Start by marking “The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New” as Want to Read:
The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New

The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New

(The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) #8)

Modernist poets trapped in an Agatha Christie Murder Mystery. The Romantics gathering in Lake Geneva to resurrect the dead. What really happened during the fall of Rome. The Lucifer who was a nun, hearing Ananke's Black Death confession. As we approach the end, we start to see the full picture. Also includes the delights of the WicDiv Christmas Annual and the Comedy specia ...more
Published March 12th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8

Devann
This volume collects the six specials that go with the series [455 AD, 1373 AD, 1831 AD, 1923 AD, Christmas Special, and Funnies]. Most of them are pretty good but it's still a bit disappointing because I feel like every time we gain some plot momentum with this series the authors just decide to take a huge detour before moving on. I guess most of these were published years ago, but still.

I like that the four specials focused on certain years give us actual insight into the game that Minerva an
John
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wicked+Divine is one of the better comics out there right now, and I feel it's criminally underrepresented next to say, Saga. The premise of the series is about a recurring pantheon of 12 gods who return to the earth every 90 years to live fast lives of revelry. (You live fast and die young within two years).

The series is slowly starting to give some answers, but this volume is a chance to explore the different dealings throughout the ages and experiment with times outside of smartphones.

Carey
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This blew my damn mind. I need to go back and read from the beginning but stupid school is making me read educational material.
Leah
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited for everyone to get their hands on this volume! These bonus issues answer questions that the arcs haven't, and the Christmas Annual and Funnies are just a great fucking time.

After re-reading, here are my star ratings for each issue:
1831AD - 4 Stars
455AD - 4 Stars
1923AD - 5 Stars
1373AD - 5 Stars (personal fav of all)
Christmas - 5 Stars
Funnies - 3 Stars
Agnė
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8 is a collection of six special issues, four of which feature the endings of the previous Pantheons:

1) set in 455 AD, originally published after the issue 28;
2) set in 1373 AD, originally published after the issue 39;
3) set in 1831 AD, originally published after the issue 22;
4) set in 1923 AD, originally published after the issue 33, written mostly in prose;
5) Christmas Annual, originally published after the issue 33, features "deleted scenes" from the series;
6) Th
Dan
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This had a really strong start but then the writing got lazy halfway thru. Adding chunks of text instead of illustrating the story is just plain laziness. People DO NOT buy a comic to read it like a normal book. Not too mention the bullshit short at the end of this volume. For a Mature rated comic I was really disappointed to see juvenile type shorts at the end of this.
rosalind
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
this series is sort of like a car crash that you can’t bring yourself to look away from
Alex Sarll
Collecting the specials, in chronological order – meaning readers of the trades will have a very different experience to singles readers, who got them dotted between arcs in quite another order. My experience of the latter approach was...well, they certainly answered some of the questions the main arc was begging (given the death of the gods seems generally to come about through violence, could one of them just...not get killed? What happens then?). But at the same time they also reminded me of ...more
Lenny
Volume seven of WicDiv was nothing short of phenomenal. Years worth of questions were answered in epic payoffs; fantastic art with meticulously researched details literally spanning all of time, and of course, a massive cliffhanger.

But don’t get too excited opening up volume 8 – you’re not going to get any resolution just yet. This volume collects the WicDiv specials, all of which were released at different times during WicDiv’s run. That means anyone reading the issues has already seen these –
DeAnna Knippling
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The oldest con in the world continues, so that life can go on.

This is a hard collection to read - a lot of things-that-aren't-standard and iterations of previous storylines. I had one head-slapping moment at a buried clue. Can't wait to see this all wrapped up.

Cale
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Because this series isn't challenging enough to follow in its modern day plot, this volume throws a variety of previous iterations at us. Some have their moments, while others don't feel like they provide very much of value (although it may be because they were intended to be read earlier in the series and are just now being collected, once their utility is long past). There are some interesting ideas, and having one be basically a short story with occasional graphic interludes made for an inter ...more
Shannon Appelcline
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A mostly innocuous series of Wicked + Divine stories. We get interesting looks at the gods in different eras, but the only one of them that's truly notable is 1923 AD. The glimpse at the gods at the edge of our technological age is pretty neat. Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of stories with heavy text components, but Gillen does decently with the exercise, and it allows him to tell a much larger story: basically, a miniseries about the last days of the 1923AD gods.
César
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The specials will be collected in cronological order (455AD, 1373, 1831, 1923, christmas, funnies), which is ok as a volume 8, but I still think they work better when read in publication order intersped with the rest of the series (Vols 1-4, 1831, Vol 5, 455AD, Vol 6, 1923, christmas, Vol 7, 1373, funnies).

1831 - 5 stars
455AD - 4 stars
1923 - 5 stars
Christmas special - 2 stars
1373 - 4.5 stars
Funnies special - 2 stars
Ryan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume 8 is the only inessential volume in The Wicked + The Divine's run, due to its status as a collection of standalone stories shedding more light on past eras of Gods. While the individual stories are quite interesting and have stellar guest artwork, as a whole the collection feels a little haphazard and not very cohesive. But it is still worth a read by anyone invested in the series.
Imogene
I just got excited when I realised that I had actually read all of these :-)
I'll have to go back, reread and review each title separately.

I did find it a little less compelling due to the, shall we say, narritus interuptus?
But individually, some of these were insanely brilliant
k
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
collections like this are always hit or miss but a) i love my hot mess children and b) i really appreciate that they just did a bunch of 'fuck it, here are all your favs canonically getting it on' stories for the christmas annual. truly, the spirit of the season.
Tina
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
A scatter of short stories that have no connection other than that they all feature the Lucifer-character, plus a longer written story with some illustrations (I just couldn't muster any interest in the written story, I tried several times and in the end I skimmed through it as fast as I could). All in all everything in this volume was just too disjointed and too unconnected, I couldn't enjoy it.
KL Baudelaire
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Things were never okay.
Doug Peters
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, paper
This middle chunk of this hodgepodge collection is a whodunit during the 1920s. It is mostly text (instead of art), which is probably why this Volume has a lower rating than the rest. Overall, I liked it for what it was. I can't criticize the authors for combining a bunch of stories that appear separately in the individual issues, after all.
Eszter
1373 - 5 stars
The Funnies - 1 star
Caro
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not actually a new volume, but rather a compendium of the prequels as well as some funny (and not so funny extras). The quality is all over the place, as McKelvie isn't illustrating this and Gillen thought that writing one of the issues down rather than to plot it as a graphic novel was a good idea (it wasn't and he can't write, and that was STILL the best part of this book. Huh.)

Should you read this? I don't think it's strictly necessary, but I do recommend reading at least 1923 (you ca
Adam
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, comic-volumes
Collecting all the random, in-between issues of the WicDiv series, this eighth volume of The Wicked + The Divine is an unnecessary instalment. Come on, Gillen, end this series like it was meant to be concluded.
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
This was mega-disappointing. I LOVE this series. So much that I screamed when I saw that this was out. However, I didn’t like many of the different sections. I loved it up until the 1920s. The Christmas issue was fabulous. I loved it. The funnies were suuuuch a waste. None of them were good. The art was stunning as always but so disappointing.
Ali
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novel
After finishing the last volume, I thought how much room there is for more spin-offs like the 1831 Romantic poet inspired issue. So boy was I pleased to realize the penultimate volume was all one-offs!

The opening special about the fall of Rome was not enjoyable. I didn't get it at all, which is frustrating because while the specials aren't required for the story, they do offer insight into what's really happening with Ananke's plans.

However, the rest of the specials were so damn good. The Medi
David Basora
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a volume, this was weird because it is an amalgam of extra stories and fun bonuses the creators made to treat the fans. However, the fill-in stories that not only add to the past lore of the Pantheon, but add to the story of the gods we have come to know are wonderful. I am hoping we can eventually see a TV series of this that can follow the 2014 Pantheon as well as past iterations. It would be fascinating. I felt that pinning the entire Black Plague on Ananke was a bit much, but the unique q ...more
Amy
some fun additions to the 'historical' canon of the pantheon but mileage varies on the tales, and the one taking up the majority of the volume (1927?) was largely in text - I'm reading a graphic novel, I want GRAPHIX. This volume also included a host of different artists which means the style deviated significantly from previous volumes - that's not a terrible thing but it didn't work for me for both the flappers and the Victorians (which looked like a bad gothic vampire romance).

My favorite st
Alice
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. At first then I started this installment I was upset because it doesn't have anything to do with the cliff hanger ending of the last trade, but as I got to the end it was by far one of my favorites. This trade focuses on the pantheons of the past and some of them were incredibly interesting. It was cool trying to figure out which god was which and see different iterations of them and also seeing other gods like Neptune and Set. I was really cool and fun.And the last section of this i ...more
diane
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy
After reading through all the other graphics novels and getting to #7, where something finally was happening and the story was gaining some momentum, we get #8.

Which irked me.

Whenever this story gets any sort of traction, the author takes HUGE detours to make sure that we have a hard time keeping continuity and to throw red herrings in our path. Which, as the author, is his right. But it is doing a huge disservice to the overall story. At this point, even after binging the other books, the detou
Shannon
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a collection of all the specials; it provides some backstory and context to what has been happening not only in the lives of the characters we know, but in pantheons of the past. While it was a collection of specials, I'm not really sure I would say it was all that special. It almost felt more like a novella an author will publish to hold off the masses until the next book/issue debuts. But in this collection, it isn't the author per se creating it, but a collection of friends that wante ...more
Sara
Awesome! This is like a collection of short stories, drawn in different styles by different artists, each about a different reincarnation of the pantheon through the ages. Not only does it give a little more understanding to what is going on in the main Wicked + Divine plot, it is really cool to think about how the scenario would have played out in different time periods with the cultural markers of that time. For example, a steampunk version with characters referencing Mary Shelley and the Roma ...more

• Runaways, Vol. 3: That Was Yesterday
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 6: The Infernal Path
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 31: The Rotten Core
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 2: Betty R.I.P.
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10: Time and Again
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One
  • The Mighty Thor, Volume 5: The Death of the Mighty Thor
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 3: Last Days
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Doomsday Clock #1: That Annihilated Place
  • Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 5: Fantastic Three
  • Alien: Echo
  • Deadpool: Too Soon?
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act