Start by marking “The Liar's Child” as Want to Read:
The Liar's Child

The Liar's Child

In this intense and intimate family portrait that moves at a thriller's pace, a troubled woman faces a gripping moral dilemma after rescuing two abandoned children from a hurricane.

On the outskirts of North Carolina's Outer Banks sits the Paradise, an apartment complex where renters never stay long enough to call the place "home"--and neighbors are seldom neighborly. It's
Published March 12th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Liar's Child, please sign up.
Carla Buckley Happy to have a new book coming out!! I'll be in St Pete's next month for Bouchercon. Two hours away from you, right?

Start your review of The Liar's Child
Deanna
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

I’ve read a few books from this author and have really enjoyed them. The description for “The Liar’s Child” intrigued me and I was excited to start reading.

Whit Nelson, his wife Diane, and their two children, twelve-year-old, Cassie and five-year-old, Boon live in an apartment complex called “The Paradise” which is on the outskirts of North Carolina’s Outer Banks. It’s the kind of place people don’t stay long. A
Kaceey
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5*
Whit Nelson is struggling to hold his family together. His wife, not exactly mother of the year, is gone and his twelve year old daughter Cassie has entered the Goth phase! (Oh joy). His younger son Boon is petrified to get into the family car having being left inside for hours by his mother. Can Whit keep his family together? Or is the damage irreparable.

Sara Lennox has unwillingly entered the witness protection program. Placed in a less than desirable apartment complex ironically called Pa
Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 stars rounded to 4!

I've been a longtime fan of Buckley's writing, as her stories create the most suspenseful, character driven thrillers I think I've ever read. The Liar's Child is another example of her ability to hook the reader early on, weave together multiple POVs into one seamless plot, and have you pondering her story for days to come. While at times predictable, I found this to be an experience that satisfied me emotionally and satiated my need for a compulsive page turner. Although
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, The Liar’s Child is a family drama with tension and pacing that makes it engaging and surprising.

Sara Lennox moves to the Paradise, an apartment complex with a transient and not necessarily friendly group of occupants. She moves there for the change of pace and to hide, so the Paradise is perfect for her.

Her newest neighbors include a 12-year-old named Cassie and a 5-year-old named Boon. The thing is, rumors are swirling about this family and some trag
Debbie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
In the land of the mediocre...

This book has mediocre written all over it. I hate it when everything—language, plot, characters, dialogue—are all blah. It’s odd—most people zip through a book when it’s simple, but for me, it trips me up. They zip, I trip. My mind refuses to cooperate and do its reading thing. I get stuck and have to reread and reread; the sentences just don’t sink in. My mind wants to go faster; it wants to slurp up something more substantial or jazzy. A simple book puts me into
Linda
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Random crossings of people, place, and time. Footprints left upon the sands of our lives.

Carla Buckley presents a tightly knotted theme in The Liar's Child. She presses upon the thought of unexpected presences that show up briefly or long-term......fleeting moments of contact in which one's aura leaves its indelible mark. And we are forever changed.

Sara Lennox has been on the run. Plain and simple. She stares down the darkened hallway of prison time or the suffocating existence of a federal prot
Berit☀️✨
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a vividly told domestic thriller packed with characters you won’t soon forget!

Carla Buckley is a master storyteller, this is my second book by her and they both have completely captivated me. This is a compelling domestic thriller with characters that just leap off the pages. The story is mesmerizing and taught with tension and emotion. You won’t be able to turn the pages fast enough, and you won’t want it to end.

Sarah reluctantly enters witness protection and finds herself on the Outer Banks o
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

With an impending hurricane howling at their backs, a woman races to keep herself and two abandoned children out of harm's way.  The urgency of the situation is there, impossible decisions have to be made.  Parallels are nicely drawn and the dialogue rings true.  The ending was strangely unsatisfying for me, as though someone had slipped some sugar in my coffee when I wasn't looking.
Carol (Bookaria)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a suspenseful and entertaining story that takes place in North Carolina and is narrated from different points of view.

In one of the storylines, we have Carla. She's a young woman who is entering a witness-protection program and in her new life works as a cleaner, something she never envisioned for herself. The other storyline follows her neighbors, a dysfunctional family living next door to Carla that is going through their own problems.

When a hurricane threatens the coast, Carla makes a
Selena
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of The Liar's Child by Carla Buckley from NetGalley for my honest review.

The Nelson family lives in an apartment complex called the Paradise. Unfortunately, is is anything but a paradise. Life is hard for Cassie (12 years old) and her brother, Boon (5 years old). Although their parents tell them they love them they are lacking being able to help and protect their children, both mentally and physically. Cassie, who is in high school is hanging out with the wrong crowd and
Marialyce
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok

A storm is on approach, a storm that is not only a physical one but one that is mirrored in the lives of the characters that we are presented with in the book, The Liar's Child.

Sara Lennox is running away, she is running from her past, she is running from the Feds, she is running right into the arms of a storm and the children she will eventually protect.

Sara has moved into a ragtag apartment complex and she lives next door to a family. She wants nothing to do with them but, there is s
Jayme
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sara Lennox has been placed by the “Witness Protection Program” in an apartment complex called “The Paradise” on the outskirts of North Carolina’s Outer Banks.

Her neighbors are Whit Nelson and his wife, Diane....the woman who recently made the news for mistakenly leaving her young son, Boon, in a hot car, while she went to work. Their daughter, Cassie, was not in the car, but she has not been left unscathed.

Some people should not be parents.

When Whit and Sara meet, standing on their side by si
Chevy Stevens
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carla Buckley never fails to deliver an intensely emotional and exciting read. With each new book, her writing has become more nuanced without losing any power. The Liar’s Child is rich in setting, complex characters, and a full bodied story that will hold you in its grasp all the way to the end.
Lisa
A quick, easy and entertaining read with well-drawn characters.

SUMMARY
Sara Lennox is escaping her complicated and dangerous past. She just moved to Paradise, an apartment complex on the beach of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She is trying to keep to herself, but she can’t help but hear the fighting coming from the apartment next door. The kids that live there, twelve-year-old Cassie, and five-year-old Boon, seem to be left on their on most of the time. Sara has also heard the rumors about
Judy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yay! I've discovered another North Carolina writer I like. This book is chock-full of liars because not only is the "liar's child" a liar, so is everyone else in this book it seems. They are all lying to each other. Makes it difficult to find the truth.

There are two storylines here. One is Sara who is placed in an apartment at the Outer Banks of North Carolina by the witness protection program. She is supposed to testify against a criminal to keep from going to prison herself. The other story in
Michelle
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
"The secret to lying successfully was to stick to the truth as much as possible. Lies by themselves gave way under scrutiny. But if you hooked them to the truth they bore up. Convince yourself that what you're saying is true, then you can convince someone else."

This is the lesson that Sara Lennox has learned at the foot of her father. A career criminal, he taught her how to read people and keep her wits about her. She never knew her mother so she was essentially orphaned when his lifestyle led h
Dianne
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flawed humans and troubled souls make Carla Buckley’s THE LIAR’S CHILD a riveting and pulse pounding read that will keep readers on the edge of their seats throughout.

Do not expect to have this one figured out, the twists are dizzying, the turns are razor sharp and the characters are so much more than they seem at first blush. Part chilling mystery, part family saga, you will find yourself asking, what would I have done?

I received a complimentary ARc edition from Random House Publishing Group

Pub
Jeanette
Mar 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: abandoned
No rating because I've abandoned this book at about the 100 page mark. There's not a character in this book within the style that it is written that has caused me to become embedded in plots or outcomes. Boon is the only semi interesting character and he is only 5 and rather helpless. His sister is obnoxious and the parents hapless and mediocre dumb uninteresting. Sara seemed too flawed and boringly mundane too to intrigue me for any of her motives. Why would she let that girl hang in her apartm ...more
Monnie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, actually.

Five primary characters - three adults, two kids, some related to each other, some not - are at the center of this well-written, engrossing story that's full of twists. Just when I thought I had a handle on one character, poof - that handle came unglued, shattering my perspective on what was happening (or had happened previously).

The exceptionally well-developed characters really drive this complex but easy to follow story; chapters shift from person to person, with each reve
Jayme

Some people should not be parents.

When Whit and Sara meet, standing on their side by si
Cyndi
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
Sara moves to the Outer Banks part of the witness protection program. In the apartment next to her’s, she discovers 12-year-old Cassie and her younger brother Boon, who have been left to fend for themselves during a hurricane. Sara makes a split decision and drives off with the children into the storm.

Carla Buckley’s the Good Goodbye is one of my all-time favorite books, but this one just did not move me. I found that the first half drew me in, but the second half seemed to be all over the place
Donna
She's on the run, in the witness protection program, using her new name - Sara Lennox.

She's a mother who disappeared after accidentally leaving her son locked in a hot car on a sweltering day. Diane has disappeared, and her husband and children don't know where she is.

She's in 7th grade, and is in charge of her little brother while her Dad works and her mom is who-knows-where. Cassie is angry, sad, and a typical teenager.

These characters are part of the make up this exciting thriller. We don't
Donna Davis
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that love excellent thrillers with strong child character dev.
Buckley is a force to be reckoned with, an established writer, but she is new to me; I wasn’t done with this grab-you-by-the-hair thriller when I lurched over to my desktop to order two more of her novels from Seattle Bibliocommons, a thing I rarely do. Big thanks go to Net Galley and Random House Ballantine for the review copy. You can get this book March 12, 2019, and you should.

Sara Lennox is starting life new under the witness protection program. She has a new name and a dull new life, work
Kasa Cotugno
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A woman in the WITSEC program who is plotting to slip her bonds, two kids whose AWOL mother holds more sway over them than she should, a father who is trying to keep it all together, a haunted ex-police sheriff with a ton of baggage -- lives blown apart and then together by a hurricane threatening the Outer Banks. I chose this as a potential sorbet after reading some heavily engaging works, and was pleasantly surprised at the depth and scope of the writing and characterizations. The redemption a ...more
Retired Reader
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this! Several surprises, revealed appropriately, and well written. Realistic ending, everything didn’t turn out perfectly but it was satisfying.
Donna Hines
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Outer Banks is a beautiful destination but I bet you never heard of The Paradise?
It's a place where renters never truly stay long to call it home sweet home with cranky neighbors.
However, it's ideal for someone who wants to lie low and not create a fuss like Sarah whose on the run from her troubled past.
As time turns slowly she notices the family next door and takes a liking to Cassie and Boon the children from this family struck by tragedy.
More than one storm is on the horizon and Sarah attempt
Nancy McFarlane
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are stories within stories in this powerhouse drama of family, children, guilt, remorse and the trusting innocence of a child. Sara is in witness protection. Whitt is trying to keep his and his two children’s lives from spiraling out of control, at the same time missing the only woman he truly loved. Hank is a washed out sheriff who keeps trying to make amends for that awful night years ago. There are many secrets and more trauma than any child or parent should have to endure. But, they al ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I stuck with this book because of the many 4 and 5 star reviews.... Well, I finished- and I still can't figure out why the hell I did! Oh well.......
Huge fan of Carla Buckley. I read all of her books and loved them. I hate to say that this was not one of my favorites. I usually love books that I alternate between characters but not this one. At times I was confused and wondered what that person had to do with the story. That person would be Hank. He shows up in the beginning and his purpose isn’t fully explained until much later on. The story seemed interesting at first, with Sara being in the Federal Witness Program. Unfortunately, Sara was ...more
Joyce
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story. Cassie and Boon are Whit’s children. Sara is their neighbor, a woman in Witness Protection who has plans to run as soon as she can. The children’s mother had recently disappeared and was believed to have run away from her responsibilities. Everything comes to a head during and following a hurricane on the NC outer banks. Whit leaves the children alone at their apartment to go “help” his parents who had severe damage to their home. Sara takes the children with her while ...more

• Last Night (The Searchers, #2)
  • Before She Was Found
  • Saving Meghan
  • Keeping Lucy
  • All the Wrong Places
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • The Night Olivia Fell
  • We Were Killers Once (Brigid Quinn, #4)
  • The Better Sister
  • Forget You Know Me
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Someone Knows
  • Beautiful Bad
Carla Buckley is the internationally bestselling author of The Good Goodbye, The Deepest Secret, Invisible, and The Things That Keep Us Here, which was nominated for a Thriller Award as a best first novel and the Ohioana Book Award for fiction. She is a graduate of Oberlin College and the Wharton School of Business, and currently lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She serves on the board of the ...more