Start by marking “Uncanny Magazine Issue 23: July/August 2018” as Want to Read:

"The Uncanny T-rex" by Galen Dara

EDITORIAL
"The Uncanny Valley" by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas

DINOSAURS!
"The Uncanny Dinosaurs—Introduction" by Brooke Bolander, Sam J. Miller, Mari Ness, Nicasio Andres Reed, A. Merc Rustad & Elsa Sjunneson-Henry, K.M. Szpara, JY Yang, and Lynn M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas
"Red Lizard Brigade" by Sam J. Mille
Published July 3rd 2018 by Uncanny Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny Magazine Issue 23, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny Magazine Issue 23

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat” by Brooke Bollander.

SQUEAK SQUEAK. CRUNCH. THEY CRUNCH SO GOOD.”

Brooke Bollander of the Talons that Crush Galaxies, I bow to thee. Why, you ask? Because:

Best title ever.
Matriarchal dromaeosauridae.
Cheerfully moronic prince who doubles as steak tartare.
RRKKKKKKKT!
Canny, asocial princess in no bloody shrimping distress whatsoever.
Hahahaha.
Now that’s what I call a HEA!

=

Best fairy raptortale ever.

This is sh
Bradley
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, humor, fantasy
Nommed for '19 Hugo, this short has everything a meme-starved young girl could ever dream for. The heroines are, of course, Raptors, and the idiot Ape-King is a temporary fancy. :) Quite funny and timely for those of us still watching Jurassic World and similar. :)

Talking points? Nothing much except the focus on female-gender heroes and monsters being the protagonists. Again, humorous, but not much else. Tickled my ragged funnybone. :)
Lena
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s the dinosaur issue: 8/10 stories are related through the Ingen, I mean the Owen Corporation. I love the idea but overall it was a low three stars with nothing memorable.

D64AD0A3-272C-4E36-AD48-99AFFBE02FA9.jpg
Red Lizard Brigade by Sam J. Miller ★★★★☆
Brutal start! Russia is building a dinosaur army with wormhole technology to conquer the West. Lovers find themselves at crossroads when one wants to defect.

99835D81-E0B6-4D33-9448-A7DA58E9A28B.jpg
The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat by Brooke Bolander ★★★★☆
"And they lived ha
Golnoush
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The humor was very well done, I certainly had more than a dozen chuckles and one or two loud laughs, but other than that there was nothing much to its mundane plot.
Ron
“To see it would have burst your heart, and then they would have eaten what was left of you.”

Something of a farce. Fun to the point of being silly. Like a one-line joke extended into a story.

“Glamour never worked on cats. They saw right through the Princess’s spell, recognized the kindred hunters beneath, and found pressing reasons to be elsewhere.”

2019 Short Story Hugo Award finalist. Published in Uncanny Magazine 23, July-August 2018.

“It was a good life, sprinkled with just the right amount of
saradevil
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully modern fable.
Peter Tillman
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review solely for "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat" by Brooke Bolander. https://uncannymagazine.com/article/t... 2019 Nebula nominee for best short story.

A lively fantasy, and a worthy nominee. Best to go in cold, I think -- though the cover art is certainly a clue! A nice inversion of old fairy tales. Recommended.
Caitlin
Three beautiful raptor sisters in a forest are drawn out of their bountiful woods when a young and hapless prince stumbles onto their territory.

In a lot of ways, this reminded me of Kill the Farm Boy, both in good ways and bad. Like that story, this tale retells a fairy tale, this time with three raptors who are sisters and spend their time hunting anything that wanders in. Also like Kill the Farm Boy, it's heavy-handed with the angry humor and while it has excellent jabs, it lacks all subtlety
Khitty
This story was better on the second go-around. The second time, I was able to appreciate the humor, the lovely prose, and the way the author sets the description in the perspective of the characters: the raptors analogize their experience to eggs, predation, and feathers; the princess's analogies are of human activities.

The feminist themes are still unfortunately overpowering. All the men are incompetent or evil, and the princess and the raptors easily overtake them. I get that the meaning is th
Rachel
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this. So much. if you like feminist takes on fairy tales and Jurassic Park this might be for you! Definitely getting my vote for the hugos. The use of language to show it from a raptors world view was so fun, well done. As delightful as fresh pumping blood and sun-warmed grass naps. And sisters.
Silvana
Rating and review only for "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat" by Brooke Bolander.

2.5 stars rounded down. Well, I read at least two Bolander stories before and I liked them. This one, I am glad it's not like a Chuck Tingle story (though sounds like one). It's a cute tale about female empowerment, yet I feel the raptors were there just for gimmicks. Interesting, though.
Heather
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A special dinosaur themed edition of Uncanny Magazine (which I took out a subscription to this year)! This was a lot of fun and the stories were of a consistently high quality. My favourites were:

The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat by Brooke Bolander - an interesting twist on a traditional fairy-tale

By Claw, By Hand, By Silent Speech by Elsa Sjunneson-Henry & A. Merc Rusted - a deaf researcher creates a bond with a dinosaur she’s studying using
Adri Joy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
So the meat (ha ha) of Uncanny’s July/August issue all took place in a shared world full of portals and dinosaurs. Feathery dinosaurs, to be specific, although someone forgot to tell this issue’s cover artist (the otherwise irreproachable Galen Dara), so the dinosaur on the cover doesn’t have feathers. This is a shame because I personally feel I have an increasingly strong disconnect between my visual image of a dinosaur, which is the traditional Jurassic Park lizard thing, and my expectations o ...more
Samuel Lubell
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy, stories
The Washington Science Fiction Association has decided to alternate readings of Clarkesworld with readings of Uncanny Magazine for our sf magazine discussions. This was our first time reading Uncanny. Unfortunately, the way the magazine presents its stories online appears to be random. Normally this would not be a problem for a magazine that presents unconnected stories. But this issue was a special shared world dinosaur issue so the introduction that sets up the shared world should have been fi ...more
Ada Hoffmann
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
DINOSAAAAAAAUUUUURS!

I am delighted by the entire idea of this issue and most of the fiction does not disappoint. My favorite is "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat," which is an utterly goofy confection of a high-fantasy fairy tale, starring hungry velociraptors and a princess who is also a witch.

The shared-world premise of the issue opens itself both to obvious Jurassic Park fanfiction (most obviously in K.M. Szpara's "You Can Make A Dinosaur, But
A.J.
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hugos-2019
Story: The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat
Read for the 2019 Hugos

I really like stories that turn tropes on their heads. This one feels like an old-fashioned fairy tale. Or at least one told by a mother raptor to her kids. At least, I think the narrator is a raptor, it's hard to tell. Whatever it is, it's not human.

There are humans in this book, and they're not the typical fairy-tale ones. The Prince is (view spoiler)
Paul
The dinosaur issue of Uncanny Magazine! This is issue 23, the July/August issue of 2018. There were some good stories in here and they all were entertaining.

"By Claw, By Hands, By Silent Speech" by A Merc Rustad and Else Sjunnesson was a fantastic story about using sign language to communicate with a raptor.

Brooke Bolander’s "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat" was fantastic.

"Bones in the Rock" by R. K. Kalaw was a good read emotional read abou
Walter Underwood
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Any magazine is going to have things that grab me and things that don't, but I want to read more from two of these authors, and the article by Tobias Buckell (who I've read) was interesting.

"Bones in the Rock" by R. K. Kalaw just sucked me in. Only part of that was the great opening sentence, "I am hunting for my lover’s bones in the desert."

"Everything Under Heaven" by Anya Ow makes me want this to be a novella so I can read the rest. Now.

Kate
I like the fairy-taley voice of this story, and imagining myself as a tiny little nestling just popped out of my shell listening to the wise old grandraptor's stories. It's definitely got The Paper Bag Princess vibes but with more focus on the dragon (raptor sisters) which is a great change-up, I think.
Flinx
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Close to a folk or fairy tale in form, the story of the three raptor sisters is cute (not very cute) and giggly (not very funny). I have the feeling of a children's tale somehow but am still not terribly impressed. The fun/interesting fact is that the narrator seems to be some form of flying dinosaur telling the hatchlings about dinosaur-folklore legendary raptors.
Gretchen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: female-author
Rating is entirely for "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat", which I read online here: https://uncannymagazine.com/article/t...
Kest Schwartzman
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Tale of Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Meat Prince is a prize and a treasure. I haven't read the rest of the issue yet, but that one story is worth the price of admission.
Savannah
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating for: The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Review pending.
Merit
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I read, "Bones in the Rock," RK Kalaw.
JenniRae
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
by Brooke Bolander

Excellent and witty tale!
Virginie
Red Lizard Brigade - Sam J. Miller [★★★★☆]
You Can Make a Dinosaur, but You Can’t Help Me - K.M. Szpara [★★★☆☆]
Bones in the Rock - R.K. Kalaw [★★★☆☆]
By Claw, By Hand, By Silent Speech - Elsa Sjunneson-Henry & A. Merc Rustad [★★★★☆]
The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat - Brooke Bolander [★★★★★]
The Emigrants’ Guide to Oregon, California, and the Unknown - Brit E. B. Hvide [★★☆☆☆]
Give the People What They Want - Alex Bledsoe [★★★☆☆]
Nails in My Feet -
Marco
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat as part of my Hugo 2019 finalists read-a-thon. I had read another short story by this author in the past that I liked and I was curious to read more by the author. I was initially turned off by the title, but I soon change my mind as I started reading.
The story is very funny. It is set in a medieval alternative reality, where dinosaurs are still around and sentient and smart, and so are smart witches and
Jana
Review of "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat," posted at Fantasy Literature.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
In my day job, I am the Head of the Rare Books and Manuscript Library and Juanita J. and Robert E. Simpson Rare Book and Manuscript Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, one of the largest public university rare book collections in the country. I used to manage pop culture special collections that include the papers of over 70 SF/F authors at Northern Illinois University. I ...more

Uncanny Magazine (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 1: November/December 2014