Start by marking “There Are No Bears in This Bakery” as Want to Read:
There Are No Bears in This Bakery

There Are No Bears in This Bakery

The creator of the New York Times bestselling The Bear Ate Your Sandwich brings us another sly story of a hungry bear and a smooth-talking narrator.

A tough gumshoe of a cat--the name's Muffin--protects his territory: The Little Bear Bakery. But there are no bears here. Not on Muffin's watch.

One night, Muffin hears a suspicious noise. Mouse? Raccoon? Bat? Nope, not the us
Published January 8th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about There Are No Bears in This Bakery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are No Bears in This Bakery

Calista
My niece read this one to me out loud. She is really getting good at reading. She did well. I love Julia Sarcone’s writing. She has some great turns of phrase and my niece noticed. We also laughed out loud at this book. My niece is quick, let me tell you.

“..after the sun rolled off the edge of the sky..” isn’t that lovely. My niece said, “that’s not the usual way to say things is it. She liked it. Next “I slipped into the darkness like icing melting down a hot cake.” She thought that sounded yu
Chance Lee
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
A fun noir mystery featuring an adorable cat detective as orange as fresh-squeezed juice who lives in a town where bats regularly torment people at the barber shop. The text is packed full of similes like a donut dripping with jelly.
Kayla
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So so fun! This would be great to use to teach simile and metaphor, as the book is chock full of them!
Kristina Jean Lareau
A wry sense of humor, acrylic illustrations that have a "golden book" feel, and great use of white space make for a great book.
Rebecca
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This would be a fun one for anyone who does story times. Looking at you, library friends.
pati
I don't know that a cat would make that kind of mess...it must have been a bear!
Tasha
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The author of The Bear Ate Your Sandwich has returned with a second book about a hungry bear (or two.) Muffin is a bakery cat who solves cases when night falls. He knows all of the night sounds until one night when he hears a “grrrrrrrr” noise. At first he can’t locate the noise, but when he returns to the bakery he discovers the largest mouse he has ever seen! Or perhaps it’s the smallest bear. The sound is coming from the little bear’s stomach. Muffin knows just what to do to solve the problem ...more
Jana
Fans of detective stories will get a kick out of this cute picture book. Muffin the cat keeps an eye on everything that goes on in the neighborhood. But when a strange noise comes from the open window of the Little Bear Bakery, Muffin doesn't hesitate to investigate. When the cat discovers a hungry little bear in the middle of all of the tasty baked treats, the cat gets busy solving the problem. Young readers will giggle as they see how the cat takes care of the problem. This would be a fun way ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute and funny book of animals with excuses. A cat "bravely defends" a bakery from a bear attack...or so it claims. This book is better suited for slightly older kids who will pick up on the subtle humor. I might have liked the bear ate your sandwich slightly more, but I am a dog person. Still, this is pretty great fun.
Bethany
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Prep for this summer's Reading Buddies

Slightly below meh.
Peacegal
Silly, colorful book tells the story of a guard cat who makes sure there are no bears in his bakery...after they've chowed down on the doughnuts, of course.
Nick
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Have you ever read a book that is absolutely beautiful, but features a terrible idea of the "don't do this at home" variety? This is one of those. No, really, feeding bears in this manner isn't a great idea, but most cats probably don't know that. Bears should NOT be encouraged to do the things they do in this story, not even if they really like sugar sprinkles.
Muffin is a delightful cat who lives in a bakery. She knows the world around that bakery, and the noises that occur at night, only...thi
Bethe
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a bakery guard cat and a chance visit to the bakery. Great end pages and case cover art.
Margie
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when a declaration is emphatically stated not once but repeatedly, you begin to wonder about its truth. Perhaps it's all about perspective rather than veracity. You realize an exploration of facts is necessary before you can agree.

Other times a statement will catch you by surprise. It seems completely out of place in the context it is made. There Are No Bears in This Bakery (Alfred A. Knopf, January 8, 2019) written and illustrated by Julia Sarcone-Roach is one of those assertions. Whe
Barbara
Muffin is a great watch cat, always on the case while her human companion is sleeping. She guards the bakery and the neighborhood and loves solving mysteries. When she discoveries a hungry bear cub, she helps it and its mother munch on the bakery treats inside the case windows. Then, after they have eaten their fill, she sends them on their way. It seems that Muffin loves some of the sweets as much as those bears. Boy! Is the shop keeper in for a surprise in the morning as shown in the last illu ...more
Gabrielle Stoller
Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this book. It just was not one of my favorites. The end papers are truly delightful. Seeing a bakery filled with delicious treats....what is not to love!!

It's the story of Muffin the Cat who knows all the noises in the bakery until one night.....but what is it? And what is going to happen??

To the adult, it's predictable. Even to the kindergarten kids I read it to they knew what was going on. And the story did feel a bit....abrupt. All of a sudden i
Rebecca
This is quite hilarious -- both the illustrations (acrylic paint, cut paper, and marker) and the text (which contains a lot of fun similes, such as "I slipped into the darkness like icing melting down a hot cake"). If you own a cat or know a cat, you will recognize Muffin's poses, expressions, and surprised tail. Julia Sarcone-Roach has written several picture books, including "The Bear Ate Your Sandwich."
Maria Marshall
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
The story begins before the title page and you get a definite hint of the voice and personality of Muffin. Each night, rising with the moon and the bread, Muffin is on the case identifying all of the neighborhood noises. Until one night, when an unfamiliar sound leads Muffin to the open bakery window. Sounding like Sam Spade, Muffin investigates ("I slipped into the darkness like icing melting down a hot cake") and discovers the "biggest mouse I had ever seen."
After discovering it's really a bab
KC
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bears enter a bakery where they don't belong and cat needs to help them.
Jessica
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't miss that the story starts before the title page.
Heather
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Man, I don't want to be one of those people. The kind that gets uptight about the plots of make-believe picture books. But given the number of incidents of people who have no clue how to interact with wildlife in our National Parks, I must say PLEASE DON'T FEED BEARS. I loved Yogi Bear as a kid so it was easy to love this story of a cub and Mama Bear who raid a bakery for a midnight snack and the watch cat who lets them. Or you know, a cat who makes a mess and blames it on a pair of imaginary be ...more
Rebecca Ann
Spoiler alert-There ARE! This book is soooo adorable and sweet. The artwork feels very fresh and artistic with lots of movement and shadow. The cat goes on a sometimes scary, but harmless adventure and makes new friends. I do feel bad for the baker...
Talia Smart
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Muffin the cat watches over Little Bear Bakery at night. He knows all the familiar sounds: the mice in the alley, the raccoons in the dumpster, the bats in the sky. But never has Muffin ever heard a bear in the bakery--until tonight. Rich, expressive illustrations make this book as delicious as a fresh donut. With sprinkles!
Annalisa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eb
Fantastic vocabulary. I loved that it worked in sounds and lots of great imagery, both sensory and through similes. This book skews a bit older than the kids I usually get at programs, but I will definitely keep this book in mind because of the great language it promotes.
Steve H
If Sam Spade had a cat named Muffin and bears were near a bakery in city, this might be his story. Quite fun. Not sure young kids will get the noir-detective vibe, but hopefully the folks reading the story will and will figure out what type of voice to give Muffin.
Krysta
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I loved Muffin the cat and her fearless friendship.
Krissy Neddo
Will give this to teachers looking to teach simile, point of view, and the five senses. Personally, a bit too much simile here for me with "like" almost every other page. But perfect for teachers to use K-4 for descriptive writing and "write what you know".
Hillary
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My little boy adores cats, so I had to get this book for him. The pictures are engaging and fun, the ratio of text to picture is spot on, and the story is really cute. This would be a great book for teaching what simile is, as it is filled with memorable, humorous comparisons. The end made me giggle.
Erin
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a new sound coming from the bakery! It isn't the usual squeak of the mice, clang crash of the raccoons or flap flap of the bats, what could it be? Have no fear, Muffin the Cat is on the case! I love the illustrations in this book, they show us the world as Muffin sees it with soft lines and lots of shadows. I think older preschoolers and young elementary age kids will really enjoy this book.
Elizabeth Vazquez
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable. Perfect for a k-2 read aloud
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Caring for Your Lion
  • My Pet Wants a Pet
  • Sir Simon: Super Scarer
  • This Is a Serious Book
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • The Very Fluffy Kitty, Papillon (Papillon, #1)
  • Cookiesaurus Rex
  • Marigold Bakes a Cake
  • Hawk Rising
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Love, Z
Julia Sarcone-Roach's animated short Call of the Wild has shown at numerous film festivals around the world. She attended the Rhode Island School of Design. This is her first book. Julia Sarcone-Roach lives in Brooklyn, New York.