Start by marking “El origen de los otros” as Want to Read:
El origen de los otros

El origen de los otros

La visión de la gran Toni Morrison, Premio Nobel de Literatura, sobre la vida y la identidad racial.

¿Qué es la raza y por qué es importante? ¿Qué motiva la tendencia humana a construir Otros? ¿Por qué la presencia de esos Otros nos asusta tanto?

Basándose en sus Norton Lectures, Toni Morrison aborda estas y otras cuestiones que dominan cada vez más la política mundial: la r
Published September 13th 2018 by Lumen (first published 2016)

Start your review of El origen de los otros
Olivia
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I was 1/8 as smart as Toni Morrison’s thumb.
Janani
Honestly Toni Morrison could write her drink order on a napkin and I would love it.
Jon Nakapalau
Toni Morrison has long been on my list of authors to read - but I never seem to have time to make for her. Now I will - this book was beyond any expectations I had. I can truly say that this slim volume has opened my eyes wide to so many issues in which we make other people 'Others' who are not like us - and hence do not deserve the same consideration we give to those we consider like 'Us'. This book should be right alongside The True Believer by Eric Hoffer - highest recommendation.
Book Riot Community
DISCLAIMER: I have not read this book, which is the transcripts of a series of lectures Morrison gave about the themes that preoccupy her books. But I feel like it’s not getting any press anywhere, and how can that be, when people need to know that there’s a new ToMo book out in the world!!! And even better, with an introduction by Ta-Nehisi Coates! Consider yourself informed now.

Backlist bump: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new
Sue Dix
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since this book only took me a day to read, I will likely go back and read it again. Contained in it's 111 pages is so much that cannot possibly be absorbed in one read through. From the introduction through to the end of the 6th lecture, there is so much that we still need to learn, that I still need to learn. To deconstruct the "Other", we must know her and face her and realize that she is us. "Race is the classification of a species, and we are the human race, period." I highly recommend this ...more
Gabrielle
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly put this on my reading list because, I mean, it's Toni Morrison. But it gets 5 stars not just because it's Morrison, but because she is genius. This tiny book packs so much into just a few pages. For a lover of Morrison's body of literature this is a treat or an invitation for those new to Morrison. I have often been troubled by the way that "celebrated" white writers have treated race and the Other in their work and Morrison articulated it in a way that I never could. I highly recomm ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Brilliant. The Origin of Others is a collection of Morrison's reflections and explorations of race, otherness, and identity across the themes of her work. She also deconstructs and interrogates the portrayal of Blackness and how slavery is romanced in 19th century literature.

Though a short 111-pages, The Origin of Others contains so much potency. This is the sort of book to read, reflect, and absorb slowly.
Kathrin
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Separating the "us" from the "other" has been used to strengthen the "us" in order to have a common enemy. It's a strategy to peg groups of people against each other. Toni Morrison's reviews this concept of "othering" with examples in literary works of her own and of other authors. This collection of essays is very current in the light of the political climate in the USA, but also on a grander scale due to globalization and the refugee crisis in Europe.
Diz
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, culture
In this short book based on a series of lectures by Toni Morrison the issue of othering is explored through her own personal experiences and the experiences of characters in her novels. Whether you enjoy this book or not will depend on how familiar you are with Morrison's works. If you've read many of her works, you will understand the references she makes. If you haven't, the references might go over your head.
Ifeyinwa
While I liked this a lot, it felt like Morrison could have gone a little deeper. Maybe it's only meant to serve as an intro to her works, as opposed to fully-fleshed out analytical essays. Worth reading!

------------
3.5 stars.

The Origin of Others is a collection of lectures, delivered at Harvard University in 2016, that serves as a potent and relevant read. The lectures explore the theme of "Othering," that is the act of defining/creating the outsider. It's funny how this book feels simultaneous
Angelina
This small volume contains six lectures where Morrison explores themes that are central to her novels, too - race, the need to belong, the concept and fear of the Other, the mass movements of people, the preoccupation with colour and more. She usually does it by examining literary works, as well as by talking about some of her novels and by sharing personal experiences.
As usual, her words and observations educate, stir and provoke and always leave me in admiration of the depth and scope of her w
Jenna
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, race
"The Origin of Others" is a short but powerful book. It is based on the series of Norton lectures that Toni Morrison delivered at Harvard in 2016. In it she discusses the human concept of Otherness. Where does this come from? What makes us fear and hate people we perceive as different from us? Why do we need to identify people as "Others"? Drawing on examples from literature, both her own and other American writers, Ms. Morrison delves into the history of race and racism in America.
It is amazing
Sara
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, non-fic
I enjoyed Toni Morrison's explanations of how she incorporated various dynamics of race into different of her fictions. I appreciated how she was explaining how she used fiction to attempt to explore and understand the constructs of blackness and whiteness and otherness. Her discussions about how "othering" others reduces people from individuals to non-human ciphers on which one can project what one wants for their own benefit reminds me of one of the themes explored in Infinite Jest. ...more
Chad
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great series of essays (lectures, really) concerning the Other (who that is and how they are classified) and how literature contextualizes the constructs of how we view them. There’s a lot of food for thought here and I loved that Morrison pulled examples from her novels and provided insight into the artistic decisions she made to address race, class, and “the Other”. In his introduction to the text, Ta-Nehisi Coates calls Morrison “one of the finest writers and thinkers this country has ever ...more
Read By RodKelly
It was too short!!! Toni Morrison is simply brilliant and of course I enjoyed this insightful little collection of the essays!
Joslyn Allen
Review published: https://chronicbibliophilia.wordpress...

"Language (saying, listening, reading) can encourage, even mandate, surrender, the breach of distances among us, whether they are continental or on the same pillow, whether they are distances of culture or the distinctions and indistinctions of age or gender, whether they are the consequences of social invention or biology."

On this day - September 12, 2017 - the newest works of two heavyweights are being released to likely widely differin
Beverlee
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit to believing Toni Morrison’s writing is perfect. Reading The Origin of Others only reinforces this belief. This book is an examination of prevalent themes in Morrison’s work such as color-ism, racism, and slavery especially in the novels Paradise, Beloved, and The Bluest Eye. Why is literature set up so that one group is seen as acceptable, wholly realized individuals and any person not belonging to that group seen as other or less than? We know literature most likely is rooted in realit ...more
Fran
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot to process while reading this short book. At moments the thoughts swirling through my head made it hard to breathe. I feel transformed as a result. Morrison not only touches on the "romance of slavery" and highlights the more salient examples in literature but she calls for the reader to examine their thoughts and actions in relation to the present day climate around the world. Thoughtfully she explains the purpose of most of her books and cries out for society to unite under the ...more
Salvatore
Interesting that she dives into her own fiction to elucidate some of the issues of race and power structures in America that her novels already seems to embody. I was hoping these lectures turned essays would ride closer to Playing in the Dark - as in a close reading of Hemingway and Faulkner and O'Connor. Some points I wish were further explored. Guess I just have to wait for her next novel!
Never Without a Book
I end my crazy long day with Toni Morrison’s The Origin of Others. Short , sweet, and to the point. Toni Morrison walks you through literature, racism/race, whiteness, and the creation of the Other. Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote a powerful Foreword to the book in which he describes Toni as “one of the finest writers and thinkers this country has ever produced.” I would be inclined to agree.
LaToya
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book by Ms Toni Morrison! It’s gives the reason why race matters from 6 different perspectives and literary examples to support them. I love a book that gives me even more books to read! 😁
Jana Light
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, moving, challenging collection of Morrison's 2016 Norton Lectures at Harvard. I wish I could have listened to her speak them, to hear her talk about what she was doing in her writing and how that reflects what she saw/sees in the social, historical, and other-ing trends of America.
Erin
A review, or confession, or ramble (and trigger warning for police brutality discussed):

For too long I have thought racism a product of the baseless concept of race and thought that we should have long since stopped using the term. Sure, we’ve all inherited different features from our ancestors — some of my distinct features are my Czech face and my curly Italian hair. But what is with the arbitrary lines based primarily on skin color and why should black trump any and all other ancestry even if
David Rush
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Race it the classification of a species and we are the human race, period. Then what is this other thing – the hostility, the social racism, the Othering? Pg. 15

I especially appreciated the first part of this book with its focus of “Being or Becoming the Stranger” which is really the starting point to think about racism. I suppose the idea of “the Other” it is a starting point for thinking about humans in all aspects of engagement with the world and could be applied to not just people, but anima
Lynecia
3.5
I appreciate when my favorite writers do double duty as novelists, as well as critics. (See also, Chinua Achebe's adapted lectures and works of criticism. Morrison is indeed in conversation with him). For the most part, I found the lectures accessible and illuminating. For instance, I don't think I've noticed Morrison's refusal to explicitly racialize her characters, even though she has also made it quite clear that she is writing about Black people. I also appreciated that she references he
Sherri
I remembering seeing Toni Morrison speak about 20 years ago. Her book Paradise had just come out, and she read sections from it. This book, a transcript of her 2016 lectures, reminds me of that experience. In many of these lectures, Morrison shares how Paradise and several other of her books illuminate the complexities of "otherness" and also how they connect to our polarized political climate today. I really appreciated hearing her commentary about the books I've read (about half) and I'd like ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

This collection of essays are speeches by written by Toni Morrison. This is a short collection but Morrison is on point. The issues brought up in this book (race, culture and the idea of "others") are powerful and well supported. I recommend this book to everyone as it inspires great dialogue of what we should be accepting.
Aleatha Terrell
I read this book pretty quickly and I enjoyed it. I don’t want my low ranking to scare anyone away. I’ve watched Morrison’s lectures on YouTube and I was pretty excited to read this one. Unfortunately it covered topics that I’ve already heard her speak/write about, so I felt disappointed and I definitely wanted to read more.
Beverly
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, 2017
thoughts coming shortly
Keely
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this adapted collection of Toni Morrison’s 2016 Norton lectures at Harvard, she examines the psychological process of othering—of creating a less-than-human stranger against which we define ourselves as superior, worthy, and normal. Throughout her exploration, Morrison dips into slave and slave-owner narratives, as well as her own and others’ fictional works, to illustrate and bring her points to life.

This is a short book but a think-y one—equal parts compelling and fascinating. I understood

• Dio odia le donne
  • Eichmann: dove inizia la notte
  • The Toni Morrison Book Club
  • O amanhã não está à venda
  • Umanità in rivolta: La nostra lotta per il lavoro e il diritto alla felicità
  • Il corpo elettrico. Il desiderio nel femminismo che verrà
  • La società della performance
  • Hvordan bli (en skandinavisk) feminist
  • Plantation Memories
  • Redemoinho em dia quente
  • The Way We Live Now
  • What is love
  • Torto Arado
  • O Que é Racismo Estrutural?
  • In the Wake: On Blackness and Being
  • Manuale per ragazze rivoluzionarie: Perché il femminismo ci rende felici
  • La linea del colore
  • Ideias para Adiar o Fim do Mundo
Toni Morrison (born Chloe Ardelia Wofford) was an American author, editor, and professor who won the 1993 Nobel Prize in Literature for being an author "who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality."

Her novels are known for their epic themes, vivid dialogue, and richly detailed African American characters; among the best k