Start by marking “Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)” as Want to Read:
Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)

Old Is the New New

(The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) #8)

Modernist poets trapped in an Agatha Christie Murder Mystery. The Romantics gathering in Lake Geneva to resurrect the dead. What really happened during the fall of Rome. The Lucifer who was a nun, hearing Ananke's Black Death confession. As we approach the end, we start to see the full picture. Also includes the delights of the WicDiv Christmas Annual and the Comedy ...more
Published March 12th 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Old Is the New New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Is the New New

Start your review of Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
Rod Brown
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Somehow I got it in my mind that this was the final volume of the series. So imagine my disappointment to find instead that it is a compendium of previously uncollected interstitial stories dealing with incarnations of the gods in times past and specials with random sex scene flashbacks in the modern story as well as non-continuity humor strips.

I almost stopped reading when I hit the text-heavy tribute to Agatha Christie in the middle, but I plowed through despite gaining nothing but misery.
Devann
This volume collects the six specials that go with the series [455 AD, 1373 AD, 1831 AD, 1923 AD, Christmas Special, and Funnies]. Most of them are pretty good but it's still a bit disappointing because I feel like every time we gain some plot momentum with this series the authors just decide to take a huge detour before moving on. I guess most of these were published years ago, but still.

I like that the four specials focused on certain years give us actual insight into the game that Minerva
John
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wicked+Divine is one of the better comics out there right now, and I feel it's criminally underrepresented next to say, Saga. The premise of the series is about a recurring pantheon of 12 gods who return to the earth every 90 years to live fast lives of revelry. (You live fast and die young within two years).

The series is slowly starting to give some answers, but this volume is a chance to explore the different dealings throughout the ages and experiment with times outside of smartphones.

Carey
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This blew my damn mind. I need to go back and read from the beginning but stupid school is making me read educational material.

Second reading: blew my mind even more. I highly recommend re-reading this after "Okay."
Michelle
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmm, I appreciate that the creators wanted to compile these special issues into one volume, but this didn't really work for me.

• I enjoyed the first three stories. They were typical WicDiv tales and they were solid. I liked all the guest artists' work as well.

• However, I didn't care for the fourth story at all. It's 90% prose and, honestly, it was a chore to read. I can appreciate Gillen wanting to do something different, but this was a bust for me.

• The Christmas annual was fine.

• Also wasn't
Dan
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This had a really strong start but then the writing got lazy halfway thru. Adding chunks of text instead of illustrating the story is just plain laziness. People DO NOT buy a comic to read it like a normal book. Not too mention the bullshit short at the end of this volume. For a Mature rated comic I was really disappointed to see juvenile type shorts at the end of this.
Leah
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited for everyone to get their hands on this volume! These bonus issues answer questions that the arcs haven't, and the Christmas Annual and Funnies are just a great fucking time.

After re-reading, here are my star ratings for each issue:
1831AD - 4 Stars
455AD - 4 Stars
1923AD - 5 Stars
1373AD - 5 Stars (personal fav of all)
Christmas - 5 Stars
Funnies - 3 Stars
Lenny
Volume seven of WicDiv was nothing short of phenomenal. Years worth of questions were answered in epic payoffs; fantastic art with meticulously researched details literally spanning all of time, and of course, a massive cliffhanger.

But don’t get too excited opening up volume 8 – you’re not going to get any resolution just yet. This volume collects the WicDiv specials, all of which were released at different times during WicDiv’s run. That means anyone reading the issues has already seen these –
Katey Moore
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2019
I was so confused.

This type of character and world building would have been much better earlier in the series. I powered through to get to volume nine. This volume left me more disoriented than anything.
Agnė
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8 is a collection of six special issues, four of which feature the endings of the previous Pantheons:

1) set in 455 AD, originally published after the issue 28;
2) set in 1373 AD, originally published after the issue 39;
3) set in 1831 AD, originally published after the issue 22;
4) set in 1923 AD, originally published after the issue 33, written mostly in prose;
5) Christmas Annual, originally published after the issue 33, features "deleted scenes" from the series;
rosalind williamson
this series is sort of like a car crash that you can’t bring yourself to look away from
Alex Sarll
Collecting the specials, in chronological order –meaning readers of the trades will have a very different experience to singles readers, who got them dotted between arcs in quite another order. My experience of the latter approach was...well, they certainly answered some of the questions the main arc was begging (given the death of the gods seems generally to come about through violence, could one of them just...not get killed? What happens then?). But at the same time they also reminded me of ...more
Sesana
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
A detour from the main story, to collect the special issues. Most of them are set in different historical eras, and they're uniformly great. My favorite was the 1831 issue, with obviously Byron and obviously Shelley and, most importantly, obviously Mary Shelley and obviously Claire Clairmont, Mary's step-sister. Perfect choices for the pantheon, and a great use of Frankenstein. The Christmas issue is not at all Christmas but still great fun. It's basically a collection of relatively unimportant ...more
Shannon Appelcline
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-indy, comics
A mostly innocuous series of Wicked + Divine stories. We get interesting looks at the gods in different eras, but the only one of them that's truly notable is 1923 AD. The glimpse at the gods at the edge of our technological age is pretty neat. Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of stories with heavy text components, but Gillen does decently with the exercise, and it allows him to tell a much larger story: basically, a miniseries about the last days of the 1923AD gods.
Lyndsay
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the strongest volume in the collection. Honestly, probably my least favorite volume. This one focuses a lot more on the history and there are full pages of text which became tedious to read. But it was interesting to continue to put the pieces together of this story and it made me so excited to read the final volume.
Morgan
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually like most of this volume. I liked the history special more, maybe because I got who most of them were based off. The holiday special felt kind of pointless. Interesting to see what the last volume is going to be like.
Jenny Clark
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image-comics
This continues to be a good series, and I like that we get to see the past pantheons a bit in this. I liked Lucifer as a nun, it was a really good story. Still really confused about some things, but we'll see how the last arc wraps em all up.
SSShafiq
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was an odd duck of a collection. This is a collection of stories by different artists exploring the past of the pantheon. This has nothing to do with the main story line so it could be skipped but some of the stories are great. Being a collection the stories do flip flop and not all of them landed for me. The last section of “funny” stories was the worst. Skip that and read the rest - I found it more entertaining than the main plot which is losing my interest.

My favourite was the
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Super creative but not the easiest to read. There’s so many story lines at this point I’m not sure which to follow.
R
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once I got past the fact that it was mostly written and not in graphic novel form, I quite enjoyed the 1920s murder mystery. The other stories were cool too.
Chihoe Ho
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I appreciate getting all the special issues put together in a collection and being able to enjoy WicDiv in its various storytelling forms and illustration styles. Some of the stories in this are engaging and fleshes out the mytho of this universe. Yet, this volume of the series illustrates just how uneven The Wicked + the Divine is - Volume 7 was surely a return to form, and that tension gets broken by a random collection right before the final chapter. I love the series, but at this point, just ...more
DeAnna Knippling
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The oldest con in the world continues, so that life can go on.

This is a hard collection to read - a lot of things-that-aren't-standard and iterations of previous storylines. I had one head-slapping moment at a buried clue. Can't wait to see this all wrapped up.

Nancy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review (plus V9) can be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/10/2...

This volume proved to be very atypical…it doesn’t continue with the big reveals from the previous volume…instead it is an interlude of historical specials that had been released at different times during the five year run of the series.

455 AD- You think you know how Rome fell to the German Vandals? Think again! Artist André Araújo drew great historical backgrounds but was not as precise with his humans. Colour
Cale
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Because this series isn't challenging enough to follow in its modern day plot, this volume throws a variety of previous iterations at us. Some have their moments, while others don't feel like they provide very much of value (although it may be because they were intended to be read earlier in the series and are just now being collected, once their utility is long past). There are some interesting ideas, and having one be basically a short story with occasional graphic interludes made for an ...more
Logan
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really not worth your time! This trade just collects one-shots and annuals, it doesn't continue the main series which will be wrapped up in Vol 9. I was excited to read this but honestly, it disappointed the issues weren't that engaging to read and were frankly boring. The artwork all around was very good as we see a variety of different artists and styles. It just wasn't enough to get me to really like this volume at all. Definitely skip it!
Sydney
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this artist featurette much more than the previous one! It felt much less jarring jumping around to different time periods. I wish I had all of the volumes with me so I could read them in the "proper order"! And the funnies at the end were great. Wicked and Dogvine 10/10 quality content.
I should've seen it coming that we wouldn't get progress on the last volume, since there's only going to be 9.
César
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The specials will be collected in cronological order (455AD, 1373, 1831, 1923, christmas, funnies), which is ok as a volume 8, but I still think they work better when read in publication order intersped with the rest of the series (Vols 1-4, 1831, Vol 5, 455AD, Vol 6, 1923, christmas, Vol 7, 1373, funnies).

1831 - 5 stars
455AD - 4 stars
1923 - 5 stars
Christmas special - 2 stars
1373 - 4.5 stars
Funnies special - 2 stars
Christine Aeschbacher
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOOOOOD! This is the history I’ve been wanting! I LOVED the “And Then There Were None” retelling that took place about halfway through. It was so fantastic.

I also enjoyed the bloopers and deleted scenes from previous issues. The last few pages of short scenes making fun of TW+TD from other artists/writers was unnecessary but fun for the authors, I’m sure, so I’ll allow it. Hahaha I skimmed through those.

I CANNOT WAIT for the final volume!! Next volume? Final volume? I don’t know. But it’ll
Ryan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume 8 is the only inessential volume in The Wicked + The Divine's run, due to its status as a collection of standalone stories shedding more light on past eras of Gods. While the individual stories are quite interesting and have stellar guest artwork, as a whole the collection feels a little haphazard and not very cohesive. But it is still worth a read by anyone invested in the series.
Liz
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Some good and some not-so-much. Of the historical issues, I liked the 455 AD issues and how the 1923 one provided some backstory. Also thought the Christmas issue was good and some of the Funnies were clever.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • East of West, Vol. 9
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Deadly Class, Volume 8: Never Go Back
  • Fix the World (Skyward #3)
  • Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • Outcast, Vol. 7: The Darkness Grows
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 1
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 10: Life is Too Short, Squirrel
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days #10)
  • Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10: Time and Again
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 2
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1)
  • Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)