Start by marking “Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee” as Want to Read:
Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee

A contemporary novel about two best friends who must make tough decisions about their futures--and the TV show they host--in their senior year of high school.

But with the end of senior yea
Published February 26th 2019 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee, please sign up.
Danielle 7th grade and up. It has some serious issue, but there is no language. The issues are for a little bit older teens, but there is nothing that most 7th…more7th grade and up. It has some serious issue, but there is no language. The issues are for a little bit older teens, but there is nothing that most 7th graders couldn't handle. It is "cleaner" than either of his other ones when it comes to language and subject matter. I am a middle school teacher and hoping to be a middle school librarian, and I would have no issues putting it in the school's library.(less)

Melanie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Julie Zantopoulos

“There’s something about witnessing something holy with someone you love, because you take that sacred thing and weave it, like a golden thread, into the fabric of your togetherness.”

Oh, friends! I feel so torn on this one. I do want to start this review off by saying that my dear friend Julie sent this to me, and a few of our other friends, as a traveling book so we could all record our thoughts and feelings with annotations! And, luckily for me, I was the last person to get the book, so I
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but what in the name of manic-pixie-dream plot did I just read????????? Things started off well enough but took SUCH a nose-dive in the second half, I can't even deal. I have no idea how to even write this review because this was one of my most anticipated reads of the year (I gave Jeff’s previous two books 5 stars) but it was honestly just a big ol' 👎🏼💩 I AM SO BUMMED
Jeff Zentner
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Here’s where RAYNE & DELILAH’S MIDNITE MATINEE came from.

Inspiration rears its head at the most unexpected places, at the most unlikely times. One Saturday night, in February 2016, while I had my antennae up for an idea for my third novel, I came home and turned on the TV. I started aimlessly channel surfing. I must emphasize: this is exceedingly rare for me to do, given the length of my Netflix queue.

When I landed on the Nashville public access station, I saw something surprising--a grainy
Larry H
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"Sometimes small and unspectacular things can be a universe."

Josie and Delia are best friends. They're practically inseparable, prone to conversations like, "Have you noticed that if you switch the first letters of every country singer's first and last name, you end up with an amazing Star Wars name?"

Every Friday night, Josie and Delia become Rayne Ravenscroft and Delilah Darkwood, the hosts of a campy, tongue-in-cheek horror show on public access television called Midnite Matinee . They show b
Lola
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
What the hell happened to Jeff Zentner? THE SERPENT KING was beautiful and well-written. GOODBYE DAYS was emotional and original and all sorts of great. But RAYNE & DELILAH’S MIDNITE MATINEE is nothing like those two books. It’s dull and kind of weird. I do believe Jeff Zentner has his own style, different from other Young Adult authors, but this is a new weird even for him.

I didn’t connect with any of it. I didn’t feel the sympathy, the empathy that the characters were trying(?) to convey.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ 25%

I might try this again later but this book is making me so angry I can't stand it. I hate the way Josie views the world around her and I hate her inability to look outside of her own grossly over-privileged bubble for more than half a second at a time, and I'm not even remotely enjoying watching Delia rake her poor mother over the coals with her obsession over finding her deadbeat runaway father.

It's really such a shame, because with my lifelong obsession with horror films and anything
emma
i would categorize my soul as "lightly destroyed"

review to come

--------

The Serpent King ruined my goddamn life so i am therefore legally obligated to read every other soul-destroyer Jeff Zentner writes
Julie Zantopoulos
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2018
ARC provided by Jeff for a traveling book buddy read that will be returned to him with my annotations and thoughts. All opinions are my own. (also, if you're wondering if that's the coolest idea ever for an author to do, the answer is yes!)

"Sometimes small and unspectacular things can be a universe."

Josie and Delia are best friends, they're open and honest and they are as different as Dill and Lydia (yes, Serpent King reference). I kind of hate their unbalanced friendship dynamic but I get th
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)

It was mediocre.

Many thanks to Crown Books for Young Readers for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
Taylor
Updated Review:

Thank you so much to Crown Books for Young Readers for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

description

"Goooooooooood evening, boys and ghouls, zombies and zombettes, witches and warlocks, this is Midnite Matinee..."

All it takes is that punny intro from Rayne & Delilah's TV Six Studio show, and we're immediately informed of what kind of humor -- and characters -- we'll be interacting with throughout this coming-of-age contemporary.

(And that's not to knock it. I g
Malanie
“““I never feel like I need to hide any part of who I am.”””

This book had so much potential. I promise it did. It started off so great!!!!! But it sort of,,,,,folded in on itself. About 50% in. If the first half of this book only existed, then it would be a 5/5 star book. HOWEVER.

The plot just didn’t do it for me. Which is sad. life just wants to,,,,punch me in the gut here lately and it’s fine. So. Ouch but you know what, whatever. I’M VERY OKAY.

✨What is this book about?✨

Best friends,
Cory Marie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am the type of reader who hardly ever asks for ARCs- partly because I am stupid and scared of rejection, and partly because I am weird and I often enjoy going to the bookstore on the day a book is released. There is just something about a Tuesday morning, am I right?! However, when I had the amazing opportunity to read Jeff Zentner's newest book early... I DID NOT HESITATE. I had to have it. He is one of the best contemporary authors out there. He wrote my absolute favorite book, The Serpent K ...more
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 “weirdo” stars

OK here is the deal: I have no idea how to rate this book (well obviously I chose four stars but I am still pondering it over) or how to write this review.

I guess you’ll get a jumble of thoughts, reactions and feelings.

First I want to say that I adored "The Serpent King" and "Goodbye Days". They were both five stars and I could not wait to read Midnite Matinee.

My feelings reading this book:

1) WTH am I reading? What are these girls talking about? Old bad horror movies are so
Warda
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
“A hilarious novel about friendship, following your dreams – and bad horror movies.”

Thank you, Andersen Press for this book!
I read The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner last year and became one of my favourite books of last year.

I can’t wait to see what his new novel will be like.
Hamad
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Jeff is one of those authors that you read once and love forever!
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I am notoriously picky about books of a lighter nature. But since  The Serpent King is one of my all-time favorites, and I really loved  Goodbye Days , I was obviously going to give Rayne & Delilah a go. And I am so glad that I did, for it was fabulous. This book is completely laugh-out-loud funny. Nay, it's laugh-at-inappropriate-times funny.

But beyond just being phenomenally fun
Denia  Books & Baubles
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, you guys. I loved it so much.

Let me start by saying I have never laughed as hard reading a book as I did reading this one. This book was awesome you guys! I couldn't stop reading it once I started it. We have a little bit of everything going on in this book. There's your adorable romance, there's your invaluable friendship, there's your crazy story, there's your down moments, but above all, there's your love.

"Those who don't work hard for a long time will have a hard time for
Irena
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3,5

After spending some time only reading adult fiction and non fiction, I found myself craving some ya literature. I already read some fantasy this year, but what I really wanted in my life was good ya contemporary, since it was my favorite genre for the longest time.
This novel reminded me why I love this genre so much, and even though it wasn’t a 5 stars book for me, or a brilliant masterpiece, it still made me feel that familiar feeling you have when you return to something you
Lauren Stoolfire
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Every Friday night, best friends Delia and Josie become Rayne Ravenscroft and Delilah Darkwood, hosts of the campy creature feature show Midnite Matinee on the local cable station TV Six. But with the end of senior year quickly approaching, the girls face tough decisions about their futures. Josie has been dreading graduation, as she tries to decide whether to leave for a big university and chase her dream career in mainstream TV.
Christy
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alright, Jeff Zentner. You promised me this book would come without tears but that is a lie!

Rayne and Delilah are the alternative late-night access channel personalities of Josie and Delia, two best friends who are high school seniors on the cusp of their whole lives changing. Rayne and Delilah’s Midnite Matinee is their story and it will grab your heart in a way you can’t even expect.

Whew.

Any YA fan alive in the last two years has probably heard of Jeff Zentner or maybe seen one of his selfies
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

Thank you to Christy of BookCrushin' for putting together the ARC Tour and letting me join in!

Hello, I am broken by another Jeff Zentner novel. I felt too many things and now am sobbing in bed and do not want to feel things ever again. But, alas, Jeff does a very good job of breaking people in the way they need to be broken in order to truly unde
Ryan
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewing books isn’t one of my skills and I can by no means do this book justice. That being said, I absolutely adore it.

If you've read either or both of Jeff's books you kinda have a good idea of what to expect: beautiful sentences, characters with a ton of heart and empathy who you'd love to have in your social group, an exploration of loss in some capacity, a reverence for the people and the state of Tennessee, and, of course, tears. This time, though, the tears are from laughing and joy rat
Lisa
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
Best friends take on the world...and specifically a public access horror show they co-host. This book is literally laugh-out-loud funny.

There are so many poignant moments - growing up, making big decisions, leaving childhood behind. I love how Delia and Josie interact with each other and their truly amazing sense of humor.

Zentner's best work yet.
Jessica
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fantastic, with the perfect mix of humor and pathos. I laughed out loud on nearly every page at the dialogue, and yet found myself ugly crying over the ending (in a good way). Zentner has drawn a beautiful picture of friendship, family, and how hard growing up can be. I loved how he found the perfect balance between Something Fresh (girls with a cable access horror movie show, a teen MMA fighter) and Familiar & Relatable (mental health struggles, broken families). You've never seen a ...more
Catherine Tinker
Jun 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
"'Wayne's World' meets 'Ghost World,' the book stars two best friends who must make some tough decisions about the “creature feature” show they host on their local cable access TV station as they enter their senior year of high school."

good grief that's so many things i could ever want all rolled into one book
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
I was at 90% with this book for two days and could not bring myself to pick it up and finish it. Today I decided to rip off the proverbial band-aid and end the torture. That being said, giving this book one star is killing me because I loved Zentner's first YA novel with all my heart, but this story is abysmal.

Before I say anything else about this book... it demonizes those who have mental illness who think of themselves before helping someone else, a someone who won't take their medication, to
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
I need to stop getting NetGalley notifications in class. My Spanish professor keeps making eye contact with me when I find out I got approved for an ARC.

He thinks I was texting my boyfriend in class.

If he only knew...
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Random House. I grew up watching horror movies with my dad, so the premise of this book caught me right away. He watches Svengoolie faithfully every Saturday, and I try to catch it with him whenever I can. If I hadn’t been a book blogger, I might have reviewed horror movies (and did all through high school, with the standard irreverence of my sixteen-year-old self). Horror hosting is such a niche interest that I was delighted to fi ...more
Celia McMahon
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have come to expect a few things out of a book by Jeff Zentner. One that I will probably cry at some point. Two that I probably won't sleep or eat until I finish. Three, that I will continue to follow this man's career to the end of my days.

What is it about, you ask?

This story follows Josie and Delia, hosts of a public access monster movie show. Both are uniquely different but fit together like PB and j. Delia comes from a broken home (her father abandoned her and her mother) whereas Josie co
Jen Ryland
One of my favorites of 2019 so far!

Review to come.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • Call It What You Want
  • Girls on the Verge
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • The Size of the Truth (Sam Abernathy #1)
  • How to Make Friends with the Dark
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Field Notes on Love
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Friend System
  • Untitled (Impostors, #4)
Jeff Zentner lives in Nashville, Tennessee. He came to writing through music, starting his creative life as a guitarist and eventually becoming a songwriter. He’s released five albums and appeared on recordings with Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Thurston Moore, Debbie Harry, Mark Lanegan, and Lydia Lunch, among others.

Now he writes novels for young adults. He became interested in writing for
“Most of all, I think it’s people who love to be reminded that sometimes you do your best and you come up short, but there’s still a place in the world for people like that.” 2 likes
“Well, I started Tae Kwon Do pretty early before moving into Muay Thai—” “What’s that?” “Muay Thai? It’s this Thai kickboxing style where you use your whole body to put force into kicks and strikes.” “Oh, like the way I eat pizza.” 2 likes