Start by marking “The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament” as Want to Read:
The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament

The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament

Lament helps us hear God's louder song.

When you're in the midst of suffering, you want answers for the unanswerable, resolutions to the unresolvable. You want to tie up pain in a pretty little package and hide it under the bed, taking it out only when you feel strong enough to face it. But grief won't be contained. Grief disobeys. Grief explodes. In one breath, you may be
Published February 5th 2019 by NavPress Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Louder Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Louder Song

Start your review of The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament
Tara Nichols
I (very gratefully) received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

When I pick up a book like this I want it to do two things: 1) be authentic and vulnerable in its storytelling; and 2) give me solid and well-researched theology. The Louder Song does both of these things so beautifully. It explores the concept of lament through personal stories and Biblical models. Aubrey is candid about her own pain and journey into lament, and though she absolutely points to hope and restoration, she doe
Leslie - Shobizreads
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC copy of this book which is all about “Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament.”
Aubrey endears herself to the reader with her raw honesty about her own pain. She dives into what grief does to us physically, emotionally, spiritually and relationally. This book isn’t about providing a cheery, cliched outlook to balance the scales of grief into something positive. It’s all about the work of facing the chronic, devastating and open-ended pain that we en
Bethany
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio.

This book surrounds a topic that largely makes us (American Christians) uncomfortable.

Sampson does a great job of inviting others to share laments out of hardship, addressing suffering and tragedy through the lens of Scripture, and teaching us how to give hope (to others and ourselves) without being trite.

Favorite concepts:
1) Leaders often don't have (make?) space for lament. They are used to being in control. Lament appears to be for the weak. They need to look strong. (This is one I'
Michele Morin
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written by real people with genuine feelings–often worn closer to the surface than this stoic New Englander might like–the Bible gives voice to a full range of emotions. There is plenty of joy, lots of celebration, and this has found its way into our worship. However, we are less comfortable with the practice of biblical lament:

David wails his abandonment and anguish of soul;
Jeremiah mourns the demise of true righteousness and the fall of his nation;
Hannah’s weeping is so out of control that she
Lindsey
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I've stayed so focused on my what-might-have-beens, I've neglected to see how God is blessing me now--in and even through this pain...This is how I'll finally arrive at that elusive place called acceptance--by watching for, noting, gathering instances of hope and joy in one hand, even while wrestling with my darkest hours in the others."

This book spoke to me so much and I know it will to you too. Aubrey is brave and vulnerable enough to share some of the deepest pain from her own life and how
Breanna Chov
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book to read in the valleys, when something in your life “changes the game,” when getting out of bed is a triumph in itself.

The Louder Song is an invitation to feel, to move beyond the pretending things are okay, and to finally be honest with the Lord. Aubrey, thank you for this invitation, thank you for helping me okay with the emotions, and for helping me see the “yet”.

“All laments lead to the truest form of worship- the worship of God alone. Not of God and blessings, not God and b
Kate
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so glad to receive an ARC of this beautiful book. Having recently walked through a season of loss, grief, and deep pain, I was particularly moved by Aubrey’s stories, wise words, and gentle direction on the Spiritual Discipline of lament. In her words, “When the only thing you can sense is God’s absence, lament is the rope that will keep you tethered to his presence. Lament helps you hold on to God because it’s an honest form of worship and communication with him.”

We all have much to bene
Catherine McNiel
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are too many books out there that speak of pain and suffering as cliches, failing to offer true and present help for those in the midst of it. The Louder Song is not that kind of book. Aubrey is a storyteller, who grounds the narrative of her life in thoughtfully wrestled Biblical truth, Christian theology, and an impressively well-read canon of Christian writings. Refusing to either deny or wallow in pain, Aubrey points us to lament, God's provision for grief, and looks towards the Louder ...more
Afton Rorvik
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book opens with the powerful description of a concert in a dark, small theater. Choir members dressed in black begin with a slow, ancient funeral dirge while images of poverty and pain show on a screen. But then a second choir quietly surrounds the audience and begins to sing over them a U2 refrain, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." This second choir gets louder and more intense and moves on to other songs, including one that states, "I believe in the Kingdom Come . . . you brok ...more
Pam Ecrement
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I say the word lament, many persons today may raise their eyebrows and wonder what book I am reading from another era. The word lament is not a common one in our modern vocabulary, but perhaps it should be.

Aubrey Sampson introduces the reader to a greater understanding of lament in her latest book, The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament that will be released on February 5. Page by page Aubrey shares her own journey with lament and how it serves help to us as we grieve whet
Fay Jacobsohn
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, when I first saw this book, I thought, “Oh, no! Not another book on suffering.” But I was pleasantly surprised and even fascinated by this book. It is a book on laments and how we can find hope in the midst of our laments.

I didn't realize that there were so many laments in Scripture and that we can cry out our own laments to God—why God? How long, God? etc. Often laments in Scripture end with a song of hope and faith in God and we can find ourselves doing the same—resolving to t
Abigail Westbrook
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This book is exactly what I needed to read right now. The author’s honesty is refreshing and so relatable - and the hope she gives is real and truly uplifting. SO good! I’m reading a library copy but want to buy my own now so I can reread it and highlight all my favorite sections. Also looking forward to doing the study section in the back.
Katherine Jones
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for every Christian woman who has known grief, loss, and heartache. And who hasn't?
Jamie Holloway
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend especially if you have a chronic illness. Powerful book...
Linda
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much wisdom in this book, whether you are the person suffering through unspeakable grief and pain or the walking with someone else in that season. After receiving an advanced copy of the book, I read it quickly with a number of friends in mind who are suffering through the toughest things in life. But then Aubrey's words spoke to me with the language of lament for losses I still carry. Hers is a hopeful message.
Dorothy Greco
In the spirit of Kate Bowler's Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I've Believed and Soong-Chan Rah's Prophetic Lament, Aubrey Sampson understands that things aren't always resolved quickly or easily and God doesn't always answer our prayers the way we expect or want. Aubrey helps those of us who can't shake chronic pain, illness, infertility, disappointment etc. to find comfort and companionship in Christ. Excellent book. Devoid of pat answers or shame.
Nicole T.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re like me, you never lingered too much on the parts of Scripture that focus on suffering. We all want to rush on to the good stuff, the victory. But then when we find ourselves in the midst of suffering (of our own or others) we fumble through the words to express the pain without dismissing the reality of it. We need someone to tell us God can handle our doubts, that not rushing on is okay, and that yes—hope will come, but not without walking through the place we find ourselves first.

Au
Diane Busch
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
I highly recommend this book, especially to all Christ followers. It is eye opening and comforting. Part of the human experience is grief, suffering, sadness, disappointment, etc. and sometimes we don’t know how to reconcile all that with the good God we love and serve. Sampson teaches us about “lament”, possibly a forgotten word in our vocabularies.

Through Sampson’s own experiences and what Jesus has taught her, she can speak into our lives with raw emotion and honesty. She gently shares what s
Jessie Young
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first words of this book I knew it would be a good one... definitely not an easy one but a necessary one... one that would help bring beauty out of brokenness. One that says, you know those ugly feelings you have? Those questions you wrestle with? All that stuff should be laid at the foot of the cross. Bring it to Jesus. He wants the good the bad and the ugly... he wants all of us!
Ms. Sampson clearly, with grace and compassion, lays out what lament is, how it can be done, why it sh
Cindy Navarro
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all go through periods of suffering, whether physical, emotional, spiritual, or psychological. In The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament, author Aubrey Sampson addresses the various forms of grief through her own personal pain and stories of others.

The message that spoke to me was about ignoring our pain by covering it with distractions to deflect attention from our suffering. Many rush past the examples of lament in the Bible, preferring the times of joy. Yet, the lament
Patricia
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aubrey Sampson teaches that it’s not only ok to experience times of lament, she invites us to see lament as a sacred practice. As a way of experiencing our connectedness to one another during times of grief and loss. She shows how acknowledging and honoring the practice of lament can play a significant role in our journey toward healing. She offers ways to lament well, and suggests that it is a way of loving ourselves and others who are dealing with grief. Not to eliminate the pain, but to be tr ...more
Lauren Sparks
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book #4 of 2019. I now agree with the author 100% when she wrote, “In my youthful naivete’ I believed that hardships were supposed to be the exception to life, not the rule. But suffering is not an exception, after all. It’s not a surprise. It’s not an interruption to an otherwise easy life. The older I get, the more I realize that no person is untouched by some level of pain and heartache, big or small.” I believe we, the global church, have a skewed idea of what it means to “Rejoice in the Lor ...more
Keri Brewster
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A soul filling book from someone who's been there

I rarely find a book that my soul connects with or that I find healing from outside of the Bible. This book, if you have chronic pain or love someone who does, is both a call to action and gentle reassurance that we are not alone but that it's okay to grieve what you're going through and to bring ALL of that to the Lord.

As I was reading it, I felt like she knew exactly what I deal with and that how I was feeling was not only normal but expected a
Sharla Fritz
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Louder Song meets readers in the pain and ache of life. It answers the question of what to do when you're in a period of Suffering and Not Yet. No cliches or easy answers here. Instead, author Aubrey Sampson leads readers to learn the concept of lament--the rope that keeps us tethered to God's presence.
Throughout the book, Sampson weaves stories of her own sufferings with an examination of lament songs in Scripture. She reminds us that it's OK to be honest with God and that it's that authent
Jen H
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book because it awakens the reader to the need to lament, rather than just pushing through the pain to “happiness”. The first half of the book lays the foundation for why lament is necessary, good, and helpful. But when the author got to the second half of the book, it sang.

“Listen for his voice, saying to you now, “Be strong and courageous, for I go with you - backward and forward, I will be there....I’m listening to your cries. I’m moving on your behalf. I’m here in this wilderness...”

A
Lizzie Lowrie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A unique book that makes the theology of lament accessible. I think this book would be great for anyone struggling, especially those new to Christianity or more distant from Jesus than they used to be. The opening illustration of God singing a louder song over our pain is beautiful and very powerful. I really hope this encourages the church to embrace lament more and to explore how to communicate with and know God in the darkness of suffering.
Kathy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a helpful book that did not sugarcoat or spiritualize the effects of physical or emotional suffering. The author shares her own story with honesty. She provides helpful suggestions and scriptures in each chapter. There is a reading guide at the end of the book for each chapter that can be used by an individual or in a small group. This is a book that I will reread and also share with others.
Shannon Scattini
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed Aubrey’s open and honest writing.
Not only was it easy to read, but I found it incredibly relatable.
If you have ever experienced illness, disappointments, or loss, and wonder where God is in the midst of your pain, please read this book. It has encouraged me tremendously and I believe I could be an encouragement to you, too.
Kimberly
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, e-book
Mind-blowing! I needed to hear every single word of this book! It was so, so good and I'll for sure be listening to this audio book again and again - so much truth and wisdom, it was like she was reading my own journal entries from the last several years. I can't recommend this book enough.
Sergio González Rodriguez
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice amazing

• Surprised by Paradox: The Promise of "and" in an Either-Or World
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing
  • All Shall Be Well: Awakening to God's Presence in His Messy, Abundant World
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Afraid of All the Things: Tornadoes, Cancer, Adoption, and Other Stuff You Need the Gospel For
  • Sex, Jesus, and the Conversations the Church Forgot
  • Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship
  • Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • Light from Distant Stars
  • Still Waiting: Hope for When God Doesn't Give You What You Want
  • Placemaker: Cultivating Places of Comfort, Beauty, and Peace
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Ruby & Roland
  • Cultivate: A Grace-Filled Guide to Growing an Intentional Life
Aubrey Sampson is the author of The Louder Song: Listening for Hope in the Midst of Lament (NavPress/Tyndale, 2015) and Overcomer: Breaking Down the Walls of Shame and Rebuilding Your Soul (Zondervan, 2015). She and her husband and three sons are church planters in the Chicago area, where Aubrey serves on the preaching team and leads discipleship and equipping. As a writer and speaker, Aubrey offe ...more

News & Interviews