Start by marking “The Goose Egg” as Want to Read:
The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg

From the author of Jumpstart's Read for the Record pick Quackers comes the story of Henrietta the Elephant, whose life goes from calm to chaotic when a baby goose comes to stay.

Henrietta likes her quiet life. A morning swim, a cup of tea--all is serene.

But everything changes when she bumps her head and winds up with a goose egg--a REAL goose egg. Henrietta tries to r
Published January 22nd 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Goose Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goose Egg

Miss Sarah
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An elephant who loves being alone finds a goose egg on his head that develops into a goose. Will he miss his alone time or like the new life filled with noise? Toddler and up
KC
After Henrietta bumps her head she realizes she gets a real goose egg. Delightful and sweet.
Kristina Jean Lareau
An adorably sweet read aloud.
Stefanie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henrietta nurtures her goose egg lump head. Sweet, gentle story of found family and how change isn't so bad.
Michele Knott
Sweet story about a an elephant who accidentally takes a gosling egg home... and the gosling imprints on the elephant. It's a perfect Mother Bruce story for the younger crowd.
Amanda Zirn Hudson
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story that will warm your heart. Absolutely beautiful illustrations! When Henrietta the Elephant "adopts" baby Goose, she does her best to raise her as a proper goose despite how noisy baby Goose makes Henrietta's once quiet home. Henrietta misses the quietness and is anxious for Goose to head off on her own but when the time comes and Goose is gone, Henrietta misses Goose terribly. Her quiet home is too quiet and she feels so lonely. One day Henrietta thinks she hears a goose honk but thinks ...more
Tasha
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Henrietta is an elephant who loved quiet. Most of all, she loved the lake and sinking below its surface into silence. She would get lost in her thoughts and just swim. But one day, she got too lost in her head and she banged it on a pole! She went home and discovered that she had a big lump, a goose egg, on her head. She bandaged the bump and stayed quiet until something on her head hatched open! She reached up and found a gosling. She tried taking the baby goose back to her nest, but the mother ...more
Barbara
From the author/illustrator of the equally pleasing Quackers, this picture book tells the story of an unexpected love and life-changing event. Henrietta is an elephant that enjoys her solitude. She has her daily routines in which she quietly savors life pleasures. When she goes for a swim in the lake one day, she is distracted and bumps her head. She thinks she has a goose egg on her noggin as the result of this mishap, but it turns out to be an actual goose egg. The egg hatches, and the gosling ...more
Read  Ribbet
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of an elephant named Henrietta that enjoys her quiet life until unexpected change happens. In this case, it is the accidental mothering of a baby goose. The elephant learns to cope and problem solve. When change happens again, the reader can see how it impacted Henrietta. Wong has wonderful word choices in describing the initial quiet life and how the word choices contrast later when the noise level ramps up. A great mentor texts for young writers. It's universal theme of the need to ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adorable story of mistaking identity and finding a new family. Henrietta is an elephant who loves quiet and solitude. One day, while swimming in the lake, she bonks her head on the dock and gets a literal and metaphorical goose egg on her head. The goose thinks Henrietta is her mother, and she has to figure out how to handle this new situation. The illustrations are absolutely adorable, and this sweet story will warm your heart. I loved it!
Mandy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Childrens picture book. A familiar story of an abandoned egg hatching and the baby bird imprinting on the adoptive mother. This one focuses on Henrietta, a dignified elephant who reads the paper and drinks tea from an actual teacup. I loved the illustrations--especially when Henritta painted her front half to look like a goose in order to teach the gosling what she needed to know.
Nanci Booher
Thanks to Edelweiss for advance access to this adorable book. Henrietta the elephant loved the quiet...so much so that one day she bonks her head while swimming underwater and gets a goose egg. A real goose egg actually. Henrietta suddenly finds herself mom to a baby gosling. What happens when it is time to teach the little goose how to behave like a goose????
Ashley Adkins
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy to read picture book with a cute story for young readers. Though I feel like I have read this type of story many times I thought the illustrations were create in how they portrayed the elephant helping the goose become a goose. Additionally, the illustrations were soft and reminded me of when I was a child. I also really liked the font that was used for the words on the pages.
Sheri
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story of an elephant coming up from swimming with a goose egg on his head. Literally, he takes care of the egg until it hatches and shows the goose how to fly and catch food and it leaves the nest and comes back with its own goslings. A story with a lot of heart and showing animals taking care of each other.
Great Books
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19-ages-3-5
Henrietta likes her quiet, serene life but everything changes when she bumps her head and winds up with a REAL goose egg which hatches into a noisy baby goose. Oh how her life has changed...
Reviewer 5
Kris
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just read this to a group of Kindergarten students and they were totally charmed. The artistic scenes when the elephant paints his face to look like a mama goose were so original. A fun story to share.
Kari
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Essentially Mother Bruce by Ryan Higgins with an elephant instead of a bear. All the elephant wants is peace and quiet, but becomes a mother to a goose.

It's cute, but Mother Bruce is better.
Marcie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did like this and feel there are so many books about cross-species parenting that this could pair with.
Flap your Wings - PD Eastman
Mother Bruce
even The Wild Robot

Or eggs that hatch with different animals.
Horton Hatches the egg

Bet there are more I can't think of right now.
Tina Hoggatt
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a tender, funny, beautifully imagined story that could be read as a parable of parenthood and grandparenthood. Love simple illustrations and an ingenious main character of an elephant. Wonderful read aloud.
Rachel
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss for advance access. This is a sweet book, I love the personality of the elephant, but this is a familiar story just told in a new way and I wish there had not been speech bubbles though, that distracted from the overall impact.
MaryLibrarianOH
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute book about an elephant that accidentally becomes a parent to a baby goose. It is a very cute story and I really liked all the work elephant did to teach the baby goose how to act like a goose. The pictures are small so it would make a better one-on-one story for elementary children.
Kelly
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the sweet little story and the illustrations were very nice.
Jacki
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I give this book extra points for the elephant-as-goose pictures.
Melissa
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
This is a cute story. I especially loved the swan disguise.
Kim
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute. Would pair with Mother Bruce.
Alyson
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Very cute story about imprinting! Could work for school age or older preschoolers
Heather
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is so sweet, great illustrations
Josiphine/Tessa
This is such a cute picture book!
Kelly
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, 2019
Love Liz Wong! I can relate to this story from living with family for several days while recuperating and then going home and realizing I miss the bustle. We'll see what I do to bring it back.
« previous 1 3 next »