Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 31: The Rotten Core” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 31: The Rotten Core

The Walking Dead, Vol. 31: The Rotten Core

(The Walking Dead #31)

Rick leads the Commonwealth's Governor, Pamela Milton, on a tour of the various communities Alexandria is aligned with. Naturally... terrible things begin to happen very quickly. Collects THE WALKING DEAD #181-186.
Comics, 136 pages
Published March 12th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 31, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Vol. 31

Sam Quixote
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
The shitshow that is The Walking Dead staggers on for yet another volume in the aptly named, Volume 31: The Rotten Core. Who knew that the Commonwealth, an authoritarian group obsessed with hierarchy enforced through an overbearing police presence, would turn out to be gasp kinda evil oh right everyone duurrr?!

Rick is taking Commonwealth Governor Pamela Milton on a tour of their territories (Hilltop, The Kingdom, etc.) except it’s not interesting for the audience who’s already familiar with the
Melki
Though there's not much zombie action in this volume, there's human drama galore. Maybe it's my current interest in income inequality, but this one really grabbed me. You see, the Commonwealth's Governor believes in a rigid class structure with everyone occupying a station . . . the same one they had before this whole walking dead thing started. As Michonne accidentally blurts out while dining in a restaurant (that's right - I said restaurant!) - "Can you imagine surviving the apocalypse and the ...more
Chad
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Kirkman still knows how to deliver a shock. He lulled me with this whole volume about how the Commonwealth is the absolute worst of our current consumer culture and how it's a police state, blah blah blah. Haven't we been here before? Then bam a sucker punch out of nowhere. Even when you start to think, "Eh, maybe it's time Kirkman ended this.", he can still manage to knock you to your knees.
Matthew
Seems like no matter what, when Rick Grimes gets involved, things fall apart!

The post-apocalyptic adventures of The Walking Dead continue with the newest community, (view spoiler), that Rick and crew have come across. While seemingly an ideal new society, there is something slightly rotten festering below the surface . . .

One of my favorite parts of post-apocalyptic fiction is seeing how the people handle each other and the rebuilding process. But, is The Walking
Paul E. Morph
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. Great volume. What an ending!
Ben Brown
Another volume, another great collection of”The Walking Dead” issues. Really, at this point, it’s starting to feel a little redundant, constantly singing this series’ praises…but then again, that’s something that shouldn’t be under appreciated: the fact that we’re 186 issues and 15 FREAKING YEARS into this series, and Robert Kirkman is still somehow finding ways to keep the story fresh and interesting…well, that’s just insanely impressive. Maybe they should hire Kirkman to write the scripts for ...more
Karl Marberger
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Daaaaaamn, son.
Lisa Wolf
A good installment in the series, but to be honest, trying to keep track of who's alive on TV and not in the comics -- and vice versa -- makes my head spin.
Dave
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Touring the commonwealth. Showing the Commonwealth Alexandria and its allies. Like the Governor's town, the Commonwealth is too peaceful. There's something sinister behind the smiles. But, there's Mr.T and the A-Team so it can't be all bad. Unlike the tv series though, Heath is still alive. A transitional story moving the story arc forward.
Anthony
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: image
I can only really remember the last issue, which did have a good ending. I think the rest of the arc was fine?
Cassie-la
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
How tired are you of the never-ending formula that is The Walking Dead (read: Rick and company encounter a new community, community is not what it seems, our heroes are forced to take down said community, everything returns to normal until they meet another new community, lather, rinse, repeat). On the one hand, I find it tedious and predictable. On the other, Kirkman keeps creating new and intriguing communities to explore, so I can only be slightly annoyed. This latest trade is no exception to ...more
Robert
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Is Kirkman going for modern political commentary? I sure hope not. The story doesn't move much - again. And the direction if not the details is predictable - again. And the only twists or surprises that come any more on the big splash pages seem to be Human or Human violence. But I'll keep reading.
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like the Commonwealth are the worst villains of the series so far. They're not evil or murdering people, or zombie worshipers. They're just as close to the horrible human civilization that we live in now as you can get, and it makes my blood boil just reading about them.

I cannot wait to see this entire place get burned to the ground.
Peacegal
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It's the comic that doesn't end...yes, it goes on and on my friend....;)

The zombies are once again just a bit of an afterthought in this one, and the focus is much more on interpersonal conflicts within the survivors. I'm wondering if pushing the walkers to the backburner isn't an intentional thing, as zombies have definitely passed their trendiness expiration date?
Melissa
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Another volume in the continuing saga.....

Recovering from one crazy “other” group, just to meet a new one, crazy in a totally different way...🙄

You would think I’d get tired of the us vs them in every permutation Kirkman can think up, but I still find myself reading these from cover to cover to find out what happens next.

Alex E
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume picks up exactly where the last left off, and to the most part it is very much following the same thread.

That may sound like a bad thing, but actually I appreciate Kirkman taking his time to slowly build towards something, instead of the usually brutal sudden violence approach that he usually takes.

And the conflict, it seems, will be coming from a much more ambiguous place. The moral grays are much more apparent now, as Rick enters a community that is essentially a military state,
Bryan
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
-- read as single issues #181 - #186 --

I feel critical of this comic these days. And I honestly still don't know if it's because it actually deserves criticism or if I'm just getting a little burnt out on it. Part of me feels like my enjoyment of The Walking Dead as a whole would increase if I were to just trade wait; but I know I won't. I'm weak like that.

In any case, there are moments in this comic now where characters perform acts of such unthinking stupidity that for a moment I almost think
Kinksrock
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Once again our protagonists are learning about another society that has come about, and once again there's a looming fear that they could go to war. This time it's a society where everything looks perfect at first (we saw it in the last issue). In this issue, we see that they even have restaurants! But gradually they see that it's a class-based society where control is maintained by armed police, and the people are ripe for a revolution.

The comics have the same issues as the tv series. So many
Jakub Kvíz
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, kn-celendz-2019
Kirkman just know how to finish a mediocre arc with a BANG! (pun intended) and make you want more.

Well, another one bites the dust and I will definately miss this charatcer but I guess that’s what TWD is about...
Václav
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Well as I said, with TWD there is a black cloud on every silver lining. And with Commonwealth Kirkman didn't let us wait long. The drama is boiling, there are first unknown and well-known casualties. To the quality - I feared a bit because of one guy here on GR wouldn't stop ranting since issue 18x, but I do not see the issue. Yes, TWD is starting to lose its breath, but it was huge run since AN (after Negan) started, so that was expected. I was wondering the shortening of breath didn't start ea ...more
Benjamin Barham
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a total bore. There were no new ideas. There was no forward movement for the story. At this point, it's just one more ring in the ever-expanding trunk of uninspired scenarios involving bad, different people in increasingly nicer environments.

(view spoiler). Who cares? (view spoiler). Who cares? Who cares about any of these characters anymore? This is a soap opera now, splashed with predictable carnage.
Nancy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In the last volume we are introduced to the Commonwealth, a large settlement in Ohio that has rigid class structures but has managed to thrive. I thought it established a promising arc that could turn the series in a new direction, for now years out from the outbreak, how does civilization rebuild? Last issue and this issue had less zombie attacks, for I would think that now that people know how to prevent more zombies from reanimating, there would be less and less zombies to dispatch as the yea ...more
Tomas Serrien
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mmm... I am getting bored. One major surprise in this volume. But it feels like every volume is going to the same direction: another dispute, another way of living, another rule of power,... maybe it is time to kill off Rick and start a focus on Eugene curing zombies? Or Negans search for killing all the zombies by making a super Lucille atomic bomb?
Brian
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, m
I’m not sure how I feel about this volume. It covers a fairly lengthy period of time without making that entirely clear. Chess pieces are being moved again, but it feels different than other times. Different can be good or bad, and I think I just haven’t made up my mind on what I like or dislike about where this means the story is going.
John
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rotten Core
Koen
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
-- read as single issues #181 - #186 --

There are things brewing at the (un)Commonwealth..
I like it!

And oh my gods.. what an ending!!

Ok, enough talking ;)
Emily
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the new storyline introduced in volume 30 was kind of lame, but it turned out to be really good this issue. Lots of nice spreads, and the story moved along at a good pace. The ending really took me by surprise. Here’s hoping they keep up the momentum!
Theresa
The first time a volume really let me down. Politics are boring. Michonne is lame. A lot of open threads the will force me to read the next volume.
Thomas
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
With The Rotten Core and the preceding volume or two, we enter a state of the Walking Dead world where there aren't really enemies left in the world, just communities that have different philosophies. We aren't even looking at Negan-level differences, either; the new community isn't arbitrarily killing people (so far, at least), they just approach society differently than Rick, et al. are.

The thing is, with society restored in the world of The Walking Dead, this is pretty much what passes for co
XO
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Rick has to die. It’s time. It’s over due actually. What are we waiting for? The series has to end too. Everyone ends up a walker. That’s it. The end.
  • The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 6: The Infernal Path
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: That Was Yesterday
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 2: Betty R.I.P.
  • The Blackness Between (Schlock Mercenary, #4)
  • Sex Criminals, Vol. 5: Five-Fingered Discount
  • Doomsday Clock #1: That Annihilated Place
  • Deadpool Vs. Old Man Logan
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 5: Fantastic Three
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • Man-Eaters #1
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • FukuFuku: Kitten Tales 2
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • Lost Roads (Broken Lands, #2)
  • Deadpool: Too Soon?
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 4

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye