Start by marking “The Bear at the Bar” as Want to Read:
The Bear at the Bar

The Bear at the Bar

Dex is a gay Adonis.

When he walks into Seattle's Ransom bar, heads turn. He can have just about anyone he wants, and he does, every night.

Until he meets a bear at the bar and everything changes.

"The Bear at the Bar" is a short story originally published in 2014 in the "A Taste of Honey" anthology.
Published June 24th 2018 by Other Worlds Ink (first published August 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Bear at the Bar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear at the Bar

Len Evans Jr
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story is a truly awesome take on the body-switching stories like Disney's Freaky Friday. I loved it because the writing truly MAKES you really feel what Dex is experiencing and how he is having his eyes opened not only about how badly he treats others but also how so totally empty his life is. I loved it!
~nikki the recovering book addict
Interesting!

This was interesting although I was left with more questions than when we started. Like, what the heck happened? We don’t have any answers to that burning question and for the life of me, don’t find that quite satisfying..

Sure, it was nice that Dex had an eye opening experience but..it’s too short to effectively tell the whole story. *pout*
Tinnean
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very sweet story.
AussieMum
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This was a wonderful, thought-provoking little story, with a twist. It put a smile on my face and left me satisfied, but still wondering about...things.

Lots to like here if you've got 10 minutes to spare and have a soft spot for bears.
namericanwordcat
This is the second book I have tried but J. Scott Coatsworth and I think there is just something in this writer's style that isn't working for me. Maybe it leans more toward gay fiction than romance.

Here I am disappointed because the fun of a body swap theme is you get both point of view and we don't.

MariF
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read it as part of "A Taste of Honey" anthology a couple of years ago and re-read it recently from the same anthology to recollect the plot.
It's very short but remarkable and memorable at the same time.
I loved the concept of a person being literally in someone else's shoes (or body) to see first-hand how shallow they became as an individual and how hurtful their behavior is towards others.
I wish the body switch was explained a bit better but even such abrupt switch back at the ending did no
Heather Moss
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Little Tale With Life Lesson

I enjoyed this quick read by Coatsworth. Entertaining and written in an engaging and funny way that brought me laughter. I am usually do busy and glad to find a book I could read in one sitting while in a cab for work. There's a life lesson in how we treat people and I'm glad for that little reminder that led to introspection. Quick five star read for me. Even when Sex was an asshat I still couldn't help liking him.
Jeremy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable!

I've not lived the life of the perfect Adonis that so many gay men believe themselves to be, and I've wasted a lot of time fretting over that fact. This story was a thoroughly enjoyable romp through what it feels like from both sides of that mysterious, magical equation. I'll give this story the best praise an author will ever get: I plan to read this again!
Nessa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very creative and unique short story. It was well written and I had fun trying to figure out what has happened to Dex. This was definitely an extreme lesson for Dex who goes through a big life change, and comes out on top. =)
Maryann Kafka
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a little strange story but I liked it. I gave it three stars only because it was a short story. I'm not sure if it's mystical or paranormal. And most of all it left me wondering what happened to Colin and Alvin. Fun and entertaining!
Linda
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, quirky, creamy and entertaining. Well written with a variety of characters. The change in Dex was transformative. Not just physically but psychological ly. Thought provoking.
JANE
Dan
Jul 10, 2018
Allyson White
Aug 25, 2018
Scott lives with his husband in a leafy Sacramento, California suburb, in a cute yellow house with a pair of pink flamingoes in the front yard.

He has always been in the place between the here and now and the what could be. He started reading science fiction and fantasy at the tender age of nine, encouraged by his mother. But as he read the golden age classics and more modern works too, he started