Start by marking “Cold Spots” as Want to Read:
Cold Spots

Cold Spots

A tale of spine-tingling horror, psychological fright, the undead, and the bitter cold of a supernatural winter come together in this account of unexpected twists and mounting dread. Dan Kerr turned his back on his wife and unborn daughter 10 years ago. Now, both mother and child have gone missing, and Dan must embark on a weird tale of cosmic terror in order to find them ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Image Comics (first published February 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Spots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Spots

Start your review of Cold Spots
Sam Quixote
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Little girl controls ice ghosts because horror. Them ghosts is up to no good because durrr. Her deadbeat dad suddenly cares about her despite having never seen her before because plot. Somewhere in that mess is a “story” that’ll make you wish you were an ice ghost so you wouldn’t feel boredom on this scale!

Is Cold Spots yet another pile of complete and utter shit from a man who seems determined to have his own sub-genre of staggeringly terrible horror comics, Cullen “How Do I Keep Getting Paid
Paul E. Morph
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted a creepy little ghost story just before Christmas and this hit the spot! (Groannn...)

The plot's a little... I don't want to say 'thin' but I can't think of a better word, but it's extremely atmospheric. I'm looking forward to Cullen and co. delving deeper into this story in the future.

P.S. - each issue of this book comes with a link to a free download of a soundtrack for that issue written and recorded by the artist. Pretty neat.
RG
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was really dissapointing. A horror thriller story without any horror, thrills or plot. Just didnt seem like it was going anywhere.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Cold Spots left me cold. The cover looked fantastic, the synopsis sounded interesting, and I was all set to love what I was about to read. Unfortunately, except for a few panels, I found it lacking in atmosphere, rather bland in illustration, and so lightly skimming the surface of a story that I found myself completely unable to care about what was going on.

This story needs some depth added to it. It’s impossible to care about any of the characters. The little girl is basically a freaky super-po
Brendan
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it

Cullen Bunn tends to be a hit and miss writer for me but Cold Spots was a pleasant surprise. I had planned on getting the issues but I couldn't commit to another short mini series run. This feels more like the first volume of a bigger arc but nothing has been announced since. This is another book that has low ratings on Goodreads but carries a better critical score.

Why the 4?

Self contained and carries amazing artwork. Image Comics do some good horror storylines and this is definitely one of b
Craig
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The characters weren't very well-developed to be anything more than cliches, and the story all the more unclear for that. The artwork also isn't very good here. Bunn has done much better work elsewhere. Cold Spots isn't really worth a revisit.
Tom Ewing
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Two out of five because that’s how many issues the atmospheric deep-freeze creepiness lasts before all is revealed and the plot becomes a runaround. More is promised, but not (IMO) required.
David Cordero
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Icy ghosts. Literally.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
2.5 Stars
There were some wonderfully creepy images in this graphic novel, but the plot was incredibly thin. Very disappointing.
Becky
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m torn because I really enjoyed the story here. I just wasn’t a fan of the art. Considering that’s half the fun (or more) in a comic or graphic novel...
Nikita Angeles
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dan Kerr, a PI, is hired and sent to find wealthy Arthur warren’s missing daughter and grandchild. He finds his way to a remote town where paranormal ghosty things ensue.

To be blunt – the story overall doesn’t deliver on its promise of “unexpected twists and mounting dread”.

The first issue starts strong with creepy lingering unease in every frame. Everything is mysterious and dark and shadowy. It feels like there is something big to discover. A possibility of there being more to it than your sta
Neon Sunscreen
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't read horror for scares. I can't think of any work of fiction that's actually put fear in me. But, I enjoy the genre because of its territory. So to answer the question that you never asked, no I didn't find this one scary. I did, however, find it frustrating. Most of the time I had no idea what was going on. The plot is certainly thin and situations occur without a real cause. Many characters weren't developed and served only to fill up space on the page. I couldn't understand the protag ...more
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cold Spots: chist almighty why is that character so bad?

When Dan Kerr was hired to find missing missing heiress Grace, it seemed like this was going to be a pretty straight forward and predictable graphic novel. Was still worth reading, but maybe not a full price purchase.

Within a very short few pages I was caught up very nicely in a strange paranormal ghost story. This was great! All of the paranormal scenes were solid and felt strong and creepy, but not trying too hard. The air around a retur
Pop Bop
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Baby, It's Cold Outside, (and In Here, Too)

I admire Cullen Bunn, although I enjoyed some series, ("The Sixth Gun"), more than others, ("Harrow County"). This is just the first issue of his new series, but it has all the hallmarks of an immersive creepfest.

The hero, Dan, is deadpan and edgy, and a bit broken, but he's quite accomplished at banter. Darkness creeps in from the edges of each panel, (and is sometimes front and center). A continuing theme of "unnatural cold" adds a creepy element that
Ben
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The supernatural child: a staple in horror content, and a powerful tool in the hands of master spooky yarn-teller Cullen Bunn.

Dan Kerr gets a mysterious job from a powerful man he thought had spurned him forever. In the envelope of money, there is a picture of a familiar face. A lover from Dan’s past - the powerful man’s daughter, and her child. He is to find them both and this takes him to Quarrel Island, a place where the unseasonable cold isn’t the only thing making outsiders and residents a
Lenore
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
The art is good, the writing left something to be desired. Was I supposed to feel a connection or like any of the characters? I didn't. The child could have been replaced with a spooky lamp and I wouldn't have known the difference- in fact if somebody claimed a right to own a lamp they'd designed but never physically seen before, I think they'd have more right to it than the father in this story:
Kerr- I have never once seen this child in my life, but I have realized I am biologically related to
Theediscerning
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very, very good ghost comic – only spoilt in a minor way by too much of a Cthulhu influence in some artwork near the end. When token rich bloke asks bloke-he-dislikes to find his daughter and granddaughter, b-h-d doesn't mention the fact that he only need ask the butler where they are, nor that the younger female is his daughter by the older. But even with that knowledge there is a steep learning curve for disliked-bloke, as he encounters no end of dark and chilling goings-on on an isolated is ...more
Alex E
Oct 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This feels like half a story.

Its basically about a girl who can summon ghosts with "cold power". Her dad, who up until this point, didn't interact with her at all, is hired to find her and the mom, who are now with a cult who are trying to exploit the girls ghost powers.

Why, how, and what are never explained. I have been reading a couple of Bunn works recently and I have to say they are always solid and entertaining. But this is... this is like he wanted to get a quick graphic novel out there,
Stergios
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tpb-hc
Well, this was a generic ghost story, with some really lifeless characters, a dark victorian style mansion with evil residents, a child with ghost-controling powers and the clichés go on and on. The art is fitting but the main issue I had with this story is that it reads more like a Netflix movie adaptation ,than an original comic book. The end leaves promise for a sequel. Now this is a bad and a good thing. Bad because the story and the universe were totally unoriginal to begin with to bother f ...more
Atul Kachru
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Beautifully executed first issue. Unfortunate the rest of the series does not cash in on that expert setup. I am a big fan of Cullen Bunn's stuff, but feel this series was just kind of "okay".

I think a major problem for me was the art. I can appreciate a more esoteric art style, plenty of books seem to be doing this. But some of these panels I simply could NOT understand. The perspective , characters and movement were so impressionistic that I lost the entire flow of the action. Led me to prompt
Simon
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this due to the cool colour choices and the occasionally good art but it felt like the quality diminished with each passing issue to the point where #5 was, at points, hard to read because some of the panels were a total mess. And the story isn't very original, putting together your basic "demon child" with barebones cosmic horror to little effect. A bit of wasted potential for sure.
Mindy Rose
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
a man is hired to find a missing little girl who he finds out is his own daughter; he then finds the kid & her mom hiding out on a creepass island covered in sacrificed animals and living with a family who she is bringing a dead guy back to life for because she can for some reason control ghosts? idk man this was an okay read with lots of grotesquery which i appreciate but i felt like something was missing. 3/5. ...more
Paul Allard
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it

Horror comic series which works quite well

Dan is hired by his father-in-law to bring back his daughter and his granddaughter who have gone missing / left. He traces them to an isolated island. There all sorts of spooky (and cold) shenanigans take place. The characters are quite well-developed and the artwork is vague but effective, reminiscent of / influenced by Bill Sienkiewicz. It’s fairly entertaining but not really my type of series.
Emmanuel Nevers
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully done supernatural story and I hope this leads into other Cullen Bunn stories in the same universe as Cold Spots (letters page of issue one teased this). The art as was super atmospheric and at times made me feel cold (as in chilled to the bone). Pacing and dialgue were on point and I would highly recommend this to anyone for a rainy day read.
Beelzefuzz
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Another no-fun Bunn title.
Imagine that your friend was trying to tell you their dream and it was going nowhere so you stopped them and said: "Dude, I think you just stayed up too late playing Silent Hill and are getting plot points confused" and Cullen Bunn wrote all of their ramblings down and had someone draw it.
Miga Avalos
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Spooky Season: This was a bit of a bummer to read. It felt like stuff happened without any explanations being given and brought up questions that did not wish to answer. Did not really connect with any characters, the plot is very thin and it went by really fast. Art was good though. Very atmospheric and did well conveying the cold whenever the plot called for it to be cold.
Graham
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Bad story, bad art, stupid and boring. In some cases that might make it so bad it’s good, but this is just bad.

Read “ Rachel Rising” by Terry Moore just before which was really good, which just reinforced how weak an effort this was. Give it up guys and find a different vocation.
Kish
Jun 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork really hurt my eyes. The fan letters at the end of issues praising the art and story really made me wonder if they were genuine. Cover art is good and this book doesn't deserve it. Story sucks. Waste of time.
Derek
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Creepy, and promises to be a promising series.
Iris Nevers
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice read on a chilly evening.
Vey spooky

• Oblivion Song, Vol. 2
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 5: Bound by Blood
  • Shanghai Red
  • Moonshine, Vol. 1
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more

News & Interviews