Start by marking “Orexi!: Feasting at the modern Greek table” as Want to Read:
Orexi!: Feasting at the modern Greek table

Orexi!: Feasting at the modern Greek table

A collection of over 80 classic and modern recipes from chef Theo Michaels; paying homage to his heritage whilst championing new modern dishes inspired by the flavors of Greece and Cyprus.

Kali orexi is the Greek equivalent of bon appétit and this enticing book will certainly whet your appetite! Organized in chapters entitled Meze, Sea, Land, Sun and Fire, Theo's recipes ev
Published April 9th 2019 by Ryland Peters Small

To ask other readers questions about Orexi!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orexi!

Start your review of Orexi!: Feasting at the modern Greek table
M.C.V. Egan
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Good cookbooks often have recipes that are tempting and easy to follow. Images that make the dishes appetizing. A variety in dishes.
GREAT COOK BOOKS have that and more. Orexi is such a cookbook. The photos make my mouth water. The recipes are easy to follow and enticing.
Before I read OREXI from cover to cover I liked Greek food, NOW I love it!
MasterChef UK’s Theo Michaels is clearly cooking from a place of love and understanding of his family’s culture. While adding his unique perspective and
Lynda Dickson
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Greece, whether you want to cook or not.
Shelves: nonfiction
The book’s title, Orexi!, comes from the Greek Kali Orexi!, meaning good appetite. In this cookbook, you will discover over 80 Greek and Cypriot-inspired recipes from the author’s childhood memories, his work in professional kitchens, and time spent cooking for family and friends. “The Greek diet is regarded as one of the healthiest in the world, largely due to the high content of vegetables, fruit, grains, pulses, seafood, olive oil and also fermented dairy foods like live yogurt and feta chees ...more
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently have started picking up cookbooks to use to help get the family involved in the kitchen. I picked this one but everyone in the family helped pick and prepare the recipes we made. We made Orzo, Roasted Tomato & Feta Salad, Spinach & Feta Balls with Watermelon, Greek Salad, Greek New Potato Salad, Creamy Chicken Risotto with Crispy Crackling, and Halfway 'Pastitsio'. All the directions were easy to read and follow. Of course some of the recipes were easier then others to make. My favori ...more
Janet

A collection of over 80 classic and modern recipes from chef Theo Michaels; paying homage to his heritage whilst championing new modern dishes inspired by the flavours of Greece and Cyprus.

Kali orexi is the Greek equivalent of bon appétit and this enti
Teresa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me start of by saying I started drooling on the cover and did not stop until I was through this book. The photos of the dishes in this book could make anyone drool. I love Greek food. There is a restaurant in St. Augustine Florida I love to visit they have authentic Greek food and it is to die for. With this book I won't have to drive an hour and a half to get it, I can just walk to my kitchen.

There are tons of recipes in this book. Some even have variations. The Tempura Vegetables are one
Samantha
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, food-drink
Seven lovely chapters of Greek and Cypriot-inspired recipes. It has an introduction and then a further introduction at the beginning of each of the chapters. The seven chapters are split into Yoghurt & pita, Meze, Sea, Land, Sun, Fire and Sundowners.

The Yoghurt & pita chapter explains how to make your own plain yoghurt and a couple of flatbreads. Meze is a chapter of recipes of shared plates, much like the idea of spanish tapas, of which they could be a fish dish, vegetables or meat.

The Sea chap
Ulyana
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly adored reading my way through Michaels’ Orexi, swept along by the summery Greek sea breeze and joyous sounds of a tableful of feasting family and friends which almost oozes from every vibrant page.. this book is a love story, a life story and, above all, a celebration of food as something almost sacred - filled with memories, honouring nature’s cycles and seasons, and alive with the ability to bring people together to share a meal, a chat and a laugh.

Michaels’ writing style is nostalgic
Polly Krize
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Such a valuable cookbook for anyone wanting to learn the right way to prepare Greek food. Wonderful photographs and well-explained recipes. Recommended.
Effie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos and easy recipes.
Charul Palmer-Patel
Meg Dean
Sep 16, 2019
Leyla Johnson
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will bring the sunshine back into your cooking. A big book with lots of Greek and Cypriot recipes to cook from the heart. The photos are fabulous and the recipes are easy. The ingredients are given only as a good cook can, to encourage a taste in what one is making. I love the fact that it has a pinch of this, or a handful of that, rather than the precise amounts which so stifles creativity and the taste buds.
The book is divided into big sections on Pita and yogurt, meze, fish, meat, v

• Bazaar: Vibrant vegetarian and plant-based recipes
  • Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly (Hercule Poirot, #45.7)
  • The Yellow Bird Sings
  • Fodor's Essential Greece: with the Best Islands (Full-color Travel Guide Book 1)
  • The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister (Perry Mason, #42)
  • Ketotarian: The (Mostly) Plant-Based Plan to Burn Fat, Boost Your Energy, Crush Your Cravings, and Calm Inflammation
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover  (The Perry Mason Mysteries Book 1)
  • One August Night
  • Those Who Are Loved
  • Erotica Romana
  • Falastin: A Cookbook
  • Dead Man's Folly (Hercule Poirot, #33)
  • Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #40)
  • All About Cake
  • Ancient Greek History 101
  • Delish Insane Sweets: Bake Yourself a Little Crazy: 100+ Cookies, Bars, Bites, and Treats
  • The Shadow King
  • Creating Loving Attachments: Parenting with PACE to Nurture Confidence and Security in the Troubled Child
Born in London, comes from a large Greek Cypriot family, married with three kids and understands the reality of cooking for the family!

Has a philosophy of cooking ‘elegant village food’ taking inspiration from humble ingredients and ‘eating like a villager’.

Always weaves people, family and life into food; it’s all about breaking bread and spending time together with food and the making of dishes a