that I am dead" you know that you are in for a good one. I have read SE Lynes last 2 books with her first on my kindle waiting to be read and I am definitely a fan. This book was an addictive story with a main character that was very much unlikeable. I struggled to see how it was going to end which is always a good thing in my opinion.

The Proposal is the story of Pippa, a dreadfully unhappy newly divorced woman.
Janet
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the publisher ---

You invited him into your life. And now you can never go back…
Pippa wants a second chance. Recently divorced and unhappy at work, she uproots her life to move to a beautiful farmhouse in the countryside, determined to make a fresh start. But Pippa soon realises: your troubles are never far behind.
One night, when Pippa is at home alone, a stranger arrives at her front do
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Pippa works as a teacher as well as being an author. Her first book hasn't done well but that all changes when she meets Ryan. I really liked Pippa though I did find her quite selfish when it came to her best friend. She is a bit of a free spirit and doesn't really think of the consequences of her actions. There was just something about her though and her lifestyle that fascinated me.

The story flicks between her blog posts and her journal. I loved the blog posts of an idyllic life of which I'm s
Amanda
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is totally different from what I expected “The proposal” to be about and I didn’t have a clue what was about to be sprung on me!!

The story of Pippa Gates an Author who is struggling to come up with an idea for her next book, meets Ryan a travelling salesman and an ex con down on his luck. She offers him money to hear his life story and stupidly invites him into her home. There the story goes from weird to bizarre!!

This book did intrigue me as to how it would end but it wasn’t a book th
Psychological thrillers can be rather predictable these days, so I'm always thrilled when I read one that makes me think, "Well...that was new!" And The Proposal certainly fell into that category. It starts out slowly and reasonably enough, as writer Pippa Gates, on the eve of a book proposal deadline for which she has no ideas, invites an oily door-to-door salesman into her home and offers to pay him for his life story, which she will use as inspiration for her book. And from there, it slowly a ...more
Kylie H
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I went into this book not knowing much about it. It is about Pippa Gates a teacher who wants to write a best seller and lead the life she has always dreamed of. Her first book is a flop and pressure in on to write a second. While desperately trying to come up with a thread an ex-con, Ryan, knocks on her door. He is trying to get back on his feet selling cleaning goods door to door. Pippa at the last moment puts an idea to him and this becomes the pivotal point in the story.
Pippa is the most infu
Shalini
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one of the most difficult reviews I would have probably written. The book was so different, gruesome in places that I had no idea of what I was reading. The story started innocently enough about a not so successful author Pippa opening the door for the ex-criminal salesman, Ryan/Gary, and then putting forth a proposal to him - his life story for 200 bucks. Then came obsession with Pippa, stalking, ultimately death.

My first book by S. E. Lynes, and I am not sure what I felt about this boo
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
The Proposal started off with our main character, Pippa, in a jam with her latest book. She owes her editor an outline at the very minimum, but doesn't even have an idea for a story. After pushing the deadline off several times, she knows she has to turn something in. When a traveling salesman shows up at her door, she gets a glimpse into his troubled past, and thinks his life story would be a great idea for her next novel...thus, The Proposal is born. She offers to pay him for his life story, b ...more
Shawna P.
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-read
I first read Valentina what now seems like a billion years ago, when it was only two years ago, and I have since read every book by this author. Some were hits, some were misses. Then we get to this one and I am at loss with what to say. (Not really otherwise I would've just clicked rate and not wrote a review).

Bringing back what I loved about Valentina is that I didn't feel like I was reading a book, but more like listening to internal dialogue. I am by no means a writer, and my process is a
Anne
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, where to start? This is a crazy, roller-coaster ride of a read. I was exhausted by the final chapters, but oh my goodness, it's such an entertaining and carefully thought out story.

It's fair to say that I'm a huge fan of the the unlikeable narrator, and Pippa Gate is one of the most complicated, confusing and sometimes really annoying characters that I've come across in a long while.

The story is quite complex, narrated in different forms; Pippa's personal journal, entries from a blog and a f
Gary
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I recently read 'The Housewarming' by this author and loved it so was eager to read another novel. This psychological thriller was well written but didn't capture my imagination in the same way as the previous one.

I find this a difficult one to review, I did enjoy it but perhaps I am unfairly comparing it with 'The Housewarming' which I enjoyed so much more. It was an enjoyable read and the characters were certainly interesting but something just didn't gel with me.

Pippa is a struggling author
Mariagcri
3.5
Emma
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Like attracts like...this was an interesting read. I didn't really like the main character, but possibly because she made me feel uncomfortable. And Gary was pretty creepy too. Was it a love story? Yes. Was it a story of insanity? Yes. I enjoyed this because I knew there was going to be trouble but I couldn't predict exactly what! ...more
Is it love, love, love...... 2 5 Nov 29, 2018 08:01AM

• The Second Wife
  • The Perfect Family
  • The Perfect Friend
  • Single Mother
S. E. Lynes is the Amazon best selling author of 'intelligent and haunting' psychological thrillers, VALENTINA, MOTHER, THE PACT, THE PROPOSAL, THE WOMEN, THE LIES WE HIDE, and CAN YOU SEE HER?
Formerly a BBC producer, she turned to novel writing after the birth of her third child.
After her MA in Creative Writing, she became a Creative Writing Tutor at Richmond Adult Community College and now combi