Start by marking “The Magic Order, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Magic Order, Vol. 1

The Magic Order, Vol. 1

(The Magic Order #1-6)

We live in a world where we've never seen a monster, and The Magic Order is the reason we sleep safely in our beds. Magic meets the Mob in The Magic Order, as five families of magicians -- sworn to protect our world for generations -- must battle an enemy who's picking them off one by one. By day, they live among us as our neighbors, friends and co-workers, but by night th ...more
Published April 23rd 2019 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Order, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Ruta S. Book has a little bit of horror but it is not scary.

Anne
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

It's not perfect, but I would definitely love to read more.

description

The gist is that The Order is a group of magic users who protect the earth from supernatural threats, and there is a that a severely dysfunctional family of magicians goes to war with mystic bad guys.

description

The entire time I'm reading this I was thinking that it was a pretty straightforward story aboutstars
It's
Sean Gibson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Take five families of magicians, stir in some bloody internecine conflict, add a dash of mysterious monsters, toss in several fistfuls of graphic violence, and throw in a pinch of completely unnecessary nudity and you’ve got The Magic Order.

Netflix’s first comic release (and soon to be streaming on a TV near you) is pretty typical Millar, which is intended as both a compliment and a caution. If you’ve dipped your toes into Millar’s creator-owned waters before, well, first and foremost, get a to
Sam Quixote
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The Magic Order secretly battles threats to humanity and keeps the peace - until now. A renegade group of magicians led by the evil Madame Albany is challenging the current Order, headed up by the patriarch of the Moonstone family, for power, and removing anyone in their way via the mysterious and deadly assassin, The Venetian. But do the Moonstones have a trick up their sleeve to prevail against this seemingly unstoppable onslaught…?

This is Mark Millar’s best comic since the first Jupiter’s Le
Chad
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
This is Millar's best idea he's had in years, perfectly executed by Olivier Coipel and Dave Stewart. Yes, it's a simple concept. Evil magicians start murdering good ones in order to obtain an all-powerful book. Millar leaves a ton of meat on the bone focusing on the basic story instead of character. But it's so well done though, that I want to see more. Coipel's art is so well crafted. There's a reason why he's one of the top artists working in comics. The end of the first issue is just chilling ...more
Štěpán Tichý
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
What was this? Oh, I'm so sad that I think about stories and that I love storytelling, otherwise, I'd enjoy this. This was bad. The story is unfortunately bad. One thing that is excellent is Olivier Coipel. It is magnificent and great. I want Olivier to draw everything. him and Clay Mann!

Art? 5*
Story? 2*

I'd love to give this lower rating. But I can't. Because of the art.

Back to this. Soft magic systems work. BUT. "A wizard did it" doesn't work when every
Kyle
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

Damn, this was good!

Such a simple concept, but executed so very well by Mark Millar and his team. I haven’t read any of Millar’s previous work, but I’m familiar enough with it to know that this is pretty exceptional! An order of (good) magicians tasked with keeping the world safe, being hunted down by a mysterious assassin and a band of renegade (evil) magicians. There ya go.

For such a short series, it packed just the right amount of characterization for me/>Damn,
Monsour
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Rod Brown
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. The greatest thing Mark Millar's written in a while, or possibly ever. I usually disparage his graphic novels by saying they are simply movie pitches, but I'm on board with this one 100%. Bring on the Netflix series ASAP!

Intriguing characters, clever twists, cinematic shots and dialogue, all well served by the awesome art of Olivier Coipel.
Shannon
This was just ok honestly, the earlier issues are better and it just kind of fizzles.

Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6

Total review score: 2.58
Jakub Kvíz
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A fun, action-packed story about the order of wizards living in our world and protecting us from evil and darkness. But it's mostly about members of The Magic Order being killed one by one.

It's similar to Millar's Reborn where the reader is thrown into a complex world with little explaining but The Magic Order is a really easy-to-read story with perfect art and huge plot hole at the end.

I wonder if this is just a "preview" for possible Netflix TV show or if Millar plans t
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
You have seen this expression, "Harry Potter for adults" all over the place in marketing books. I know right off the Lev Grossman's The Magicians has certainly been marketed that way. It is a much closer approximation to the Harry Potter universe than this story is, but you get a general idea. Lots of books for adults want to capture the kind of magic that Harry Potter battling evil unbeknownst to muggles captures for kids. This is one of those books that loosely attempts at this.

The
Alan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
By the time I got to the end of the book I came away with the feeling that this reminded me of Millar's Jupiter books (Circle and Legacy). This is a very story driven tale, and not a lot of characterization takes place. That doesn't make it a bad book, but the characters felt interchangeable to me in many ways. Yes, they have different names, look different, but...

At the end it didn't feel like any of them stood out. The premise is good. A family essentially controls magic in the wor
Václav
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh yeah. Millar brings good stuff to the table. This six-issue long battle between humans with powerful magical abilities, who hide in plain sight for centuries was awesome. It's shocking, brutal, clever and the art of Olivier Coipel is splendid. I love how the story unwinds and together with art, it's beautiful and thrilling. I would love to have more of that, but that would maybe dilute the kick of it. You know, when Millar creates a "believable" setting with so vivid and lifelike character wh ...more
Valéria.
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
No time for long reviews so:
1) I loved every single character, all were special in some way
2) it was pretty fun
3) the artwork? magnificent. the bloody parts? those were excellent!
4) I decided not to think about what all is really bad about this because honestly, logic is totally missing, and actions of some characters are... well, let's say it could have been made somehow different - but, I decided to take this as pure fun, right after second or third page, therefore, I i
Frédéric
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
4,5*

Based on quite simple premises- good vs evil magicians fighting over a forbidden book- Millar & co. deliver an intense book.

It's full of good ideas on magic and artefacts- the trapping books, the Chronogoblin-, sustained with thrilling action and some killer twists I didn't see coming for the most part. The Venetian murders are particularly impressive- No bloodless adava kedavra here- but honestly most action scenes are.

This book wouldn't be half as good with
Lukáš Pokorný
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Art is great and there are some cool ideas. That's all. That's all positives I can say about this series. This is one of the most shallow, lazy and cheap stories I have ever read. No foreshadowing, no hinting, no coherence of the magic world. Just continual sequence of making shits up and lazy (magic) solutions for the plot. To be specific let me explain.
Consider Harry Potter (obvious story to compare). In each book author explains some new principles and characters and foreshadows to the reade
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Gorgeous drawings, solid plot. 3,5/4 stars.
I'd have liked it to be longer, to get more details on the characters and get some backstories.
As it happens very often with comics, the story felt quite short. It totally has to do with the format but when you like what you read, you always want more, right?
Anyway, it was a good moment. I could stare at those pages for hours, Olivier Coipel's work is simply stunning.
David
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Giving it five stars cause the art is AMAZING and that's mainly what I look for in a comic. The plot on the other hand is very simple, like very on the surface, I liked the characters but the story could've been developed better.
Michael J.
Mark Millar is a skilled storyteller who manages to take familiar themes and make them fresh. Olivier Copiel is a talented illustrator whose ability to convey various emotions through facial expressions and body language is brilliant, as well as his high-powered action scenes.
A secret order (several generations of select families) have protected Earth forever from various threats through the utilization of magical abilities and spells. The best defense and a lifelong mission is to keep a dang
Bárbara
Nice story but very underwhelming. The art is incredible though.
Rory Wilding
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Ever since the publication of the first Harry Potter book in 1997, the successful franchise has spanned across numerous mediums and has remained an ongoing influence for other creators, paving the way for a swath of young adult fiction in sci-fi and fantasy. In fact, JK Rowling’s Wizarding World is so evident in today’s culture that its influence even shines on Mark Millar’s latest Image comic The Magic Order.

Please click here for my full review.
Munawar Mobin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This novel perfectly sums up both of creators' oeuvre - Mark Millar's meh story telling with amazing universe building with Oliver Copiel's brilliant artwork, consistently great

The story told through these tiny 6 issues was nothing new, nothing refreshing and nothing revolutionary. It was a pretty heard of story with a lightly packed twist in the end. However, I'd be at a loss if i didn't mention how good the universe itself is. The magic in this world out lives things done with any
Ruthsic
Warnings: body horror, physical violence, child death, full-frontal nudity

Rep: Queer character and POC characters

The Magic Order has magicians acting as guardians for regular humans, working from the shadows to help with magical cases while also living among the people as regular folk. This story revolves around the Moonstones, one of the five families tasked with this guardian role, as well as protecting an ancient book of dangerous spells. As members of the Inner Circle of the Order start getting assassina/>Rep:
Dávid Novotný
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
So much wasted potential. Interesting world, beautiful artwork but story is pretty simple and dumb, witch chaotic finale. Millar should spread this to more issues, build the world, characters and plot. World full of magic, forbidden spells and artefacts gives so many possibilities. Instead we get some small glimpses, and comics which serves more like short trailer to attract tv producers and gives you feeling that you already red this many times before.
Will
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is like any Mark Miller plot: there are sexy antiheroes who kill each other without too much regret or fuss, and then they talk about why they’re the good guys.

The one thing you will never find in a Miller story is an idea that says maybe the people with the most power aren’t right. It’s not Warren Ellis, it’s not Hickman. It’s a simple and pure white crystal lie. So I’m a bit grossed out.
Alexander Peterhans
Read as 6 seperate issues

Starts pretty interesting, but then suffers from inconsistent storytelling and cliched dialogue.

The ending was a bit of a letdown, specifically (view spoiler)
Jonathon Rodzik
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great comic series and story. The story and art were fabulous. Can’t wait for the Netflix series and book 2!
Dakota Morgan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harry Potter meets John Wick. A magic order keeps humanity safe from magical enemies, but internal clashes have led to a spate of assassinations. One magical family must stop the murders without first killing each other. It's all classic Mark Millar: a troubled, powerful family must come together to solve a fantastical problem BUT WAIT there's a crazy twist that you won't see coming. And of course the art is fantastic.

Somehow, Millar also manages to create a unique-ish setting and a handful of well-rounde
Venus Maneater
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never expected this to be so wonderful, to resonate so perfectly with me.

The art is amazing, every page is a work of art and there are some spreads I just had to stare at for a while. Everyone is just so beautiful, even when they're meant to be ugly.

The story is just what I wanted. Wizards in the modern world, hidden from view. It feels a little like something China Mieville would write, maybe?

The humor is wonderful. The obese, pony-tailed neckbeard as the keeper of artifacts had
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more

The Magic Order (6 books)
  • The Magic Order #1