Start by marking “We Want to Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom” as Want to Read:

Drawing on personal stories, research, and historical events, an esteemed educator offers a vision of educational justice inspired by the rebellious spirit and methods of abolitionists.

Drawing on her life's work of teaching and researching in urban schools, Bettina Love persuasively argues that educators must teach students about racial violence, oppression, and how to mak
Published February 19th 2019 by Beacon Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about We Want to Do More Than Survive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Want to Do More Than Survive

Emily
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books you read fast because you can't take in information fast enough. This book is one you read slow because every morsel of information is big and powerful and makes you think.

All educators should read this. I wish I could take a class with her.
Jenell
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one goes in the “Required Texts” section of my Autumn 2019 syllabus.
Elizabeth Langa
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every educator should read this book. Period.
Becky R.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a white teacher in a very white school, I've desperately been seeking ways to challenge my own bias, my own culturally taught racism, my own bigotry. This is a systemic problem, and it had to start with me looking at myself. I have an MA in ethnic literature and spent an entire higher educational career challenging norms and reading about experiences outside my own. But now as a professional, how do I pass on this personal journey to my own students? How do I challenge them, without pushing w ...more
Lynn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent essay in the injustices put upon African Americans in the past and currently. Very direct and to the point. Bettina L. Love comes from Rochester NY where I’m from so I identified with what she said about Rochester. Once a thriving city in many ways, it has become a city with a huge concentration of poverty. Heartbreakingly so. Important book.
Kimberley
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Abolitionist Teaching" is what Bettina Love says we need more of in our schools and, as a mother, I couldn't agree more with her analysis: Racism is not exclusive to one political party or a particular type of White person. White, well-meaning, liberal teachers can be racist too.

From that point, Love lays out where it all went, and continues to go, wrong. However, she also offers a solution as to how we can make a difference--as educators, parents, activists, politicians, etc.--in the lives of
Maya McKenzie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-work
Should be MANDATORY reading for all educators
Bob
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Summary: A plea and argument for abolitionist teaching that advocates for educational justice in our schools, that understands and is in solidarity with the struggle people of color face in our often racialized schools, and affirms the goodness and joy of one's ethnic, sexual, and gendered identity.

This book is an impassioned argument for "abolitionist teaching." The writer, educational theorist Bettina L. Love, offers this definition:

"Abolitionist teaching is the practice of working in solidari
Zoe's Human
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt
In We Want to Do More Than Survive, Bettina Love, a lifelong educator, paints a clear picture of the systemic nature of racism in our educational system. She examines the role of for-profit organizations in undermining true learning and the role of whiteness, including that of well-intended white folks, in killing the spirits of children. She persuasively argues that there is another way forward, a way that not only makes room for black students to breathe and thrive but also creates paths and p ...more
adeservingporcupine
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would love to read this with other educators so we could discuss it. It’s a challenge to us all to dismantle education as it stands in the U.S. There is mostly theory here and not exactly action steps. Which is great for planting the seeds of radical change but leaves me with questions of what is next. I love that Dr. Love does not shy away from tearing apart so many celebrated aspects of education policy (character education, grit, charter schools) and how they are rooted in white supremacy.
R
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chalida
Brought up a lot of interesting discussion in two book clubs over two weeks. Makes me think that freedom dreaming is more important now than ever and we have replaced civics ed with character ed. The value of homeplaces and abolitionist teaching in every way possible in a system that is spirit murdering is necessary. Very excited to hear Love talk about these principles next week.
Viral
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and powerful short book about systemic racism and inequality in our educational system, and why we cannot simply solve the problem with "better teachers", but instead, we need to systematically rethink education, politics, and society. The classroom can be a place of liberation, but it also can reinforce systemic oppression. A great book for people looking to learn more about the problems we face.
Gabriella  Schiller
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
great material and concepts for education. she tended to go on unrelated tangents. that's a personal pet peeve of mine when reading essays so maybe I'm biased. Overall, I would reccomend it though! She is highly intelligent and I appreciated her wisdom, especially as an educator. ❤
Becky
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a School Nurse at an elementary school where the majority of children are a different race than I am. I appreciated this book more than words can say. My educational background is in complex developmental trauma in children and adolescents. This book took what I already knew to be true about trauma and the developing brain and gave me so many new things to think about when it comes to the students I serve. I loved it.
Stephen Rockwell
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Certainly a must read for all people. Inspiring, raw, and a staple in the field of education.
bellatuscana bellatuscana
I don't think I still understand the book as much as I could have even after reading it. It is part auto-biography, part current events. I first heard Dr. Love's talk at Auburn Avenue after nearly running into her, and I felt that it was something imperative I should read. She talked about "respecting, not loving" dark children, whiteness being synonymous with racism, and being allies in social justice. I found her conversation very sympathetic, and in line with some of the work I've already bee ...more
Megan Gafvert
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, africana
“The ability of education to be a mechanism for freedom, particularly for dark students, is suspended in midair by Whiteness, racism, sexism, and neoliberalism.”

“I often conduct workshops on racism and White supremacy, topics that make many of my participants uncomfortable. I remind them that it’s okay to be uncomfortable but also to understand that while you may be uncomfortable for 45 minutes, other people are uncomfortable their entire lives dealing with oppression.”

4.5/5, really great work b
Hannah Darr
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Abolitionist teaching is asking a lot of all teachers, but any good pedagogy should. Any pedagogy that does not interrogate and challenge Whiteness is inadequate, especially since more than 80 percent of the teaching force is White. Any pedagogy that does not help teachers contextualize students' realities is inadequate because no student is solely responsible for their reality. And any pedagogy that does not challenge injustice is useless because survival is not the goal. Abolitionist teaching ...more
Maxine
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and important book--but as a white woman, this book was not written for me, which is Love's entire point. More a manifesto than a book of pedagogical theory, it does the "freedom dreaming" work it advocates for rather than outlining specific strategies. While I found it moving and radicalizing, this is not a guide to abolitionist teaching so much as it is a galvanizing force to look into such teaching and be humble in my own approaches in the classroom.
Angie Prophet
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was hoping for more information about theories and structures that are working in some schools. I guess I was hoping to see some more case study work in this text because I think there are other books that have done exactly what this one is doing. I love how this book is structured and the background information that is provided. It is a great intro for people who have not done extensive work in this area.
Melinda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Teachers who say they are deeply concerned about social justice or that they love all children but cannot say ‘Black Lives Matter’ have no real understanding of what social justice is and what it truly means to love, find joy, and appreciate students and their students’ culture.”
Kumoshi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was definitely a solid read! From the title/headline, though, I was expecting it to be more specifically focused on teaching in the classroom rather than the more broad scope it ended up covering. Not a bad thing, just not what I expected.
Melissa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written immersive book. Givee the reader a lot to think about. This seems to be a book that may need to be read more than once to grasp all the ideas. Won book courtesy of the author and goodreads.com
Gail
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
4.5, An important book that all educators and parents should read
Mary Thomas
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Essential reading for all educators. Wish I had read something like this during my teacher prep programming. Highly, highly recommend!
Falicia
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I read slowly in order to have enough time to digest it. This should be required reading for all teachers and those considering the profession.
Elisa
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for educators.
Olivia Evans
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading for every educator.
Jordana Reinhart
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a must for those in education!