Start by marking “Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)

Space Boy Volume 3

(Space Boy #3)

A sci-fi drama of a high school aged girl who belongs in a different time, a boy possessed by emptiness as deep as space, an alien artifact, mysterious murder, and a love that crosses light years

To Amy, everyone has a flavor. Her Agriculture Club mate Tamra is like banana, while another Club mate, Shafer, is like milk chocolate; two flavors that Amy thinks are in sync.

Published March 12th 2019 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Space Boy Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Boy Volume 3

Start your review of Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)
Chad
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
I will preface this by saying this is for younger children, probably middle school aged. There's a lot of fluff and manufactured high school drama. That being said, the author does explore some interesting aspects of space travel. Amy grew up on a mining colony. When her father lost his job, her family moves back to Earth. The twist is that Amy spends 30 years in cryosleep. All her friends in the colony are now grown and have children of their own. On Earth she feels out of place and time, ...more
Francina Simone
I have mixed feelings about this one. The art is great as usual, but there is a dark undertone that feels bigger than “teen drama” but is stretched so thin I feel like it’s not quite going anywhere? I enjoy the contemporary aspect and sorta wish it was just that.

I’ll still read book 4 to see how it ends but I think I’m falling out of love after this one.
Rod Brown
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Another pleasant if meandering volume of this romance/mystery/sci-fi mishmash. The mysterious Space Boy remains mysterious, though a little more annoying this time with another criminal act. The concept remains a little loopy with our heroine who "smells" people's personalities somehow able to apply this ability over a Skype call from deep space. Fun teen soap opera, though.
Lauren
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series!

The part with Amy and Jemmah made me cry!

Full RTC
Storme
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is so awesome. I have to read them every time they arrive at the library. It’s super cute, and I just adore the art style. Definitely geared toward younger readers but still a lot of fun!
Jes Reads
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another adorable addition to the series. Loved the addition and depth of newer characters. The family dynamic and relationships were on point as always.
H.R.
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will forever need more Space Boy
Brenda Lower
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series. Can't wait for number 4!
Tammy
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite one so far! I even cried!
Kelly
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Continuing with the animal ag. storyline introduced in Volume 2, this installment of Space Boy is a real rollercoaster of animal welfare ethics. Sitting down to eat a chicken salad sammie in front of the baby chicks she just spent the better part of an hour snugging, Amy immediately recognizes the moral dilemma barrelling down on her: and she steps up by deciding to go vegetarian. A few days later, she's at a diner and mistakenly takes a bite of Oliver's sandwich, which contains bacon. "Well, as ...more
Dakota Morgan
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoy all the characters in Space Boy, I really do, and McCranie's artwork and lettering continues to charm. But the pacing is just so slow. Here we are in the third volume and we barely know anything about the titular character. Amy, the actual main character, makes a moderately bold move that doesn't really open up new story opportunities. The most exciting thing in this third volume is whether Zeph will ask Amy to the dance. It often feels like Space Boy could be set today rather than in ...more
Ken Yuen
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. A lot of things that were set up earlier are paying off. Still don't know what's going on with Oliver. No spoilers, since I don't know, but I'm totally thinking he's a robot.
LibraryLass
Lindsey
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The plot thickens!

Ugh. Cassie started out pretty cool, but then turned into a mean girl. Why are girls awful to each other?
Chelsea Hill
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm glad that Amy finally contacted Jemmah in this volume. I loved seeing how their relationship has remained fundamentally similar to what it was when they were both children in deep space. Once again, I'm loving Amy's relationship with Oliver and her other friends. However, I feel like this series is extremely slow at developing. While there have been a few small hints here and there about plot points that will become more significant later, I can't help but wish that this volume gave ...more
Becky B
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picking up where Space Boy 2 left off, Amy has her first meeting as a member of the Agriculture Club and gets a seemingly-impossible assignment, Zeph is still trying to work up the nerve to ask Amy to Homecoming, Amy meets with Oliver who challenges her to actually talk to Jemmah instead of pretending like she's gone forever, and rumors about Amy and Oliver start to spread when Cassie snaps a picture of part of a note he wrote her.

I like that this book finally has some resolution to Amy's agony
Timea
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series so much! Even though I've read all the available chapters on webtoons, I still can't stop buying the books!
I thought that this volume is very emotional, as it focuses on Amy and her best friend Jemmah who have been apart for 30 years. Understandably, Amy is very scared of the possibility that both of them have grown apart. I had to cry again when I read this part, even though I already knew how it would play out. Knowing the rest of the story also made me cry on entirely
Karissa
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was another decent installment in the Space Boy series by McCranie. Both my son (12 yr old) and I thought this was pretty slow but still well done. My son commented “When are we going to be done with this lame school stuff and get to the cool space stuff again?”...my thoughts exactly.

Amy is continuing to adjust to life on Earth. The mystery around Oliver is still very slowly being unraveled. I did like that Amy finally decides to reach out to her old friends from her life in deep space.

This
Tib
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm still loving this story and THE ART. My guys, if anything, please pick this series up for the art. It's so ridiculously adorable I can't stand it. The story is heartfelt and bittersweet too. Amy finally gathers the courage to call and talk to Jemmah this volume and it was rough to read at first. I really felt for Amy who is really like an alien on the planet because everything she liked or new about is now thirty years in the past and not cool or hip or even known to her peers. I still ...more
Su
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was especially fond of this volume, with its focus on relationships and how much of the change in a relationship is due to time and circumstances and how much is caused by our own decisions. It’s a topic I don’t think we give a lot of conscious thought to and it was integrated in a very natural way and was genuine. This series is rated for 10+ and I think that’s totally accurate in that it’s super cute and great at relating to all sorts of “adult” content to kids in a way that’s manageable but ...more
Jennifer Green
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with the earlier volumes, this is a well illustrated graphic novel. I realize that it's a compilation of the online serialized piece, but it works well in this format as well. The mystery is still forming, and the characters are being fleshed out nicely. Both of my kids are now into the books as well. The eldest has started to read ahead online and the younger is asking me when the next volume is coming out .... I think that's a good sign especially as neither pick up a book when they can do ...more
Alissa
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I really do like these stories, but I just can't do the serialized thing anymore. Perhaps once the series is over I'll come back to it because the characters are great and I'm interested in what's happening, but it's just not moving quickly enough for me. I've read three books now, and I know very little. Hopefully I'll remember. Don't let me deter you though, if you don't mind serialized stories, then this one is fantastic.
Rebecca Ann
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally, Amy seems invested in her life on Earth and is getting to know Oliver, Zeph, Scott, and Cassie more. Cassie is giving off some villainous notes, mostly because she is always looking annoyed with Amy. With the story firmly in place, I can't help but wonder if a plot is forthcoming with Oliver.
Aud
I don't actually know how much of the webcomic is in this volume but I've read everything that's available (were getting into volume 6 now I think) and it's a beautifully crafted comic. The art is gorgeous. The story is amazing and sad and heartwarming and exciting. I definitely want to own this one physically.
Nadina
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved how the story progressed in this volume. I don't really like Cassie too much, I don't like her attitude or how she is.
I wish we had more about Oliver, but this volume seemed to ignore his character again in some ways, or at least his past.
Good pace, good illustrations and good characters, I can't wait for the next volume.
Amy makes more friends in the agriculture club, struggles with earth culture and history, and gets a prom date. She finally faces her life in deep space and is rewarded to find that she still has friends far away.
Olivia darlingreads
4.5 Stars! This is seriously one of my new favorite graphic novel series!! This particular book managed to be both super adorable and emotional, I actually cried while reading a certain scene in this book. Ah I love these characters so much, and I love this series! ...more
Heather
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Vol 3 is pretty much all school drama. We don’t learn much new about Oliver, other than his fear of being out of touch with reality, and confining hat he’s orphaned. This issue felt a good deal more middle school targeted than the last two.
Marilyn B
Cute and sweet. I liked getting to know Jemmah a bit better and Amy finally had enough of a conversation with Oliver to flesh him out a little into a real character. This wasn’t the best of the bunch though.
Hapsari Darmastuti
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know it hasn't come out yet but I've caught up with all the webtoons episode so far and I still gave it an overall 5 stars
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pilu of the Woods
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Stargazing
  • The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)
  • Mooncakes
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Bloom
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Okay Witch
Stephen McCranie has been drawing comics since before he could read or write. He graduated from the University of New Mexico with a degree in Fine Arts and currently lives and works out of a small apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Space Boy (6 books)
  • Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • Space Boy Volume 2 (Space Boy, #2)
  • Space Boy Volume 4 (Space Boy, #4)
  • Space Boy Volume 5 (Space Boy, #5)
  • Space Boy Volume 6 (Space Boy, #6)