Start by marking “Walking with Henry: Big Lessons from a Little Donkey on Faith, Friendship, and Finding Your Path” as Want to Read:

"Readers will be clamoring for more." Publishers Weekly on Flash

Just when you think it's the end of your story . . . grace shows up.

Sometimes it arrives as a moment of joy in the middle of despair. Sometimes you find it next to a trusted friend along an old, well-trodden path. And sometimes, grace has fuzzy ears, a bristled mane, and hope for a new start.

Join Rachel Anne R
Published March 5th 2019 by Tyndale Momentum

To ask other readers questions about Walking with Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking with Henry

Start your review of Walking with Henry: Big Lessons from a Little Donkey on Faith, Friendship, and Finding Your Path
Karyn Overbeck
LOVE...

This book resonated with me so much! Fifty-something woman: check. (About-to-be)Empty nest: check. Spiritual life needing a recharge: check. Donkeys in the backyard: well, I wish (can't win them all). Rachel's sweet story of winning over Henry and discovering some beautiful spiritual disciplines to breathe new life into her faith along the way spoke to my heart. As others have mentioned, this book is like listening to a friend. I know I will be reading again and pondering the scriptures a
Cindy Chen
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Anne Ridge is a friendly storyteller, who makes you not only feel like you've been invited to her ranch, but invited into her life.

I had read her earlier book about Flash the donkey, and his escapades, which was an encouraging and easy-going visit with her and Flash and her family.

When Henry comes on the scene, life had thrown some more curveballs at Rachel and this story reflects the depth of the soul searching that she processed through.

In a Christian market full of "deconversion" stor
Barbara
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little donkey named Henry who walks backwards. Well, that stole my heart right off the bat! What some may think as a “flaw,” would end up serving as a beautiful metaphor for author Rachel and a time of contemplation she found herself in.

Moving into a new phase of her life, her children now grown, she searches for what her purpose now is.

An inward journey led by a mini donkey she adopted who didn’t know how to walk forward would be the best guide for Rachel as she learned to find a new path to
Lynn Brothersen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be called Walking with Rachel. Her writing flows in such a way that it is like having a conversation with a friend. I laughed, I cried, I took notes on certain scriptures she quoted; this book kept my
Emotions on edge in a good way. I rescued a dog from my last deployment; I was never an animal person but Ally wanted to come home with me. Reading this book brought back happy memories but also gave me a perspective on my life experiences I had not considered. Thank you!
Jackie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like sitting down with a good friend and hearing about their struggles, and joining them in the ups and downs of refinding their faith. I laughed out loud at parts, and unexpectedly cried at others. The author phrases scenes so vividly that it feels like you are there.
Susan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I have two new friends. One is an adorable miniature donkey named Henry — obviously the subject of the new book, Walking with Henry. But also the author, Rachel Ridge. In this book, Rachel introduces us to Henry, and also invites us into her own life in a seamless way.

Rachel takes on Henry as a rescue donkey to be a companion to Flash, a donkey she and her husband already had. Her walks with Henry each day become her thinking time to work through issues. “Walking with a donkey, as I lear
Jessica Shelton
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story of Henry the donkey through the eyes of his owner Rachel! But more than just a walk with Henry, Rachel takes us with her as she walks with the Lord and as He guides her into a renewed focus and prayer life. So so good! I’m excited to get a hard copy to study and memorize some of the prayers in the book!
Jennifer Bass Dees
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond good. Rachel Anne Ridge, writes from the heart. Her experiences in life are revealed with assurance in hope. I love her compassion and courage!
Becca McNew
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Walking With Henry is a rapturous representation of what it means to wrestle with God & come up more assured of His goodness—sweat, tears & all. Rachel’s humble transparency in her memoir is a tranquil breath of God’s with-us-ness for anyone faced with the tension of deconstructing ideologies along their own faith walk—a vital reassurance for those who may be in the throes of holding constructs of belief up to the Light and letting Him melt the impurities away while holding fast to the Everlasti ...more
Cindy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel writes like you're sitting across the table with a cup of coffee and she's sharing with you.
I laughed, I cried, and I wished I had a donkey to walk and pray with! This book opened my eyes to how I view prayer. It given me "permission" to use prayers that are already written and not feel like I'm "cheating".
I was part of the launch team for this book and read a digital Advanced Reader Copy. I'll be ordering a paper back copy so I can highlight and write in it. I highly recommend this book
Janice C. Johnson
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you liked "Flash the Donkey," you will adore "Walking with Henry." In this lovely book, Rachel Anne Ridge candidly tells her story of the tragedy, struggles and questions she's dealt with.

Rachel and Tom thought Flash needed a companion donkey, so they (sort of) jumped on the opportunity to adopt a rescued miniature donkey. Rachel watched and learned from Flash, "Henry" (the new kid), and their slow-growing friendship. Somehow, as she slowed down and gave her own heart some breathing space, t
Melissa
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Walking With Henry” is a heartwarming book that will make you laugh, cry, and bring you closer to God. It’s hard to believe that a story about two donkeys will affect you as much as this one does! Henry and Flash have endeared themselves to me and I especially enjoyed reading about Rachel’s spiritual journey.

I received an advance reader copy of this book, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to read it!
Lisa
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Walking with Henry made me laugh, cry, reflect, and learn. Rachel opens her heart to describe her spiritual journey, wrought with doubt and devotion, faith and friendship, grief and grace, patience and prayer, regret and renewal. She writes with humor, honesty and eloquence as she tells the story of her adoption of a miniature donkey, and the sadness, challenge, enlightenment, and joy that came with it.

I love this charming, engaging, insightful book.
MIchelle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can one possibly learn from a donkey? Rachel takes us on a tender journey of celebration, heart break, near hopelessness to new found faith through events that led her to Henry. Henry teaches Rachel what it means to find hope and healing through Life and Truth.

Each chapter is full of nuggets that feed the longing soul. Nuggets that reveal Grace and Truth and the Love of a God that speaks to each of us personally.

If you are longing for a nugget of Truth and a the Breathe of Life, go walkin
Nathan Albright
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2020
This was, in retrospect, not the ideal book to read first by the author.  This book is, properly speaking, the follow-up to a previous book that the author had written about the first miniature donkey she adopted, named Flash, and it is definitely a step down from that book (review forthcoming).  Had I read the other book first, I would have enjoyed it more, as this book demonstrates the author's general inconsistencies with faith and the fact that she lets her holier-than-thou social gospel thi ...more
Joanne Viola
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In her latest book, Walking With Henry, Rachel Anne Ridge takes on Henry, a rescue donkey, as a friend to Flash. Thus begins another friendship with a donkey who becomes more than a companion for Henry, he becomes a teacher to the people who love him.

“Walking with a donkey, as I learned, is not done with the purposeful strides of personal achievement, but rather with the humbled steps of one forced to go at the pace of an unhurried companion. Although I couldn’t yet see it, ahead of me on the p
Gail Welborn
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***Big Lessons from a Little Donkey on Faith, Friendship and Finding Your Path***

Author, professional artist and designer, Rachel Ann Ridge releases "Walking with Henry" March 5, an inspirational true story of faith wrapped in hope, trust and rescued donkeys. It's also Rachel's story of her journey into intimacy with God, a journey that would restore her soul and rekindle her faith and spiritual life.

Her story begins with a decision about a "wingman" for Flash, a bedraggled donkey her family a
Lori Helmuth
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have recently been searching for more in my spiritual life & Walking With Henry has delivered. Rachel Anne Ridge & her donkeys walked into my life at a time when I have been struggling to find my own faith today vs how I was brought up. She is a very talented author that is real, relatable & has a knack for keeping you interested in her writing, leaving you wanting more. I wanted more because I felt like I was walking the same journey. Henry and his relationship with Flash mirrors a similar re ...more
Beth Goodman
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is like visiting with a good friend that I haven’t seen in a while. It was wonderful catching up with Rachel and Flash and meeting the new member of the family, Henry. This charming new addition brings lessons that propel Rachel on a new journey.
We all have a crisis of faith at one time or another. Rachel opens her soul and shares with heart-wrenching honesty her faith challenge and how the lessons learned while prayer walking with Henry restored her faith. Rachel shares the r
Emily P
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Walking With Henry," begins as a story about a donkey and the way it changed a woman's life. This simple act also ushers Rachel into a deeper relationship with Christ. I enjoyed this read, although I must mention it can be emotional for sensitive readers. Rachel Anne Ridge is an author who has already shared the story of Flash the donkey in her first book. This story connects to the prior read by bringing a few new characters into the pasture with Flash--namely, Henry.

Henry is one donkey in ne
marge rahnenfuehrer
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever felt it hard to pray or felt like something was not quite right, but you didn't know what it was ? I know I have and Rachel did too. She uses her experiences in life and her relationship with both her donkeys Flash and Henry as conduits to a fuller walk with God. Rachel's method of writing makes you feel like you are her best friend, and she is telling you her story over a cup of coffee. I read her first book Flash and was so excited to read her second book, Walking with Henry. You ...more
Melissa Holgate
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This unique story about an adopted miniature donkey named Henderson Number Ten (Henry) provides a refreshing, thought-provoking message that will capture any reader's heart. The Author has such a beautiful gift of sharing lessons she has learned in her own life that cause the reader to relate, laugh, cry and grow the way that they would if they were listening to the details over a cup of coffee with a cherished friend. It is a delightful page-turner full of stories about perseverance, prayer, an ...more
Kristine
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Walking with Henry: Big Lessons from a Little Donkey on Faith, Friendship, and Finding Your Path in part because I love stories about rescue animals. What I didn't expect was the heart-felt way Ms. Ridge wrote about her struggles with her faith. This resonated with me and I really like the old liturgical prayers she included and her explanation of why.

I received an advanced copy of "Henry" from the publisher.
Lori Boyle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to receive an Advance Reader Copy from Tyndale, and to be a part of the Walking with Henry book launch team. I had read Rachel's first book, Flash, and was excited to read about the miniature donkey, Henry, joining their family and what he could bring to their life. I loved how Rachel introduced each chapter of the book with a prayer, and was challenged and inspired to follow her lead into the habit of prayer walks. It's a little bit memoir, a little bit devotional, and a whole lot ...more
Michelle Evans
I loved reading FLASH, so I was very excited about, WALKING WITH HENRY. I was not, however, prepared for it to be the mirror image of my life at this very moment, with a few of the details being slightly different. I have been struggling with the same issues as Rachel - an empty nest and my new life purpose and questions about my faith; as well as a boy who needs our help; and 2 dogs who have a less-than perfect, always jockeying for the #1 position, play-fighting turning into the real thing, re ...more
Megan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Need a breath of fresh air? Look no further than this book. Take a walk with Henry, the sweet little donkey that walks backwards (and Rachel- his owner) and take a minute to stop and notice the little things.

I absolutely love Rachel’s writing style and the way her experiences and relationship with God resonate with me. Through hardships and life changes, follow along with Rachel as she shares her struggles and moves along on a spiritual journey led by her little donkey, Henry.
Holly
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Walking with Henry is a sweet book about a donkey and his owner's faith journey as she helps Henry adjust to his first loving home. Flashbacks are mixed with recent stories in relation to scripture and liturgical prayers, which Rachel expertly weaves together. A touching story with wisdom for all who read it!

I read an advanced reader's copy of the book.
Cindy Pratt
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Anne Ridge is an excellent storyteller. The backdrop of her farm and rescued donkeys completely drew me in. I appreciate her honesty with her faith struggles and how her relationship with God's creatures gave her insight to the Creator. The book is a great source for exploring the spiritual practices of prayer and solitude.
Beverly Henry
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start? There are so many lessons in this book. Lessons about forgiveness, friendship, trust, vision, hope, grief, marriage, parenting and much more. "I have discovered that something is awakened through failure, tragedy, and disappointment. It is a place of learning and potential creativity. In such moments you can get lost in despair or denial, or you can recognize the failure and run toward the hope of something new." There are so many nuggets, I finally had to take out pen and pape ...more
Sharon Leafdale
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as much as I did her first book, Flash! I could feel her faith with her writing. I have 3 mini donkeys. My goal is to be able to train them to walk on a lead and get to understand them as the incredible animals they are. Thank you Rachel for your inspiration! I received this book as an advanced reader copy from the author.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How the Light Gets in
  • Joey: How a Blind Rescue Horse Helped Others Learn to See
  • Brave Love: Making Space for You to Be You
  • Running with Sherman
  • Praying Women: How to Pray When You Don't Know What to Say
  • Little Alf: The true story of a pint-sized pony who found his forever home
  • The Middle Matters: Why That (Extra)Ordinary Life Looks Really Good on You
  • Developing Female Leaders: Navigate the Minefields and Release the Potential of Women in Your Church
  • The Soul of an American President: The Untold Story of Dwight D. Eisenhower's Faith
  • Adventures of the Horse Doctor's Husband
  • Keep Showing Up: How to Stay Crazy in Love When Your Love Drives You Crazy
  • When I Pray for You
  • Chasing Augustus
  • Own Your Everyday:  Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You're Made to Do
  • Hart's Hollow Farm
  • All I Ask
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society