Start by marking “Black Snow Falling” as Want to Read:
Black Snow Falling

Black Snow Falling

In 1592, a girl with spirit is a threat.
Ruth has secrets. An old book of heresy belonging to her long-absent father. A dream that haunts her. A love that she and Silas hide from the world.
When she is robbed of all she holds true, her friends from Crowbury slide into terrible danger. Hope is as faints as a moonbow. Dare Ruth trust the shadowy one who could destroy them all?
Published August 1st 2018 by Scotland Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Snow Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Snow Falling

Start your review of Black Snow Falling
Emily Prince
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this twisting, dark fairytale, rooted in a vividly realised period of history. The combination of science and astronomy with magic and dreams was a tricky concept to balance, and LJ MacWhirter manages it beautifully. Ruth is a heroine every young woman should have the chance to read about, and hopefully this will not be the last we see of her. In the meantime, I can't wait to read what MacWhirter conjures up next!
Walt Faulkner
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a humdinger of a novel, and a real treat. As a not too frequent reader of YA, this nevertheless caught my eye (literally - it's a thing of beauty in itself and shimmers & winks at you from the shelves).

There's so much going on in these 200 odd pages (historical/fantasy can often be unnecessarily over-long) and so many strands cleverly woven in - the well researched historical elements stand out, yes, but there's the beautifully understated romance between principal protagonist, the savv
Andrew Lindsay
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been lucky enough to read Black Snow Falling multiple times at a number of points through its development and I feel extremely privileged because of that. I first read the book when I was handed a copy of the manuscript by Jean Findlay of Scotland Street Press. She knew I was a fan of fantasy and science-fiction and so she asked if I’d like to read it and give my opinion. So, I put my head down to read it and forty minutes later looked up and I was already six chapters deep with no idea whe ...more
Judith Morrow
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Black Snow Falling’ is an imaginative and artistic story with fresh, new characters that are part of an intriguing storyline that draws the reader into the mystical world of Britain’s past. The blend of aspects of historic life, along with the mysterious creatures and complex characters creates an ingenious piece of work that is a pure joy to read for both teenagers (such as I) and adults.
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Black Snow Falling by L J Macwhirter pushes the boundaries of imagination, superbly crafted, multi-layered, a book of hope for our dark times, a book that will endure. This book is set to become a classic for all ages.
Sarah Broadley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Black Snow Falling takes the reader on a journey into a dark world of hopes and dreams. Living in despair, Ruth, the main character, is determined to live her life her own way and not by the wishes of her cold and callous step-mother. With her dad away she finds her only escape in her forbidden love with Silas, a man deemed beneath her status.

Ruth stumbles from one dream to the next, allowing her subconscious to take her places she fears, only to be forced on into the darkness afraid of what li
Anna
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on my blog here https://itsannazoe.wordpress.com/2018...)

Today is the publication day of ‘Black Snow Falling’, a historical-fantasy novel by L. J MacWhirter, and I was lucky enough to receive an advance reader copy by Scotland Street Press, in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve always been honest on here about what kind of genres I generally enjoy more than others and to continue in that vein, I would never have picked historical fiction or fantasy as my favourites. But
Michele
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, deeply engaging tale with some fascinating characters and a compelling mythology. I never wanted it to end.
Luna
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a cover-based purchase. As a physical object, this book is stunning. The silver parts are embossed and it's just beautiful. Plus, when I read the back, it seemed to be a historical fiction YA based on heresy -- yes! sign me up!

Unfortunately, it really didn't live up to the cover for me. The narrative was unoriginal. Like, how many medieval fantasy stories are there are about a girl who falls for the stable hand? An evil, gold-digging stepmother who wants to marry her off to an old man?
Tom Morrow
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Black Snow Falling was such a joy to read. A fresh new idea with brilliant characters. The story was both gripping and an emotional journey. A great book to lose yourself in a few hours. Looking forward to more from the author, and more from this new mythology!
Ruth Colley
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to get an advance copy of" Black Snow Falling" by Liz Macwhirter and started reading on the way to the canaries. Snow in the sun. ❄☀️❄☀️❄☀️❄
I could not put it down. I fell in love with Jude from chapter one and needed someone to rescue him. He needed justice. Ruth was like every girl whoever hoped for knowledge, true friendship, adventure ,romance and true love.💜
The writing was so poetic in parts it was as if Crowbury , the village , the church and the Hall were painted in wate
Arleta Blackley-Wiertelak
Personally this is not a type of book for me.
It is very dark and depressing.
Yes in some point probably past page 60 or 70 the absolute grim and depressing description get a bit of life added to it by introduction of faster paced development.

There is absolutely not even ounce of humour in this book. The action even when developed into something what might be seen as slightly more positive is still full of darkness.

I can see why some people appreaciate it.
The book is dairly well written and ha
YALMC
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leah
Before I even opened the book, I was hooked: secrets, heresy, black snow, a girl with spirit, dream thieves, hope. The premise felt simultaneously new and fresh as well as deeply rooted in the past — no small feat!

A time slip novel, the story opens with Jude’s dream being stolen, with dire consequences for his life, before transporting us to Ruth, some fifty years in the ‘future’ (it’s difficult to call 1592 the future). Ruth lives with her stepmother, stepsisters and an array of servants. Her f
Christiana Cameron
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-my-bookshelf
I enjoyed about two thirds of this book; the cover is beautiful and the story at the start keeps you guessing and really does draw you in. The idea is unique and the way the author wants to make you feel about the characters is portrayed well. However, the last 30% of the book feels very rushed to me, there doesn’t seem to be much depth in the development and everything seemed to happen too quickly without much questioning on Ruth’s part. It had the potential to be great, and much of it was, yet ...more
Mary Judy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An eerie, atmospheric Elizabethan fantasy, Black Snow Falling is deep, dark and authentic. The plot is woven with care and complexity. With an genuine sense of history, it creates a unique mythology and imaginative world and tightly holds the reader in its' icy grip. The characters are believable, compelling and fit within their context perfectly. While the story touches on very contemporary concerns; forced marriage, sexism, abuse and class issues; it stays firmly within its' time and place. Th ...more
Helen Ashforth-Foster
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book doesn't really know what it wants to be -fable or fantasy. It also doesn't know whether it wants to be YA or an adult book. The main issue is that too many ideas are crammed into the story especially in the 2nd half. Some storylines - such as Silas and Ruth's relationship- feel underdeveloped and are just quickly wrapped up at the end of the novel. Other characters suffer from lack of characterization - such as Godrick and are mentioned only a few times but are important or are mention ...more
Caroline Kirk
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The book had so much potential to be great but (possibly a mistake on my part) I had expected a book for adults where as this is clearly aimed at teens. Maybe the placement in the general book shop at the Edinburgh book festival was a mistake and it should have been in teen/young adult next door in the kids tent? Anyway as a result I found the pace, lack of depth and general writing not to my liking. HOWEVER IF I had picked it up KNOWING it's level I might have enjoyed it more.
BranPap
Overall: 3/5 Stars. While the prose and world contained within the book are enchanting and haunting, the mythos is left too unexplored, and the pacing of the second half of the novel detracts considerably from what could have been an original, bewildering historical fantasy novel. Simply put, it’s too short.

Find my full review on my blog
Christina
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read, eve if it could do with some improvements in plot imo. My only comment is that there really wasn’t any point in setting this story in 1592, since the historical period didn’t have anything to do with 2/3 of the book which was clearly fantasy. It would have been the same whether it was set on 1500, 1860 or 1910, and the main reason I chose to read this was because it was set in during Elisabeth reign.
Caroline Deacon
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an imagination. LJ MacWhirter has created a fully thought out world peopled with interesting characters facing huge challenges. I felt fully immersed in the middle ages, and yet also in the fantasy world which intruded into those times. Somehow that collision felt ok when we understood the huge scientific challenges to the world view the society was facing.
Darby Cupid
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Stunning cover and a good premise, but I just couldn’t get into it. There didn’t seem to be enough dialogue and I never really got a feel for who the characters were. Some lovely description of scenery, however.
(Two typos towards the end too!)
Ophelia
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I fell in love with the blurb but when you open it up it’s like finding a whole new world. Your book took me on a journey in which I couldn’t put the book down. I highly recommend this book. I love the dark fairytale twist especially.
Kate Callaghan
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I’ve read all year!! So beautifully written would highly recommend to any fairytale lovers!
Anna Roberts
Jan 21, 2019
Katherine Orr
Dec 20, 2019
Susanne
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2019
Bruna De
Dec 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Narrow Path: Daily Readings With Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4)
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • Places in the Darkness
  • The Dollmaker
  • Evernight
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods #1)
  • Pet
  • Ness
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)
  • The Walled City
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • Waiting for the Mahatma
  • My Name is Monster
  • The Mercies
  • Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1)