Start by marking “The New World” as Want to Read:

The New World

(The New World #1-5)

Entertainment Weekly's Best Comics of 2018
The Onion's AV Club's Best Comics of 2018

The United States of America -- after the Second Civil War.

Two people meet and fall in love. One, a very orderly vegan hacker ready to make some mess. The other, a chaotic cop with a reality tv show that never stops.

Head. Over. Heels. With the entire Republic of New California after them,
Published January 22nd 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The New World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New World

Start your review of The New World
Erica
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is visually overpowering in a delightful way. The story, while nothing new at all, is both clunky and compelling, if such a thing can happen - In a future new world, reality star girl with political clout and little regard for other people's rules meets social activist vegan ethically-driven boy. They hook up and instalove and that's when the trouble starts.
It was fun and I enjoyed it up until the end when I was massively disappointed because all that build up, all those colors, all that
Stewart Tame
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The future. Stella is a rising star on a reality TV show where cops armed with the latest high tech battle armor catch--and sometimes execute--criminals. Kirby is a hacker who dreams of smashing the state. Before you can say, “Romeo and Juliet,” they're in love and on the run from, well, everybody. All together now: Can two young lovers from such different worlds ever find true happiness?

Fortunately this book has style to burn. Aleš Kot keeps the action coming fast and furious, with just enough
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

The art in this is absolutely GORGEOUS. Everything is so bright and all the different character designs are great. Every page is just so visually stimulating and there's so much to look at. I would definitely recommend it for the art alone if you're really into unique art styles and designs. The plot definitely took a little while to get off the ground and for a lot of the book it seemed like a very standard 'Romeo and Juliet sci-fi update' kind
Craig
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Too soon to tell if this is going to be any good (I'm assuming it will continue past this book, which doesn't really wrap anything up or provide a conclusion). Kot is one of those writers it takes a bit of getting used to and you either love him or hate him (or is it them, I forget?). This story isn't all that original and it doesn't really go anywhere, either. And while the artwork by Moore is really beautiful, at times, it gets stylized to the point of unintelligibility. Nice coloring work by ...more
SuperSillySerra
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read from 2018.

This book is so beautifully done. First off, the art is fantastic. It’s super vibrant and all the shapes have this like curve/roundness to it, it makes the book seem groovy. It has a lot of bright neon colors that also bring out this groovy attitude. The story is set some time in the future, so there’s a lot of really cool tech outfits and sweet weapon designs! And one scene at a rave that I could not stop looking at.
Cop on the run with the hacker she
Alex Sarll
A generation after their second Civil War, America remains divided. And in the new greater California, televised law enforcement is big business. A TV cop who won't kill falls for a straight-edge hacker - only to learn he's her next target, and this time she's meant to finish the job! I enjoy a nice daft Romeo & Juliet riff as much as the next sap, but this is held back both by Kot's characteristic flaws (the political preachiness verging on the Banksy even as it tries not to sound preachy, ...more
Theediscerning
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong four stars.

This is a very good comic, that manages to be both gaudy and trippy but gritty and edgy at the same time. Heck, it even turns from being The Running Man into The Truman Show and gets away with it. In some post-nuclear America criminals are hunted down as spectator sport, one by one, by enhanced and augmented police officers, who are also reality stars thanks to their inbuilt video camera streams and suchlike. The audience also has a vote on whether the perps get killed after
Koen Claeys
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aleš Kot brings a post-apocalyptic tale in which the United States are transferred into a divided states after being hit by several nuclear explosions. The story starts off really good and stays really good until an unsatisfying ending leaves you with a lot of questions. It feels like Kot started his own 'Saga' but the sales numbers forced him to limit this to five issues.
The artwork is stunning, a mixture of Incal-Moebius, Manga influences, psychedelic pop art, ... a lot of the pages are
Travis Duke
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Middle of the road for me, didn't love or hate it. I heard some buzz about this book so i grabbed it but honestly I underwhelmed. The story is about a futuristic world where two unlikely people meet and form a relationship. The writing is fine and so is the story, it kept me interested. So the art.... I was not a fan of, its unique and different but just not for me. Overall its a tough one to recommend, to me it didn't shine in anyone element.
Tabrizia
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was okay. An interesting story but wish there was a little bit more background to the creation of this dystopian universe. However, I did lose my interest half way and then it picked up towards the end.
Ashley Kempkes
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn, poc, non
Loved it! Worth reading!!!
Tiago
Not really a fan of the story or the dialogue but I'm throwing in an extra star for Tradd's art.
Becky Nos
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A shame it's a mini-series because i loved the art style and wished to read more!
Drown Hollum
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Well I love Tradd Moore's work. This book is no exception. His figures and sci-fi ideas are just great. The colors though are a touch simplistic, and don't do much to make the art pop. They look like flats rather than finished work, which is too bad, because some of these images could really use more dynamic lighting and depth to give Moore's work that surreal element that makes it so fun to look at.

Anyway, story is not much. It's a neat world, but the exposition is sinfully spat up on the
Benjamin Barham
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tradd Moores art is actually eye candy. I could look at his pages forever.
Pop Bop
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not A Dreary or Sappy Futuristic Actioner - This Is A Smart and Funny Futuristic Actioner

This TP collects the five issues of the "New World" series, which is described as a complete mini-series.

The idea here is that we are in a post-apocalyptic world, with the U.S. divided into five major regions. The action takes place in New California. This isn't a tale of famine and violence, though. New California is doing quite nicely, thank you; it just needs authoritarian rule and diverting entertainment
Simon
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
One day Ales Kot will stop devolving into a sentient puddle of self-cliche and lazy pitches about being open-minded and futuristic and anarchism and all that noise. For now, though, enter "The New World", the comic book version of a "Greatest Hits" album, except instead of hits it's largely garbage.

Basically, if you've read the majority of Kot's prior works, you'll be hard-pressed to spot a single new idea or beat here, except, perhaps, for the ill-advised inclusion of memes that were outdated
Dakota Morgan
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm typically not a fan of Ales Kot. Every piece he's written features a dystopic future, the rebellious child of an authority figure, strange, almost incomprehensible artwork, and a general downer attitude towards everything. The New World, despite meeting almost all of those criteria, completely caught me by surprise: I really liked it.

Set in New California after a nuclear war ravages the United States, The New World stars Stella Maris, child of New California's leader and current star of a
Paul Decker
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This comic takes place in the near future after a Second American Civil War. A nuclear event has destroyed most of the United States. This story takes place in the New Los Angeles, within the New California. The Guardians is an entertainment franchise that streams cops taking down perps and involves the audience voting on the
Bianca
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Attn: Fans of Akira/Katsuhiro Otomo, Moebius, DBZ, vintage vengeance flicks, The Wicked + The Divine. Anime people, Fifth Element fanatics, people who love a good AI character, those who plan to dance through the apocalypse.

A reality show in which police officers - wearing what I can only describe as full-on Judge Dredd in a club at the end of the world mech-suits - capture criminals and then wait for an audience poll to decide whether to jail or execute the suspect. Like American Idol, but for
Villain E
This was disappointingly generic. In the future, a reality show follows agents who are somewhere between law enforcement and bounty hunters. One such agent is Stella Maris, who always catches but never kills her quarry. Meanwhile a hacker named Kirby Miyazaki sneaks in to the government-run network studio and manages to interrupt the signal.

Stella, feeling depressed, and Kirby, feeling elated, go out dancing, meet each other without knowing who the other is, and hook up. Not long after, Kirby
Matt
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
So first off, I'm a fan of Ales Kot. I enjoyed The Surface and Bloodborne.

Zero is my second favorite graphic novel series of all time. I really like this guy's talents.

That said, The New World mostly falls flat. The political setting of a post second civil war America divided by walls and smaller nations doesn't really matter to the plot at all, its just sort of set dressing. It could be removed entirely and almost nothing would be lost.

The two main characters who "fall head over heels in
Jody
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked this up solely because I was intrigued by the cover art. And the artwork is for the most part brilliant (odd rendering of noses notwithstanding).

Alas, it's no more than another volume in the current run of derivative dystopian dreck (nuclear war, United States divided into territories, reality TV dominated culture, etc., etc., etc.). Only this one gets the Tumblr stamp of approval: everyone is mixed race, bisexual, polyamorous, gender fluid, etc., etc., etc. Bonus points for current
Holly
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I heard about this graphic novel yesterday while I was in Seattle at ALA Midwinter during the Image Comics Book Buzz and decided it sounded right up my alley, so I found it and checked it out. The best part? The entire story is collected in this volume, so the story arc is complete. I was pretty thrilled about that.

I mean you all know I'm a sucker for a romance, reality shows, and sci-fi graphic novels, and this one did not disappoint. I thought it was pretty well paced, with action and
Jamie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics
The first issue of this series may be one of my favorite single issues I have ever read. Ales Kot's writing is wordy and meandering with philosophical and technological buzzwords sprinkled throughout. The political subtext is intriguing, but I'm not sure it ever really delivers on what Kot's is trying to say. Narrative pacing is inconsistent with weird jumps in time and tone, but the overall story is fun with cool characters.
However, Tradd Moore's art is superb with bold line work and designs
Adriana
The art and most of all the coloring is what makes this book a great read. There are so many awesome details and references and homages found on each page that it's a joy just to browse through and discover new things every time you turn a page.
Storywise it's pretty middle of the road. It's a story that's been done to death and incredibly predictable, but it retains a certain level of entertainment value that sets it up to be enjoyable from beginning to end.
It's not something I would go out of
Molly
I always know that I'm going to get something interesting when Ales Kot is involved, and this is absolutely no exception. It took me a minute to get into the premise - the focus is on two characters who seem diametrically opposed: a rebellious outsider and a police officer. The officer has a reputation for never killing anyone in the line of duty, despite being featured on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style television program that lets viewers vote on outcomes -- even if they vote for a criminal ...more
John
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Ales Kot is a lot like Mark Millar--in that they're clever but often frustrating writers. They hit upon the same themes and techniques a few times and work on perfecting it. For Kot, is super open-minded progressivism often hitting behind the times.

The New World has lush art and lush worldbuilding. It's a cliche'd future, but that doensn't mean its wrong.

This is incredible art with a pretty melodramatic story--and that's a story that's coming from a template that is Romeo & Juliet. It's
(a)lyss(a)
This was around 3.5 stars for me.

I liked Kirby and Stella and rooted for them, but I was surprised the story was so short and ended where it did. The world building felt like some important details were missing and Kirby reminding everyone how straightedge they are was tiring after the first couple times.

I kept reading because I wanted to know what would happen and the art was intriguing. There are some cliches and there's so many questions I have I wish were answered but overall it's a good
Lovey Dovey Books
The New World is a fast-paced, sci-fi action romance. That seems like a lot to pack into a comic book series, but those genres work well together. I enjoyed the story's concept but I wasn't particularly fond of the artwork. On one hand, I loved how bright and colorful each page was, but on the other hand, I had a hard time enjoying the characters because their features were harsh and overdone.

The New World is diverse and engaging. You'll want to explore this altered version of the USA and see
« previous 1 3 next »