Start by marking “Grace After Henry” as Want to Read:
Grace After Henry

Grace After Henry

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  467 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A quirky love story set in Dublin that's perfect for fans of P.S. I Love You and Jojo Moyes, Grace After Henry is a funny, heartfelt debut novel about one woman learning what it means to move on and to let go

When her fiancé Henry Walsh is killed in a freak biking accident, Grace feels like she's lost her own shadow. For five years, they'd been inseparable: five years of th
Expected publication: March 12th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published May 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Grace After Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace After Henry

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I purchased a copy for my kindle on a daily deal!

T/W- Grief

Before I share my thoughts, let's just say that I am in the minority here and sadly couldn't click with this novel at all. Grace loses her husband Henry in a tragic accident, but still sees him wondering around in the city of Dublin. It isn't until a man that looks the exact mirror reflection of him turns up one day and a big secret is revealed. The pacing was extremely slow as well as events that took place that I personally couldn't re
Cathy
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reads, romance
Ten Reasons To Love Grace After Henry by Eithne Shortall

One – The believable and touching portrayal of the impact of losing someone close to you.  The regrets – if only you’d said all the things you’d meant to say.  The guilt – that if you’d done things differently perhaps events would have taken a different course.  The anger – why me?  The loneliness and sense of displacement in a world that suddenly seems to be missing a vital part.

Two – How Grace’s memories of the good times with Henry are c
Theresa Smith Writes
I’m going to state right up front that this novel is nothing like what the blurb indicates. It’s so much more and then some, making it a really tricky one to review because I don’t want to give even a hint of a spoiler. I didn’t have one, so you can’t either! This is one of those novels that you want to go into fairly blind.

Irish fiction has long been a favourite of mine, harking back to my twenties when I used to devour Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, and Sheila O’Flannagan like they were my main no
Coco.V
Jun 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (6/20/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Grace sees her boyfriend Henry everywhere. In the supermarket, on the street, at the graveyard.

Only Henry is dead. He died two months earlier, leaving a huge hole in Grace's life and in her heart. But then Henry turns up to fix the boiler one evening, and Grace can't decide if she's hallucinating or has suddenly developed psychic powers. Grace isn't going mad - the man in front of her is not Henry at all, but someone else who looks uncannily like him. Th
Claire
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a friend and I'm so glad I found the time to read it. I struggled to put this down finding it to be an absorbing tale full of emotions of all kinds with some humour thrown in. The only reason it's not a 5* read for me is that I wasn't completely happy with the ending. But don't let that put you off, it is definitely worth the read.
Sheila
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a delightful book. I mainly read crime fiction, but I'm finding that some of my top reads this year are out of my reading comfort zone. This is right up there with Eleanor Oliphant for me. In fact I actually enjoyed it more. I absolutely loved all the characters, they just leapt off the pages. I laughed, I cried, it's definitely a book that I will be pressing into the hands of everyone I meet who enjoys a good read.
Karen Cole
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Grace, I have experienced the pain and shock of a sudden loss. In my case it was my brother who died but there is so much of this wonderful novel that was familiar to me. It's over five years since he died but I remember those times when I would catch a glimpse of somebody driving a car and they'd looked so much like him that I caught my breath for a moment until reality kicked in again and I remembered I had identified his body in the hospital mortuary and stood on a wet and windy hillside ...more
J.S. Cherfi
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, far more than I even expected to. I would compare this book to Me After You (the title even follows the same principle) and P.S. I Love You and is on par with, if not better than those (definitely the former).

I got into the story straight away because the fatal incident is the opening. I was immediately captivated by the story and could already feel the depth of their relationship. Henry dies after an accident on his bike - this played on my emotions even more so beca
Deama
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah this was such a good read with lots of humour and heartfelt moments.

After Grace's boyfriend Henry dies in a cycling/traffic accident everything's turned upside down. It's an emotional roller coaster for Grace as she imagines seeing Henry everywhere, in everyone. And then Andy turns up at her door, identical to Henry although with only a few slight differences. Grace keeps him a secret for a long while, but Andy isn't Henry, and can she learn to separate the two?

I love the fact that in this
Blodeuedd Finland
I read this one really fast, when I started, I just needed to know that everything would work out.

Grace and Henry are about to buy a house, and then he dies. A horrible accident and she can just not move on. She sees him everywhere and misses him so much. Which is obvious, and so heartbreaking. I liked her and I wanted her to be happy again.

She has a great best friends. She has great parents. But she does not have Henry anymore. And she most learn to live again without him.

Like move into a new h
Joan
'Funny and poignant' ??

Really??

I'm not going to rate this book. The writing is fine - it's the graphic and very disturbing description of the death of Grace's boyfriend in the first section of the story (prologue) that was neither funny nor poignant.

Death happens. And a lot of romance stories feature death by various means, but this was just too gruesome and descriptive to let me forget how Henry died.

Sometimes, 'less' is more.

dnf at 2%
mrsljgibbs
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read anything by this author before but I’m so glad I decided to give her book a try!
I really loved this book and had to devour the second half just so I could find out what was going to happen!! I loved the way it was written - the will they won’t they but not in the traditional sense - you’ll know what I mean when you read it!!
The story is told from different characters point of view but mostly from the main character Grace’s.
The ending is perfect & ties everything up nicely.
A Little Piece Of My Mind.
Hmm…. So I don't really know how to start this off as I have mixed feelings about this book.
So let me start by saying the first chapter of this book grabbed me its very hard hitting and graphic with the accident that happens and instantly makes you really like and feel protective over the main character Grace.
This book wasn't really what I was expecting, after the first chapter it takes a totally different route than I thought it would.

Full review is on my blog:
Marjorie
3.5 Stars

This book is very misleading, whilst the scene setting of the accident that tears Henry from Grace is necessary it did give me an unfavourable impression of the actual tale. This is not so much a book about Grace and Henry but rather one about learning to live with loss and the ways in which it alters everyone it touches. This is particularly shown through the medium of the Three Wise Men and Grace's irascible next door neighbour.

Reading it from that perspective certainly gave me more
Nicola Smith
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace After Henry is funny and moving all at the same time, not an easy thing to achieve. But Eithne Shortall has definitely cracked it.

Grace's boyfriend, Henry, has died. They were just in the process of embarking on the next stage of their life together when that was it, he was gone. She sees him everywhere, a natural effect of grief. He's in the restaurant where she works, at the graveyard, in the street. But then one day Andy turns up and he looks just like Henry.

How does Grace deal with th
Emily Weatherburn
When I first read this book’s blurb, I really did not think that it would be something that I would enjoy. Romances – even the classics – always seem too slow for me. I like things with a little more action (and a few more Gothic castles). "Grace after Henry" did manage to surprise me, though, because, although I cringe whenever I consider the implausibility of the story, the novel makes it more believable by admitting its strangeness. Grace is constantly telling herself how ridiculous it all is ...more
Jo Barton
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When someone close to us dies we sometimes think that we see them again in the most unlikely of places and the same is true of Grace, who thinks that she still sees her boyfriend, Henry, but, deep down, she knows that Henry was taken from her in a dreadful accident. Picking up the pieces of her life isn't easy but gradually with the help of family and friends, especially, Aoife, Grace starts to put together the home that she and Henry should have made together. That is, until the boiler breaks d ...more
Sara Clifford-gray
Grace and Henry are a couple, and are ready to buy their first home together in Dublin. One evening, after work, whilst cycling to a house viewing Henry is tragically killed by a lorry.

Grace goes ahead with the purchase of "their house" but is left bereft and alone struggling to function with everyday tasks until a few months after his death, Grace starts to see Henry - in a graveyard, around town, and even in the restaurant where she works. One evening, "Henry" calls round to fix her boiler, an
Jasmine
3.5 Stars
This was a hard book to rate because I have mixed feelings about this. This drew me in from the very start and instantly I cared about Grace. The way she was written was brilliant and she was a super complex character and it was just so easy to connect with her. In regards to what I was expecting...it definitely wasn't what happened. The twists were surprising and interesting and this made the book really unique because I had felt like I knew how the story would go but I was wrong and
Hazel Potter
This was not what I was expecting, after being grabbed from the initial first look, the story then took on a different path. Grace loses the love of her life to a tragic traffic accident. Out of nowhere the unknown identical twin brother of the deceased turns up and turns Grace's life into an emotional turmoil. Trying to keep him a secret for as long as possible, Grace tries to figure out if this is how her life is meant to be. Thankfully she makes the right decision at the end.
The story was nic
Anne
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Suspension of disbelief is rarely a problem for me, so I suspect that the fact I unexpectedly struggled a bit with the central storyline of this book probably says more about my reading mood than the book itself. The writing is quite superb – a bit Marian Keyes, certainly a touch of Anna McPartlin, but with a style and warmth all of its own. It takes an excellent writer to take an overall theme of grief and loss, and introduce a rich seam of quirky humour that works so very well – the dialogue p ...more
Kat
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this little novel. I took it on holiday with me to Spain and found myself blubbing through it by the side of the pool! I knew it would probably be emotive but didn't realise I would affect me that much. Shortall has a really lovely way of writing. It's set in Ireland but does not make a huge difference to the reader although you may not get all the references it didn't matter. It's a refreshing original story. Probably a little far fetched as other reviewers have not ...more
Nicole
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After not reading anything for MONTHS, I dove straight back in with this beauty, Grace After Henry. After the sudden unexpected death of her boyfriend Henry, Grace is trying to deal with the grief and move on, but she keeps seeing Henry everywhere she goes. A few weeks later, a plumber turns up to fix the boiler and he is the DOUBLE of Henry - and it turns out that he is Henry's long-lost identical twin, and Henry had absolutely no idea that he existed.

I liked the story - it moved at a decent pa
Ellen
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book, which is set in Dublin. Grace is anxious to move into her new house with her partner, Henry, when she gets some tragic news. How Grace moves forward and handles this tragedy is done with tears, laughs and honest emotion. I loved Grace, the flashbacks to her relationship with Henry, and how she moves forward with her life. I highly recommend this wonderful story, giving hope where there is sometimes a fear of never coping again.
Jillian Doherty
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heart wrenching and redemptive story is exactly what I was looking for. From the very beginning you relate to the characters and immediately empathize with the tragedy that sets the story into motion.

There’s a fantastic hook you don’t see coming, which evolves the storyline, creating a new perspective on our perception of love, loss, and family.

With contemporary characters who are as relatable, as the Irish setting is charming. But this story could be told in any time and anywhere - some em
Andy Bird
Not good. I’m afraid this didn’t quite work. This book had a big problem in that the premise was bad,(view spoiler)
Darshini R
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so warm and it honestly gives a hug to your soul. I never take this long to complete a book but I genuinely wanted to enjoy this book. It gave such a wonderful perspective on love, life after encountering a death in your life as well as the trauma of death. It made me love life as well as understand more about a human’s emotions and feelings.
Clara
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! I was expecting a book that was very sad and a bit hard to read, but that is not what I got at all!

This is such a well written and thought provoking story. I will admit that the parts where she was having flashbacks and chatting with Henry
could actually be a bit confusing at times.Although it in no way took from the story, It actually helped the story along once you got into it.

Grace is such a loveable character and all her actions throughout the book I felt were very fit
Ange
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grief understood

Beautifully written with depth of understanding, truly therapeutic for anyone who has lost a ‘partner’. I didn’t want the book to end but as it had to, I’m left almost happy..
Janay Brazier
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in less than 24 hours. I loved it and if you’re a fan of books similar to PS I Love You or Me Before You, then I definitely think you’ll enjoy this book. The characters were brilliant, the storyline was so unique and felt so real. I’m so glad that I read this.
Eithne Shortall is an author and journalist. Her debut novel, Love in Row 27, was published in June 2017. Her second novel, Grace after Henry, will be published in the UK and Ireland in May 2018 and in the United States in early 2019. She is the chief arts writer with the Irish edition of the Sunday Times newspaper and a regular contributor to RTE Radio.

Eithne was born and grew up in Dublin, Irela