Jump to ratings and reviews

The Other Side of the Sky #2

Beyond the End of the World

Perfect for fans of Brandon Sanderson and Laini Taylor, this sequel to New York Times bestselling authors Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner’s genre-bending fantasy The Other Side of the Sky takes us to the grand sky-city of Ciel, where danger and mystery await.

Time to stop Inshara. Time to find a way between worlds. Time to find each other again.

Nimh still holds on to her divinity, if only by a thread.

In her final confrontation with Inshara, the woman determined to take her place and rule Nimh’s kingdom, both Nimh and her enemy were sent to the world above, in the cloudlands.

Now North looks to the sky, left behind on the surface world.

Desperate for a chance to join the girl he loves and save his world, North will stop at nothing to find a way back to his home in the sky-city of Ciel. Before it’s too late to save anyone.

But more awaits them in the world above than North or Nimh could ever expect. And as they come together and team up with allies from above and below, they face an ultimate test of their bond, their abilities, and their belief in each other in a quest to save their worlds.

Vivid, compelling, and absolutely magnetic, this much-anticipated sequel to New York Times bestselling authors Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner’s The Other Side of the Sky has something for every reader: a star-crossed love full of tantalizing longing, unique and immersive new worlds to explore, and nonstop thrills that escalate into an unforgettably electric conclusion.

458 pages, Hardcover

First published January 18, 2022

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amie Kaufman

34 books12.5k followers
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her multi-award winning work is slated for publication in over 30 countries, and is in development for film and TV. Raised in Australia and occasionally Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution. She lives in Melbourne with her husband and daughter, their rescue dog, and an extremely large personal library. She is the host of the podcasts Amie Kaufman on Writing, and Pub Dates.

You can sign up for her newsletter to see what she's working on, hear when she releases a new book, and be automatically entered for giveaways: https://amiekaufman.substack.com/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
50 (3%)
1 star
13 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 212 reviews
Profile Image for jessica.
2,481 reviews29.8k followers
February 3, 2022
im so bummed this is a duology because i want more! but this final installment wraps of the story very nicely, very sweetly, so i cant really complain.

the strength of this book, and series as a whole, is definitely in the imagery and world-building. i am still so in awe at the seamless blend of sci-fi and fantasy, technology and magic, science and belief. its a really great balance and adds a lot of dimension to the story, not to mention interesting developments/growth for the characters.

i will say that the way the story ends isnt really a surprise. its pretty easy to see early on what the big climax is going to be and how everything is going to be resolved. so its the little nuggets of world-building and character development that make this conclusion worth reading.

overall, another great series by these ladies. cant wait to see what they come up with next!

4 stars
Profile Image for Morgan.
135 reviews143 followers
June 26, 2022
I’m so in love with this duology and all of the characters. The amount of serotonin these books gives me is insane. Full RTC when Goodreads starts to work consistently for me 😭

Pre-read Review

Update: The cover is GORGEOUS but Kaufman & Spooner really took my "no rush" to heart. This is now a 2022 release 😭

Ms. Kaufman, Ms. Spooner... I know it says 2021 but could that possibly mean January 1st? Just a thought, no rush though - you both are brilliant, thank you for your hard work 🥺
Profile Image for Sylvie .
603 reviews795 followers
April 3, 2022
4.25 out of 5 stars.

This duo can write!

That's it, that's my review.

***********************************
I loved 'The Other Side of the Sky' so naturally I'm expecting to love this too. I really hope this will turn out to be a good conclusion to the duology.
Profile Image for Bethany Dickey.
831 reviews141 followers
January 30, 2022
I am OBSESSED with this duology and will now be pushing it on everyone I know
1 review
December 1, 2020
I just finished the first book and so I was looking for the second book, just to find out that it hasn't been released 😭😭😭😭 I'm definitely looking forward to see what happens to North and Nimh!!!
Profile Image for Shadowbooker.
133 reviews62 followers
January 19, 2022
I'm already missing this world and characters dearly and I literally finished the book less than a minute ago.
This book was the perfect wrap up for the duology, it answered all the questions but left me wanting more which is always an amazing feeling. North and Nimh are precious and I
just wished this book was 20 times longer just so I could keep living in their world.
Kaufman and Spooner gave us a world that is magical and diverse and this has became my favorite duology perhaps ever.
Profile Image for Sarah.
234 reviews25 followers
February 24, 2022
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/5

𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙧𝙚: Fantasy/sci-fi
𝙁𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙩: Audiobook
𝙂𝙤𝙤𝙙𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙨 𝙍𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜: 4.13

𝙁𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙌𝙪𝙤𝙩𝙚: "But I don’t think it’s about that. If this endless cycle of exodus and strife tells me anything, it’s that it is the most human thing in the world to disagree. But I think it’s in the trying to come together that we find our purpose.”

𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙇𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙙:
Perfect mix of fantasy AND sci fi (magic vs. technology)
Multiple POVs
Fast paced
Male narrator (North) was fantastic

𝙍𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙬:

Beyond the End of the World is the conclusion to The Other Side of the Sky duology, and overall it was a good read. North and Nimh continue to work through balancing their relationship with each other with the duties they each have to their people. Their relationship is very sweet and honestly was probably my favorite part of the book.

Inshara, on the other hand, is a very unlikeable villain, and to be honest I was really over her by the end of the book. I didn’t particularly like her character’s journey and just found her to be kind of annoying 😂 I felt that it made the plot a little repetitive or stagnant at times and I just wanted to be rid of her.

The balance of magic and technology really makes this the perfect mix of sci fi and fantasy. I like that the magic is never explained away by science, leaving a bit of a mysterious quality to everything. I enjoyed the first book more than this one, and I wish I had physically read book 2 instead of listening to audiobook so the reading experiences were more comparable. Overall this is an enjoyable duology and I certainly recommend it to sci-fi/fantasy lovers!
Profile Image for Célia Cross.
318 reviews
February 5, 2022
"We have survived this darkest of nights, and together, we will see the rise of hope and prosperity to light this land once more."

Oh. My. God.

I never thought I'd say this, but this sequel was better than the first book! The first one had all of the worldbuilding and the very slow beginning. But this one? Amazing pacing, on-point characters, and a great plot!

First of all, the characters were the same. I've noticed in most sequels, the characters seem different than when the author(s) first wrote them. However, this was not the case in Beyond the End of the World. Nimh still has her rules, she still is as fiery and intelligent as before, but her character arc flowed nicely into the story. She began to not put so much pressure on herself and began allowing others to help her. North also became stronger and bolder in this sequel.

In nearly every story like this, however, I've also found the villain tends to become the love interest (e.g. Wrath from Kingdom of the Wicked). However, this story had an actual HATEABLE villain! I HATED Inshara, and she got everything she deserved in the end.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the beginning and how Nimh had lost her memory. It is one of my LEAST favorite tropes because memory loss just seems like a stupid way to push the plot along. But the rest of the story trumped this fact, so I am still giving it a solid 5 stars.

The end was the perfect way to close the story. Sweet and sad, but also so full of hope. Spooner and Kaufman wrote a story with a perfect blend of sci-fi and fantasy, romance and hate, grief and hope, and darkness and light.
Profile Image for Carola.
410 reviews25 followers
December 5, 2022
3,5*

I wanted to read more about the cat, I liked her the most 😄
Profile Image for Alexiani G.
232 reviews25 followers
August 30, 2022
First of all I have to say that this book has some kind of magical ingredient that made be ANXIOUS for about 15% of the book and then I couldn’t hold my anxiety in check and had to read the epilogue to see if they were okay BUT even knowing the end I was STILL anxious… I mean, I don’t know what made this book so interesting that I couldn’t be okay until Nimh and North were together again.

And now with the review *lol* I didn’t know what to expect with the beginning of this book because Nimh was left with Insha in Alciel –the big floating city- and North was left behind in the Below so some part of me didn’t want to go through the whole fighting and getting to the queen thing or the “she’s a liar I’m the real one” kind of thing so I found the “prologue” to be very smart, to begin two weeks after they arrived at Alciel and then to read about Nimh not knowing who she is and then North fighting to find a way to go back to his home –Nimh<3- and winning the respect of the people around him while doing that was great.

I don’t know why but this book has a piece of something that made me love it right away. The book is so easily read that I was IN the story with them. The book is fast-paced, interesting, the characters are loveable and amazing –especially that cat because that cat IS a main character, the dude hit the nail every time he had the chance- and the ones that are meant to be hated are terrible, Elkisa, as always, will have my hatred but I kind of understood her position, even with Insha at the end, the poor girl only needed love. Also, these authors were so clever when writing this book because, like in the first book, they found a way to take normal and ordinary things and made them amazing. That part when they discover they come from earth was one of my favorites because I totally didn’t see it coming. I really thought they were in some made up world that had nothing to do with earth and finding that out was so extraordinary that I felt like I found a treasure that no one had discover before, it was awesome.

For a moment, nobody speaks. Then Nimh leans forward and asks, “What’s Earth?”

The one thing that holds this story is, of course, the love story between our main characters: North and Nimh. This is one of the best love-matching stories I have read because the books nowadays are soooooo packed with sexual content that reading this cute romance was a breath of fresh air. They are so immensely innocent or cure or adorable or heart-warming that it was impossible not to love them. I found myself feeling butterflies in my stomach while reading the scene when they first touched their hands, I mean, THEIR HANDS! To hold someone’s hand is SO meaningless right now that it’s something we don’t take into account anymore and Amie and Meagan made it world altering and I LOVED that. Their entire relationship was beautiful and I loved how they –even though they didn’t really know each other that well- respected each other and found a way to help the other without making them feel less. I just love this two and they made me happy.

“Oh, Nimh.” His voice is a bewildering, tantalizing mix of sadness and longing, as his eyes fall to the place where he’s holding me. “I wanted it to be me too.”

And one of the things that I really appreciated about this book is the subtle yet direct way it talks about the social pressure or dare I say-attack- everyone had over Nimh, North and Insha. They received so much pressure on how to act, how to be, what not to be, how to talk, think, live, that it made them in people they were not supposed to be, the good news for Nimh and North is that they found their true selves with the help of one another but for Insha and even Talamar, that was not the case, they could have been brave and lovely people only if the world around them had giving them the chance. That happens today and it was amazing to see that message in this book.

Overall, this is an amazing book with amazing characters and an easy going plot, fast-paced and perfect to relax –even with my anxiety attacks over what would happen with them xD-
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Karolina Kat.
192 reviews53 followers
February 12, 2022
It's such a rare mix of magic and technology, so beautiful and Ghibli-esque.
Profile Image for ☆ Anushka ☆ (on semi hiatus).
53 reviews31 followers
Want to read
July 5, 2021
We've got a cover and a synopsis (is made just for me ;) which makes me feel there's nothing better than this. My heart is going to beat the heck out of my ribs 😍
Profile Image for Layla.
464 reviews4 followers
April 10, 2022
Fast paced, emotional and action packed.

I really love that the first book pushed the fantasy aspect of this series and the second really pushed the sci-fi aspect. My two favourite genres blended beautifully in this duology.

Lovers of books centred on fate, faith and magic will adore this duology.
Profile Image for Lewis Fisher.
278 reviews1 follower
January 22, 2022
the first one was fun and inventive and great and i dont know why this one fell sort of flat. dunno. maybe im just too old for ya.
Profile Image for Sophie (lambsbooks).
158 reviews15 followers
September 24, 2022
THE NORTH STAR. How did I not see that coming?😅

The Bindle Cat was the true main character, may he live forever
Profile Image for The knight of galaxies~.
55 reviews6 followers
January 27, 2022
10/10 stars.

The book was fantastic. There are no words to describe how much I enjoyed it. When they said "Perfect for fans of Brandon Sanderson and Laini Taylor", they weren't kidding. I felt a sense of loss after finishing this book, as if I had lost a friend. I just wish I could have more Nimh and North, more books for these characters ( Yes, I'm attached to fictional characters). Unfortunately, because this is a duology, there will be no more (**uncontrollably sobbing in my head**).

I read the entire book in one sitting and it was well worth it. The most important aspect of a book, in my opinion, is authentic characters. My previous reviews, I believe, speak for themselves, in this regard. The characters in this book were superbly written. Their dilemmas, hopes, and fears are all laid bare for the reader to experience. The intriguing plot was the cherry on top. The book had a great pace and did not lag at any point of time. The duology was beautifully concluded at the end of this book.

I don't think my review does the book justice, but I sincerely hope it has persuaded you to read it. If I have, my work here is done. I sincerely hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
Profile Image for Alicia.
1,129 reviews52 followers
February 20, 2022
This series has such a great blend of magic and technology; science and mystical. Some of the twists were a bit tried and true for this duo, but still fun. There were some nice little ties in they must have planned out beforehand that were pretty amusing. I loved how their entire worlds were built on whispers and gossip that got misconstrued over time.
I didn't want to put this down, but life interrupted at some really good bits, and I kept trying to rush through things to get back into this world. There's a lot of high stakes things happening, and with the alternating chapters and where they choose to cut scenes off it is so addicting.
Inshara was a truly terrifying villain with her power. No spoilers, but *shudders* nope. Do not want to cross that.
Brindle cat was done so well too. Such a subtle but very excellent pet to use in this context; he really manages to bring that little extra to the book somehow.
Profile Image for H_of_Reading.
60 reviews1 follower
August 19, 2022
Sehr spannender 2. Teil der Duologie über North und Nimh, Prinz der oberen Welt und Göttin der unteren Welt. Die beiden Autorinnen haben in 2 Büchern geschafft, was andere über 7 Bücher strecken. Wir haben 2 neue Welten und Völker kennengelernt, die in diesem Band noch mal auf ganz andere Weise miteinander agieren müssen, es war höchst spannend und man hat etwas mehr darüber gelernt, wie sich die Völker getrennt haben. Ein krasser Mix aus Magie, Wissenschaft und Schicksal, der einen zuweilen überrollt, weil man Hintergründe versteht, sich aber auch neue Fragen ergeben. Dazu kommen Fragen der Moral, der Freundschaft, Liebe, Loyalität und nach der eigenen Rolle in diesem Leben.

Die Autorinnen haben ein zufriedenstellendes Ende für die Duologie gefunden.
Profile Image for Amy Braun.
Author 30 books343 followers
February 19, 2022
This is an underrated series that I wish would get more attention! It’s a gentle, but still emotional story about two characters working to find each other and restore the balance of their worlds.

Nimh and North spend most of the book apart, struggling with the aftermath and how best to reunite to stall a dangerous deity. As they learn more secrets and face numerous internal and external challenges, we see them grow as characters. When they are together, they are a sweet and timid couple whose personal insecurities keep them apart until it is time to grow. This ties into the important themes about the book, regarding faith, belief, compassion, and empathy.

While much of this book is about the personal journeys of these two characters, there are some harrowing fight scenes, especially in the middle. The settings and descriptions are also very well crafted.

The one complaint is that this book did something that kind of annoys me: Ending a chapter then jumping straight to the epilogue. I would have enjoyed a little more drama and tension after such a harrowing experience, but again, this is just a personal preference and it doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the book.

BEYOND THE END OF THE WORLD is a bit of a slower adventure than most YA fare, but I think it is solid and enjoyable for anyone needing a meaningful read.
March 18, 2022
I could write an entire review about how much I love North, he’s my favorite character in this duology.

BUT, I will tell you about this book instead. I really enjoyed this book. I like how it connected where it left off and how the worlds became intertwined. I love the found families, the bonds between existing families, and how loyal characters are to each other in these books.

Also, the writing is amazing and so consistent.

Ugh, I loved them.

If someone tells you to read these books, read them. They deserve so much more hype.

PS: North? Book boy supreme.
Profile Image for Scarlett.
577 reviews54 followers
February 3, 2022
Although I definitely liked the first book more, I’m a huge fan of anything Amie Kaufman does, and I think this was an incredibly imagined world with really excellent characters! The world is really the standout of this series, it’s super unique and I loved slowly figuring out what was really going on here. I really enjoyed finding out answers about this world in this second book, some things I was surprised by, some things not, but all of it was really well done. I really felt immersed in the story and connected to the characters, I’m kinda sad to say goodbye to them! But I do feel like the series is wrapped up nicely with all my questions answered. Definitely recommend for fantasy/sci fi fans!
Profile Image for Ashley.
1,050 reviews14 followers
February 7, 2022
It feels like I've been waiting for the conclusion to The Other Side of the Sky for FOREVER but now? Oh man, now I started Beyond the End of the World and I just could not stop. For those of us who have been desperate to return to the Ghibli-inspired world of Alciel and Below, to know the fates of North and Nimh, trust me when I say you will not be disappointed. I loved these books so much - Beyond the End of the World gives us an extremely satisfying conclusion to Nimh and North's story. Also! Know that the Bindle Cat makes it to the very end, safe and sound and unharmed, so if you, like me, are most concerned about the fate of the cat, know that the cat is OK. Nothing bad happens to the cat.

God, I loved these books so much. Someone please get a hold of Studio Ghibli so they can make an anime of these books. Please? I need it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 212 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.