Start by marking “The Six (The Gateway Chronicles Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Six (The Gateway Chronicles Book 1)

The Six

(The Gateway Chronicles #1)

Darcy Pennington hates her life. She is an insufferably average teenager with no true friends, crushing social anxiety, and an indescribable sense of not fitting in anywhere. When her parents force her to attend Cedar Cove Family Camp the summer before her eighth-grade year, Darcy once again finds herself on the outside of an established social circle.

But the camp holds s
Published June 24th 2018 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six

Glass
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, debut
***REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED ON BLOG JA ČITAM, A TI? IF YOU WANT TO WIN PAPERBACK OF THE SIX, GO TO BLOG AND FILL THE GIVEAWAY FORM.***

For starters, thank you, lovely readers, for visiting my blog and taking your time to read today's post which is dedicated to the new novel, The Six by KB Hoyle, coming out on April 5th. I was lucky to be part of The Six Blog Tour organised by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

I'm guessing that first you'd like to know what The Six is about. Well, here's summary:

Darcy P
Bonnie
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2012, 2012
Review originally posted on Words at Home blog March 20, 2012: http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/03/the...

I didn’t know what to expect when I started reading The Six. I have seen it compared to (http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/02...) Narnia and Harry Potter and this is where my apprehension set in. I haven’t read Narnia since I was about ten and I’ve never read Harry Potter so I was afraid that some of the magic would be lost on me. I also wasn’t sure how invested I would become in a group of th
Adam Shields
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short Review: Thirteen year old Darcy Pennington doesn’t have any friends. Her real love in life is horses. For the past several years she has gone to a summer camp dedicated to riding horses. But this year, both because of financial constraints and to be together as a family, her family has decided to go on vacation together, to a family camp. Darcy is dreading it. She is dreading it in part because two other kids from her neighborhood that she knows, but does not really like will be there as w ...more
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase, May 15, 2012.

Have you ever had a feeling when you visited a natural location that there was something magical about the area? Five children, now teenagers, have been having that same feeling each summer when their families have come to Cedar Cove to camp . This year, Darcy and her family have joined the other families, and that magical feeling is about to lead the six teenagers into another world – Aletheria.

I loved reading about the world of Aleth
Sherry Gomes
From about the very first page of this book, I was completely captivated and couldn't stop reading till the end. Darcy, the main character is thirteen when the story begins, and at first I both loved her and was frustrated with her. She's shy and socially uncomfortable, and yet, she's embarrassed to be hanging around Samantha an overweight neightbor girl of the same age. I was shy and terrified in social situations at that age and beyond, and yet, I have a disability and remember too well how al ...more
Kathie (katmom)
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, this series.

Darcy is annoying as heck when THE SIX starts out, much like most 13 year olds. I've recently HAD a 13 y/o and K.B. Hoyle GETS them. She does grow and learn, just like a real teen, throughout the book, and that continues throughout the series.

I loved the new world this author has created. It's a mix of Narnia, HP and LotR.

I've discovered a love for narks. Yahto Veli is my new hero.

Yes, I read this for work, but couldn't put it down.

And I'm ever so grateful that the
Bethany
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d give this three stars for my personal read of it, but 4 stars for how much I would’ve loved it when I was its readers’ target age. :)
MGGMMGGM
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Six. I was initially intrigued by the novel the moment I saw it in Netgalley and immediately requested it but for unknown reasons, I kept on passing through it in my reader and it became unnoticed for a couple of weeks. A couple of days ago, I started reading The Six and boy was I disappointed! Well, not in the way that you are probably thinking. I was very disappointed with myself for not reading the novel the moment I got it in my reader.

The Six is a story of Darcy and 5 of her friends who
Megan
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I received this book to read, I really had no idea what to expect. I actually had a little trouble getting into the story and I would keep starting and stopping to read something else. But finally, I sat down and told myself I had to read this book, and it took me a few chapters but I finally got hooked!
I found the book started off a little slow, giving too much information that I found didn’t really need to be done. But once I got past all that it seemed like the story really got started.
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, arc, fantasy
middle school & up
Gateway Chronicles #1

Darcy is reluctantly on the way to the first ever family summer vacation. When she gets there she is immediately greeted by the always cheerful and bubbly Samantha. Sam is really nice but Darcy is an extreme introvert. In order to get some time alone, Darcy lies to Sam. This causes the other teens at the camp to mistrust her. During a hike, Darcy finds herself in another world called Alitheia. The people she meets are friendly and want her to come back
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
One day while hiking a young girl discovers a portal to another world, the magical land of Alithia. She soon learns of a prophecy claiming that she and five others are destined to save this mystical place. At first the six are unsure of their part in this ancient prophecy. But eventually they learn to work together as a team, united in their efforts to fulfill their destiny and save this enchanted land.

Author K.B. Hoyle pens scenes that pop with vibrant details, making the world of Alitheia vivi
Kylie
NetGalley ARC

The Six is an entertaining, other worldly series for kids (though it was more than easy to enjoy it as an adult too). Elements of the story remind me of The Chronicles of Narnia, what with the traveling to another world, the inventive creatures of fantasy, and the slight religious undertones. It took a while for this story to take off- Hoyle world builds for almost the first 25% of the story. But once the premise is set, there is not a dull moment. The plot is pretty straight forwar
Maggie Rapier
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved a copy of this book for Christmas, and had heard about it before that, my fellow classmates practically ordering me to read it. It was on my list, granted, but several were before it, but I decided to rethink my order. From the very first chapter it drew me in, and I had no choice but to sit down and read the rest. It took me only a few hours to read, and immediately I went right back to the beginning to reread my favorite parts. The book was well-written, flowed smoothly from one cha ...more
Katie
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Six" is a great fantasy novel that I did not ever want to put down. When things like school, sleep, and eating kept me from reading I was constantly thinking about the book. I was considering what had transpired in what I had read thus far, and I was trying to make predictions about the things to come. "The Six" is definitely a 'page-turner'. I was always wondering what would happen to Darcy and her friends. K. B. Hoyle also created an entirely new creature, the Nark. The Nark is a fascinat ...more
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
OMG, this is ridiculously good! A little bit Narnia, a little bit Harry Potter, all totally addictive. I couldn't put it down, and now I can't wait to start reading The Oracle. I have a feeling Tellius is going to turn into quite a lovely young man, perhaps one even to rival the spunky Perry... Lucky Darcy! I highly recommend this series.
Anna
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a reader who tends to avoid YA fiction like the plague, this series is of the few exceptions. It is comparable to that of Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling, while keeping a distinct style and imagination of its own. In short: Read. it.
Donna Huber
This was a great story. A wonderful way to start the series. It sucked me in within the first few pages. See my full review at http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/02...
Schledia Phillips
The Six kept me from doing a lot of my regular duties. I had a hard time putting it down. In reading it to my children, they would get upset when I closed it for the night.
Karen Voitik
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
>Book Review – The Six
>I am an independent reviewer. This book is the 1st in the Gateway Chronicles and ends all up in the air. This book is a young adult fantasy story about 6 kids at a family summer camp. Darcy and her family have come upon hard times, so a family summer camp is all they can afford this summer. The remaining 5 kids are repeat campers. The different personalities of the 6 main characters are really interesting and described so well without causing the story to drag. I was
Patricia Reding
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my experience, the hardest age group for which one can find engaging, well-written stories, is middle-grade—and in particular for the third-fourth grade or so. These young people have moved beyond baby stories and picture books. They want magic and adventure—and their parent’s want things for them that are well-written, in full sentences and with the limited use of slang, and so forth. Well, young readers and their parents will be delighted to find The Six, by K.B. Hoyle. Drawing parallels wi ...more
Erin Straza
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, arks-2018
Here's the thing. I'm primarily a nonfiction reader. When I read fiction, it needs to have smart dialogue, intriguing characters, and expected twists and turns—or I’m out. I picked up The Six because friends were recommending it, and I loved the new covers for The Gateway Chronicles series. (Yes, I also judge books by their covers. I’m a tough critic!) Even so, I was not sure this story would meet my picky standards, because there are simply too many other books to read to go on with a dud. I cr ...more
Sophie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start by saying how excited I was to start The Six as soon as I had it in my hands. I had heard from the author and her readers how much it reminded readers of the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter combined. What more do I need to be excited about a book?
Let me start by talking about the main character: Darcy Pennington.
As soon as I started reading, I already saw myself in Darcy’s character. Darcy is very shy which makes it hard for her to make friends, exactly like me at her age (
Candice
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
While I enjoyed the Narnia influence of this book, the main character Darcy's woe-is-me preteen-ness definitely fell into the brooding-character trap. She does have severe social anxiety so perhaps similar readers will see themselves in her. To me, it was uncomfortable social situations and experiences that I'd rather not dwell in. The book's saving grace was when she met the wolf who helped her discover her secret power. Things got much more interesting then.

This won a Gold Book Award for YA se
Carla
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna Huber
This is at least the 3rd time I've read this book. I still love it. It would be so easy to judge Darcy, but I know what it is like to be in her shoes and I'm not sure I wouldn't have done some of the same things. While this is an updated version, I didn't really notice any differences from the previous editions.
Erin Morgan
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ya, loved-it
Since I read so much last week, I did promise some reviews. So this is the first one. It's for The Six by K.B. Hoyle. This is book 1 of The Gateway Chronicles.

I rarely feel compelled to review something. It does happen on occasion, but even then the most I'll do is review with a paragraph or two and leave it at that. Rarely do I review each book in a series as I'm planning to do here.

As you can guess by the title of this post, this book is a YA novel. A good YA novel is something I enjoy immense
Kristy
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book a few weeks ago and finally just got the chance to read it. Just finished this morning and I've already put in an order for the second book. As someone who really enjoys imaginative fantasy stories involving unlikely young heroes, this book was right up my alley. Definitely want to find out what happens next to "The Six."
Olivia Mardis
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
This book was amazing! I loved every minute of it. This book was a wonderful start to a wonderful series! I currently own two copies of it!
Rel8tivity
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rel8tivity by: Katmom
Move over Narnia, make way for The Six!

I have to admit, I didn't like the main character for a long time. Upon first meeting her, Darcy Pennington is a typical 13-year old girl with a typical family. Typical annoying little brother. Typical dad who's caring but a little oblivious to her feelings. Typical stern mom. But Darcy's throwing a major hissy fit because her family can't afford to send her to the equestrian camp that she's used to, and instead are opting for a family vacation at Cedar Cov
Shaheen
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really have no idea how I will approach this review, but having re-read the synopsis above I have realised that it fails to capture much of The Six. The story is pretty much as the blurb describes: thirteen year old awkward and socially inept girl finds out she needs needs to save the magical world of Alitheia with her friends.

Darcy Pennington isn't just awkward - she is a self-centred individual who sincerely believes that the other kids at the camp are beneath her. She's much too good to be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Oracle Theories 1 6 Nov 13, 2011 04:14PM
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Ennara and the Fallen Druid (Ennara, #1)
  • Sun Mage (Blacklight Chronicles, #2)
  • Protector of the Grove (The Bowl of Souls, #7 / Jharro Grove Saga, #2)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • The Black Dragon: A Claire-Agon Dragon Book (Claire-Agon Dragon #3)
  • Candlewax
  • Trusted (Dragons' Trust, #1)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Dragon Fire
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy, #2)
  • First Aid for Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts
K. B. Hoyle is a multiple award-winning Young Adult author, a public speaker, and a creative writing instructor. She is represented by Ben Grange of the L. Perkins Agency in New York City.

She was a panel speaker at the 2013 Sydney Writer's Festival in Sydney, Australia, and a featured speaker at the Great American Book Festival in 2017. Her books receive high acclaim from readers and reviewers wo

The Gateway Chronicles (6 books)
  • The Oracle (The Gateway Chronicles Book 2)
  • The White Thread (The Gateway Chronicles Book 3)
  • The Enchanted (The Gateway Chronicles Book 4)
  • The Scroll: The Gateway Chronicles 5
  • The Bone Whistle (The Gateway Chronicles Book 6)