Start by marking “When the Sky Fell on Splendor” as Want to Read:
When the Sky Fell on Splendor

When the Sky Fell on Splendor

The Serpent King meets Stranger Things in Emily Henry's gripping novel about a group of friends in a small town who find themselves dealing with unexpected powers after a cosmic event.

Almost everyone in the small town of Splendor, Ohio, was affected when the local steel mill exploded. If you weren't a casualty of the accident yourself, chances are a loved one was. That's t
Published March 12th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about When the Sky Fell on Splendor, please sign up.
Xantippa Amaya Not just you, I feel that too! That's actually why I want to reas this book, because I love "Super 8"! :)

شيماء ✨
Due to unfortunate circumstances (my boredom and the universe's tendency to endlessly aggravate me), I'm not really crazy about this book.

The one thing that could have really salvaged this novel is if it had its own version of Steve Harrington from Stranger Things who realizes that romantic love is fake and decides to redirect all of his overflowing care and affection by aggressively mothering a bunch of middle-schoolers. Oh, and gays.

For a potentially quick read, I slogged through the pages fo
emma
it is with great joy and absolutely zero surprise that I must tell you: Emily Henry has done it again.

this was so f*cking good I can hardly stand it.

review to come (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-----------------------

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'm reading it immediately.

-----------------------

THIS IS DESCRIBED AS THE SERPENT KING MEETS STRANGER THINGS.

AND IT'S BY EMILY HENRY.

the fact that it is not currently in my possession is my new least favori
Lala BooksandLala
Emily Henry does it again. 😍 With a perfect balance of real world intensity (with a focus on friendship and grief) and other worldly elements (supernatural entities and powers,) her latest novel is a real treat.
Emily
Jun 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A book about a bunch of weirdos who love each other but aren't always great at it.
C.G. Drews
This was a bit of solidly lovely mind-twistery and I really enjoyed it! It definitely had Stranger Things feel and was entirely focused on a friendship group that totally wins your heart over with their messy attitudes and loving hearts. Also there are maybe ALIENS and TRAUMA.

Full review to come! (And I'm on the Instagram Blog Tour next week!)
megs_bookrack
"The Serpent King meets Stranger Things..."

Sign me the F' up for that!

Brenda Waworga
I love Stranger Things, i also a huge fan of The Serpent King, i enjoyed A Million Junes.. so i was so sure i would love this book

But... nope... i just couldnt get into the story, the main character is weird and i was confused who is who the whole time, the pace was fast but i found some scenes were boring, in the end i feel like this book just wasnt for me

However i really love the ending, the plot twist make me gave this book 3⭐ other than 2⭐ i also like Emily's writing style
Brittany Cavallaro
This was such an amazing story about friendship and family and what happens after the worst possible thing happens. I loved this book so, so much. It's like the Super 8 / Stranger Things -- but make it more magic -- book of my dreams.
Amy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
It is my opinion and also a true fact that Emily Henry and her books are a gift to this world and I will not be accepting any counter-arguments at this time. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

*****
if this book could make its way into my hands asap that would be great thanks
Stacee
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I’m always here for anything Emily writes and after that comparison to Stranger Things, I was excited.

I really liked Franny and her group of ordinaries. Their dynamic and loyalty are fantastic. I’m a huge fan of friendships that are really found families and this one is done to perfection. I will admit to not being able to keep them all straight at first, but it was easy to settle in {especially because modifiers like Nick’s tattooed hands and Levi’s bright hats were always being used.}

Plot wis
Marhaba Gul
Jun 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: The Serpent King meets Stranger Things.

Me: *sold*
Justine
This starts out with a Super 8/Stranger Things vibe, but it's really not that kind of story. It isn't creepy SF; it's a story about friendships and families and loss, with an otherworldly element acting as a catalyst for these tangled relationships.

I didn't like this quite as much as I liked A Million Junes, but it did share some of the emotional elements I loved in that book. My main issue was that I did feel like I was supposed to think this was one kind of story when it was actually another.
Fatma
theyre really leaning into the stranger things aspect of this with that cover huh

(REGARDLESS IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS)
Giulia
"The six of us were destined to be alone, trapped in a grief we weren’t willing or able to share, but from then on, at least we were alone together."

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕

DNF @33%
Wow, 2019 isn't looking good as far as reading goes :/

Look fam, life is too short to read things I don’t care about.
And this is precisely the case.

I don’t think anybody is more shocked than I am right now.
But alas, there’s no need beating around the bush: for as much as I’ve read, I did not enjoy When the Sky Fell
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
So I recently devoured this book and omg, I should have read this book during daylight! 😭😂 It's not really scary at all, but it is packed with suspense and can totally see why it is pitched as The Serpent King meets Stranger Things! ✨ It's about a group of friends who get to witness something STRANGE while they trespass on private property in a small town called Splendor (in Ohio!). So many twists and turns, I can definitely say this book is a page-turner & would highly recommend! 😍💕📚 (Also ...more
Shanah
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this review and many others, please visit - https://bionicbookwormblog.wordpress.com

I’m not going to lie – the first thing that caught my attention with this book was the cover – look at it! It’s amazing! Instantly gave me The Goonies and Stranger Things vibes…. but with a space ship! LOL! And that’s kind of what happened. But then I noticed that it was written by Emily Henry and I got even more excited! So many bloggers have been talking about her and I’ve been wanting to read one of her bo
Parker Peevyhouse
I absolutely loved this book, so much so that I blurbed it:

When The Sky Fell On Splendor is eerie and intriguing, full of hold-your-breath moments and soul-wrenching reveals. I loved it not only for its thrilling glimpses of the supernatural, but also for its heartfelt portrayal of how true friendship can fill otherwise ordinary lives with splendor.

Hope you all will love Splendor as much as I do! :)
Alissa
So wait a minute... This one feels really familiar:

-A family recovering from a terrible tragedy...

- A group of movie-making-obsessed teens who sneak into a place they're not supposed to be in order to film their next masterpiece...and end up catching a mysterious (other-worldly) encounter on film...

-Friendship, Feels, and a paranormal investigation that brings them all together in the end and helps heal past hurts.

Yep. Definitely heard this story before. But Stranger Things has nothing to do wit
Aj Sterkel
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Likes: Look at me, reading a book right after it comes out. Usually my preorders sit on the shelf for a year before I get around to reading them. This one was too tempting to leave on the shelf.

When The Sky Fell on Splendor is a fast-paced story about six teens who became friends after a steel mill explosion. This could be a straightforward novel about grief and friendship, but it’s not. The author puts a creative spin on typical teen book topics. While the teens are filming a video one night, s
Alyson Kent
Awwh hell yeah
Lauren
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ugh, Emily! You genius. You emotional manipulator and mind tormentor! How do you write these amazing stories?? I am always surprised and awed! Yet another beauty from one of my favorite YA authors.
Peppermint
"Pitched as The Serpent King meets Stranger Things, this YA novel follows a group of friends in a small town who find themselves dealing with unexpected powers after a cosmic event."

I CAN'T BREATHE.
Don't you dare letting me down, book. Don't you dare.
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Aug 23, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOSH! THE COVER IS EVERYTHING I COULD IMAGINE AND MORE!!!
Skye Elizabeth
4.5 stars.

WOW. Whatever it is that you’re expecting based on the synopsis, I promise you that you are not adequately prepared.

This was engaging, funny, suspenseful... and, yes, I shed some tears. At its core this story is about friendship, and this group of friends is one of the best-written I’ve read in a long time. The characters are lovable in a real, down-to-earth way. The banter is crisp and humorous without seeming self-congratulatory about how witty it is. The imperfect relationships they
Shalini | Book Rambler
I didn't expect to love the book so much 😭 It's described as Stranger Things meets The Serpent King but with a sprinkling of alien conspiracy theories and a group of friends who are ordinary but they discover something extraordinary.
I couldn't stop turning the pages of the book so I had to finish the book in a day! It kept me up all night and I definitely won't recommend reading it at night🙈 I'd highly recommend you read this book if you're a fan of Stranger Things, The Serpent King and if you
Cristine Paquette
When the Sky Fell on Splendor is like a mix of stranger things and ET. Bored youth in a nothing town stumble upon something that fell from the sky and will give them something extraordinary in a life that was always ordinary.

I think if this is your first Emily Henry book, you’ll love it. It is beautifully written with a unique and beautiful idea... that’s the same as a million Junes. I did like this book better. I just predicted what was happening since it was already done in her prior book and
morgan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
(Follow @morganreadsalot on Instagram for more reviews)
Thank you @razorbill and @penguinrandomhouse for this free copy

I’m going to be real honest here, I have LOVED both of Emily Henry’s previous two books; The Love That Split The World, and A Million Junes. I recommend them to people all the time, and consistently lend them out to people as the perfect mix of magical realism, schmoop, real issues, dreamy love interests, and strong as hell female leads. So, clearly I went into this one with hig
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hello Girls
  • Happily and Madly
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Good Luck Girls
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • The Kingdom
  • Dealing in Dreams
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Truly Madly Royally (Point Paperbacks)
  • No One Here Is Lonely
  • The Best Lies
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World #1)
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Dig
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)