Start by marking “Careless Love” as Want to Read:

(Inspector Banks #25)

The thrilling twenty-fifth instalment in Peter Robinson's #1 bestselling Inspector Banks series, in which Banks and his team find themselves investigating two suspicious deaths.

A young, local student has apparently died by suicide. Her body is found in an abandoned car on a lonely country road. She didn't own a car. Didn't even drive. How did she get there? Where did she d
Published October 23rd 2018 by McClelland & Stewart (first published July 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Careless Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Careless Love

Stephen Robert Collins
I have met the author twice, Peter is very friendly person who comes originally from Richmond in Yorkshire & lived near Barnard Castle which were Bowes Museum is a market town like Richmond but Barnard is hilly has a castle both towns are mashed like James Herriot did to make one.
I have read all the Banks books & can remember when First started before he was popular as now I had lot of difficult in get first ones,even had read two in large print all early ones out of order my favourite i
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
I am a little ambivalent about this particular DI Banks read. Contemporary themes and an intriguing crime were not enough to demand my complete attention to this read. I drifted, put the book down and read over several days. I was annoyed by frequent musical references which seemed to stymie the flow of the narration and were a little pretentious. Why didn’t I feel this way about the last book? I don’t even recall there being such a heavy burden of musical references in pasts reads… mayb
Jeff Dickison
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Alan Banks mystery. Alan and his teams are working on two separate strange deaths. Can it be that they are related? Of course! After all these years Alan feels like an old friend. I just wish Robinson would find him a girlfriend to settle down with. I enjoy the musical references because I am a collector of 50's, 60's & 70's music. I don't know of any collectors, however, whose tastes run from Gene Pitney to opera. In 50 years of collecting I have never met such a creature. Reco ...more
Sherrie
Slightly disappointing, not up to his usual standard. Good story idea but not put into practice as well as it could have been.
Bruce Hatton
The 25th novel in this enduring and highly enjoyable series does, perhaps, show signs that the author is running short of new ideas for Detective Superintendant Alan Banks and his now all-female team of investigators: DI Annie Cabbot, DS Winsome Jackman and DC Gerry Masterson.
The novel begins with the discoveries of two bodies in remote locations. Firstly, a young female student in an abandoned car who’s died from a drug overdose; secondly, a widowed businessman in his sixties found in a gully
Kerrie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very readable police procedural.

Bank's small team is called to deal with 2 deaths, one a young female uni student, and the other a financier in his 60s. At first the deaths do not seem to be murders but there is no way to explain how the bodies came to be where they are. The young woman appears to have died from a drug overdose but she is sitting in a car waiting to be towed away, and she wasn't there just days before. The man on the other hand is at the bottom of a gully on the moors with a bro
Patty
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By
Peter Robinson

What it's all about...

A young girl is found dead in the midst of a car crash that she wasn’t even involved in. A man is found dead...as though he simply fell off of a cliff. Then another young girl is found dead...all under mysteriously odd ccircumstsnces. But as is typical of Inspector Banks books...there are just too many mysterious unexplained circumstances and the more he digs...the more he finds.

Why I wanted to read it...

Inspector Banks...I am so fond of him...
Rachel
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmmmm.......I am a big fan of Alan Banks and Annie Cabot and have read most of the books in the series. I enjoyed this one overall but I have a few criticisms. I found the interviews in the first part very tedious and would have preferred to have them rounded up for the readers information rather than have had to be present for each one. Especially given that most of the answers were ‘I don’t know’. Like in some previous books the musical references are too frequent and also become ho hum. Lastl ...more
Lorraine
I was happy to get back to Eastvale with all the regular characters I have learned to love. This case involved a young woman's body found in a broken down car left on the side of the road in a remote location. Then a man's body is found in a remote park down a crevasse. How did they get to the sites of their death without transport?

This case proceeded quite leisurely and we met Annie's father's new girlfriend, Zelda, who does something mysterious in London involving facial reflection. She has se
Samuel Bigglesworth
I won't rate as I didn't finish.

This is very commercial reading, with some current affairs references in it, I guess to make it current. There are mentions of Brexit and I can't remember what else.

The opening is intriguing.

The characters are often types, with not enough detail to make those characters feel like an individual within that type. There may be some description added to make them feel different, but they didn't feel too real to me. I struggled to feel their pain.

I did like the detecti
Anke
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was slightly better than the previous one, therefore 3 stars, but again it took me forever to finish, the whole story meandered along without much happening and lots of stuff mentioned and described that wasn't really necessary for the story. Even the ending meandered along until the final page. On top of that it was obvious quite soon what the connection between all characters would be, at least for me.

No idea why I still read this series, but I'm sure I'll try the next book again.
Luanne Ollivier
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 DS Alan Banks returns in Careless Love - the 25th entry in this long running and much loved series from Peter Robinson. (Yes, I've read every one!)

I never bother reading the synopsis before I turn the first page of the latest Banks book. I already know I'm in for a great read. And so I happily settled in on a rainy Sunday morning.

A young girl's body is found in an abandoned car. Suicide or something else? Banks and DS Winsome Jackman take on this case. DI Annie Cabot and newer addition DC Ge
Jaclyn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid, interesting mystery but didn't super grab me.
Linda
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-not-read
First, I need to make it clear that I am a big Peter Robinson fan - will buy his books in hardback even. I’ve been a fan from the beginning, so as author and reader we go waaaay back. But, as one Yorkshireman to another, Peter, I gotta tell ya - STOP with the f$&@!~% music references in every bloody paragraph. You are starting to enter the Ken Barlow circle of boring, pretentious know-it-alls.

As far as a plot goes - it’s only slightly less predictable than a White House press conference. Cer
Bernice
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Fairly undemanding read: I've started to skim over those annoying musical references. But not particularly memorable, I doubt if I'll remember much about the plot in a few months time.
Anne
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 25 in the Detective Inspector Banks series. Two bodies are found and D I Banks works to find out what happened to them and identify if there is a connection between the two.
I found this novel moved at a slow pace and did not really hold my attention. I felt something was lacking and hoped it would develop into a gripping story but unfortunately it did not and was somewhat disappointing.
Herzog
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
A superbly constructed Banks mystery. We have a couple of unusual deaths that may or may not be related. Robinson involves the entire team in the investigation. In addition, there is a sub-plot involving Annie's father's girlfriend, Zelda, related to an earlier incident. Robinson carefully crafts the story with lots of interesting insights into the team with which we are so familiar.
Natasha
Book 25 and the series is still going strong. Looking forward to the next book to read the answers at the end of this one.
Anna robretson
This book was extremely slow moving and slow to develop.., Banks is to philosophical in this book.. for a Banks novel I felt Mr. Robinson was just phoning it in..
Anna
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read all of this series and as a fan of ‘series’ books I’m as drawn to the settings, characters and themes as I am to any plot resolution. I enjoyed the earlier books in the series particularly for the rural North Yorkshire setting. The feeling of the police station being part of the community in a small market town. I did find that some of the writing was repetitive and clunky but as the series progressed I felt that the writing improved significantly. I can’t say that has been sustained o ...more
Jamie Bowen
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Two bodies are discovered, one a student, the other a respectable businessman, seemingly no connection but there is something more to it and can Inspector Banks find that connection? A disappointing book, it doesn't feel like it gets going and once you reach the conclusion, I can only presume this book was being setup for a follow up.
Pamela Mingle
I love Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks novels. And the TV series as well. I was so disappointed when I heard it had come to an end. Robinson's books are consistently good--well written, thoughtful, and exquisitely plotted.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

But I found this one very disappointing. I felt ahead of the detectives much of the time. It was so obvious from the first time Banks and Winsome Jackman searched Adrienne's bed-sit that she was involved in the sex trade in some way. The clues were all there.
mrs jill a phillips
No spoilers here so feel free to read on! I think I may also be giving up on Robinson/Banks. This was the most incredibly plodding offering thus far.
There was a ridiculous litany of music references with the poetry nonsense catching up - neither content contributing a single thing to the story. Did he have a word count to reach? As Banks is clearly itching for a new vehicle, maybe the next one will attempt to educate us about cars. Please concentrate on plot Mr Robinson!
Alison C
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young woman apparently commits suicide, but the location of her death makes no sense: in a parked car on a country road, even though the woman didn’t drive. An older man’s body is found at around the same time, apparently dying from an accidental fall into a gully, but why was he dressed so formally and why no identification? As Detective Superintendent Alan Banks and Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot ponder these mysteries, the new girlfriend of Annie’s father Ray provides a clue that only de ...more
Bonnie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The greatest praise for this novel is Stephen King who states: "The Alan Banks Mystery suspense novels are the best on the market. Try one and tell me I'm wrong." Well, I just finished reading Careless Love by Peter Robinson and Stephen King is not wrong. It is top notch police procedure at its finest. A young student has apparently committed suicide and her body is found in an abandoned car on a stretch of lonely road. She doesn't even drive and doesn't own a car. So, how did she get there? Mea ...more
Liza
This was a readable if pedestrian addition to the Inspector Banks series. A series of seemingly unrelated deaths which might not be due to foul play turn out to be linked. Meanwhile Annie Cabot’s father’s lover reignites interest in Peter Keane who tried to kill Banks in a house fire.

Whilst the story was resolved in the end, there were a few unsatisfactory aspects. I found the justification for having a 30 year old attractive woman (Zelda) with 70 year old man (Ray) implausible and pure wish ful
Robin
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Robinson’s Inspector Banks books are classics of the rare sort – British police procedurals that aren’t too dark, and have a sympathetic main character at the center of things. Banks is a decent guy, obsessed with music and wine (reading the books is a crash course in jazz) and respectful of his co-workers. That said, I was thinking recently about what makes a book great, rather than just good. And I think its theme.

Good books are well structured, have interesting characters and settings,
Christina McLain
Here we go again. While I have liked this series for the most part for many years, I find the more recent novels have become a tad unsettling to me. Frankly, there seems to be more than a little sub rosa sexism in them. It's not cruel or misogynistic but I do think there is a lot of middle-aged male fantasizing going on here.
Example one: its pretty obvious to me and probably a lot of other Banks devotees, that Annie is inching her way back to the Boss. She is secretly in love with him, while h
Jarmby
Dec 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspector-banks
I have read all of Inspector Banks books, so clearly at some stage I was an appreciative reader.
Should this have been my first Inspector Banks it would have been my last ( and in any case will be my last)
If I had a Conservatory such a the one Banks so often frequents I would have selected a wine that matched my mood and reading expectations. Naturally a careful selection of music such as Jools Holland Live 2015 would have set my mind in the right frame.
But this was not to be.
The next day needi
Breakaway Reviewers
Number 25 in the DCI Banks series

Two separate deaths in two separate locations but are they linked? A young girl’s body left in a car which had previously been involved in an accident on Belderfell Pass and had ‘Police Aware’ tape on it and a man’s body found on Tetchley Moor looking like a tragic accident.

Banks and his team have their work cut out to get to the bottom of why the girl appeared to have taken a drug overdose but had been placed in the abandoned car post-mortem. When another girl’s

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in En

Inspector Banks (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Dry Bones that Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Blood at the Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
“I can’t say I understand any of it, myself,’ said Banks. ‘Me, neither,’ said Gerry.” 0 likes