Start by marking “The Dating Game” as Want to Read:
The Dating Game

The Dating Game

The Social Network gets a romantic twist in this fresh and engaging new read from the author of Frat Girl, featuring college campus life as three freshman stuck working together on a group project create a dating app that goes viral, winning them fame, potential fortune...and more trouble than it might be worth.

When a prestigious class for future entrepreneurs leads to
Published March 26th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dating Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dating Game

Start your review of The Dating Game
Kendall
I requested this title based off the cover. It's super cute!!

I have to say... that I'm a sucker for titles...but lately cover love isn't equal to my love of the book!

EEK... unfortunately this book fell super flat for me. I have been having a hard time loving YA novels that I've been requesting lately. Apparently... I'm a picky reader and hard to impress ;).

The plot was a tad predictable in this one. Three students are required to work together on a start up business idea. They all decide to
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

The Dating Game by Kiley Roache is a book about innovation and technology as a group of unlikely partners creates the next big dating app. I love the premise, and the strong woman who can code is empowering. However, the characters and the plot fell flat for me, and I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I had hoped.

The book tells the story of a group of college students who end up creating a groundbreaking dating app after being forced to work together for a class.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
The Dating Game details the ups and downs of 3 college freshmen as they develop the new “it” app for on-campus dating for the notoriously difficult future entrepreneur class. Love, drama, and laughs ensue in this fun and quick read from Kiley Roache, perfect book for a single sitting.

Things I Liked
I love having college settings in books. The characters have more freedom and independence and let the situations be more mature and dramatic.

Girls in STEM fields is always a plus as well - and the
Haley
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this one. To me, it was just OK, but there were a lot of positive and negative things about it. I thought it took me back to my college years easily and I could picture many of the events with clarity. Although I could connect with the setting and plot, the characters fell flat for me. I just didn't enjoy them and didn't root for them. I also thought the app they came up with was extremely problematic, but the main issue I had was that the problems were not adequately addressed. ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Rating ~3.5

Well, this was pretty fun.

The Dating Game tells the story of three University students that, by process of elimination, end up working together on a group project focusing on entrepreneurship. They must come with an idea and pitch it to their professor, who just so happens to be a a rich millionaire/billionaire (can't remember which). Basically, their teacher is like one of the investors on Shark Tank.

So, after much trial and tribulation the kids come with the idea for Perfect10.
temi ★
Mar 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
plot seems interesting but i have a feeling the characters will be boring and one-dimensional.

cOntROl frEaK SArA

riCh bOy bRaDEn (his dad will sue)

s c h o l a r s h i p s t u d e n t r o b e r t o
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Real rough in spots and without the spark I enjoyed in Frat Girl. However, I binge read it so I can’t judge it too hard....
Melissa Jacobson
I received an E-ARC of this book via Netgalley

Actual rating 3.75

I thoroughly enjoyed this cute little contemporary. It accurately captured the college vibe and I loved the tech aspects of it. While the characters aren't my all time favorites I was Invested in their relationships and I thought the love triangle played out pretty realistically. Overall this was fun and fast and I had a blast reading it.

My Booktalk - https://youtu.be/7xV3Ae91lU8
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}

The Dating Game is a very now kind of book. It takes on a dating app for those in college created by three college freshman. They were the last three students left as everyone else grouped up for the most important project of this very hard to get into entrepreneur class. There are two who are hard workers and coders and one who seems like a slacker but is charming. His charm is what gets them through their presentation and sparks the fire to actually create the dating app for real not just for
Steff Pasciuti
The thing about The Dating Gameby Kiley Roache that really gets to me is that I wasn’t ever actually impressed with the novel in any real way. There were things about it that I liked and things that I didn’t like, but nothing ever made me feel any strong emotions barring a rather disgusting display of misogyny about three fourths of the way through the novel—and wonderfully, this wasaddressed and called out, so points to the author for that one. But ultimately The Dating Game was one of those ...more
Jenny
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4.5

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This in no way affects my review.

Kiley Roaches has this way of writing novels that makes me wonder if I will like it when I start reading, but then get really invested in the story and root for some of the characters. I have to admit I almost stopped reading in the middle, when the story seemed to be going some way and I was definitely NOT rooting for that particular couple. But the cover is true to the story and that atrocity got resolved
Ally (The Nature of Pages)
I really wanted to love this story. It had so much POTENTIAL, which is maybe what disappointed me when it didn’t live up to my expectation.

The basic plotline is great – as I said above, the whole idea it revolves around is super intriguing! I think the novel gets a little caught up on subplots and romantic interests for my tastes.

I never felt as a reader that I had the chance to dive beneath the surface of these characters. It’s like the author gave us the icing on the cake – just icing. None of
Yvonne Olson
I didn't like this.
It felt very... stock. The characters didn't have much depth to them, and the feelings they felt didn't feel real.
The idea of this book was a good one, in this day and age, but it also felt more superficial.
I don't know if that makes sense, but I just couldn't get into this.
falling asleep reading
gen z “the social network” but make it mediocre
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤

3,5-4 stars

This was a fun read,with a great concept! I loved the premise of it I just didn’t like as much as I wanted the characters.There was a romance throughout most of the book that frustrated me a lot!

Arrow Nox
2/5 stars

So the thing about this book is that so many of the fundamentals were just wrong. The concept had so much potential, and the characters had a lot of chemistry and there were so many possibilities. But none of it actually happened.

Individually, I did like the characters quite a bit. But when you put them together, I don’t know, they just weren’t that great. The first few chapters where they were developing the app were a breeze to read, but it started to get really draggy eventually. I
Alexandra Plath
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The Dating Game was a fun and quick read. Told from the three different perspectives of our main characters, Sara, Roberto, and Braden, we get a glimpse into the world of tech start-ups mixed in with some college love drama. I really enjoyed each of their voices and loved that we had three very different people, with different view points, telling the same story. They were all well developed characters individually, but I did think there was some chemistry missing for them together. The plot led ...more
Caden
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine THE SOCIAL NETWORK meets Young Adult Romance!

I have been a huge fan of Kiley Roache since I read Frat Girl and this book did not disappoint! For me, I did not connect as much with the heart of the story as much as I did in Frat Girl, but that doesn't mean I didn't love or connect with this book.

All three of these characters were terribly interesting to read about. I absolutely loved everything single POV and background that Roache delved into within TDG. She has an incredible love
Lauren R.
Womp. I'm sad that this wasn't more in line with FRAT GIRL for me. The characters were all flat and never went beyond their initial stereotypes for me. There was a romance throughout most of the book that frustrated me and didn't feel necessary, even though it seemed like it would bring some character growth maybe... I liked the ending, which is why this is 3 stars instead of 2.5 stars. I'm still intrigued by Roache's writing and her college setting, so I'm definitely still eager for more book ...more
Judy Churchill
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute book and excellent food for thought concerning social media. It provides some insight into the computer development process and the quick money which often follows.
Ruth Santiago
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think the editor took to many breaks with this book.... I enjoyed it... A bit... But to many conflicts that kind of ruined it. So many superiority issues.
Kris
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely flew through this book I think the synopsis was correct in saying that it was the social network getting a romantic twist. It was definitely different than anything else I’ve ever read and I enjoyed the social aspects of it. I loved that in this day and age we could all relate in someway to this type of app that these students were creating.

Out of the three main characters my favorite would have to be Roberto. He came from a Mexican background and I found it really interesting to
Zoe
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For a book that actually discusses how difficult it is for women to be heard in Silicon Valley, The Dating Game didn't treat its one main female character with respect.

Instead of really delving into the "brogrammar" culture of tech bro companies and how our main character Sara has to navigate the treacherous waters of sexism in the industry, Sara is stuck in a love triangle with our other two main characters. For a large part of the book she's in a relationship with the rather douchey "rich boy"
Cristina (Girl in the Pages)
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.*Thank you so much to the publisher for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!*

Novels set in college are one of my FAVORITE things as a reader. There's so much potential for character development, self exploration, new themes and tropes, and just endless possibility really to break out of the traditional YA mold. What's even more excellent is
Rameela (Star)
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Initial thoughts: It didn’t have the crash and burn that I was hoping for but it did have a fun ending that made me feel happy and fuzzy so that’s great!

FULL REVIEW:
Rating: 3/5

I received this e-ARC from Netgalley! But this won't affect my review in any way!

I'll be honest, this was a strangely addicting book... but I didn't rate it higher because the plot near the end had so much potential... and then it sort of fell flat.

It starts off really fun and it feels like I'm watching a PG-13 sort of

Gina
The Dating Game is an interesting enough story to keep you reading but falls flat for me on many levels. While the premise of the book, three college freshman taking a class predominated by grad school students (which seems odd to me, but maybe that happens?) create the newest dating app trend. Told in all three perspectives we get an interesting look into what each was thinking when creating and eventually running the new app.

For the most part, I enjoyed this. The book is a fun read but there
Ricky
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Trigger warnings for this book: deportation, slut-shaming, objectification of women.

Following up on her topical and engrossing debut in last year's Frat Girl, Kiley Roache now gives us a second Warren University novel that she began working on while a student at Stanford, the obvious real-world inspiration for Warren. Reading this one, I feel that this might have been an earlier manuscript that she put on the back burner while getting Frat Girl out there and didn't quite incubate as well as she
Izzy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer- I received an ARC of this for review from Inkyard Press. That does not affect my opinion of it at all.

Rating- 2.5 out of 5 stars.
*Contains light spoilers*

Whoooooooooo. This book was something else. You know, I was kind of excited for it at first because I loved the idea of college students trying to make it in Silicon Valley. However, it was not good. Not. At. All.
The main characters are Sara, Robbie, and Braden. Sara was by far my favorite of the three. She was determined,
Malka
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
3 Stars

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This book follows three students tasked with creating a product that is the basis of their grade in an entrepreneurial class. As the only 3 freshmen, Braden, a trust fund baby, is paired up with Sara and Robbie. They end up building a dating app that has users rate one another to show who’s truly the fairest of them all. But of course, the founders feel a bit guilty about the objectification
Hillary
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I found much delight in the pressing nature of this story. Everything was fast-paced and full of thought and depth, which encompasses the themes of the story as well. You follow a group of bright young college professionals-in-training in their trials of love and heartbreak all while working on a dating app. Seems simple right? It's not.

It really makes you look at what you think is truly important in the connections you have with other people, in friendships, romances and professional standing.
« previous 1 3 next »