Start by marking “Lubna and Pebble” as Want to Read:
Lubna and Pebble

Lubna and Pebble

In an unforgettable story that subtly addresses the refugee crisis, a young girl must decide if friendship means giving up the one item that gives her comfort during a time of utter uncertainty.

Lubna's best friend is a pebble. Pebble always listens to her stories. Pebble always smiles when she feels scared. But when a lost little boy arrives in the World of Tents, Lubna
Published March 5th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Lubna and Pebble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lubna and Pebble

Start your review of Lubna and Pebble
Jaidee
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children aged four and up and grown ups too
Recommended to Jaidee by: Calista
Shelves: five-stars-books
5 "empathic, gorgeous, perfect" stars !!

First of all a warm thank you to Calista whose children's book reviews always delight me especially the ratings of her very adorable niece and mischievious nephew.

My goodness ! Thank goodness ! I did not yet try to read this to cousin's children as I sobbed uncontrollably the first read, cried sweetly on the second read and was even tearful on the third read.

This little book in very few words provides children with a deep understanding of what it is
Calista
Another lovely book. The artwork is amazing. I can see this being nominated for a Caldecott. It makes loose allusions, but I think this is about a girl in a refugee camp, but it never says that. A girl ends up somewhere from a boat with her dad. They live in tents and she remembers her family. That is all pretty much alluded too. Lubna finds a pebble on the beach and she befriends it and draws a smile on the pebble. She tells it everything, her memories and fears and hopes. Eventually, another ...more
Beth
A beautiful, quiet story that addresses the refugee crisis with grace and dignity.
Morgan
Just beautiful. My heartstrings haven't been tugged this hard by an inanimate object with a crudely-drawn face since Wilson kept Tom Hanks company on a deserted island.
Barbara
This is a very simple book. A little girl, her father, and a refugee camp. Lubna finds a pebble and a felt-tip pen, gives Pebble a face, and gains a companion. The simple text, and beautiful drawings don't obscure a deep compassion for the plight of refugees around the world. The littlest victims are children who should have a home that is safe from danger and war. Sadly too many of them don't survive the journeys. This story offers hope as we see Lubna make a friend and enjoy the delights that ...more
Danielle
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow. A gripping story of coping and compassion.
Aliza Werner
A humbling take on the refugee story. When Lubna and her father are displaced, she seeks comfort, stability, and belonging in a pebble she finds. I love all this represents. As a stone, shell, and sand collector myself, bringing a piece of the lands I visit home with me builds a strong connection for me back to those places. In a place that is only temporary for Lubna, she’s holds tightly to this constant.
Dna
A heart-wrenching story about a little refugee girl named Lubna who finds much-needed comfort in a pebble -- aptly named Pebble -- that she calls her friend. Lubna learns the meaning of real friendship when a new boy arrives at the camp, friendless and scared as she once was. OH MY GOD I'M GONNA CRY!
Kimberly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A small and poignant glance into the lives of refugee children. Simultaneously painful and uplifting.
Michelle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right in the feels!
Leslie
Pebble, with its drawn-on eyes and smile, is Lubna’s best friend as they sailed to and arrived at the World of Tents (aka Refugee settlement). Even as her father keeps her close and warm and safe, Lubna keeps Pebble close, warm and safe. Between the two, she seems content. Pebble listens to Lubna’s stories with a comforting smile. Her father is a near constant: close-by, holding her, often smiling. His presence makes the loneliness of Amir’s arrival seem all the more stark.

When Amir arrives to
Rebecca
Lubna's best friend is Pebble...she "found it on the beach when they arrived in the night." This is the sweetest, saddest story I've read in a long time. Put it on your list for discussions about refugees. There is a lot happening between the lines and in the deceptively simple illustrations (Daniel Egneus) that will open conversation with kids. We all need a small thing to love, that listens.
Raven Black
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit romantic, but a lovely story of friendship. Unique illustrations both realistic and smidgen abstract. Grand colors
Jana
This beautifully illustrated story of friendship and sharing will really tug at heartstrings. But the stories of vulnerable people that have lost nearly everything, especially refugees fleeing from war and violence, really need to be shared. Young readers will certainly be able to relate to the little girl with her father, feeling scared and alone, and sharing those feelings with a friend. At first the girl finds a friend in a pebble, but then she finds a friend in Amir. Her friend, Amir, is ...more
Tatiana
When Lubna opened her eyes, it was morning. They had landed in a World of Tents.

Lubna, a young refugee, finds comfort and security in a pebble-friend as she and her father navigate displacement. Then Amir, a little boy going through what Lubna already experienced, arrives.

You know how it's easier to be brave when helping someone else? That's how it is for Lubna with Amir. Pebble pulls friendship double-duty.

Stunning illustrations, nay Art, steal the show. Subtle story-telling. What more could
Desiree
This book was wonderful. Lubna is a little girl who fled her home country on a boat with her dad. Her only other friend was her pet pebble. Pebble listened to her when she was sad, told stories about her family, or just needed a friend. Lubna realized the only way to combat loneliness is by sharing her pebble with someone else who needs it more than her. Lubna and Pebble is not only a story about immigration, but also a story about making friends when your life is not stable.
Nick Swarbrick
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A moving account of a child’s experience of friendship in the transitory world of a refugee camp, this is a perfect book to explore a number of issues without seeming preachy, with a well-paced text and pictures that show the world from the right size for a small person to identify with. The little girl finds meaning in the pebble she adopts, and she makes a human friend, too, in the traumatised boy to whom she grows close. But what will happen when it’s time to move on?
Andrew
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Lubna and her father reach the shore of a new home, she finds a pebble on the beach she becomes attached to. She tells her pebble everything, and Pebble becomes her closest friend. Lubna and Pebble is a beautiful story of how small things can bring us comfort in difficult times, and how we can pass on these comforts to others who need it, too. Gorgeous illustrations in calming colors.
Clementine
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tears were definitely streaming down my face as I turned the pages of this at my desk.

Gorgeous illustrations, simple text, and a timely, beautiful message. One of my favorite picture books of the year, hands-down.
robyn
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
simple, yet lovely.
Nadine Rosendale
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
made me cry
Peacegal
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quiet, beautiful, heartbreaking, and hopeful story that looks at the refugee experience through the eyes of one little girl. A gem.
Cat
4.5 stars.
Stefanie Kellum
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautifully illustrated tale of refugee children coping through imagination
Crystal
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I may have teared up at the desk while reading this.
Sara Cook
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lubna's story is heartbreaking and her pebble brings her peace. A lovely story of all the ways we can help each other.
Jillian Heise
Beautiful and touching story to add to the collection on refugee experiences. A bit predictable in plot, but powerful nonetheless.
Kimberly Wright Oelkers
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Could I give this book 6 stars? Book about being a refugee from the child's point of view. This book made me cry. Loved it so much!
Ben Truong
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lubna and Pebble is a children's picture book written by Wendy Meddour and illustrated by Daniel Egnéus, which centers on Lubna, a little girl, who navigates the challenges of being a refugee: keeping happy and passing the courage on.

Meddour's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. Written from Lubna's perspective, the narrative renders interactions between her and Pebble – her only friend in her situation. Egnéus' illustrations are rather spacious with soaring spreads, which depicts
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hair Love
  • The Proudest Blue
  • The Undefeated
  • Good Night, Wind
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Music for Mister Moon