Start by marking “Paddling My Own Canoe: A Solo Adventure On the Coast of Molokai” as Want to Read:
Paddling My Own Canoe: A Solo Adventure On the Coast of Molokai

Paddling My Own Canoe: A Solo Adventure On the Coast of Molokai

Go Simple, Go Solo, Go Now

In 1958, while flying from one island to another, Audrey Sutherland sees the remote and roadless northeast side of Molokai, with its spectacular sea cliffs and waterfalls. Always an adventurer, she decides that she must find a way to explore this then inaccessible area. After much study, she determines that the best way for her to navigate these
Published August 16th 2018 by Patagonia (first published September 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Paddling My Own Canoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddling My Own Canoe

Start your review of Paddling My Own Canoe: A Solo Adventure On the Coast of Molokai
Melissa Burovac
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an adventurer, I love to read books like this. More than that, though, this book describes a woman learning how to do what hasn't been done before; we couldn't duplicate her journey now, with the amazing technology at our disposal. Figuring out how to rig the equipment she'd need from what she could find in the late 50's and early 60's was brilliant.
The cultural, linguistic, and biological, and geographical aspects of the book made me feel as if I was there, and a little homesick as well (I
Donna M. Lohrmann
This book was a life-changer and caused me to go to Molokai and backpack into the same valley where this book took place. It was quite an adventure...
Hannah
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blind bravery of a woman who risks it all to explore the hidden bays of Hawaii's most unexplored island makes for a gripping read. She lyrically describes her accounts of facing violent waves, rocky landings on shore, and wind-ripping nights in the jungle, and methodically describes the gear she packed to keep her alive and take her to her next goal. A fun and quick read for the adventurer looking for a delicious, light-weight trail treat!
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend. Insightful, knowledgeable, up front writing. She’s the heroine we all have in us. Plus she goes on a fantastic adventure that is fun to read about!
Clivemichael
Interesting narrative, descriptive and suspenseful adventures wrapped within emerging self discovery
Valerie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not an entertaining style of writing, at least not for me! Kept finding my mind drifting while trying to read the book.
Gráinne
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot. Made me want to go to Hawaii even more than normal.
Douglas
With my experience living in Hawaii and personal love, admiration, and experience with isolated (some thought crazy) challenges, I truly wanted to love this book.
Erika
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant read, full of relaxing imagery. I liked that it was set back in the 1960's and 70's, because that made it feel nostalgic and somehow more romantic than the current day. I was impressed with Sutherland's lack of training before setting out on her arduous swimming and paddling trips and her incredible stamina and strength despite her lack of conditioning. Her pain tolerance and determination are admirable.
Annie
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marie
Aug 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoorsy
I really enjoyed reading this book. Her sense of adventure and tranquility found in the wilderness, as well as her ability to overcome her fear was inspirational to me. Sometimes it was hard to follow her descriptions, as they would be broken down into actions taken while swimming or paddling, but overall it was enjoyable and interesting.
Susan
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my classic female empowerment books. I like to read it frequently. Although for me this type of adventure might seem like a death wish, she is skilled and level headed enough to pull it off and get the solitude that she craves.
Ann
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Starre Vartan
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorite adventure books. You can't help but love Audrey, and her independent spirit and overall uniqueness as a human being makes me glad she shares this earth with all of us.
Gail P
A truly independent woman. Educated, alive with interest for the real world and foraging her own way to explore it.
Loriann
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Of coarse I love Hawaii too!
David Vanness
Dec 12, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
my copy is the hardback edition
Bruce Cline

• Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman
  • The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
  • Some Stories: Lessons from the Edge of Business and Sport
  • Thirst: 2600 Miles to Home
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Sea Trial: Sailing After My Father
  • Miss Ulysses from Puka-Puka: The Autobiography of a Sea Trader's Daughter
  • Treacherous Strand (Inishowen Mysteries Book 2)
  • The True Story of Kaluaikoolau: As Told by His Wife, Piilani